Which rookie will make the biggest impact in 2023 ?

samwize77

Reaction score
I'm hoping they all do well of course.......but if Hall shines right out of the gate, and gets alot of pressures/sacks I'm thinking he could make a bigger difference for our defense than JSN can make for our offense.
YMMV

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
When cut down time gets here I think we're going to lose some really good players just because there isn't enough room to keep them all.
I agree.

By my count, considering several veterans like Adams, Mone and Brooks may start the season on PUP or IR, it looks like there's room for somewhere between 5 to 8 UDFAs to make the team, assuming all 10 drafts picks make the final roster.

Surprisingly to me, the team either cut or did not re-sign 28 players from last year, though admittedly some of those were on the practice squad or retired... but that's a LOT of turnover.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If Olu Olu wins the starting job, he could be playing nearly every offensive snap. That makes it possible for him to have an enormous positive impact even if he ends up performing below the league average but still safely above replacement level. If he wins the job and is league-average or better (lots of "ifs" here), he can blow away the competition in terms of positive impact even if, say, Witherspoon has a Pro Bowl-worthy season.
"Olu Olu"...I like it!

bileever

Reaction score
By my count, considering several veterans like Adams, Mone and Brooks may start the season on PUP or IR, it looks like there's room for somewhere between 5 to 8 UDFAs to make the team, assuming all 10 drafts picks make the final roster.

Surprisingly to me, the team either cut or did not re-sign 28 players from last year, though admittedly some of those were on the practice squad or retired... but that's a LOT of turnover.
This feels a little like 2010, when John Schneider made 284 roster transactions and half of the previous year's team was replaced. Just like 2010, last year's roster (at least on the defensive side) had a lot of holes. In addition to wholesale changes to the d-line and linebacking corps, there's going to be new faces in the secondary as well. The starting defense could have 7 new faces this year.

@onanygivensunday -- did you mean 5 to 8 rookies, or UDFAs? I doubt that there will be that many UDFAs making the team, but I suppose it's possible if you count the practice squad. I'm thinking that Jake Bobo and Jonah Tavai are the most likely to make it, with Holton Ahlers and Matt Landers going to the practice squad. But if more than a couple UDFAs make the 53-man roster, we're in trouble because it means that the roster is still not very good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tough question.

Unless something terrible happens in training camp, Witherspoon SHOULD have the biggest impact just from being the full time starter and making an immediate impact on the defense.

Njigba might take some more time to integrate into the offense and find his mojo with the offense.

Long term I might vote Njigba, but for 2023? I think (and hope) it's Witherspoon. You don't pick a CB at 5 and not have him be a complete baller right out of the gate. That'd be bad.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
@onanygivensunday -- did you mean 5 to 8 rookies, or UDFAs? I doubt that there will be that many UDFAs making the team, but I suppose it's possible if you count the practice squad. I'm thinking that Jake Bobo and Jonah Tavai are the most likely to make it, with Holton Ahlers and Matt Landers going to the practice squad. But if more than a couple UDFAs make the 53-man roster, we're in trouble because it means that the roster is still not very good.
I actually meant 5 to 8 UDFAs, but on 2nd thought both UDFAs and some of last year's PS players.

Looking at our depth chart, I counted who I thought was a lock, and then subtracted that number from 53 and assumed that Adams, Mone and Brooks all will start on the PUP/IR list, which opens up the door for both last year's PS players and UDFAs to fill.

It's just a guess.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I haven't seen him play. I just listen to a lot of radio and didn't Carroll say something about him in that last conference? I heard he's pro ready, he's picked up everything they're feeding him
positionally and leadership skills. Came from a top pro factory.

Of course ,they go on and in about the new players , they wouldn't go " hey ,I think we really crapped our pants on this one " publicly.

I think he starts. What do you think?
I honestly don’t know. It is not easy for a 5th round pick to beat a veteran starter in training camp, but I guess we’ll soon see whether Olu is as good as advertised.

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
This dude could have great potential and seems to be a lot safer pick in the 5th round than say Chris Spencer at 26 in the first round. Maybe the brain trust is finally adjusting from past draft failures concerning the center position. Hope he is worthy to be a starter-we need a long term bruiser at center. Someone cue “All the young dudes.” We have a plethora of rookie talent to go around. I’m pumped every offseason but this one has some sparkle to it.

Last edited:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I’m going to throw a name into this ring that at first glance is not a name you’d expect to hold a lot of weight nor have the biggest impact.

That rookie is a 5’10, 290 NT in UDFA Jonah Tavai.

Don’t get me wrong though while I feel Tavai will make the roster, I don’t think he’s going to be superstar with his length metrics and in this particular scheme, I see him more like a spot starter at best. However, I do see him having high value in being a scout level Aaron Donald capable of preparing our interior linemen against those type of shorter, physical type DTs. I also can envision him being a capable rotational/change of pace interior pass-rusher specifically in 3rd and Long or Late Game sets in the mold of a Clinton McDonald type. I can envision him being able to dominate unsuspecting and/or tired O-linemen especially if they sleep or skip on his rep.

That is not the true impact though as to why I’m putting his name in this thread while many of you might see him as just a mere PS player.

I don’t know how many of you had the privy to dive into Tavai’s game and how he’s not only been successful enough but how he’s been highly elite in productivity measures against the run or pass despite being prototypically short on everything else.

If you know what I’m talking about then you know in order to dominate like he has the past two seasons in college with all that mass productivity Tavai had to master all aspects of his position, hone his craft around his limitations whilst learning to also use it to his advantage.

Tavai in my opinion is honestly a walking visually representation on how you want your D-Linemen to play. He can come in to work every day, every rep and put on a technical clinic like a 10 year vet. He can co-host Ted Talks with Pete on “Winning Forever with Competitive Leverage”. He pops off explosively with purpose and intent using his strength and leverage to win the advantage with anticipation and awareness fully understanding the mental chess match within the chess match being able to quickly diagnose and effectively combo or counter with a plethora of moves with button mashing intensity.

A gritty, tough as nails, mentally prepared, undersized overachiever like the Lofa Tatupu of DTs. You ain’t think he got size or athletic metrics to get the job done but he’s gonna find a way to warrior through the rep and win and come back and do it over and over again.

But the impact I’m talking about is we got another couple rookie DTs with quality tape highlighting some quality strengths I feel can translate well over time and skill sets the Seahawks can develop and play with. But they also aren’t complete all-around players just yet that really have to put in the work, the extra work, to really take their games to the next level to be in the least viable, dependable players capable of manning a starting level role.

Who better than Tavai to help show these guys how to compete every rep, he’s not the biggest, nor strongest, nor most athletic, nor lengthiest, nor quickest dude on the block. Yet he is able to get the most out of his physicality and skill set and do it smartly in the right way over-coming his limitations.

For Morris, it’s helping to get his pad level on his 6’5 frame down more consistently and popping off more explosively with better leverage opportunities while he develops his own core and base power to be able to hold up against the run better. Morris already uses his hands, length. and strength very well with savvy feet work to win as a pass-rusher that you can line up anywhere and is a rather heads up player in terms of being to shed his block off when the ball carrier is within reach. But you can never have enough mental approach in how to combo everything together more effectively in your physical approach. If you can get Morris’s game on Tavai’s level, and if he can eventually handle 2 gapping responsibilities with poise and skill, the potential is there for Morris to be the most dominant DT in this class. I’m talking about a built-up, muscled-up, base developed 6’5, 310-320 monster that plays with both power and finesse on the edge.

For Young, his rush defense is already pretty sturdy and well developed, one of the best in his class. However, what made him available in the 4th round was a lack of pass rush upside and development. However with 34 inch arms with a stout body with quality control on maintaining leverage the potential is there to improve in this area. If Young is coachable as well as determined to improve, Tavai can help shorten Young’s learning curve as a pass-rusher. Young doesn’t have to be stellar but if he can develop a repertoire of moves with the mental understanding of when and how to use them effectively, he can be more complete than just a 2 down player that your forced to sub-out. It’s fine if Young can develop somewhere between a Mebane and Woods type NT but the key to unlocking more value is getting him to step-up and being able to function as a disrupter type pass-rusher, that might not have the finishing touch and kill skills, but can at least collapse the pocket and make the QB uncomfortable while using those long-arms to close some passing windows.

Impact multiplier: The better and more rounded both Young and Morris can become, the easier it will be for the vets on the DLine to play-up and impact the game. The more capable the DLine is at doing their jobs, the easier it will become for the LBers to play-up and impact the game. The more capable the front 7 is in doing their jobs, the easier it will become for a stacked Secondary to play-up and impact the game. Hopefully, creating a better defense all-around.

So while some might consider Tavai an outlier or just a guy. I highly respect his ability and how he had to really hone his craft mentality to be so successful despite his physical limitations and despite that size and length how he goes about his business and warriors each and every rep similarly to what an Aaron Donald brings to the table, a barrage of skill and strength and leverage paired with an unforgiving motor and determination to win that never seems to ever revv down.

Hopefully, all these guys but more specifically the young guys are taking notes on Tavai, watching him work, and they also put in the work to implement, the way he has to battle and master his game with little margin for error, into their own games. If that can happen I can really see this defense kicking ass and taking names like the LOB did.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
We don’t really know yet how well any of these new DL guys can play. I think the offense will be very good, and the DL will be the determining factor in how far the team advances this year. Young will be critical in that equation.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think even with what will be a stellar review of our draft class, coming out of camp, Olu will be the story and carry that banner through the season. He'll make the Hawks O line the story of the draft 2 years running and be the cog that unleashes the potential of our offense on the ground and through the air.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I’m going to throw a name into this ring that at first glance is not a name you’d expect to hold a lot of weight nor have the biggest impact.

That rookie is a 5’10, 290 NT in UDFA Jonah Tavai.

Don’t get me wrong though while I feel Tavai will make the roster, I don’t think he’s going to be superstar with his length metrics and in this particular scheme, I see him more like a spot starter at best. However, I do see him having high value in being a scout level Aaron Donald capable of preparing our interior linemen against those type of shorter, physical type DTs. I also can envision him being a capable rotational/change of pace interior pass-rusher specifically in 3rd and Long or Late Game sets in the mold of a Clinton McDonald type. I can envision him being able to dominate unsuspecting and/or tired O-linemen especially if they sleep or skip on his rep.

That is not the true impact though as to why I’m putting his name in this thread while many of you might see him as just a mere PS player.

I don’t know how many of you had the privy to dive into Tavai’s game and how he’s not only been successful enough but how he’s been highly elite in productivity measures against the run or pass despite being prototypically short on everything else.

If you know what I’m talking about then you know in order to dominate like he has the past two seasons in college with all that mass productivity Tavai had to master all aspects of his position, hone his craft around his limitations whilst learning to also use it to his advantage.

Tavai in my opinion is honestly a walking visually representation on how you want your D-Linemen to play. He can come in to work every day, every rep and put on a technical clinic like a 10 year vet. He can co-host Ted Talks with Pete on “Winning Forever with Competitive Leverage”. He pops off explosively with purpose and intent using his strength and leverage to win the advantage with anticipation and awareness fully understanding the mental chess match within the chess match being able to quickly diagnose and effectively combo or counter with a plethora of moves with button mashing intensity.

A gritty, tough as nails, mentally prepared, undersized overachiever like the Lofa Tatupu of DTs. You ain’t think he got size or athletic metrics to get the job done but he’s gonna find a way to warrior through the rep and win and come back and do it over and over again.

But the impact I’m talking about is we got another couple rookie DTs with quality tape highlighting some quality strengths I feel can translate well over time and skill sets the Seahawks can develop and play with. But they also aren’t complete all-around players just yet that really have to put in the work, the extra work, to really take their games to the next level to be in the least viable, dependable players capable of manning a starting level role.

Who better than Tavai to help show these guys how to compete every rep, he’s not the biggest, nor strongest, nor most athletic, nor lengthiest, nor quickest dude on the block. Yet he is able to get the most out of his physicality and skill set and do it smartly in the right way over-coming his limitations.

For Morris, it’s helping to get his pad level on his 6’5 frame down more consistently and popping off more explosively with better leverage opportunities while he develops his own core and base power to be able to hold up against the run better. Morris already uses his hands, length. and strength very well with savvy feet work to win as a pass-rusher that you can line up anywhere and is a rather heads up player in terms of being to shed his block off when the ball carrier is within reach. But you can never have enough mental approach in how to combo everything together more effectively in your physical approach. If you can get Morris’s game on Tavai’s level, and if he can eventually handle 2 gapping responsibilities with poise and skill, the potential is there for Morris to be the most dominant DT in this class. I’m talking about a built-up, muscled-up, base developed 6’5, 310-320 monster that plays with both power and finesse on the edge.

For Young, his rush defense is already pretty sturdy and well developed, one of the best in his class. However, what made him available in the 4th round was a lack of pass rush upside and development. However with 34 inch arms with a stout body with quality control on maintaining leverage the potential is there to improve in this area. If Young is coachable as well as determined to improve, Tavai can help shorten Young’s learning curve as a pass-rusher. Young doesn’t have to be stellar but if he can develop a repertoire of moves with the mental understanding of when and how to use them effectively, he can be more complete than just a 2 down player that your forced to sub-out. It’s fine if Young can develop somewhere between a Mebane and Woods type NT but the key to unlocking more value is getting him to step-up and being able to function as a disrupter type pass-rusher, that might not have the finishing touch and kill skills, but can at least collapse the pocket and make the QB uncomfortable while using those long-arms to close some passing windows.

Impact multiplier: The better and more rounded both Young and Morris can become, the easier it will be for the vets on the DLine to play-up and impact the game. The more capable the DLine is at doing their jobs, the easier it will become for the LBers to play-up and impact the game. The more capable the front 7 is in doing their jobs, the easier it will become for a stacked Secondary to play-up and impact the game. Hopefully, creating a better defense all-around.

So while some might consider Tavai an outlier or just a guy. I highly respect his ability and how he had to really hone his craft mentality to be so successful despite his physical limitations and despite that size and length how he goes about his business and warriors each and every rep similarly to what an Aaron Donald brings to the table, a barrage of skill and strength and leverage paired with an unforgiving motor and determination to win that never seems to ever revv down.

Hopefully, all these guys but more specifically the young guys are taking notes on Tavai, watching him work, and they also put in the work to implement, the way he has to battle and master his game with little margin for error, into their own games. If that can happen I can really see this defense kicking ass and taking names like the LOB did.
Sounds like Jonah Tavai could be similar to what Joe Nash was in the 1980s. That would be a really good thing. Nash wasn't the biggest guy but he was gritty, relentless, and tough.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I think even with what will be a stellar review of our draft class, coming out of camp, Olu will be the story and carry that banner through the season. He'll make the Hawks O line the story of the draft 2 years running and be the cog that unleashes the potential of our offense on the ground and through the air.
I’ve been watching some Evan Brown tape. He looks technically very solid, especially his zone blocking in the running game as well as picking up stunts on pass plays. Olu will have his hands full trying to beat him for the starting center job in training camp. This will be interesting to follow.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I’ve been watching some Evan Brown tape. He looks technically very solid, especially his zone blocking in the running game as well as picking up stunts on pass plays. Olu will have his hands full trying to beat him for the starting center job in training camp. This will be interesting to follow.
I watched some of his play after we signed him. He's a pretty solid center. Much better than Blythe imo. Olu has a lot of room to grow and likely ends up the better center over time. I actually think Olu will be an all-pro year 3 or so.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know. It is not easy for a 5th round pick to beat a veteran starter in training camp, but I guess we’ll soon see whether Olu is as good as advertised.
Evan Brown is a veteran, but he's not a 'starter'. He's never won a starting position outright at the beginning of the season. He's always been a reserve that was inserted due to an injury to someone ahead of him.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Evan Brown is a veteran, but he's not a 'starter'. He's never won a starting position outright at the beginning of the season. He's always been a reserve that was inserted due to an injury to someone ahead of him.
He would have started in Seattle last year. That's not saying much though.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
He allowed 2 sacks in 768 snaps last season. For now, he’s penciled as #1 center on the preseason depth charts. None of that matters as much as how he and Olu look when the pads go on in training camp. It will be interesting to follow.