Who is more valuable on the field? Chancellor or Bennett?

Who is more valuable ON THE FIELD - Kam Chancellor or Michael Bennett?

• Kam Chancellor

Votes: 94 75.2%
  • Michael Bennett

Votes: 31 24.8%

• Total voters

rightbench

Reaction score
It needs to be asked a different way. Who is replaceable?

There aren't other Kam Chancellor's out there. They don't exist.

Bennett is a great player but there are other guys who you could put in his position.

netskier

Reaction score
That is a different question with perhaps a different answer. Nothing wrong with the original question.

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
Bennett is great at what he does but isn't a scheme changer like Kam is. Bennett is a piece that is interchangable, granted he plays that role very well and we would be hard pressed to find another like him. He was in the rotation for many more snaps than the year previous.

That being said, you don't replace Kam, or Earl for that matter, those guys are key cogs in our defense. Kam makes every receiver think about him when they are going across the middle and RB's know he'll make them pay for that extra yard. I'll never forget that hit he laid on Vernon Davis in our house, I was there, near the other end zone and I swear to you I felt that hit. Vernon was never the same imho, as Bam Bam stole his soul that night.

rightbench

Reaction score
netskier":353oq80m said:
That is a different question with perhaps a different answer. Nothing wrong with the original question.

Actually it answers the question completely. Chancellor is irreplaceable, therefore more valuable on the field.

Bennett is really good, but there are other guys who do what he does. That's not to say we could afford any of them, but it does mean he's replaceable, and therefore less valuable.

One of a kind trumps one of a few.

Put a different way, with no salary cap in place, and every player in the NFL a free agent, the Seahawks would choose to keep Chancellor at SS and replace Bennett.

kearly

Reaction score
Kam is the tone setter, and just as important, he's a well rounded, solid player who makes plays. The kind of player that tape watchers like even more than casual fans do.

But even considering those things, it's high praise for Kam that this is even a discussion.

I don't have a subscription to PFF, but I would guess that Bennett leads our defense in terms of 'impactful' plays per game. I think our quality depth at DB is better than our depth at pass rush too. Our team can mask injuries and issues in the secondary a lot easier than in the pass rush.

Both are hard to replace. In terms of value on the field I think Bennett's absence would hurt more.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rightbench":79chhcg8 said:
netskier":79chhcg8 said:

Actually it answers the question completely. Chancellor is irreplaceable, therefore more valuable on the field.

Bennett is really good, but there are other guys who do what he does. That's not to say we could afford any of them, but it does mean he's replaceable, and therefore less valuable.

One of a kind trumps one of a few.

Put a different way, with no salary cap in place, and every player in the NFL a free agent, the Seahawks would choose to keep Chancellor at SS and replace Bennett.

You might say they already have with the addition of 2nd Rounder Frank Clark. He is clearly being groomed for that role.

sam1313

Reaction score
Good debate, but I picked Kam. Kam strikes fear into receivers, and while Bennett may play havoc on offenses in general that fear changes games even more (I think). Kam is all the more important without Browner too.

netskier

Reaction score
I agree, and think that drafting Clark was highly motivated by the effect of Avril's concussion in the Superbowl.

chris98251

Reaction score
When you have a bigger Kenny Easley it changes what teams do against you, they fear the Soul Stealer ( I stole it but it so appropriate)

They may fear Bennett getting to the QB for a sack, they fear Kam for their careers.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I voted Kam. That's not a slight to Bennett, I just never have seen anybody afraid of MB the way they are afraid of Kam. Bennett will scare a QB that's about to get hit. Kam will scare the other team's entire receiving corps and change the way they play.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Part of the reason we've been to two consecutive Super Bowls is not having to choose.

Tical21

Reaction score
Bennett, and I agree with Dom, it isn't close, and I like Kam wayyyyy more than I like Bennett. Kam is probably my third favorite Hawk behind Marshawn and Earl.

Pass rush is one of the very most important things in today's game. Don't have one, you're done. Done. Can't say the same thing about strong safety.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1vgr96q7 said:
I am saying Kam just because his size/speed combo is so rare and creates so much of a mismatch

This was my initial assessment as well.

Both guys are very important in different ways. I'd agree that typically, a DE is more valuable than a SS, if both are elite.

Then we get to versatility. Bennett creates a lot of versatility with our DL sets as he can play inside and out, and he's a mismatch for almost any Guard on the inside.

Kam creates versatility with his rare size/speed combo like HawkFan72 mentioned. He can play down in the box and is the best Safety in the league vs. the run. He's also good enough in coverage to hold his own as a safety, and can take away elite players like Graham and Gronkowski when he matches up against them.

I'd say from a psychological standpoint, it's Kam. He sets the physical tone for our defense and it feeds every other player. When Kam thumps someone coming across the middle, it makes every other guy out there better. Plus, he's one of the few guys in the league that can mess up plays just by his presence.

The other way I'd lean towards Kam is that it is easier to replace Bennett than Kam. I honestly think Clark is Bennett's replacment, and if not,there's others out there. Name another guy like Kam in the league. Hell, I can't name one since Atwater. They broke the mold when they made Kam.

kf3339

Reaction score
Love both players, but have to go with Bennett. It is close though.

RW92

Reaction score
The way our pass rush suffered on 3rd downs last year we need them both. There were times when we couldn't get off the field on 3rd and long. Think back to that Dallas game for one last year.

Kam, and Michael

AVL

Reaction score
Kam, unless he's out there hiding an injury while playing.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Xarbx425":rdqvc0d3 said:
Guys! Need help settling a debate with a friend.

I say Kam is more valuable in terms of impact on the field, he says Bennett.
Too tough for me to decide hence my decision to not vote without a third option. It's a cop out I know but deal with it. :)