Who is more valuable on the field? Chancellor or Bennett?

Who is more valuable ON THE FIELD - Kam Chancellor or Michael Bennett?

• Kam Chancellor

Votes: 94 75.2%
  • Michael Bennett

Votes: 31 24.8%

• Total voters

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Depends on which team we are talking about.
For Seattle, it is Kam. We can more easily cover Bennett if he went out.
As far as bad ass goes, it's a tie.

nanomoz

Reaction score
So hard to choose, but I'm going with Kam. He's on a hall-of-fame course; he's the guy that wide receivers have nightmares about. He's rendered division opponents nearly-useless with physicality (Vernon Davis).

I think it'd be easier to find an above-average fill-in for Kam than for Bennett, but I think what Bennett brings can and will be replaced by Frank Clark. (I know, that's a bold statement, but I think that's what the coaches think.)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe a SS is thought to be more valuable to a D than a hard core pressure producer, and a versatile one to boot ( providing pressure from the the interior and the edge). From the forgoing you have my answer. Frankly I think my guy is slightly underpaid.

Kam is a brilliant SS and an ass kicker of the top order. However it isn't even close. If the pass rush isn't there the best CBs and Safeties in the game are exposed. With the pass rush they are the LOB.

I completely am a fan of Kam and think he is the best SS in the game, no doubt he kicks ass. However, each of the DBs appreciates and understands they depend upon a reasonable or better pass rush and our team has the troops who produce pressure and w/o Bennett each of them is less. With the pressure Richard is the best CB in the game, as Thomas is without question the best FS, as Kam is the best SS, but that is not unquestionable, ultimately our RCB, whoever wins the job, will challenge for the job as the best RCB. Pressure makes DBs better.

The correct answer frankly is not really close.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Bennett is being way undervalued by everyone. If you made this a poll about who deserves to get a new contract, I think Kim wins hands down, he deserves one simply because he is already 2 full seasons through his deal and has been All-Pro during that time. Bennett just signed his deal last year and although he did outplay his contract he is not the sack machine like a JJ Watt or Mario Williams and worthy of top $.

I am sure there are some stats out there (baseball style stats) that show the increased win percentage a player has on his team. I believe I have seen one for QBs before.

Great question though and it makes for a heck of a debate.

Seafan

Reaction score
Kam is the best strong safety in the league and my favorite defender. Bennett is the more valuable on the field. Kam is more valuable in the locker room and sets a tone and terror that Bennett doesn't. Kam is a great leader and I'd hate to see him gone but on the field the Hawks will have a harder time replacing what Bennett brings and is the reason they keep looking for that replacement. Hill, Marsh and Clark are a few examples.

chris98251

Reaction score
So if we said Ken Easley and Jacob Green it would be Green then?

themunn

Reaction score
rightbench":2pwsa1g6 said:
It needs to be asked a different way. Who is replaceable?

There aren't other Kam Chancellor's out there. They don't exist.

Bennett is a great player but there are other guys who you could put in his position.

Whilst I agree that there's only one player that can do what Kam does, I don't agree with the sentiment - you could stick Luck, Rodgers or Roethlisberger behind center for us instead of Wilson - doesn't mean Wilson is less valuable to us than Chancellor.

BlueTalon":2pwsa1g6 said:
I voted Kam. That's not a slight to Bennett, I just never have seen anybody afraid of MB the way they are afraid of Kam. Bennett will scare a QB that's about to get hit. Kam will scare the other team's entire receiving corps and change the way they play.

People don't get afraid of MB, but they do absolutely love to fight with him - that can be a bad thing (if you're simply provoking people) or a good thing (if you could beating them and THEN provoking them), and in MB's case, he does the latter a LOT and it pissed opponents off.

With all that said, I think it's a tight call, and I think I let the edge go to Kam because whilst we were sorely lacking in pass-rush in 2012 (pre Avril and pre Bennett), Kam was still delivering monster hits and we were still the best defense in the league. Bennett helped push us even further beyond our competitors, but Kam offers something that no other player in the league can in his ability to destroy WRs and RBs in equal measure.
Every coach in the league is gameplanning every week on how to stop a team's best DE and hence have plenty of experience doing so - but Kam offers a whole new challenge to deal with.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
This was a tough call but the more I thought about it MB is really more valuable to the team. He is very under appreciated in what he can do. But in this league if you can not apply pressure you are doomed. As much as I love Kam as of right now he would be easier to mask than MB. MB is the one D-line we have that is a constant pain in the arse to other teams.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Wenhawk":18wq92wh said:
I think Bennett is being way undervalued by everyone. If you made this a poll about who deserves to get a new contract, I think Kim wins hands down, he deserves one simply because he is already 2 full seasons through his deal and has been All-Pro during that time. Bennett just signed his deal last year and although he did outplay his contract he is not the sack machine like a JJ Watt or Mario Williams and worthy of top $.

I am sure there are some stats out there (baseball style stats) that show the increased win percentage a player has on his team. I believe I have seen one for QBs before.

Bennett is a monster working in tandem with Cliff Avril and we saw how those two controlled Brady ' s play in SB49. When Avril went down went down we weren't nearly as effective and Brady looked masterful in a comeback.
If anyone is truly and consistently UNDERVALUED on that Dline it is Cliff Avril.

Because of his quiet demeanor he doesn't get the exposure or the hype of Bennett.
Take Avril away and Bennett is less effective.
Can we say the same about Kam?
In this age of heavy passing offenses to have an intimidating tone-setter in the secondary who neutralizes big receivers/TE is crucial. Few people play like Kam but on this team ET is probably mini Kam on speed.

Its close but my vote is Kam.

McGruff

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":of0v4qtb said:
Wenhawk":of0v4qtb said:

Bennett is a monster working in tandem with Cliff Avril and we saw how those two controlled Brady ' s play in SB49. When Avril went down went down we weren't nearly as effective and Brady looked masterful in a comeback.
If anyone is truly and consistently UNDERVALUED on that Dline it is Cliff Avril.

Because of his quiet demeanor he doesn't get the exposure or the hype of Bennett.
Take Avril away and Bennett is less effective.
Can we say the same about Kam?
In this age of heavy passing offenses to have an intimidating tone-setter in the secondary who neutralizes big receivers/TE is crucial. Few people play like Kam but on this team ET is probably mini Kam on speed.

Its close but my vote is Kam.

Its funny, cause the criticism of Bruce in the Atlanta playoof loss in 2012 was that once Clemons went down, Bruce couldn't do anything. But nobody mentions that when the same thing happened to Bennett in the 2015 SB.

Pass rush is about synergy. It always takes more than one pass rusher (unless your name is JJ Watt) to create an effective pass rush. Its one of the reasons Pete stockpiles pass rushers. The more the merrier. But Bennett by himself is not an elite pass rusher.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Bennet by a mile. No offense to Kam but he's pretty much a box safety. His hits are punishing and highlight reel worthy. When in coverage he does very well. Its just you can't have too much pass rush. Ever never ever.

netskier

Reaction score
And right now, Bennett is our very best pass rusher. Combined with Avril, they are almost unstoppable at applying pressure.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Chancellor, his hits can alter a star catcher to alter his routes a play little off. That should be enough to tilt the game in our favor. Pass rushing is good, but we need someone who can play fearless and instill fear on our opponents. There is no better person than Kam.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2sav5f2u said:
Its funny, cause the criticism of Bruce in the Atlanta playoof loss in 2012 was that once Clemons went down, Bruce couldn't do anything. But nobody mentions that when the same thing happened to Bennett in the 2015 SB.

Pass rush is about synergy. It always takes more than one pass rusher (unless your name is JJ Watt) to create an effective pass rush. Its one of the reasons Pete stockpiles pass rushers. The more the merrier. But Bennett by himself is not an elite pass rusher.

Of course the same synergy argument can be made for the effectiveness of our DBs who rely on the pass rush pressure exerted by the DLine.

Bennett creates a lot of pressure, hurries and hits, but not an elite number of sacks of course a lot of that is because other guys were doing their jobs at the same time. That pressure points out his value to the team. The team was able to take the next step and become the annual contender it has become after the addition of Bennett and Avril to Clemons and Irvin, but the one guy on the DLine who consistently and regularly beats doubles is MB. I disagree with your conclusion MB is not an elite pass rusher, but accept he doesn't have the sacks some of the other elite pass rushers have. W/o MB's contributions the team is a lot more vulnerable to pocket passers.

chris98251

Reaction score
chris98251":12sv2y33 said:
So if we said Ken Easley and Jacob Green it would be Green then?

Still waiting for a reply, the comparison is virtually the same a SS and the best pass rusher on the team at that time.

Latest posts