Why not blame Russell Wilson

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Wenhawk":bocvf7ym said:
Smellyman":bocvf7ym said:
Because he had .7 seconds.

On run plays the Dline was meeting RW and the RBs at handoff.

Wenhawk":bocvf7ym said:
He was pressured a bit .

LOL

I call BS. Rodgers was pressured more than Russ difference is more than half the time the ball was out of his hands almost instantly.

What game were you watching where Rogers was pressured more than Russ? Russ had denfenders in his lap before he could even make a read

erik2690

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/907295250837905408[/tweet]

I'm sure people have seen this, but this can't happen. Maybe this is an extreme example, but I think it's closer to this way more often than can happen to have any great success.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1sutl0y4 said:
JTB":1sutl0y4 said:
Biscanebay12":1sutl0y4 said:
Bobblehead":1sutl0y4 said:
Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

He's gone away from what makes the offense as effective as it used to be. Those read zone plays, where he actually ran the ball.. bootlegs.

I still think he's too short for those quick slants and outs as he just can't find the targets fast enough through those huge linemen.

He needs to start do what he used to do until he can't do it no more, it's his game and that won't change.

He hasn't been the same since Marshawn left.

Wilson was fine without Marshawn in 2015 when Rawls was playing great. They need to establish a good running game for the team to play at their best offensively AND defensively.

If Carson can continue to develop and Rawls comes back, it will help a lot. Play action doesn't work when you cannot run it.

Bingo.

So listen to me Pete and quit playing Lacy, he ain't gonna work behind this terrible line........unless you like your RB to run sideways and lose three yards every carry.

Rawls, Carson and Prosise. Rinse and repeat.

And I will say it again. RW and ML were great TOGETHER. They ran the read option. A d couldn't focus on RW or ML and RW would run for 500-900 yards per year. They helped each other.

RW can protect himself on a read option. He can't just drop back in this pathetic 'pocket' this oline gives or he will die.

Start scheming Bevell, it's your only job.

Smellyman

Reaction score
erik2690":c7401i20 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/907295250837905408[/tweet]

I'm sure people have seen this, but this can't happen. Maybe this is an extreme example, but I think it's closer to this way more often than can happen to have any great success.

It's simple, RW has to be better.

:roll:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Russ does need to play better, but how much hits would you allow him to take just to make plays like this?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/907295250837905408/video/1[/tweet]

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
xStickybudz":3ixdi05f said:
Wenhawk":3ixdi05f said:
Smellyman":3ixdi05f said:

Wenhawk":3ixdi05f said:
He was pressured a bit .

LOL

I call BS. Rodgers was pressured more than Russ difference is more than half the time the ball was out of his hands almost instantly.

What game were you watching where Rogers was pressured more than Russ? Russ had denfenders in his lap before he could even make a read

I guess the stats showed Russ got pressured on a higer percent of snaps that Rodgers did but I watched the game and play after play wondered why it seemed Wilson didn't just take 3 steps and fire like Rodgers did.

That fact that he is not as comfortable or successful doing that might have a lot to do with why GB was able to pressure more or send more pressure. That stats I want to see is..

Release time Russ vs Rodgers
How many rushers per play Sea vs GB Defense.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1vjpnvbv said:
xStickybudz":1vjpnvbv said:
Wenhawk":1vjpnvbv said:
Smellyman":1vjpnvbv said:

LOL

wondered why it seemed Wilson didn't just take 3 steps and fire like Rodgers did.

That fact that he is not as comfortable or successful doing that might have a lot to do with why GB was able to pressure more or send more pressure.

Not comfortable doing that? He dominated the league doing that.

Get back to it BEVELL

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2py0he2r said:
SoulfishHawk":2py0he2r said:
Because he was about to be crushed by the defender and had to rush it. But yes he has to make that throw.
The fumble was yet again on a play where the blockers did squat. But he does have to squeeze that ball tight.
He was PART of it, but that O Line was absolutely putrid.

What little blame that can be cast on Rw is so low on the list we should not even be talking about it. I mean the RBs have more blame than Rw, as do the WR/TE. Hence why we are talking about it make no sense. NO one in their right mind starts with the least responsible area, you start with the most which is the OLine.

Did you watch the game?

How in any way did our WR's play worse than Russ? I smell a complete RW homer. The guy is a really good QB but when you are making $20 Mil a year and are supposed to be in the best shape of our life and in the prime years of your career, there is no excuse.I think both Pete and Russ are at fault.

Pete for allowing a subpar coaching effort on Offense and personnel decisions

Russ for not overcoming the obstacles by making audibles, faster reads and putting the ball into his WR hands (ie Lockett)

As bad as the OL played I think Russell not making them pay only compounded the issue. As my original argument was, at this point in his career he shoudl be able to make the calls necessary at the line to put this team ina better position to succeed. Even 1 TD out of Russ would have been nice.

Give Stafford, Netwon, Eli, or any other $100 Mil QB the defense we have plus weapons like Baldwin and Graham I think even behind this line they would have got us a TD. Maybe I just expect too much from him.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1ri1kw1i said:
Anthony!":1ri1kw1i said:
SoulfishHawk":1ri1kw1i said:
Because he was about to be crushed by the defender and had to rush it. But yes he has to make that throw.
The fumble was yet again on a play where the blockers did squat. But he does have to squeeze that ball tight.
He was PART of it, but that O Line was absolutely putrid.

What little blame that can be cast on Rw is so low on the list we should not even be talking about it. I mean the RBs have more blame than Rw, as do the WR/TE. Hence why we are talking about it make no sense. NO one in their right mind starts with the least responsible area, you start with the most which is the OLine.

Did you watch the game?

How in any way did our WR's play worse than Russ? I smell a complete RW homer. The guy is a really good QB but when you are making $20 Mil a year and are supposed to be in the best shape of our life and in the prime years of your career, there is no excuse.I think both Pete and Russ are at fault.

Pete for allowing a subpar coaching effort on Offense and personnel decisions

Russ for not overcoming the obstacles by making audibles, faster reads and putting the ball into his WR hands (ie Lockett)

As bad as the OL played I think Russell not making them pay only compounded the issue. As my original argument was, at this point in his career he shoudl be able to make the calls necessary at the line to put this team ina better position to succeed. Even 1 TD out of Russ would have been nice.

Give Stafford, Netwon, Eli, or any other $100 Mil QB the defense we have plus weapons like Baldwin and Graham I think even behind this line they would have got us a TD. Maybe I just expect too much from him.

There's a difference between homerism and just flat out logic and fairness

Some of you seem hell bent on criticizing Russ for the sake of criticizing him. It doesn't sound reasonable. There are excuses and then there are rational, logical reasons.

The fact is, every metric, every number shows that Russ is facing a tougher obstacle than the Qbs you mentioned. Lowest paid O-line, at one point among the lowest paid receivers. Most pressured Qb since being in the league. It does not matter how many audibles and fast reads you make if your personnel doesn't match. There is such a thing as not being protected adequately. You seem to have this unrealistic mindset that a QB can simply do whatever he wants on offense if he puts his mind to it. Qbs need support, it's a team game

You would have more of a point if our running backs were able to take one step before being blown up in the backfield. So quick throws don't solve the problem. Literally no other Qb is held to this extreme standard. And saying that Stafford, Newton, or Eli would do better is horribly laughable especially given Eli's recent career

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qt37hzi said:
JTB":1qt37hzi said:
On the Lockett play, Wilson could not step into the throw and Lockett was grabbed by the DB. Honestly, the throws down the seam to McEvoy and Graham at the end of the first half were worse throws to me than the Lockett one.

I saw that, he did have a lineman pushed in his face. But again, that's a throw great QB's make. It just is.

No excuses. On the road against a very good opponent, gotta have that.

So what you're saying is, an elite Qb can never miss a throw with a Defensive Lineman preventing him from stepping into his throw?

Sorry, but it seems like a case of wanting to be right rather than getting it right. Some of the most unfair criticisms I've seen of ANY Qb in recent memory.

erik2690

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1tk95qjw said:
I guess the stats showed Russ got pressured on a higer percent of snaps that Rodgers did but I watched the game and play after play wondered why it seemed Wilson didn't just take 3 steps and fire like Rodgers did.

That fact that he is not as comfortable or successful doing that might have a lot to do with why GB was able to pressure more or send more pressure. That stats I want to see is..

Release time Russ vs Rodgers
How many rushers per play Sea vs GB Defense.

Yeah your narrative that Rodgers was firing it out and Russ was holding on forever doesn't show in the stats. Rodgers was 3.0 snap to throw. Wilson was 3.2. They were both fairly slow relative to average but not a big gap as you have been suggesting. I can understand the argument for Russ getting it out faster but acting like Rodgers was doing hat isn't shown statistically. The other mitigating factor is that Russ had far fewer attempts so his sample size is less ideal for judging. As in if he had a 5 second scamper around and throw it has more bearing on his average than it would on Rodgers. The reality is Wilson is pressured quite a bit more than most QB's and although hard to calculate an exact percentage of "blame" I don't think the stats show that it is mostly b/c of his snap to release. He was relatively fast snap to release last year and was still one of if not the most pressured QB's. I'd like a bigger sample size on this season before making many comments about snap to release time.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1o26f3ad said:

Eli?? Did you see any of SNF? Their OL was pretty bad, but not as atrocious as ours, and he put up a third of the points! He would be absolutely dead behind this line. Cam?? Did you see what happened to him in SB50 when his protection was bad? Forget that, how about his 2016 season? Much worse than Wilson's and his line was bad, but still better than ours. Stafford, maybe, but he would struggle mightily too. Even Brees, who is excellent, struggled mightily with bad protection due to OL injuries against the Vikings. The Saints' beat up OL is still way better than ours.

To see the difference protection makes, look at the Vikings last year vs. Week 1 this year. Last year their line was a dumpster fire damn near as bad as ours. Yesterday, it looked pretty decent and Bradford was much, much better. He could actually hit long developing routes and showed that he can be a really good QB in this league after years of being behind garbage lines in bad offenses.

TwilightError

Reaction score
we lost because of two stupid errors, which Green Bay capitalized perfectly. One was wilsons fumble in own red zone, one was the too many men on the field -thing that gave them a free play that resulted in a td.

Green bay did not do much besides those two times.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wasn't as impressed with GB as a lot of people were. 11 points were taken off the board, the Pack didn't score a single point in the first half, and one of their "drives" was 4 yards.
Meh

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2i5526gj said:
Cute...

14 completions to 28. 158 yards to 311. So not as many though.

He struggled. People can admit that without fearing the worst.

I guess that some posters look beyond the numbers to get to the reasons behind the struggles. The simple narrative is the the QB sucks. The more complex narrative spreads blame around. Run game being non-existent. Receivers not getting separation. Graham ho-humming his way through the game. Atrocious pass blocking. Russell not recognizing where the pressure was coming from and bailing the wrong way. Vanilla play calling that fooled no one. And shitty reffing.

Russell is and always will be the least of our worries. Most people with eyes can see that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":24cuu6em said:
Sgt. Largent":24cuu6em said:
JTB":24cuu6em said:
On the Lockett play, Wilson could not step into the throw and Lockett was grabbed by the DB. Honestly, the throws down the seam to McEvoy and Graham at the end of the first half were worse throws to me than the Lockett one.

I saw that, he did have a lineman pushed in his face. But again, that's a throw great QB's make. It just is.

So what you're saying is, an elite Qb can never miss a throw with a Defensive Lineman preventing him from stepping into his throw?

Sorry, but it seems like a case of wanting to be right rather than getting it right. Some of the most unfair criticisms I've seen of ANY Qb in recent memory.

Never? Of Course not, even the greats missed throws.

But in a game of very evenly matched teams, these are the plays that decide games.......and Russell missed his opportunities, and even contributed to the loss by fumbling on our 5.

So sorry, not unfair. If we're looking for reasons as to why we lost the game Sunday? O-line is #1, but missed opportunities is #2, and the BIGGEST missed opportunity was Russell overthrowing Tyler, even with a guy in his face. A throw he's made before.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20g1cbt8 said:
Scorpion05":20g1cbt8 said:
Sgt. Largent":20g1cbt8 said:
JTB":20g1cbt8 said:

Never? Of Course not, even the greats missed throws.

But in a game of very evenly matched teams, these are the plays that decide games.......and Russell missed his opportunities, and even contributed to the loss by fumbling on our 5.

So sorry, not unfair. If we're looking for reasons as to why we lost the game Sunday? O-line is #1, but missed opportunities is #2, and the BIGGEST missed opportunity was Russell overthrowing Tyler, even with a guy in his face. A throw he's made before.

That throw was not all on Russell and pressure. As stated, the DB hooked Lockett and slowed him down and the ball was in the air already. You cannot throw all those variables at a good QB and say it was a big moment, it HAS to happen.

erik2690

Reaction score
I said in an earlier comment that Wilson was at 3.2 and Rodgers 3.0 on snap to release time. Now I see PFF actually has that reversed and says Wilson was 3.0 and Rodgers was 3.20. I don't know what to believe but it makes even clearer the idea that Rodgers was just firing it out quickly everytime is not shown in the stats.

Latest posts