Why not blame Russell Wilson

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jgmsbcr said:
NFSeahawks628":1jgmsbcr said:
Get the ball out quicker and have receivers run shorter routes. Audible out of shitty play calls. It's not rocket science.

You don't think teams know that and scheme for that?

Watch or look at any pics of the good defensive teams we've played for the past 2-3 years. The box is stacked and they're press covering to prevent any sort of quick slant/bubble screen, etc.

When your O-line sucks as hard as ours sucks, it's easy to scheme against it. You stack the box and press cover cause you know Russell will have no more than 1.5 seconds to get the ball out.

Defenses can't scheme for audibles, adjust to the defense call the plays that you know are going to beat what the defense is showing.

I'm not buying the idea that quick throws wouldn't work and most of our receivers can beat 1 on 1 coverage anyway. We don't have Lockette and Kearse anymore.

An uptempo offense with a mix of passing and running would benefit the team and we would score more, I'm sure of it.

randomation

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1t4di5hx said:
Sgt. Largent":1t4di5hx said:
NFSeahawks628":1t4di5hx said:
Get the ball out quicker and have receivers run shorter routes. Audible out of shitty play calls. It's not rocket science.

Watch or look at any pics of the good defensive teams we've played for the past 2-3 years. The box is stacked and they're press covering to prevent any sort of quick slant/bubble screen, etc.

When your O-line sucks as hard as ours sucks, it's easy to scheme against it. You stack the box and press cover cause you know Russell will have no more than 1.5 seconds to get the ball out.

Defenses can't scheme for audibles, adjust to the defense call the plays that you know are going to beat what the defense is showing.

I'm not buying the idea that quick throws wouldn't work and most of our receivers can beat 1 on 1 coverage anyway. We don't have Lockette and Kearse anymore.

An uptempo offense with a mix of passing and running would benefit the team and we would score more, I'm sure of it.

Since it got deleted along with a bunch of other posts for some reason.

I agree that would help a lot however it isn't going to happen while Bevell is calling plays. We only get to see Russ's magic as the clock ticks down and he is calling the plays making chunk yardage. It's incredibly frustrating because we absolutely could run our two minutes offense all the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3ewtyp4y said:
Sgt. Largent":3ewtyp4y said:
NFSeahawks628":3ewtyp4y said:

Russell does audible now, a LOT. Again, doesn't fix having no time against press coverage.

GB played the ENTIRE game in nickel and dime coverage to prevent our quick passing attack and screen game. How do you combat that? You Run the damn ball down their 175lb DB's throats.

But no, our O-line is so bad we couldn't even do that.

You guys are grasping at straws that don't exist. Pete, Bevell and Russell know everything you're saying, you NEED an O-line and blocking schemes that are at least average to accomplish any success.

Hyak

Reaction score
On the Lockett play, Wilson could not step into the throw and Lockett was grabbed by the DB. Honestly, the throws down the seam to McEvoy and Graham at the end of the first half were worse throws to me than the Lockett one.

Agree that a fumble cannot happen on the sack. In fairness, he looked like he was protecting the ball. The OL play on that series was incredibly inept and deserves more of the blame. I can also argue that they should have just run it there given how the game was going protection wise and with the D balling out verus GB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":2o5f8mb0 said:
On the Lockett play, Wilson could not step into the throw and Lockett was grabbed by the DB. Honestly, the throws down the seam to McEvoy and Graham at the end of the first half were worse throws to me than the Lockett one.

I saw that, he did have a lineman pushed in his face. But again, that's a throw great QB's make. It just is.

No excuses. On the road against a very good opponent, gotta have that.

netskier

Reaction score
adeltaY":fwjwxt3n said:
Okay, I found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/6 ... lation_to/

Comparing pressure rate with time to throw. The model is that lower time to throw mitigates pressure by getting the ball out before the rush can affect the QB. Thus, the ratio between time to throw and pressure rate ranking should be close to 1.0. This guy compiled the stats from the 2016 regular season and another guy made a graph of them.

https://imgur.com/a/MjDMo

I've circled Russ in blue, Tom Brady in red, and Rodgers in green. We can see that Brady's quick release relative to his peers mitigates the pressure he faces, again relative to the other QBs in the league, about exactly as expected. Rodgers holds the ball longer and experiences much less pressure than one would expect, so he's below the trendline. Russ holds the ball barely longer than Brady and experiences pressure at a much higher rate, relatively. So this whole "blame Wilson, Brady and Aaron get the ball out quicker even if their OL are worse, why can't Russ do that?" argument doesn't properly account for RW's circumstances.

Sorry, but this entire analysis is bogus, because it is based on doing arithmetic on ranks, which is nonsensical. Arithmetic requires real numbers, and ranks are not real numbers. Ranks are just orders; this comes before that, but you don't know by how much. Ranks don't have a zero, and the arithmetic operation of division requires numbers that have a true zero. Division is not defined unless they do. Arithmetic also requires equal intervals, and ranks do not have them.

Addition and subtraction are defined for numbers on equal interval scales, but multiplication and division are not defined, such as temperature on the Fahrenheit scale. So it is nonsense to divide two Fahrenheit temperatures; 100 degrees is not twice as hot as fifty degrees, and we all get that from our experience.

Multiplication and division are defined for numbers on equal interval scales with a true zero point, such as temperature on the Kelvin scale. 100 degrees Kelvin is twice as hot as 50 degrees Kelvin.

Time is a properly scaled variable. Time ranges from zero to infinity, and each second is the same size as another, so arithmetic is defined for time.

Bottom line: don't even think about doing arithmetic with ranks. Use time instead.

sdog1981

Reaction score
In case you’re wondering, Seattle is now 1-10 in its last 11 regular season games (dating back to 2014) when trailing by 10+ at any point in the game. So add that little factoid to your debate.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Taking deeper pass drops has a clear and direct effect on pass blocking. Not to mention why it's needed in the first place.

Then again, we already know people here argue that geometry is fiction.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2bjkntsy said:
Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

He's gone away from what makes the offense as effective as it used to be. Those read zone plays, where he actually ran the ball.. bootlegs.

I still think he's too short for those quick slants and outs as he just can't find the targets fast enough through those huge linemen.

He needs to start do what he used to do until he can't do it no more, it's his game and that won't change.

He hasn't been the same since Marshawn left.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":200dqr5p said:
Bobblehead":200dqr5p said:
Wilson hasn't been the same QB since he started trying to be a drop back passer.

He's gone away from what makes the offense as effective as it used to be. Those read zone plays, where he actually ran the ball.. bootlegs.

I still think he's too short for those quick slants and outs as he just can't find the targets fast enough through those huge linemen.

He needs to start do what he used to do until he can't do it no more, it's his game and that won't change.

Marshawn made the defense pause and read before trying to get to RW. They had no choice not to respect the running game and it literally bought RW time.

It's cause and effect and exactly why I've been a broken record about it now for I don't know how long...

erik2690

Reaction score
People bringing up family members of players as some sort of negative ingredient always weirds me out. It almost seems like there must be a big feeling of ownership to use that as a fan to critique.

adeltaY

Reaction score
netskier":g66gp8f9 said:
Sorry, but this entire analysis is bogus, because it is based on doing arithmetic on ranks, which is nonsensical. Arithmetic requires real numbers, and ranks are not real numbers. Ranks are just orders; this comes before that, but you don't know by how much. Ranks don't have a zero, and the arithmetic operation of division requires numbers that have a true zero. Division is not defined unless they do. Arithmetic also requires equal intervals, and ranks do not have them.

Addition and subtraction are defined for numbers on equal interval scales, but multiplication and division are not defined, such as temperature on the Fahrenheit scale. So it is nonsense to divide two Fahrenheit temperatures; 100 degrees is not twice as hot as fifty degrees, and we all get that from our experience.

Multiplication and division are defined for numbers on equal interval scales with a true zero point, such as temperature on the Kelvin scale. 100 degrees Kelvin is twice as hot as 50 degrees Kelvin.

Time is a properly scaled variable. Time ranges from zero to infinity, and each second is the same size as another, so arithmetic is defined for time.

Bottom line: don't even think about doing arithmetic with ranks. Use time instead.

Fair enough, I see what you're saying with regards to the ranks. The point of the graph isn't to do any kind of statistical analysis, it's purely for visualization purposes. I suppose the guy could have done the ratio between pressure % and time to throw, not sure why he chose the ranks, but, again, it doesn't matter for the purpose of this presentation of the data. It is readily apparent that Russ had a much higher pressure % for the time to throw in comparison to many other quarterbacks.

Hyak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nlg6wjq said:
JTB":3nlg6wjq said:

I saw that, he did have a lineman pushed in his face. But again, that's a throw great QB's make. It just is.

No excuses. On the road against a very good opponent, gotta have that.

I agree with the premise but the grab by the DB affected where Lockett was too and factored into it IMO.

On the other 2 throws I mentioned, those are on Wilson.

Hyak

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":1i6x7yvm said:
Bobblehead":1i6x7yvm said:

Wilson was fine without Marshawn in 2015 when Rawls was playing great. They need to establish a good running game for the team to play at their best offensively AND defensively.

If Carson can continue to develop and Rawls comes back, it will help a lot. Play action doesn't work when you cannot run it.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
austinslater25":b6r79hwj said:
StoneCold":b6r79hwj said:
Wenhawk":b6r79hwj said:
Smellyman":b6r79hwj said:
Because he had .7 seconds.

On run plays the Dline was meeting RW and the RBs at handoff.

LOL

I call BS. Rodgers was pressured more than Russ difference is more than half the time the ball was out of his hands almost instantly.

Not true. Most of the sacks we got were after 10 seconds of Aaron running around and he didn't have to start evading the rush for 5 seconds. Russ was getting dumped on after 2.

More short, quick passes are needed.

Beat the drum.

Couldn't agree more. Short quick passes, move the pocket at times with roll outs, traditional screens would be nice but we seem to suck at them. We need to do something different.
Blocking would be a good start.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":1lzj54c2 said:
Biscanebay12":1lzj54c2 said:
Bobblehead":1lzj54c2 said:

Wilson was fine without Marshawn in 2015 when Rawls was playing great. They need to establish a good running game for the team to play at their best offensively AND defensively.

If Carson can continue to develop and Rawls comes back, it will help a lot. Play action doesn't work when you cannot run it.

Bingo.

So listen to me Pete and quit playing Lacy, he ain't gonna work behind this terrible line........unless you like your RB to run sideways and lose three yards every carry.

Rawls, Carson and Prosise. Rinse and repeat.