Why not Walt??

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":6r8gbfm6 said:
ChiefHawk":6r8gbfm6 said:
All of this talk of Walters superhuman physical ability ignores the near perfection he displayed technically in the position.

THAT is what he can teach.

Yes, he had as good or better physical traits than anyone ever to play the position, but physical traits do not give you the technical correctness he displayed, the focus on mission (in fact, many with high physical talents had LOWER drive because they didn't need it...)

"Starting in each of his 180 games in Seattle, the Seahawks attempted more than 5,500 passes with Jones on the field, while Jones gave up a total of only 23 quarterback sacks, and was penalized for holding just nine times."

That does not come from only physically beating his opposition, it comes from timing, drive, concentration, foot work, balance, hand work, AND physical domination.

Walter Jones beat opponents before he ever took the field with preparedness, determination, and confidence.

Walter Jones with his technical drive and skill with only average physical skills would still have been a dominating force on the O line for years.

Walter Jones with only his physical skills would have been ok for three or four years, and would not be in the Hall on the first ballot.

No one has suggested that he doesn't have a very good knowledge base. What has been debated is whether or not he can teach that knowledge to other players. Speaking for myself, I don't know whether he can or can't.

No, when you and several others > used EXAMPLES of SOME Players that failed at being Head Coaches in the NFL<, that is an implication that you had SOME skepticisms.

Largent80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":x4qo17nd said:
Largent80":x4qo17nd said:
If this were an idea of the Hawks AI would be excited but it isn't so........ MEH.
Been waiting all week for your well thought out opinion of what Walter Jones had SAID........MEH is your best?

Yeah...MEH. We have assembled a group of O-Linemen that were put in place to run ZBS which Jones knows squat about. The head coach wants to keep running that, and has his man in tow.

If we make that switch right now, we take giant steps back if that is even possible, but yes it IS. Just look how bad the line was in 2015 then this years unit was WORSE. And that is still running the current system and coach, so to me it's more about the system and getting the right players to do it.

I don't see Jones as a solution, but what I would do is bring him in to work with these dudes.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":27jj2xm2 said:
scutterhawk":27jj2xm2 said:
Largent80":27jj2xm2 said:
If this were an idea of the Hawks AI would be excited but it isn't so........ MEH.
Been waiting all week for your well thought out opinion of what Walter Jones had SAID........MEH is your best?

Yeah...MEH. We have assembled a group of O-Linemen that were put in place to run ZBS which Jones knows squat about. The head coach wants to keep running that, and has his man in tow.

If we make that switch right now, we take giant steps back if that is even possible, but yes it IS. Just look how bad the line was in 2015 then this years unit was WORSE. And that is still running the current system and coach, so to me it's more about the system and getting the right players to do it.

I don't see Jones as a solution, but what I would do is bring him in to work with these dudes.

There ya go, you answered your own cynicism Shitty in 2015, and even WORSE in 2016,,,MAYBE TEAMS HAVE FIGGURED OUT Cable's ZBS, and THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT WORKING LIKE IT USE TO.
You really believe that Walter Jones doesn't COMPREHEND how a ZBS works? LOLOLOLOLOL....You're really reaching L-80....It's NOT rocket science, MEH? :roll: :lol: :lol: .

chris98251

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1e06oniz said:
Largent80":1e06oniz said:
scutterhawk":1e06oniz said:
Largent80":1e06oniz said:

There ya go, you answered your own cynicism Shitty in 2015, and even WORSE in 2016,,,MAYBE TEAMS HAVE FIGGURED OUT Cable's ZBS, and THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT WORKING LIKE IT USE TO.
You really believe that Walter Jones doesn't COMPREHEND how a ZBS works? LOLOLOLOLOL....You're really reaching L-80....It's NOT rocket science, MEH? :roll: :lol: :lol: .

Appears to be based on the last two years of play and difficulty in Cable finding players that can do it, maybe we should draft from MIT.

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3qsanyy6 said:
RiverDog":3qsanyy6 said:
No one has suggested that he doesn't have a very good knowledge base. What has been debated is whether or not he can teach that knowledge to other players. Speaking for myself, I don't know whether he can or can't.

No, when you and several others > used EXAMPLES of SOME Players that failed at being Head Coaches in the NFL<, that is an implication that you had SOME skepticisms.

Of course, I have SOME skepticisms. Most objective people do. Only star struck homers are without at least some skepticism.

But that skepticism includes every coaching candidate, not just former players and not just Walt. The point that was being made by myself and others was that the mere fact that a coaching candidate has on their resume a HOF playing career does not outweigh other aspects of their application. Whether or not Walt has attributes besides his playing experience that would qualify him as a coach is something none of us are fully aware of.

Examples were given, just as they are in any good debate, to prove that the point being made has some merit. NFL head coaches are more recognizable and more easily researched, so their names tend to appear in examples more often than that of some position coach that coached a couple years before giving it up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1u13f8x2 said:
scutterhawk":1u13f8x2 said:
RiverDog":1u13f8x2 said:

Of course, I have SOME skepticisms. Most objective people do. Only star struck homers are without at least some skepticism.

But that skepticism includes every coaching candidate, not just former players and not just Walt. The point that was being made by myself and others was that the mere fact that a coaching candidate has on their resume a HOF playing career does not outweigh other aspects of their application. Whether or not Walt has attributes besides his playing experience that would qualify him as a coach is something none of us are fully aware of.

Examples were given, just as they are in any good debate, to prove that the point being made has some merit. NFL head coaches are more recognizable and more easily researched, so their names tend to appear in examples more often than that of some position coach that coached a couple years before giving it up.

Objective? LOLOL, you're basing your skepticisms and arguments about Walter Jones on what you DON'T/CAN'T really KNOW.......You be trying to create in a VACCUUM.

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":166wwcwo said:
Objective? LOLOL, you're basing your skepticisms and arguments about Walter Jones on what you DON'T/CAN'T really KNOW.......You be trying to create in a VACCUUM.

And by that I assume you are basing your optimism and arguments about Walter Jones on what you DO KNOW?

None of us know Walter Jones, at least not beyond what can be gleaned from a Google search...a point I've made on several occasions if you would have taken the time to read my entire comments.

Largent80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":30cwlbk9 said:
Largent80":30cwlbk9 said:
scutterhawk":30cwlbk9 said:
Largent80":30cwlbk9 said:

Whatever, you are the one blowing a gasket over something that will never happen anyway...So roll your eyes and LOL off into the sunset Einstein.

Here is an example of a great O-Lineman crashing and burning as a coach...Art Shell.

Just because Jones mauled people(a one of a kind and once in a lifetime LT) doesn't mean he can polish a turd. We already have someone that CAN polish a turd in turning players that never played the position into "players".

Walter Jones knows NOTHING about this system. He knows as much as you and I. He has never played in it, never coached it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":2zdvx041 said:
scutterhawk":2zdvx041 said:

And by that I assume you are basing your optimism and arguments about Walter Jones on what you DO KNOW?

None of us know Walter Jones, at least not beyond what can be gleaned from a Google search...a point I've made on several occasions if you would have taken the time to read my entire comments.
I read your "Entire Comments", and you I will OPENLY ADMIT that I DON'T KNOW if he'd be a perfect fit.
What I DO KNOW, is that YOU DON'T KNOW, and neither does LARGENT80
There's an old saying that pretty much fits here......"Look Before You Leap"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1rkc4y31 said:
Whatever, you are the one blowing a gasket over something that will never happen anyway...So roll your eyes and LOL off into the sunset Einstein.

Here is an example of a great O-Lineman crashing and burning as a coach...Art Shell.

Just because Jones mauled people(a one of a kind and once in a lifetime LT) doesn't mean he can polish a turd. We already have someone that CAN polish a turd in turning players that never played the position into "players".

Walter Jones knows NOTHING about this system. He knows as much as you and I. He has never played in it, never coached it.

You're getting pissed about your own silliness :177692:
So....it's YOUR contention that he's not cerebral enough to pick up on the ZBS concept??, what do you base this conjecture on "EINSTEIN"?????
Also, Comparing Walter Jones to Art Shell, LOL, like they have EXACTLY the same mind-frame.....Keep reaching.

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1zmmo93o said:
RiverDog":1zmmo93o said:
scutterhawk":1zmmo93o said:

I read your "Entire Comments", and you I will OPENLY ADMIT that I DON'T KNOW if he'd be a perfect fit.
What I DO KNOW, is that YOU DON'T KNOW, and neither does LARGENT80
There's an old saying that pretty much fits here......"Look Before You Leap"

You don't know if he'd be a fit, period, let alone a perfect fit.

And for the umpteenth time, I've already admitted that I don't have the slightest idea, either. If that's the best retort you can come up with to refute my comments, then your argument is extremely shallow.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":pt9dsq16 said:
Good players don't always make good coaches, and poor players sometimes make great coaches.

There are HOF players that were complete disasters as coaches, such as Mike Singletary and Bart Starr, and coaches that never played a snap in the NFL that turned out to be HOF-quality coaches, Belichick and our own Pete Carroll being two modern day examples. Walt's playing resume should rank well down the list of desirable attributes for coaching candidates. The only thing his HOF status gives him that other candidates don't have is that in the player's eyes, anything Walt says has a certain credibility to it.
YOU are the one that INTRODUCED SINGLETARY & BART STAR as being FAILURES, it was YOU who attached the SAME possible FAILURE TAG on Walter Jones, WITHOUT A WHIFF OF KNOWING.

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":171lx6ay said:
RiverDog":171lx6ay said:
Good players don't always make good coaches, and poor players sometimes make great coaches.

There are HOF players that were complete disasters as coaches, such as Mike Singletary and Bart Starr, and coaches that never played a snap in the NFL that turned out to be HOF-quality coaches, Belichick and our own Pete Carroll being two modern day examples. Walt's playing resume should rank well down the list of desirable attributes for coaching candidates. The only thing his HOF status gives him that other candidates don't have is that in the player's eyes, anything Walt says has a certain credibility to it.
YOU are the one that INTRODUCED SINGLETARY & BART STAR as being FAILURES, it was YOU who attached the SAME possible FAILURE TAG on Walter Jones, WITHOUT A WHIFF OF KNOWING.

Possible failure tag? Funny, I read my remarks over and over, and I can't find where it was that I used that term or something with similar meaning and associated it directly with Walt. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend that I hung the Possible Failure Tag on him as you claim I did.

In your opinion, does anyone else besides Walt NOT deserve a possible failure tag?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":10asy9a6 said:
scutterhawk":10asy9a6 said:
RiverDog":10asy9a6 said:

Possible failure tag? Funny, I read my remarks over and over, and I can't find where it was that I used that term or something with similar meaning and associated it directly with Walt. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend that I hung the Possible Failure Tag on him as you claim I did.

In your opinion, does anyone else besides Walt NOT deserve a possible failure tag?
Like I said, "It Isn't Rocket Science"......YOU used Singletary & Star as EXAMPLES OF FAILURES, it's YOU who tied it all together.
I have no "Opinion", and I won't hazard a GUESS on ANYONE that HAS NOT been vetted or given a chance of success, or failure, that is the crux of my argument, it's an UNKNOWN ............VACCUUM.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Michael Jordan might be the greatest athlete ever. How has he done as an owner?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":2bya0uv6 said:
I'd personally prefer he be Fant's mentor. Like every day. All offseason. Pushing trucks, watching film, working on technique. Dont know that he's a cerebral enough guy to be a great coach, after listening to his recent interviews. But, Tice.

The #1 thing Jones said that Fant needs to do in the off season was add power/strength. I think you hit the nail on the head in that regard, because Jones certainly knows the ins and outs of building strength. Maybe the Hawks bring him on as an OL QC coach.
As far as higher-level coaching goes, we'd have to bring him in as an apprentice and see how he does. Jones is a different animal than say Michael Jordan or Kobe in that Jones is a far more humble person. Perhaps that quality will lend itself to coaching and surprise many people.

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":39aeosan said:
RiverDog":39aeosan said:
scutterhawk":39aeosan said:
RiverDog":39aeosan said:

Like I said, "It Isn't Rocket Science"......YOU used Singletary & Star as EXAMPLES OF FAILURES, it's YOU who tied it all together.
I have no "Opinion", and I won't hazard a GUESS on ANYONE that HAS NOT been vetted or given a chance of success, or failure, that is the crux of my argument, it's an UNKNOWN ............VACCUUM.

You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it again by highlighting it and making it bigger for you.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":13csgmi2 said:
You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it again by highlighting it and making it bigger for you.
Read it again :roll: I HAVE NO OPINION OF WHAT I KNOW NOTHING OF.
You're trying to wiggle out of your embarrassing stance by posing a silly question.
I'm trying to get you to REALIZE, you don't know what you don't know........And see?, I didn't have to stoop to SILLY "Highliting"

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Seymour":vxauh8pg said:
I've heard Walter Jones more than once say he'd love a shot to coach with his Hawks. When Cable got here he had more experienced linemen, a top 3 RB in Lynch, a top 3 running QB in Wilson, and even the highest paid line in 2013 when we rode the ponies into the ground. It worked well and his ZBS was churning up the yards while Wilson developed.
Well that was then this is now. Running has dropped to bottom 1/3rd we have Graham, Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, and re emerged Richarson, and need to go to our strength. Cable is notoriously bad in pass blocking and always has been. The only bad reason I think Pete gives him one more year, is he took all his player cash and spent it, and cannot can Cable since Pete's hand is in it. Anyway, maybe they get destroyed one more year and we see Walt. That would be cool, even if he learned on the fly (but I obviously don't want to lose to see this either). Catch 22

Bump.

:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

1 year later and part 1 of my request comes true.

Now Walt....you still interested buddy?? Come on man!!! :2thumbs:

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Straight to O-line coach? I'd be fine with bringing him in as an assistant, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to the kingdom with no experience. This is O-line coach, no President.

Latest posts