Why not Walt??

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":tywq12ii said:
Straight to O-line coach? I'd be fine with bringing him in as an assistant, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to the kingdom with no experience. This is O-line coach, no President.

No experience??

7cst_k2v1989.jpg

seabowl

Reaction score
Players play and good coaches lead. Wait was an all time great plksyer but I just don't see him as a leader

chris98251

Reaction score
Have Howard Mudd come in as a consultant for interviews, he can grade the knowledge and Pete can grade the leadership and teaching aspect.

chris98251

Reaction score
seabowl":3njutui6 said:
Players play and good coaches lead. Wait was an all time great plksyer but I just don't see him as a leader

Person doesn't have to say much when he pancakes DE's and tosses Escalades around all off season.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3tsumlv7 said:
Have Howard Mudd come in as a consultant for interviews, he can grade the knowledge and Pete can grade the leadership and teaching aspect.

Getting Mudd involved would be a good move as well. Then again, depending on the bait and level of OC they get, it all may be up to him. I'm fine with that as well, as that is the OC's best case scenario to prove his value.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":1lupnt2s said:
chris98251":1lupnt2s said:

Getting Mudd involved would be a good move as well. Then again, depending on the bait and level of OC they get, it all may be up to him. I'm fine with that as well, as that is the OC's best case scenario to prove his value.

He lives in the area as well so not a reach to ask him to help out.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2ezvrsea said:
WindCityHawk":2ezvrsea said:
Straight to O-line coach? I'd be fine with bringing him in as an assistant, but I wouldn't hand him the keys to the kingdom with no experience. This is O-line coach, no President.

No experience??

7cst_k2v1989.jpg

Playing and coaching are not the same thing. Look how many coaches were mediocre players. Now guess how many players would be mediocre coaches.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":28bn8yuo said:
Playing and coaching are not the same thing. Look how many coaches were mediocre players. Now guess how many players would be mediocre coaches.

That there is the difference between you and me. I've been fuming over Cable 3+ years and would kill to see a mediocre oline coach here. Hell if he could just be on the scout staff that alone would be a HUGE boost to what we've been fed.

Or do good players not have an eye for talent either? :roll:

Cable took 4-6 games every season just to figure out the best 5 to put out there!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2iuq69f0 said:
Seymour":2iuq69f0 said:
WindCityHawk":2iuq69f0 said:

No experience??

7cst_k2v1989.jpg

"Guess" is the key word here....You GUESS he can't be good at Coaching, OR, you GUESS he COULD maybe be good at Coaching....I'll admit I don't KNOW, but using your "GUESS" gig here, I'M betting that YOU don't KNOW whether he would, or wouldn't be a good Coach......Just admit it LOL, you are "GUESSING". :lol: :lol: :lol:

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":okufrpg0 said:
WindCityHawk":okufrpg0 said:
Seymour":okufrpg0 said:
WindCityHawk":okufrpg0 said:

No experience??

7cst_k2v1989.jpg

"Guess" is the key word here....You GUESS he can't be good at Coaching, OR, you GUESS he COULD maybe be good at Coaching....I'll admit I don't KNOW, but using your "GUESS" gig here, I'M betting that YOU don't KNOW whether he would, or wouldn't be a good Coach......Just admit it LOL, you are "GUESSING". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I'm absolutely guessing. That's why I'd prefer to see him in an assisting role first so we could get closer to knowing before we give him full reign of the O-line. Would it be cool? Of course it would be cool. We all thought it was cool when Lofa came back as an assistant LB coach, but that doesn't mean it turned into anything.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I'm all for Walt being the next OL coach but probably a pipe dream.

But Carroll has brought in former players to be around the team/coach, i.e, Lofa.

At the same time, I would be very surprised if Walt was brought into the organization to coach.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":t4madv39 said:
Seymour":t4madv39 said:
WindCityHawk":t4madv39 said:

No experience??

7cst_k2v1989.jpg

So Walt is Too good a player to coach O line?
Experience and desire to teach are two great predictors of success--He has both. He's an expert with HOF creditentials not just some dumb jock who outmuscled everyone.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":22hg164k said:
So Walt is Too good a player to coach O line?
Experience and desire to teach are two great predictors of success--He has both. He's an expert with HOF creditentials not just some dumb jock who outmuscled everyone.

I can't find it anywhere, but is he coaching now, or just saying he wants to coach? When Favre retired he got to work coaching back in Mississipi. Has Jones done anything like that? Or is he just expressing interest via Twitter. That's hardly a job application.

Again, I'm not against the move in a supportive capacity, but I wouldn't hand him the whole O-line in his first year coaching.

To be honest, I'm surprised this perspective is so divisive. Don't we want coaching experience in our coaches?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just wondering when Jones has ever mentioned he would like to coach?

People have brought it up on the John C show, and John says he's never heard Jones express his desire to coach.
Not the John C is the end all of info but he has some knowledge, probably more than most of us so, there is some credibility in that. He also brings up a good point that, one of the reasons the Hawks haven't hired him, and why teams don't hardly ever do this sort of thing, is that it undermines the existing coaches which I can fully understand.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Bobblehead":21rxrzz0 said:

People have brought it up on the John C show, and John says he's never heard Jones express his desire to coach.

Not the John C is the end all of info but he has some knowledge, probably more than most of us so, there is some credibility in that. He also brings up a good point that, one of the reasons the Hawks haven't hired him, and why teams don't hardly ever do this sort of thing, is that it undermines the existing coaches which I can fully understand.

Maybe Clayton should listen to 950 where Walter is on regularly. :roll:

I've heard him several times, but not in the last 6 months or so.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/walter-jones-tweets-interest-in-seahawks-ol-job/

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Bobblehead":321ydhc4 said:

Walter is on 950 KJR once a week or so with Softy.

Turn your radio on.

Walt has expressed desire on radio to coach if he is offered a position.

Tune in. I believe he's on with Softy on Thursday's around 5 pm or so.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well I can't think of a better person I would want.

The thing is though, it's quite easy to say, without the commitment that you want to coach, but it's a whole different game of the actual act of coaching where you can convey what you know.. Also, it's probably a good idea if we had some talent.. do we actually have talent.. or was it a Cable pipe dream?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":w4bg8gra said:
Well I can't think of a better person I would want.

The thing is though, it's quite easy to say, without the commitment that you want to coach, but it's a whole different game of the actual act of coaching where you can convey what you know.. Also, it's probably a good idea if we had some talent.. do we actually have talent.. or was it a Cable pipe dream?

Basically, all I'm hearing from a couple of folks in here, is negative speculation...You don't know what you don't know.
I kind of have my doubts that Big Walt was offering to be the O-Line Coach, but rather the ASSISTANT O-Line Coach....The man understands the importance of technique, and would very likely be able to Coach up footwork, hand fighting, strength training, and Balance.