WR Phillip Dorsett joins Seahawks - 1 year deal

chris98251

Reaction score
This helps in three ways.

Special teams.

If Gordon comes back we have Lockett, Metcalf, Gordon, Dorsett, then Turner, Moore, and a bunch of guys hoping, heck Turner and Moore may not be here if Gordon comes back day one.

They can't double anyone, throw in the TE's we have now as well.

Depth for injuries, possibly 4 deep with slight drop off but still have to respect.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Moore at $2.1 mil is probably on the hot seat or Gordon gets his money if reinstated.

kf3339

Reaction score
Wenhawk":qy4fc9zt said:
Moore at $2.1 mil is probably on the hot seat or Gordon gets his money if reinstated.

Just curious, but can we sign Gordon to a conditional contract while he is still suspended? I doubt he would count at all against the cap right now, and guarantees he is with us. I am sure he wants to play here so seems like a good idea.

bighawk

Reaction score
This is an absolute steal this guy is a 4.2 speed merchant. I was hoping we got him in the draft years ago. Now top it off with Gordon wanting to stay our receiving corp will be the best in the league hands down.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Not sure it's that big a signing as his pro production has been modest at best. But I think he might be at least an upgrade on Jaron Brown. But he does fit a slot receiver mold and gives us a pretty well rounded crew of guys.

Now we can spend the draft on DL/OL like I preach every year. We just need some of those picks to ascend beyond JAG status one of these days.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Good, solid signing by the FO. Fills a role, does not break the bank, gives the team more flexibility to let the draft come to them instead of going in with glaring weaknesses (other than rush end at this point). Get Clowney in the fold and they'll be well positioned for the draft to go BPA, IMHO. Another good move, I think.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's impressive how many times this front office has been able to sign guys to one year prove it deals. Immediately makes me thing of Avril and Bennett. Give a guy a shot to prove himself, if he plays well enough and fits in, sign him before the end of year to an extension.

toffee

Reaction score
bighawk":2388pqnq said:
This is an absolute steal this guy is a 4.2 speed merchant. I was hoping we got him in the draft years ago. Now top it off with Gordon wanting to stay our receiving corp will be the best in the league hands down.
We may have the fastest starting three WRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
A year ago there was a lot of sadness over the impending retirement of Doug Baldwin. Great consternation over who could become the #1 receiver. LOL

Just look at the state of the receiver corp now ...... inspiring a very different outlook.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Jville":1yjmbwmv said:
A year ago there was a lot of sadness over the impending retirement of Doug Baldwin. Great consternation over who could become the #1 receiver. LOL

Just look at the state of the receiver corp now ...... inspiring a very different outlook.
Still not that great outside of Metcalf and Lockett. Dorsett hasn’t done anything of note in the NFL, and in fact struggled to separate himself on a roster that was struggling to find a viable wide receiver after Gordon and Brown left. Lockett always seems to miss games, and our TEs are huge injury concerns as well. I don’t understand why people are acting like he’s the next big big star. He’s just another Moore, a mediocre wide receiver that is decent on special teams.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Lockett, Dorsett, Metcalf. Let's get this season started as

samwize77

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1yycq3f3 said:
Jville":1yycq3f3 said:

Still not that great outside of Metcalf and Lockett. Dorsett hasn’t done anything of note in the NFL, and in fact struggled to separate himself on a roster that was struggling to find a viable wide receiver after Gordon and Brown left. Lockett always seems to miss games, and our TEs are huge injury concerns as well. I don’t understand why people are acting like he’s the next big big star. He’s just another Moore, a mediocre wide receiver that is decent on special teams.

You know...I tend to agree with this. Enjoyed watching his highlights for sure, but yet there wasn't ALOT there that stood out. And that's with Brady throwing the ball.

Having said that..I do see more in him than I do Moore, Turner..or Brown..so that's that. Am I happy we picked him up?...absolutely!!...am I EXCITED?.....not so much. I believe this pick up improved us..and that's all that really counts right now.

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":2ehezk8b said:
Does anyone what's Dorsett's most natural position? X Y or Z?

An interesting write up about Dorsett's possible fit was published today .............

Now, in contrast, here are Baldwin and Lockett compared to Dorsett, with John Ursua included since many fans believe him to be destined to be the second coming of Baldwin from the slot.

Phillip Dorsett compared to slot receivers

Category ..Phillip Dorsett ...........Doug Baldwin ........ Tyler Lockett ... John Ursua
Height ..............5096 ..................... 5096 ........................ 5097 ............ 5091
Weight ...............185.........................189............................182................178
40 ......................4.33.........................4.48......................... 4.4 ................4.56
20 ......................2.47.........................2.53..........................2.59................2.65
10 ......................1.54.........................1.54 .........................1.55 ...............1.58
Bench ....................13 ............................6 .............................N/A .................17
Vertical ...................37........................... 37 ...........................35.5 .................37
Broad ....................122 .........................123 ............................121 ...............120
3-cone ..................4.11 ........................4.26 .......................... 4.07 ...............4.16
Shuttle ................. 6.70 ....................... 6.56 .......................... 6.89 ...............6.77
*** note that this display from the original author has 3-cone and shuttle times confused with one another .... as is the case with the other display found in the article
Honing in on specifically on the shuttle times for these wide receivers, there appears to be a strong demarcation between the wideouts who line up in the slot for Seattle and those who line up on the outside. Ignoring everything else, the slot receivers have 3-cone times of

6.56, 6.89 and 6.77

while the outside receivers have 3-cone times of

7.38, 7.09, 7.03, 7.12, 6.98, 7.09 and 6.98.

Just to add to this, knowing that the Hawks often look for specific physical and athletic profiles for certain positions, just the similarity in height and weight between Dorsett, Lockett and Baldwin are a little ridiculous.

Heights: 5’ 9-3/4”, 5’ 9-3/4”, 5’ 9-7/8”
Weights: 185, 189, 182
............................................................ interesting past and present wide receiver comparisons linked here >>> Why Phillip Dorsett could bump John Ursua off Seahawks roster >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/3/25/21193638/why-phillip-dorsett-could-bump-john-ursua-off-seattle-seahawks-roster-slot-outside-baldwin-tate-rice[/urltargetblank] <<< I enjoyed it and so might you :biggthumpup:

King Dog

Reaction score
I saw a Patriots fan call him the slowest fast guy he's ever seen :? Says he's decent though.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Can he return punts? love Locket but, dang Locket just doesn't seem like he has the punt returners mentality.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":j5w7v5ae said:
toffee":j5w7v5ae said:
Does anyone what's Dorsett's most natural position? X Y or Z?

An interesting write up about Dorsett's possible fit was published today .............

Now, in contrast, here are Baldwin and Lockett compared to Dorsett, with John Ursua included since many fans believe him to be destined to be the second coming of Baldwin from the slot.

Phillip Dorsett compared to slot receivers

Category ..Phillip Dorsett ...........Doug Baldwin ........ Tyler Lockett ... John Ursua
Height ..............5096 ..................... 5096 ........................ 5097 ............ 5091
Weight ...............185.........................189............................182................178
40 ......................4.33.........................4.48......................... 4.4 ................4.56
20 ......................2.47.........................2.53..........................2.59................2.65
10 ......................1.54.........................1.54 .........................1.55 ...............1.58
Bench ....................13 ............................6 .............................N/A .................17
Vertical ...................37........................... 37 ...........................35.5 .................37
Broad ....................122 .........................123 ............................121 ...............120
3-cone ..................4.11 ........................4.26 .......................... 4.07 ...............4.16
Shuttle ................. 6.70 ....................... 6.56 .......................... 6.89 ...............6.77
*** note that this display from the original author has 3-cone and shuttle times confused with one another .... as is the case with the other display found in the article
Honing in on specifically on the shuttle times for these wide receivers, there appears to be a strong demarcation between the wideouts who line up in the slot for Seattle and those who line up on the outside. Ignoring everything else, the slot receivers have 3-cone times of

6.56, 6.89 and 6.77

while the outside receivers have 3-cone times of

7.38, 7.09, 7.03, 7.12, 6.98, 7.09 and 6.98.

Just to add to this, knowing that the Hawks often look for specific physical and athletic profiles for certain positions, just the similarity in height and weight between Dorsett, Lockett and Baldwin are a little ridiculous.

Heights: 5’ 9-3/4”, 5’ 9-3/4”, 5’ 9-7/8”
Weights: 185, 189, 182
............................................................ interesting past and present wide receiver comparisons linked here >>> Why Phillip Dorsett could bump John Ursua off Seahawks roster >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/3/25/21193638/why-phillip-dorsett-could-bump-john-ursua-off-seattle-seahawks-roster-slot-outside-baldwin-tate-rice[/urltargetblank] <<< I enjoyed it and so might you :biggthumpup:
Love it, intriguing read. Did he play slot with Patriots? With his speed, perhaps lining up as flanker may be more advantageous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, but we couldn't see exactly what Dorsett could offer to the Pats. Brady ain't the Deep Baller Wilson is ! I have a feeling Dorsett and Wilson will make a great combo and they will start clicking really soon.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Gio":cfxtjbbq said:
Don't get me wrong, but we couldn't see exactly what Dorsett could offer to the Pats. Brady ain't the Deep Baller Wilson is ! I have a feeling Dorsett and Wilson will make a great combo and they will start clicking really soon.
Tom Brady has one of the best deep balls in the league, and not only that he also played with Andrew Luck who is no slouch when it comes to slinging it downfield. Not only that he played with Luck during some of his best seasons. Neither of them are as good as Russ downfield, but they were pretty close. Luck in particular wasn't afraid to sling it downfield.

Mark my words they won't be a "great combo". More than likely he's just going to be another Brown, or perhaps another Moore. He was likely signed because our WR corps are lacking in depth. Brown and Moore were not cutting it, behind that we had an unproven rookie wideout (i think he should have gotten more time).

I'm not against the signing per say, but I struggle to see why everyone is so excited about the guy. He's had nothing but great QBs, and top tier offensive coordinators, yet struggled to get seperation, struggled to put up production despite given ample opportunity, and worse yet only was the starter for but a few games on the Patriots and was a complete non-factor when he was starting. It is pretty damning that he was just depth for most of the season on the Pats when they were seriously thin at WR.

Dorsett is not a name that we're going to be hearing much during the regular season. The bottom line is he's good at special teams, and he's a good run blocker. Other than those two things he doesn't offer anything to our WR unit that we didn't already have.

Latest posts