WR Phillip Dorsett joins Seahawks - 1 year deal

Jville

Reaction score
Give the first several minutes of the podcast a listen :biggthumpup:

What will Phillip Dorsett add to Seattle's offense? ESPN's Mike Reiss tells The Professor >>> [urltargetblank]https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=587afbee-02af-4d0b-a404-ab8a01408942&sid=1141&n=John+Clayton[/urltargetblank]

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Summary
25-35 catches
Not shifty fast but straight line fast
Can play all WR positions
Will be a better fit in our offense
Should be a solid #3,4, or 5 WR
Mentor to Josh Gordon, great locker room guy
May be able to return kicks, did not do this in the past but untapped potential
Good hands
Makes big catches in big games in clutch situations

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. Cleary has a lot of experience playing for a winning organization. Seems to have the right attitude and this team needed another WR. I suspect they also grab one in the draft, it's supposed to be very good for WR.

olyfan63

Reaction score
+ Solid #3/#4 WR with deep speed and good hands that will cause defenses to have to play honest on every play he's in the game.
+ When Lockett is out, there will be less of a dropoff than with other options.
+ Seems to stay healthy, knows how to duck under big hits while still catching ball.
+ Good route runner, smart, knows here to be
+ Catches nearly everything thrown to him.
+ Smart, professional, good locker room guy.

- Looks like limited blocking ability in run game.
- Fails to get 1st down if he has to get a couple YAC running. No Golden Tate clone here.
- Way too easy to tackle as a ballcarrier.
- Does not tend to get YAC. 1st guy to touch him always seems to tackle him successfully.
- Very often makes catches going to ground negating runs for YAC.
- Dorsett is NOT the KR we are looking for, IMO. See comments above, too easy to tackle.

Overall, I really like this signing. He's the kind of guy that can make the difference of a couple wins a year, not because of his overpowering play, but because he is legit at what he does, and if we are missing Lockett for a couple games, Dorsett can take his snaps and make some of the plays Lockett does and the defense has to respect him. He seems like a guy who can get separation enough for Russell to actually make the throw. A guy who does his job within the team concept, holds up his end, and allows the offense overall to function at a high level.

Contrast that with receivers we've had who struggle to get separation... Kearse, David Moore, Jaron Brown, etc. I think this will help Russell out a lot, mentally, having a guy who will often be open enough for him to make the throw.

Of course, if I'm wrong and Dorsett turns out to NOT be a guy who gets separation enough for Russell... We're screwed. If so, cut him!! Or trade him... Dedicated Dorsett watchers, does he get separation consistently? From the eye test. I don't give a crap about the stat, "Average Yards of Separation on Targeted Throws", or whatever it is. I know all the Pats receivers sucked at this last year, but I think that stat may say more about the overall talent level not necessarily Dorsett.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
In browsing Patriot forms my suspicions were correct. Phillip Dorsett is a big ol' nothing burger.

The consensus with Pat fans is that he's much slower than his 40 time suggest, and he has a hard time getting open. He struggles to catch contested passes, and his route running is very poor.

Plus side? His hands aren't bad, can play on special teams. Sounds like another Jaron Brown. I would hope that we find a true number 3 wide receiver because this guy doesn't sound it. Once again, I don't understand the blind optimism over this signing. I've looked at him and was very unimpressed. Patriot fans weren't impressed either. He's just another #4 wide receiver. Rather not spend money on a guy like this.

Jville

Reaction score
Different team cultures and team schemes often produce different outcomes.

Phillip picked the Seahawks culture as the best place to show and prove that he can be the receiver he knows he can become. He's arrived at exactly the right place at exactly the right time in his career.

The Seahawks didn't sign him to be the player he was in New England. They signed him to become the player they think he can be in Seattle. That's intriguing. Should be interesting to follow.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jville":2om1ilqq said:

Phillip picked the Seahawks culture as the best place to show and prove that he can be the receiver he knows he can become. He's arrived at exactly the right place at exactly the right time in his career.

The Seahawks didn't sign him to be the player he was in New England. They signed him to become the player they think he can be in Seattle. That's intriguing. Should be interesting to follow.

So true. Dorsett clearly has strengths and weaknesses to his game. I pointed out the too-easy-to-tackle part I saw in his 2019 highlights. Clearly he has NFL-quality deep speed and can catch the deep ball. When he's in the game, the safeties have to pay attention to where he is.

We shall see about the route-running and separation part. Whatever else Pete Carroll has going on in Seattle, historically he's had very good WR coaching and development. Doug Baldwin flashed in his rookie season, Golden Tate took, like 3 years, to "get it", but then *wow*, Jerome Kearse worked his way up off the practice squad, and last year, DK Metcalf had himself a very nice rookie year. Crossing my fingers that Dorsett does a couple things very well that Pete & Schotty can make use of.

Sometimes it's the #3 and #4 WRs that have to win their matchups for the team to win the game, against a team that effectively shuts down the #1 and #2 options.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Jville":2prr2914 said:

So, he's looked pretty bad at Indianapolis player under Andrew Luck, he's looked bad player under Brady and Josh McDaniels. He's had five years of little production, he has literally the same exact skillset as Moore and Turner. What about the Seahawks tells you that anything will be different?

The reason I'm really questioning this signing is Moore has already been more productive than Dorsett and fulfills the same exact niche, only he's done it arguably better than Dorsett. Turner also has the same exact skillset, and if we extend this out even further Metcalf also does the same thing (though his toolbox is bigger). Our wide receivers are very one dimensional as of now. Lockett and Ursua are the only ones that give us something different -- but Ursua may not even be on this roster come game day. I'm struggling to see what he does better or different than our current wide receivers. The more I've looked into him the more I'm souring on this signing. Just seems like a waste of money and resources. I think this might be a case of a player Carroll liked in college, but never had the opportunity to draft.

Jville

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1qs8iyjr said:
Jville":1qs8iyjr said:

So, he's looked pretty bad at Indianapolis player under Andrew Luck, he's looked bad player under Brady and Josh McDaniels. He's had five years of little production, he has literally the same exact skillset as Moore and Turner. What about the Seahawks tells you that anything will be different?

The reason I'm really questioning this signing is Moore has already been more productive than Dorsett and fulfills the same exact niche, only he's done it arguably better than Dorsett. Turner also has the same exact skillset, and if we extend this out even further Metcalf also does the same thing (though his toolbox is bigger). Our wide receivers are very one dimensional as of now. Lockett and Ursua are the only ones that give us something different -- but Ursua may not even be on this roster come game day. I'm struggling to see what he does better or different than our current wide receivers. The more I've looked into him the more I'm souring on this signing. Just seems like a waste of money and resources. I think this might be a case of a player Carroll liked in college, but never had the opportunity to draft.
There is a lot that we on the outside don't know. It's my understanding that Phillip is one of three players who have yet to sign reported agreements. At this moment, there are no published 2020 contract numbers for Dorsett. We just don't know.

To my eye Moore and Turner and Dorsett are all a little bit different. I don't see cookie cutter similarities. Each is a unique individual. Developing players grow their toolbox as they see more snaps. Watching Turner's growth, for example, was a genuine pleasure in 2019.

I look for growth and player development. Receivers are expected to work on all routes. Plus .... all Seahawk receivers need to develop an innate repertoire with Wilson's game of improvisation. It's the featured identiy of the Seahawks offense. Chemistry with the quarterback may be the biggest factor as to who stays and who goes when the cut down date comes due.

toffee

Reaction score
Both Metcalf and Dorsett got 4.33 speed, but can our new OL give Wilson enough time for those two to get deep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASF

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1d65kbff said:
Tom Brady has one of the best deep balls in the league.

That has not been true for about a season and a half. Just watch his highlights from last season. He no longer has it with the deep ball.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
BASF":23ujm9ld said:
Spin Doctor":23ujm9ld said:
Tom Brady has one of the best deep balls in the league.

That has not been true for about a season and a half. Just watch his highlights from last season. He no longer has it with the deep ball.
Phillip Dorsett has been on the team longer than a season. He's been on the Patriots for three years.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
olyfan63":9tz24wha said:
Jville":9tz24wha said:

So true. Dorsett clearly has strengths and weaknesses to his game. I pointed out the too-easy-to-tackle part I saw in his 2019 highlights. Clearly he has NFL-quality deep speed and can catch the deep ball. When he's in the game, the safeties have to pay attention to where he is.

We shall see about the route-running and separation part. Whatever else Pete Carroll has going on in Seattle, historically he's had very good WR coaching and development. Doug Baldwin flashed in his rookie season, Golden Tate took, like 3 years, to "get it", but then *wow*, Jerome Kearse worked his way up off the practice squad, and last year, DK Metcalf had himself a very nice rookie year. Crossing my fingers that Dorsett does a couple things very well that Pete & Schotty can make use of.

Sometimes it's the #3 and #4 WRs that have to win their matchups for the team to win the game, against a team that effectively shuts down the #1 and #2 options.
It's intriguing that they signed a mediocre wide receiver? Just because of 'culture'? I'm sorry, but there is going to need to be more to go on than that. How many former highly touted prospects have we signed hoping that we'd catch lightning in a bottle? A lot. Sorry, "the process" and "culture" doesn't cut it for me. I need some sort of evidence, and in this players case there is a distinct lack of evidence that he's going to be a good player. I don't have blind faith, and that is essentially what you're telling me to do. Especially when the culture and process has had some pretty huge misses, it isn't immune to getting things wrong, and it has done so many times in the past.

What you're asking for is blind faith. People are hyped and they can't tell me why, I look at the guy play and I see a mediocre wide receiver that doesn't bring anything that we didn't already have. I'm just seeing a lot of unearned and undue hype here.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":lhcb1wi2 said:
olyfan63":lhcb1wi2 said:
Jville":lhcb1wi2 said:

It's intriguing that they signed a mediocre wide receiver? Just because of 'culture'? I'm sorry, but there is going to need to be more to go on than that. How many former highly touted prospects have we signed hoping that we'd catch lightning in a bottle? A lot. Sorry, "the process" and "culture" doesn't cut it for me. I need some sort of evidence, and in this players case there is a distinct lack of evidence that he's going to be a good player. I don't have blind faith, and that is essentially what you're telling me to do. Especially when the culture and process has had some pretty huge misses, it isn't immune to getting things wrong, and it has done so many times in the past.

What you're asking for is blind faith. People are hyped and they can't tell me why, I look at the guy play and I see a mediocre wide receiver that doesn't bring anything that we didn't already have. I'm just seeing a lot of unearned and undue hype here.
Which WR, still available at the time of this signing, would you have preferred they sign? I don't see that there was much available. Of the 2020 free agent WRs Dorsett is at least top 10. The top 5 free agent WRs were all either franchised or already signed (to deals that are all higher than what I would want us to pay for a number 3-5 WR). I believe Higgins is still available, and I like his upside, but other than that I can't see any WRs still available that I would rather have signed. And, since I'm not involved in negotiations and am removed from the situation, I don't know what Higgins is looking for in a contract, if he is interested in coming to the northwest, or if there are other reasons to look elsewhere.
This is a depth signing. It seems to me that character, locker room fit, work ethic, and potential are all important factors to consider with depth signings.

toffee

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":3rft1wdz said:
Spin Doctor":3rft1wdz said:
olyfan63":3rft1wdz said:
Jville":3rft1wdz said:

Which WR, still available at the time of this signing, would you have preferred they sign? I don't see that there was much available. Of the 2020 free agent WRs Dorsett is at least top 10. The top 5 free agent WRs were all either franchised or already signed (to deals that are all higher than what I would want us to pay for a number 3-5 WR). I believe Higgins is still available, and I like his upside, but other than that I can't see any WRs still available that I would rather have signed. And, since I'm not involved in negotiations and am removed from the situation, I don't know what Higgins is looking for in a contract, if he is interested in coming to the northwest, or if there are other reasons to look elsewhere.
This is a depth signing. It seems to me that character, locker room fit, work ethic, and potential are all important factors to consider with depth signings.

If Metcalf continuous his development, he could have an Andre Johnson type of career. Metcalf and Lockett both demands respect, that would open more opportunities to the third receiver. Potentially, he could have a career year with Russ.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":shwk83dy said:
Spin Doctor":shwk83dy said:
olyfan63":shwk83dy said:
Jville":shwk83dy said:

To answer your question, nobody, I would not sign a wide receiver at the moment. I'd rather give a young guy a shot, especially since Dorsett's skillset is redundant -- or perhaps wait until post June cuts. Especially a guy with a skillset more akin to Baldwins skillset. A precise route runner that as quick in space and can cut on a dime. A dedicated slot receiver that can go over the middle and pick up first downs. This guy is not a fit for that role, nor has he shown to be adapt as a receiver on the outside. This is a draft that is very deep at wide receiver, we can most likely find a guy that can fulfil that role a little later in the draft. Moore has shown he's capable of filling in at split end in a pinch, and Malik Turner is very rough but showed potential. My concern is the cost here. He's going to take away reps from your younger wide receivers -- plus he's an unneeded redundancy.

TLDR: He's an upgrade over Turner, not really an upgrade over Moore, a known quantity in the NFL that takes reps away from younger guys. An overlapping skillset with Moore, and not really a fit as a slot receiver. I'd rather give one of our other young wide receivers a shot, rather than a five year vet that has failed to produce in the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":201p29g4 said:
olyfan63":201p29g4 said:
Jville":201p29g4 said:

Here's the Spin we haven't seen in some time :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2d84e1eb said:
Tom Brady has one of the best deep balls in the league

That's a bit of a lazy argument. Everyone knows Brady and Belichick downplay the deep game to the point that Brady has gotten the reputation of being the final evolved form of Captain Checkdown. He can do deep. We saw that when Randy Moss came through there. But that doesn't mean it's the norm for him.

Which, in turn, leaves room to be optimistic about the Dorsett signing.