Who is the best player on the Seahawks defense

Who is the best defender on the Seahawks?

• Richard Sherman

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Bobby Wagner

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • Earl Thomas

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Kam Chancellor

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters

hawksfan515

Reaction score
There are some worthy contenders, but it boils down to Earl, Kam, Sherman, and Bobby. Who is the best?

I will submit my vote for Wagner. To be named 1st team all-pro and miss five games in a season is amazing. He has been playing great football lately. Earl came close, but Bobby takes it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
They all have their moments, no doubt about it, but for me it is and will continue to be Thomas. He's the heart and soul of this defense, and his ability to play his position so well allows others to do what they do

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
"Best" is an impossible question to answer, too many amazing players.

I'd change the question to "who is the most important player on the Seahawks defense?".......or most irreplaceable.

IMO it's Earl. Earl is the reason the Hawks can run their cover 3 press schemes, his speed and instincts allow Kam the freedom to kill people in the box on the run and shallow crossing patterns................where all other teams with average free safeties have to run cover 2 with BOTH safeties back.

Field Gull did an entire article about this last year.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... nfl-saints

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3fbo0bym said:
Earl Thomas, no question.

No. There is a question. A very reasonable one.

My pick is Kameron. When he is healthy and at his best, my opinion is that no one player outside of maybe JJ Watt has such a big impact against an offense. Kam makes impact plays, and teams need to scheme to keep their players out of his way. I love Earl, and part of his magic is that teams dont even try to test him so sometimes you could even forget he's out there. But with Kam, he's always making impact plays around the ball and setting the tone for the whole team.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Earl Thomas

Because his ability to cover the field means that unlike basically every other team in the league, we rarely need/use a 2-high safety set. This means Kam can be the enforcer in the middle at all times. This means our linebackers have extra help and don't have to be as concerned with a misstep towards a play-action fake. This means our D line can play with the freedom of knowing they have an extra body behind them and our ends can rush the passer knowing it's not just on them to shut down any outside runs.

Thomas makes our entire scheme work. It's like playing with an extra half a guy on the field really. What Thomas does makes all those guys listed better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3sjg8vft said:
HawkFan72":3sjg8vft said:

My pick is Kameron. When he is healthy and at his best, my opinion is that no one player outside of maybe JJ Watt has such a big impact against an offense. Kam makes impact plays, and teams need to scheme to keep their players out of his way. I love Earl, and part of his magic is that teams dont even try to test him so sometimes you could even forget he's out there. But with Kam, he's always making impact plays around the ball and setting the tone for the whole team.

I can totally buy Kam, and not just for his X's and O's importance...........but he's the tone setter on defense. His big hits and imposing presence inspire his teammates and scare the crap out of other teams.

Football is such a sport of violence, intimidation, physicality and imposing your will on your opponent. In the dictionary under this sentence is a picture of Chancellor.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2q48rasd said:
HawkFan72":2q48rasd said:

I love Kam....Seriously, his hits are tone setting for our defense and he's a very valuable part of the reason we are once again, the number 1 defense, but without Earl roaming deep, Kam wouldn't be able to do what he does as well as he does. Earl being there allows Kam to play closer to the line than he otherwise might be able to do, which allows for him to be in position to make those quick hits to set that tone.

I have no problem with people having their favorites, and Kam is a great choice, I just think this defense loses more if Earl isn't out there than it loses without any other single player. Luckily we haven't had to find out the hard way if that's true or not.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Kam is awesome but Kam doesn't get to do what Kam does without Earl.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
On a side note it's pretty awesome that the Seahawks have taken a position like Safety that is oven overlooked and underrated and used it as the starting point for the league's best defense. Obviously a huge part of that is the fact that they drafted Thomas which was an easy decision to make for any team picking where they were, but don't forget they drafted Kam in the same 2010 draft. There was definitely an idea brewing already that Thomas could play the field allowing a monster like Kam to play up front.

Such a nice departure from all these teams who would just throw an aging cornerback out at safety who was too slow to cover anyone anymore.

el capitan

Reaction score
I voted for Earl, and I'd venture he's probably the best player on the team, period.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think people don't realize how good Sherman is. His advanced but him in a class all by himself historically at his position. Would love to hear Pete's answer to this question.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":1lxdur5w said:
I think people don't realize how good Sherman is. His advanced but him in a class all by himself historically at his position. Would love to hear Pete's answer to this question.

No disrespect to Shermy Sherm, but he's a very good player that only plays one half of the field. Now he shuts that half of the field down, but he's not responsible for the entire field like Earl is......thus less important in the grand scheme of our defense.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Earl of defense and it isn't even close.

He is every bit as important to the success of our entire defensive plan as Wilson is to our entire offensive plan (or lack thereof for all you Bevell haters).

He is surrounded by some of the historically best players at their position, but without Earl, it just doesn't run.

-bsd RPA

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think Earl is as important to us as Watt is to the Texans.

kearly

Reaction score
I voted for Thomas like most, but this was a surprisingly tough question. Our defense was a shadow of itself earlier this year when Wagner was out and Kam was playing hurt. Sherman's ability to shut down half the field is a huge part of the equation for our historically good pass defense.

Course, it has to be Thomas purely for structural reasons. But even if an elite single high safety was a luxury for us, you could still make a very strong case for Thomas due to his run stopping and instincts in coverage.

Latest posts