Not in the playoffs yet?

HawkGA

Reaction score
So I had thought if the Hawks won yesterday that they would in playoff position. But according to ESPN's rankings they are not. It's a bit of a glitch because the Skins have played one more NFC game than Seattle has and obviously that will correct itself by the end of the season (actually, after Week 15 looking at the Skins schedule). Not sure how the tie break would come down if not for that.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

Now, I'm guessing that will also change after next week as Seattle has a bye, er, play the 9ers and the Skins and Vikings play on the road at Philly and New England, respectively.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it to me. The season doesn't just stop after 11 games and so the current standings are meaningless compared to projected standings based on the remainder of the schedule.

- We have the easiest remaining schedule and play four of our last five at home.
- Our hardest game is against an AFC opponent which matters less for tie-break purposes.
- Redskins are down their starting QB.

Obviously if we drop the SF game this weekend then we're looking at an uphill challenge again but Pete will have the team thinking one game at a time.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Seahawks clinched a playoff spot yesterday IMO. Even if you lose to both the Vikings and Chiefs, Hawks will finish 9-7.

Redskins will do worse without Smith. Vikings will nab the one wildcard spot, and the Packers would have to win out to finish better than 9-7.

Obviously the Hawks, as any team, will be playing to win every game - but if everything shapes up as it is today Seattle would realllllly want that 5 seed.

As the 6 seed, you'd be going to Chicago and then if they won that, New Orleans.

As the 5 seed, they'd draw a very beatable NFC East champ and then possibly play the Rams if the Vikings were able to take out the Bears.

sutz

Reaction score
True, still several games to play yet, so no need for the team to get complacent. Quite the contrary, it's all a part of the 'finish' philosophy. One game at a time, don't let down, play hard to the whistle. It applies to the season as well. Not done until all the games are played.

Fans are good at premature celebrations. Players can't afford to.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I confused "control their own destiny" versus being in the top 6 right now. Because I think with the Vikings on the schedule, that means they control their own destiny as a victory over the Vikings (assuming both teams win all other games) would put the Seahawks tied with the Vikings and with the tie breaker.

Seymour

Reaction score
Not much to get too excited about yet. Yesterdays game was damn important, but it means little to nothing if we don't win 4 out of our last 5.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":npc0i21g said:
I'm wondering if I confused "control their own destiny" versus being in the top 6 right now. Because I think with the Vikings on the schedule, that means they control their own destiny as a victory over the Vikings (assuming both teams win all other games) would put the Seahawks tied with the Vikings and with the tie breaker.

You are correct sir.

"Control our destiny" = if we beat the teams we need to beat, we're in.

Beat Niners, Cards and Vikings, and even if we lose to Chiefs at home, doesn't matter we hold most of the head to head tie breakers. That's controlling our own destiny.

Now lose to the Vikings at home? Now it gets trickier, even though IMO they're going to drop more games down the stretch than us......either at the Patriots this weekend, or home against the Bears.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not to take any teams lightly and of course we need to win the majority of our final 5 but the Vikings is a MUST MUST MUST WIN.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Still a very narrow window but they opened it just a wee bit wider.

Regardless, it's been a very fun season so far...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3e5q0vpu said:
Still a very narrow window but they opened it just a wee bit wider.

Regardless, it's been a very fun season so far...

Not just a wee bit, quite a bit wider. Before yesterday we were at like 49% to make the playoffs........now we're at 75%. I like those odds.

Can't say enough about how Pete has surpassed my expectations this year. If we make the playoffs he should be in the running for coach of the year, he's turned the roster over in one off season and is already on his way to building another SB roster........much sooner than anyone thought. By a LOT.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, still a lot of work to do. But after yesterday, it truly feels like we are going to make the playoffs, or have a damn good shot. Who would have truly believed that before the season. I felt 9-7 was a possibility, but wasn't exactly confident in that. This season has been a pleasant surprise, and this team is actually very fun to watch. They are feisty, are not intimidated by anyone, don't give up and can run the crap out of the ball.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1dgpcstg said:
No doubt, still a lot of work to do. But after yesterday, it truly feels like we are going to make the playoffs, or have a damn good shot. Who would have truly believed that before the season. I felt 9-7 was a possibility, but wasn't exactly confident in that. This season has been a pleasant surprise, and this team is actually very fun to watch. They are feisty, are not intimidated by anyone, don't give up and can run the crap out of the ball.

I had 10-6 but never really believed it, I was just being optimistic lol. Agreed, a pleasant surprise indeed. Watching GMF this morning one of the hosts was saying that the Seahawks are one of his favorite teams to watch win or lose because they are never out of any game and give it their all to the finish.

Fun times ahead boys and girls! Buckle up!!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The 2017 Seahawks were 7-4 at this point in the season and went on to go 2-3 and miss the playoffs.

Plenty of football ahead. If we can ride the 5 game stretch of Rams-Packers-Panthers-Niners-Vikings at 4-1, it will be job accomplished in my mind. That would set us up at 8-5 like last year and playoffs entirely in our hands. But with an easier schedule.

Polaris

Reaction score
HawkGA":2hm2qc1a said:

We control our own destiny because even though Washington and the Vikings are ahead of us, we get to play the Vikings (which if we win would put us over them assuming we both win all our other games), and we play more conference games than the Redskins (we have four left vs their three) means that we as guaranteed to at least catch up with one or both of the two teams ahead of us should we win out.

Thus we control out destiny. The Vikings also control their destiny since they face us.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I keep reading that we "have to win four of our next 5" and that the Vikings game is a "must win"

I don't understand....I mean obviously the more we win, the higher our odds but other than the Vikings who have a one game lead on us currently, who else is really a threat to one of the two remaining spots if we go 9-7?

The Redskins in theory....but I highly doubt they win three out of their remaining 5.

The Panthers would have to go 10-6 in that scenario...and they play New Orleans twice. Probably not going to happen.

Who else?

10-6 gets Seattle in as a lock. But I think 9-7 our odds are still really, really good.

Losing to Minnesota would just mean they probably get the 5 and we get the 6. But then again, look at the Vikings stretch schedule. They may only win 8 unless they beat Seattle.

I get the nervousness...but I think barring a 3 loss collapse, this team is in.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
After the Saints and Rams, there's a lot of parity in the NFC. It's pretty exciting, actually, to have this much uncertainty for so many teams.

If the Chiefs aren't resting starters--i.e., they're playing at full strength--and we go undefeated from here on out to finish 11-5, what will the media narrative be, I wonder?

"Seahawks playing inspired by Paul Allen"
"Carol Turns Team Around with New Assistants"
(You fill in the next line. . . )

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3lidd85r said:
After the Saints and Rams, there's a lot of parity in the NFC. It's pretty exciting, actually, to have this much uncertainty for so many teams.

If the Chiefs aren't resting starters--i.e., they're playing at full strength--and we go undefeated from here on out to finish 11-5, what will the media narrative be, I wonder?

"Ladies and Gentlemen we have a new Mr. December."

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1a619h7u said:

"Dismantling the Legion of Boom has rewarded the Hawks"

As you wish.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3neimvz2 said:
HawkGA":3neimvz2 said:

You are correct sir.

"Control our destiny" = if we beat the teams we need to beat, we're in.

Beat Niners, Cards and Vikings, and even if we lose to Chiefs at home, doesn't matter we hold most of the head to head tie breakers. That's controlling our own destiny.

Now lose to the Vikings at home? Now it gets trickier, even though IMO they're going to drop more games down the stretch than us......either at the Patriots this weekend, or home against the Bears.

"Even if we lose to the Chiefs"?, The Seahawks need to SHOW that they can hang with ANY AND ALL the good teams in the League, or they will have pretty much have shown that they aren't quite ready for the playoffs, and ya, I know that they'd be playing with a clean slate, but they need to lock into a winning frame of mind if they don't want to be "One & Done" :irishdrinkers:

zchurch74

Reaction score
We cannot look too far ahead. We have to win this weekend first and foremost. I have a bad feeling we are going to take the Niners lightly and it will be a game in the fourth quarter.

We are way better then the Niners and should win easily. Game should be over half way thru the third quarter.