Just thinking it's almost time again

Are we Humble or Gloaters

• Humble, we will take the Super Bowl win with class and go after it again this season.

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Gloat, rub it in the 49ers and any other teams face at every opportunity, hey we won it they didn't.

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

chris98251

Reaction score
I was thinking that the last season is almost passed as far as the record goes and we are getting tuned up to start a new one, I have read over the years how past Champs have been as far as a fan base and was wondering how we will be perceived.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I've seen a lot more gloating than humble pie being served up from Seahawks fans, which is unfortunate, IMO.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I can't speak for an entire fan base, but personally I've always approached the next game/season as a brand new opportunity to prove oneself. Enjoy the memory, but know that it doesn't dictate the future in the slightest. There are always new players, new coaches, new opponents, and new situations to deal with next.

Edit: as my observation of fans close to me, i.e. friends and family, they are a usually gloaty bunch. Most of them of newbie fans, though. That might have something to do with it...

kearly

Reaction score
Based on the reactions from NFL.com and Profootballmock.com, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Twelves have already earned a reputation for being loud and obnoxious. I see no reason to change stripes now.

Besides, we have the best team in the whole damn league and everybody knows it. I say puff out those chests and talk shit, maybe even indulge in an evil laugh if you are the type. Seattle isn't just the best, they are going to be among the best for a really long time.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":4vheg2pj said:
Based on the reactions from NFL.com and Profootballmock.com, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Twelves have already earned a reputation for being loud and obnoxious. I see no reason to change stripes now.

Then we have become what we have hated, Seahawks fans used to be considered knowledgeable and courteous, something I was proud of as a fan base. I just hope those sites are National and not local, National we will have a boat load of new fans jumping on the Bandwagon and sadly not represent like the long time fans have. I am not slamming those of you from across the country that have been here the whole time by any means. Just those that are flavor of the month types that are the most vocal.

Riley12

Reaction score
Interesting poll about an interesting subject. Mostly because I was wondering myself about how the fan base now reacts to opposing fans, particularly the Niners, division opponents and Broncos fans.

Personally, I have only received the worst of treatment from Niner fans. That is, those Niner fans who are too young to have lived since the last time they won a championship, whether it was in their hometown or visiting here for a game. Because of that, I am happy when the asshats in our fan base confront the asshats from that fan base and they start bickering. A yapping, flat brimmed Niner fan can be shut down as easily as putting Sherman on Crabtree these days and it puts a big grin on my face.

Mostly, I feel their pain. We, as Seahawk fans, have felt their pain and worse over the history of the franchise. So, if I am greeted by a nod from a Niner fan, I give a nod in reply. If I make eye contact with a Bronco fan, I give my slightest, best "Sorry about that ass whooping in front of the biggest tv audience of all time." grimace and move along.

I also find myself more relaxed, falling now into the camp of a Yankee fan coworker of mine who said, on the day of the victory parade, that we should "Act like we've been there before." I wasn't ready to do so back in February, but I'm almost there now.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Personally I'm thrilled to have a SB title, but now that's for the record books. This season is a whole 'nother deal. Stay humble, stay hungry. We have the pieces in place. Just keep on chugging.

Throwdown

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":fenj8751 said:
Personally I'm thrilled to have a SB title, but now that's for the record books. This season is a whole 'nother deal. Stay humble, stay hungry. We have the pieces in place. Just keep on chugging.

Well yeah, but when someone starts barking with you and talking about the team is full of cheaters and all that good stuff, its freaking beautiful to point out what happened 2/2/2014.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
As I posted on another page of ours, I tried to stay classy. I plan on doing such as I see friends of mine as our friendship means more than just a football game.....although if they ask, I shall rub it in a tiny bit. They would expect it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Both! I try not to gloat around other teams fans, but the minute they start talking crap it's game on, especially fans of the legacy teams that haven't done won a Lombardi in 20+ years (I am looking at you whiner and Cowpatties fans).

What usually pisses them off is one of my five XLVIII champions t-shirts that I happen to be wearing on a particular day.

I deal with a cowboys fan at work that wants to talk about old antique trophies and rings all if the time. I ask him how many of those did Tony Romo and Dez Bryant earn????? Then it's like talking to Nigel from the movie spinal tap when talking about the amp that goes to 11..... the cowboys fan says "but we got 5".

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
National pollsters: You better fall in line and continue to take whatever we wish to dish out, Seahawks fans... or, we'll say bad things about you. Never mind all the years of ridicule, slighting, national insignificance.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

This isn't life stuff. It's rooting for your favorite team. Inherent in that is some degree of gloating. I suppose one can do that in a number of different ways. But, whether it's disguised in sophisticated fashion or simply blatant as all get out... at the end of the day it's still gloating. Is wearing a Super Bowl Champs T-Shirt gloating? Is a bumper sticker on your car or banner in front of your house gloating? Sure it is. Can't pass it off as some sort of harmless pride. Semantics.

It takes probably just one Seahawks fan acting in a manner not to the liking of someone who gets published or who can start a sweeping generalization that might even be made up out of bitterness from a rival who doesn't like it that the Seahawks are on top.

To be on top is to be hated. Goes with the territory. The question is... are you going to continue taking the same garbage others dished out for so many years? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":2gbf3a6y said:
kearly":2gbf3a6y said:

Then we have become what we have hated, Seahawks fans used to be considered knowledgeable and courteous, something I was proud of as a fan base. I just hope those sites are National and not local, National we will have a boat load of new fans jumping on the Bandwagon and sadly not represent like the long time fans have. I am not slamming those of you from across the country that have been here the whole time by any means. Just those that are flavor of the month types that are the most vocal.
Well Chris you are a better man than I. :)

I used to feel that way, until injustice that was XL* occurred. After that I didn't care what the NFL or any of it's other teams fanbases think about us. Now is that a dickish attitude to have? Probably, but I don't care, and am happier not worrying about other things I have no control over in the first place.

Lets face it, what we say or do isn't going to effect what other fanbases think. They either hate us, like us, or are indifferent towards us.

Now saying that, I don't go troll other teams forums, or go to the comments section of ESPN or anywhere else and start talking crap. I guess that's why I hate it when other teams trolls come here.

I am not a fan of the NFL, I am a fan of he Seattle Seahawks, and if our team and our fanbase has to wear the "black hat", I say embrace it! :th2thumbs:

just my dime's worth......

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I don't know if this contributes anything to this topic, but I'll offer this recent example.

I had an opportunity to hear many compliments about the Hawks from fans of other teams a few days ago. I think it helps to establish a decent conversation.

I attended a Jaguars "Caravan" here in Central Florida on Friday night with my youngest son, a huge fan of the game. Blake Bortles and others were there signing autographs, etc. We were both sporting our Seahawks gear in proud fashion. My son was excited to get his picture with Bortles and his autograph on a 2014 UCF poster/schedule.

A few people light-heartedly told us we couldn't wear Hawks gear there. lol. But, ended up having good conversations and didn't cause any trouble. I looked for ways to be honoring to others and their teams and greet others with a smile. Usually, that's a good policy. For example, stood in line with a Bucs fan (a UCF grad / Bortles fan) and shared with him the parallels I saw going into the Super Bowl between the Bucs vs. Raiders matchup and 48 - the best Defense vs. the prolific offense. Great conversation ensued. He absolutely loves the Seahawks Defense. Kept saying that.

A Jaguars rep came up and asked about the in-camp fighting between Sherm and Bates - as if I were there just b/c I'm wearing gear. I chuckled and responded. I'm sure he knew it wasn't uncommon with all teams, but probably wanted to see if he could cast doubt if I wasn't knowledgeable. He must have approved of my answers b/c pretty soon that guy was staying in line with us and the Bucs fan having a great conversation before he remembered he was supposed to be working and talking to people about game tickets.

I was asked a number of times if I think the Seahawks will repeat. ;)

Rainger

Reaction score
This is real simple. for those who are long time fans and have endured the shit of all the other fan bases over the years, I think the majority of them will be humble and not want to be like the obnoxious 49er Patriot Cowboy Steeler fan.

However there are a lot of Johnny come lately fans last 10, 5 or 2 years. I think it is easier for those fans to flip the middle finger and be more macho.

I also wonder how much it has to do with age?? Older fans more subdued, younger fans more in your face.

Like society there will be a range of all. It will be up to the media. They will paint the picture of Seattle Fans by what they want to portray. If they take a loud vocal in your face minority and present it as the "Seattle Fan" then that is how we will be perceived regardless what the truth is.

The media creates the truth they want.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
I voted for the second option, but only because I have and will shove the fact that we won into whiners fans faces whenever I get the chance IF PROVOKED. I otherwise am courteous and respectful to other people, fan or otherwise because my mom's taught me you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Plus I genuinely enjoy talking about the nfl, so I like hearing other fans perspectives. I work with a ton of cowboys and giants fans, but also Broncos, jets, patriots and 49ers fans pretty closely. I like all of them, and come the start of the season, I'll gladly chat with any of them.

I find that there's a difference between 49ers fans and whiners if civil discourse has an opportunity to flow.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I didn't vote, because I don't think it's an either/or situation. I am cordial up until someone gets snippy. If someone says something ignorant or insulting about the Seahawks, I do not feel the least bit compelled to exercise humility.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The funny thing is Hawk fans have ALWAYS been crazy, loud and rabid......it just took until the Hawks got good for the media to latch onto the 12th man story.

So this has resulted in the rest of the nation thinking we're all a bunch of bandwagon fans........when in reality we've been here all along. It's just that no one noticed.

My guess is the rest of the country will be annoyed by us, because of the reason I listed above, especially if the media continues it's coverage of the 12th man.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Throwdown":38h4osgo said:
Gloating, been doing it and idc.

Bingo. I'll gloat because Niners fans gloat about championships 20 years ago.

Because every fan of every team that has won has gloated at one time or another, and almost always the year after their first one.