49ers trading up to #3 pick with Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
94Smith":19bu1jtp said:
knownone":19bu1jtp said:
Marvin49":19bu1jtp said:
The bolded is funny to me. :)

I mean, how exactly do they have the 3rd or 4th best roster in the division? I think you've let one historically bad season of injuries get in your head there.

49ers are good at....

RB: DEEP room. So much so that they lost Coleman and McKinnon and they are still gonna have to cut someone who can play.

WR: Really good With Deebo and Aiyuk. 3rd WR is a question but Jalen Hurd might FINALLY make a splash and Ritchie James looked good in flashes last year.

TE: George. Was sad to see Reed retire. Never really got to see he and George together. They could use another TE tho. Dwelley is just OK.

O-Line: Major area of injury concern last year. Resigned Williams, Signed Alex Mack (Center was huge problem all year), and drafted a few guys to compete at RG. You guys are no stranger to O-Line issues, but I'd submit SF is better there.

D-Line: Getting Bosa back. Might get Dee Ford back. Kinlaw in year 2. Armstead. They are actually sneaky deep here after getting several guys back. Someone will say Seattle signed their leading sacker last year. I'd say there was a reason SF didn't offer that much and I highly doubt he'll repeat that performance.

LB: Warner. Greenlaw. I also like their depth there with Azeez. Niners picked up a few UDFA here.

DB: Ward still there. resigned Tartt. Resigned Moseley who took Witherspoons spot. Resigned K'waun Williams. Verrett had a great year, but yes...injury history is a concern. That's why they addressed the position in the draft. Book also might not have been written yet on Sherman...we'll see.

QB: Of course, this is the big one. I actually agree that Jimmy right now is the 4th best QB in the division. Despite that, with mostly this roster, they went to the SB with him. Now, if Jimmy gets hurt, instead of the season being over, they'll have Trey Lance.

So...just for a sec....what do you think would have happened to Seattle, Arizona, or LA in they'd lost their QB for most of the season in 2 of the last three years? I mean really. How would you react to someone who keeps pointing out that the Seahawks were only good for one year out of those 3 and its the one year Wilson played. Wouldn't that sound crazy?
. All while injuries devasted your two biggest rivals for much of the season; Seattle and LA had almost as many season-ending injuries that year as the Niners this year.

This is the the biggest load of horse XXXX I've ever heard! In 2019 Seattle reported 45 players with injuries and SF reported 45. In 2020 Seattle reported 47 players with injuries and SF jumped to 66! This includes COVID, Q, D, IR

...and none were their starting QB.

94Smith

Reaction score
I counted games missed by players and Seattle was 231 in 2019 and SF was 365. Biggest load of homer BS I've ever heard. Starting QB was out AND best player on offense AND best player on defense! Horse XXXX

94Smith

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2020_injuries.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2019_injuries.htm

Second highest adjusted games lost amount in the last 20 years behind the 2016 Bears

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/2020-adjusted-games-lost-part-i

If you look at the chart at the bottom SF AGL in 2020 was 166.6 and in 2019 was 95.8! 2019 Seahawks was 56.5 and LAR was 60.6.

You guys always say everything broke SF way in 2019, but they had more injuries then too!

Marvin49

Reaction score
94Smith":1dxfeu6e said:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2020_injuries.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2019_injuries.htm

Second highest adjusted games lost amount in the last 20 years behind the 2016 Bears

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2021/2020-adjusted-games-lost-part-i

If you look at the chart at the bottom SF AGL in 2020 was 166.6 and in 2019 was 95.8! 2019 Seahawks was 56.5 and LAR was 60.6.

You guys always say everything broke SF way in 2019, but they had more injuries then too!

The streak itself was bad enough, but Shanahan's 49ers suffered a particularly harsh fate with 166.6 adjusted games lost, the highest total in 2020 and second-highest since 2001 behind only the 2016 Bears at 171.6 (note that their total was listed at 155.1 prior to last year's methodology change). Given that adjusted games has a stronger year-over-year correlation with DVOA than it does with itself, Shanahan and defensive coordinator Robert Saleh may have accomplished more in their 11th place DVOA finish last year than they did in their fifth-place DVOA finish in their Super Bowl season. A healthy quarterback would be a great start—Shanahan is 24-9 with the 49ers with Jimmy Garoppolo as his starter.

Yup...sounds just like the Rams and Seahawks in 2019. :roll:

94Smith

Reaction score
AGL was 166.6 but our DVOA was still 5, yet we don't have depth. Sure! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :179422:

Fade

Reaction score
The 49ers have easily averaged the most injuries in the league over the last 15 years. What is going to be different in 2021? The 49ers are going to be injured AGAIN and finish in last place in the NFC West. It is going to be funny hearing all the whining about injures in about 4 months, and telling us to just wait until Trey Lance develops. I got the other 3 teams in the division making the playoffs, btw. :lol:

The Kyle Shanahan worshipping (as a head coach) is crazy at this juncture. He has had 1 winning season. ONE.

knownone

Reaction score
94Smith":2gxlab0o said:
AGL was 166.6 but our DVOA was still 5, yet we don't have depth. Sure! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :179422:
Four winning seasons in 18 years must be pretty rough. I'm glad you Niners fans have some moral victories to hang your hat on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":2fk0d5ex said:
The 49ers have easily averaged the most injuries in the league over the last 15 years. What is going to be different in 2021? The 49ers are going to be injured AGAIN and finish in last place in the NFC West. It is going to be funny hearing all the whining about injures in about 4 months, and telling us to just wait until Trey Lance develops. I got the other 3 teams in the division making the playoffs, btw. :lol:

The Kyle Shanahan worshipping (as a head coach) is crazy at this juncture. He has had 1 winning season. ONE.

...and Pete Carroll had 2 in his first 6 seasons.

Context is everything.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":1brn6liz said:
Fade":1brn6liz said:

Context is everything.
These are not contextually similar situations. First, Shanahan hasn't been a HC for 6 years, so you're cherry-picking. Second, Pete Carroll coached 3 separate teams in his first 6 seasons. Two of which were complete rebuilds.

A fair comparison would either compare their first 4 seasons or compare their first 4 seasons with the same team.

Shanahan: 29 wins - 35 losses: 3 playoff games, 2 playoff wins.

Carroll first 4: 33 wins - 31 losses: 3 playoff games, 1 playoff win.

Carroll first 4 w/Seahawks: 38 wins - 26 losses: 7 playoff games, 4 playoff wins, SB Champion.

Just for perspective, for Shanahan to statistically match Carroll's first 6 seasons with Seattle, he'd have to go two straight seasons with one loss and win a Superbowl.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":mtmykmfg said:
Marvin49":mtmykmfg said:
Fade":mtmykmfg said:

Context is everything.
These are not contextually similar situations. First, Shanahan hasn't been a HC for 6 years, so you're cherry-picking. Second, Pete Carroll coached 3 separate teams in his first 6 seasons. Two of which were complete rebuilds.

A fair comparison would either compare their first 4 seasons or compare their first 4 seasons with the same team.

Carroll first 4 w/Seahawks: 38 wins - 26 losses: 7 playoff games, 4 playoff wins, SB Champion.

Just for perspective, for Shanahan to statistically match Carroll's first 6 seasons with Seattle, he'd have to go two straight seasons with one loss and win a Superbowl.

Well, for even more clarity, by year 4, Carroll had also already been fired. Twice.

As for Shanahan, he had two rebuild years. In one year, he went 5-0 when he got Garoppolo to close the season. The following year Garoppolo was injured in week 3.

Then they went to the Super Bowl in year 3.

Then last years ridiculous year of injuries, including Garoppolo again.

You guys make out like 2019 was some kind of aberration. No. It took a few years to turn over the roster, they got to the Super Bowl, and then they had one of the worst injury seasons ever.

If Shanahan and the Niners suck this year, then you might have a point, but until then...really not.

BTW...why is the standard "with Seattle"? Was he not a HC in NY and NE? Seems like cherry picking to me. He got to the Super Bowl after being an NFL head coach for EIGHT seasons, plus 10 or so more in college.

Shanahan has been a HC for 4 years. That's it. In his FIRST job as a HC, he turned entire roster over and took the team to a SB.

Now he had one bad year since in injury hell and all of the sudden you are like "he's had only one good year". LOL.

Please.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
People suddenly love Pete Carroll when they have to defend his honor to fans of division rivals. Maybe we need more opposing fans here to take some of the duncery out of the place.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":c7fcmz65 said:
knownone":c7fcmz65 said:
Marvin49":c7fcmz65 said:
Fade":c7fcmz65 said:

Context is everything.

Well, for even more clarity, by year 4, Carroll had also already been fired. Twice.

As for Shanahan, he had two rebuild years. In one year, he went 5-0 when he got Garoppolo to close the season. The following year Garoppolo was injured in week 3.

You guys make out like 2019 was some kind of aberration. No. It took a few years to turn over the roster, they got to the Super Bowl, and then they had one of the worst injury seasons ever.

If Shanahan and the Niners suck this year, then you might have a point, but until then...really not.

BTW...why is the standard "with Seattle"? Was he not a HC in NY and NE? Seems like cherry picking to me. He got to the Super Bowl after being an NFL head coach for EIGHT seasons, plus 10 or so more in college.

Shanahan has been a HC for 4 years. That's it. In his FIRST job as a HC, he turned entire roster over and took the team to a SB.

Now he had one bad year since in injury hell and all of the sudden you are like "he's had only one good year". LOL.

Please.

Caroll was fired after only 1 season with the Jets, and he won 2 more games than his successor did in the 2 following seasons. Don't blame a coach for an incompetent organization.

As for New England, he never had a losing season there despite a meddling owner that tied his hands.

And in Seattle, he won the division in his first year and a playoff game, despite completely rebuilding the team and setting an NFL record for transactions in a season. While Seattle did have a losing record, their win total was higher than either of the previous 2 seasons.

All Shanny does well is blow leads.

This was published a week before SB LIV: https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...le-shanahans-49ers-will-blow-significant-lead

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LOL... now you guys have done it. Marvin has his back up.
He is going to “Hulk out” and the Super Homer will come out.
< cue the sad end of the episode of Incredible Hulk theme song here >.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":1eg25tv6 said:
knownone":1eg25tv6 said:
Marvin49":1eg25tv6 said:
Fade":1eg25tv6 said:

Context is everything.

Please.
Not sure how Carroll being fired is relevant to him having a better record. The Jets fired him because the owner did not like his coaching style. The Patriots fired him after 2 playoff appearances and no losing seasons. Belicheck went 5-11 with roughly the same roster a year later.

Shanahan has 3 losing seasons. You can rationalize them any way you want. Personally, I think if Seattle didn't get derailed by injuries, we'd have won the division in 2019, and you'd never have made the Superbowl. Does it mean anything? No. It's just my opinion. However, facts matter, and as it currently stands, 2019 was, in fact, an aberration for the 49ers under Shanahan.

Furthermore, you are the one who brought Pete up. So, you might want to reread what I wrote, I did not specify Seattle as a standard. I gave you Pete's first 4 seasons as a HC and his first 4 seasons with one team because that would be a more applicable comparison. You know, because Shanahan only has 4 seasons with one team.

Lastly, if you are going to use quotes, make sure you address the specific person who said it. I haven't made a commentary on Shanahan's ability that was Fade. I think Shanahan is a good coach, but I don't understand how Niners fans can constantly deny reality while insisting that they are the ones being logical. The only thing we know for certain is what happened. The rest is in your head.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Always excuses with the Niners. To hear them talk its just plain bad luck they haven't won the last 20 superbowls in a row. A truly delusional fan base.

94Smith

Reaction score
Shanahan has 3 losing seasons. You can rationalize them any way you want. Personally, I think if Seattle didn't get derailed by injuries, we'd have won the division in 2019, and you'd never have made the Superbowl. Does.

You realize SF had more injuries in 2019 as well ? In 2019 Seattle adjusted games lost was 56.5 (rank 9) . Sf was 95.8 (rank 27) . I’d argue that you guys would have never won the OT game in SF if it wasn’t for injuries

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":32m24uib said:
Shanahan has 3 losing seasons. You can rationalize them any way you want. Personally, I think if Seattle didn't get derailed by injuries, we'd have won the division in 2019, and you'd never have made the Superbowl. Does.

You realize SF had more injuries in 2019 as well ? In 2019 Seattle adjusted games lost was 56.5 (rank 9) . Sf was 95.8 (rank 27) . I’d argue that you guys would have never won the OT game in SF if it wasn’t for injuries

We would have 3 more Super Bowl wins if not for injuries, what's your point, you are not excusive in would of could of instances.

Manual doesn't get hurt we win against Pittsburgh, our line isn't injured and we beat Chicago in the Division and win the Super Bowl, Avril and Lake, Bennett and Sherman as well as Kam not injured we beat the Patriots going away and the worst play in Super Bowl History doesn't happen.

94Smith

Reaction score
chris98251":16rm4t3r said:
94Smith":16rm4t3r said:

our line isn't injured and we beat Chicago in the Division and win the Super Bowl, .

Divisional round! LMAO Dude losing in the divisional round is Seattle’s MO. Couple more games after that one. Check out SF NFC championship appearances . My god Seahawks fans think the league started when you guys moved divisions

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":1ex1za0m said:
chris98251":1ex1za0m said:
94Smith":1ex1za0m said:

our line isn't injured and we beat Chicago in the Division and win the Super Bowl, .

Divisional round! LMAO Dude losing in the divisional round is Seattle’s MO. Couple more games after that one. Check out SF NFC championship appearances . My god Seahawks fans think the league started when you guys moved divisions

A competitive NFC West sure did now didn't, how many Division titles have you won since we set up camp?

Things got a bit easier after the expansion teams you beat up on in Atlanta, New Orleans, and Carolina were re aligned also.

Previously we were in what was arguably the toughest Division in the AFC and after getting our feet wet competed decently in the 80's under Knox.

They were happy to see us leave and make life a bit easier.

Marvin49

Reaction score
So...seems I riled up a bit of a hornets next.

To be clear...

1) I actually like Pete Carroll...in the way that I hate his guts because he coaches a division rival but I respect him and he was once a DC in SF. Hell, even the Leo position made famous in Seattle is an offshoot of the Elephant (Fred Dean, Charles Haley) in SF. :)

2) My point wasn't to disparage Carroll. It was only that people slamming Shanahan needs to slow down a bit. By this time in his career, Carroll had been fired twice. OF COURSE there were extenuating circumstances, just as there were in Shanahans seasons, particularly last year. Carroll would never have become a SB winning HC if he flat sucked at coaching. He doesn't.

3) What has people here riled up IMO isn't that they think Shanahan sucks. Its that the WANT him to suck and that they HATE that the media praises the HC of a division rival. Me, I like Shanahan, but at no point have I even ranked him among the best in the league or claimed him as such. That has to be earned. I just think its funny that opposing fans just HATE the praise so much. What can't be argued tho is that his offense (well, really his dads which was an offshoot of Bill Walsh) is now spreading all over the league in the same way that Carrolls defense has. In league circles, he is THE guy in terms of offense. Whether you like him or not, that's how he's viewed.

4) "Super Homer". That's funny. Basically, me going full homer is not just agreeing that Shanahan is hopelessly overrated and that he sucks. M'Kay.

Status
Not open for further replies.