49ers trading up to #3 pick with Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAB420

Reaction score
I wonder which of the three (Fields, Jones, or Lance) would have still been on the board at the Niners original #12 spot? We know Jones would have been, but the Fins took a WR at #6. Would they have made the same pick at #3? Could the Niners have had a choice between 2 of the top 3 QB's left after Wilson and Lawrence? That's what's so great about draft day...who knows.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Don't know much about Trey Lance other than small school, limited experience, high intangibles, good athleticism, low accuracy and Cam Newton comparisons.

Could be boom or bust. Huge risk for all that draft capital.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Lance is the one, I personally did not want the 49ers to get. Crazy athlete, cannon of a arm, dual threat and the intelligence to improve. Not to mention how strong he will become, hell he is still growing into his body. He scares me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TAB420

Reaction score
Not me. Less experience and played against easier defenses. They may have gotten Fields and kept those other draft picks, we already know they could have had Jones at their #12 spot. I was just glad it wasn't Fields.

knownone

Reaction score
All of the QBs after Lawrence have pretty huge question marks. The only major question mark with Lance is his ability to read the field and throw guys open, which should be helped by the Niners not immediately throwing him into the fire. If he can do that, he'll be a stud.

On the flip side, the precedent for guys like him coming out and succeeding is fairly low. Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are the rare exceptions. Jake Locker, Robert Griffin, Sam Darnold, Mitchell Trubiski, etc., are the rule. You could even throw guys like Vince Young, Colin Kaepernick, Daniel Jones, and Blake Bortles in there, who had a similar skill deficiency as Lance coming out and way more experience. Although, lack of experience seems to play in Lance's favor because we don't know what his limitations truly are.

The Niners are basically gambling their future on Lance being a stud in a year or two while hedging that if he's a bust, Jimmy G will soften the blow. Personally, I think the Niners are overvaluing their current roster. The media is painting their roster as elite, but the attrition from their SB run is very real. They have arguably the 3rd or 4th best roster in the NFC West, the 3rd or 4th best starting QB, and Lance is not expected to be ready for at least one season. You could make the case that injuries are the only reason they weren't a 10+ win team, but that's an optimistic way to build your future roster coming off a 6 win season.

Where I get confused is what the immediate expectations for their franchise are? Is another sub .500 season acceptable while they wait for Lance to develop? I can't wrap my head around how satisfied my Niner's friends are with the team. If this were Seattle's situation, we'd be livid. Meanwhile, the 49ers have a strong chance of having their 4th losing season in 5 years under Shanahan and Lynch, and my Niners friends are happy they just traded their future for Lance while believing Lynch and Shanahan have a "3-year window" before their on the hot seat. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

94Smith

Reaction score
After watching A LOT of games, qb analysis, and replays on You tube, my opinion (for the 49ers) was Lance>Jones>Fields.

I just think Fields did not really fit what we do, I did not like the slower release, he seemed slower to make decisions and his mechanics are wonky as well. Sometimes because of his mechanics it affects his accuracy. I can see Lance being successful as a niners because of all the play action and bootlegs he ran in college. I could see Jones being successful as a niner because he is basically Garoppolo 2.0. I just could not see it with fields.

Lance is a good choice for us because he can sit and learn until he is ready.

94Smith

Reaction score
knownone":3ceomh1d said:
Personally, I think the Niners are overvaluing their current roster. The media is painting their roster as elite, but the attrition from their SB run is very real..

Buckner, Sherman ?

Dee Ford is a question mark, who knows if he will play.

WR are better, LT arguably better, Verret arguably had a Sherman on par year last year. Where is the attrition? Everybody else is the same. Our C Richburg was injured during the playoff run

We have All pro quality at TE, DE , LB, LT, FB

15/22 of the starters are exactly the same guys, 17/25 if you count special teams

Fade

Reaction score
They painted themselves into a corner by trading up so aggressively, so early.

The believed in Trey Lance so much that they were trying to peddle the pick to GB for Rodgers just hours before the draft, that is real belief I tells ya.

So now that they were stuck at 3, and seeing Kyle looking so distraught at Mac Jones Pro Day knowing they couldn't take Mac Jones that high it came down to Lance and Fields.

Lance won out due to the offense he played in. A pro-style offense with long verbage in the play calls. It will be a much easier transition for Lance than Fields for the 49ers.

My personal grade for Lance was incomplete. He has so few throws and only played in 1 game last season, he just doesn't have the body of work to get a real eval on him.

At number 3 I would've taken Kyle Pitts and gone with Trask in the 2nd.

But if I'm forced to take a QB at number 3 then I also would've taken Trey Lance. Fields falls off a cliff scarily when pressured, and is going to take even longer than Lance to develop as a pocket QB. Lance's physical traits are obvious, and more importantly the type of mindset he has would lead you to believe he can be great at the next level with proper development, but this is a projection of a projection because he really needed another season in college.

Fields will have to do it with his legs early and often. And Nagy is going to have to find ways to keep him out of 3rd and Long. Fields will be so damn bad as a rookie in that situation, and is the biggest reason why he didn't go top 5. Fields is easily confused by exotic coverage, and doesn't have a feel for the rush when he doesn't trust what his eyes see, and that's when the really bad decisions, and big mistakes start happening for him. He also at times throws the football like a Javelin and that inconsistent motion is going to lead to more interceptions in the early going.

Obviously, Mac Jones just isn't physically talented enough to justify using THREE 1sts and a 3rd.

All 3 of these guys were pushed way up the board and like I posted earlier, they probably will all flop. Gun to my head I would vote for Lance as the least likely to flop out of those 3, so there's that.

Fun Fact: Since 2000, 75% of QBs taken in the 1st round have busted. The math says only 1 of the 5 taken in the 1st this year will "hit," maybe 2 of 5 will if you're lucky. 3 guys is rare, being 2004 the last time that happened (Manning, Rivers, Big Ben.)

knownone

Reaction score
94Smith":18ixmq99 said:
knownone":18ixmq99 said:
Personally, I think the Niners are overvaluing their current roster. The media is painting their roster as elite, but the attrition from their SB run is very real..

Buckner, Sherman ?

Dee Ford is a question mark, who knows if he will play.

WR are better, LT arguably better, Verret arguably had a Sherman on par year last year. Where is the attrition? Everybody else is the same. Our C Richburg was injured during the playoff run

We have All pro quality at TE, DE , LB, LT, FB

15/22 of the starters are exactly the same guys, 17/25 if you count special teams
Few things. Buckner and Sherman were all-pros in 2019. Verret has been injury-prone his entire career, so it's unclear whether he can remain a viable starter. Kwon Alexander and Dee Ford are injury-prone yet pro bowl caliber players who contributed to that 2019 SB run; Kwon is no longer on the team, and (as you mentioned) Ford is a question mark.

The Niners (much like Seattle) played a fairly weak offensive schedule last season, contributing to inflated defensive stats. For example, they only played 4 games against top 15 QBs in the entire season and gave up an average of 33 points and 370 yards. They went 0-4 in those games (Sea 2x, GB, Buf).

I think Niners fans are falling into the same trap that Seahawks fans fell into in 2015. Here's what I mean, your starters are still roughly comparable to 2019, but your depth is nowhere near what it was. On top of that, the division around you is better: the Cardinals have arguably the most talented roster in the division, Seattle and LA have better QBs. You could maybe make the case that SF has the best defense, but that's debatable given the Rams were #1 in the league last year.

So what is a realistic ceiling for your team this season? I'll be honest, I have a hard time seeing you exceed 10 wins unless Lance hits the ground running. I would put money on 8-8, and if that's the case, I'm not sure how we can go into another off-season pretending that Lynch and Shanahan are these geniuses while having done very little to deserve the praise they keep getting.

94Smith

Reaction score
The depth of the team was put to the test last year with possibly the most injury riddled season the nfl has ever seen and they were still 6-10. Also the depth of the team was weakest at QB ,interior o line , and CB and they have taken out huge capital in free agency and the draft in these areas.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":4hkxp15x said:
They painted themselves into a corner by trading up so aggressively, so early.

The believed in Trey Lance so much that they were trying to peddle the pick to GB for Rodgers just hours before the draft, that is real belief I tells ya.

So now that they were stuck at 3, and seeing Kyle looking so distraught at Mac Jones Pro Day knowing they couldn't take Mac Jones that high it came down to Lance and Fields.

Lance won out due to the offense he played in. A pro-style offense with long verbage in the play calls. It will be a much easier transition for Lance than Fields for the 49ers.

My personal grade for Lance was incomplete. He has so few throws and only played in 1 game last season, he just doesn't have the body of work to get a real eval on him.

At number 3 I would've taken Kyle Pitts and gone with Trask in the 2nd.

But if I'm forced to take a QB at number 3 then I also would've taken Trey Lance. Fields falls off a cliff scarily when pressured, and is going to take even longer than Lance to develop as a pocket QB. Lance's physical traits are obvious, and more importantly the type of mindset he has would lead you to believe he can be great at the next level with proper development, but this is a projection of a projection because he really needed another season in college.

Fields will have to do it with his legs early and often. And Nagy is going to have to find ways to keep him out of 3rd and Long. Fields will be so damn bad as a rookie in that situation, and is the biggest reason why he didn't go top 5. Fields is easily confused by exotic coverage, and doesn't have a feel for the rush when he doesn't trust what his eyes see, and that's when the really bad decisions, and big mistakes start happening for him. He also at times throws the football like a Javelin and that inconsistent motion is going to lead to more interceptions in the early going.

Obviously, Mac Jones just isn't physically talented enough to justify using THREE 1sts and a 3rd.

All 3 of these guys were pushed way up the board and like I posted earlier, they probably will all flop. Gun to my head I would vote for Lance as the least likely to flop out of those 3, so there's that.

Fun Fact: Since 2000, 75% of QBs taken in the 1st round have busted. The math says only 1 of the 5 taken in the 1st this year will "hit," maybe 2 of 5 will if you're lucky. 3 guys is rare, being 2004 the last time that happened (Manning, Rivers, Big Ben.)

Never underestimate the ability of rival fan to portray the front office of the team they hate in complete befuddlement. LOL.

This trade up was NEVER about Mac. Never. I've been saying this from the start. Lynch and Shanahan confirmed it after the 1st round. The media narrative that the 49ers traded up for Mac and then changed their mind is 100% false.

They have liked Lance since JANUARY. They also told NOBODY who they preferred. The Mac leak took on a life of its own and wasn't sourced from anyone with knowledge of whom they liked, just as I've been saying all along in this thread. As Shanahan said in the conference, they felt no duty to correct the story in the media and the whirlwind did nothing but serve them.

They liked Lance. They liked Fields. Yes, they even liked Mac, but Mac was NEVER going to be the pick at 3 no matter how much the media tries to backtrack and make their initial reporting "correct".

Read what I've been saying for the past month in this thread. There is a reason I was so sure it wasn't Mac and why I was about 75% sure it was Lance.

It was all about Kyle seeing Wilson and Murray in his division, Stafford trading into it, and most of all, seeing Josh Allen last year up close. He wanted a QB with athletic traits...big arm, mobility...but also a QB who could play from the pocket.

I love the pick. I will make no guarantee that this pick doesn't crash and burn in a big way, but I love the pick and his potential. So much is made of the level he played on. I have almost zero concern with that. Small college QBs drafted in round 1 have historically done well (McNair, Flacco, even Wentz for awhile). Yes, the D aren't as good, but neither are the guys blocking for him or running routes.

What DOES concern me is the number of starts. He just hasn't played that much. Here's the rub tho that makes it a bit different...He took of in 2019 as a Redshirt FRESHMAN. The only reason he only had 17 starts was COVID shutting down the entire league. What could he have done last year with a full 14-16 games, spring practice, etc? We'll never know.

I dunno if I LOVE that they traded up, gave up all those picks to take Lance. I love the player, but you guys know how I feel about trading 1st rounders.

No question, this is a boom or bust pick. Personally, I think he's gonna make it and I was ecstatic to hear his name called on Thursday.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":1vi2f0mr said:
All of the QBs after Lawrence have pretty huge question marks. The only major question mark with Lance is his ability to read the field and throw guys open, which should be helped by the Niners not immediately throwing him into the fire. If he can do that, he'll be a stud.

On the flip side, the precedent for guys like him coming out and succeeding is fairly low. Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are the rare exceptions. Jake Locker, Robert Griffin, Sam Darnold, Mitchell Trubiski, etc., are the rule. You could even throw guys like Vince Young, Colin Kaepernick, Daniel Jones, and Blake Bortles in there, who had a similar skill deficiency as Lance coming out and way more experience. Although, lack of experience seems to play in Lance's favor because we don't know what his limitations truly are.

The Niners are basically gambling their future on Lance being a stud in a year or two while hedging that if he's a bust, Jimmy G will soften the blow. Personally, I think the Niners are overvaluing their current roster. The media is painting their roster as elite, but the attrition from their SB run is very real. They have arguably the 3rd or 4th best roster in the NFC West, the 3rd or 4th best starting QB, and Lance is not expected to be ready for at least one season. You could make the case that injuries are the only reason they weren't a 10+ win team, but that's an optimistic way to build your future roster coming off a 6 win season.

Where I get confused is what the immediate expectations for their franchise are? Is another sub .500 season acceptable while they wait for Lance to develop? I can't wrap my head around how satisfied my Niner's friends are with the team. If this were Seattle's situation, we'd be livid. Meanwhile, the 49ers have a strong chance of having their 4th losing season in 5 years under Shanahan and Lynch, and my Niners friends are happy they just traded their future for Lance while believing Lynch and Shanahan have a "3-year window" before their on the hot seat. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

The bolded is funny to me. :)

I mean, how exactly do they have the 3rd or 4th best roster in the division? I think you've let one historically bad season of injuries get in your head there.

49ers are good at....

RB: DEEP room. So much so that they lost Coleman and McKinnon and they are still gonna have to cut someone who can play.

WR: Really good With Deebo and Aiyuk. 3rd WR is a question but Jalen Hurd might FINALLY make a splash and Ritchie James looked good in flashes last year.

TE: George. Was sad to see Reed retire. Never really got to see he and George together. They could use another TE tho. Dwelley is just OK.

O-Line: Major area of injury concern last year. Resigned Williams, Signed Alex Mack (Center was huge problem all year), and drafted a few guys to compete at RG. You guys are no stranger to O-Line issues, but I'd submit SF is better there.

D-Line: Getting Bosa back. Might get Dee Ford back. Kinlaw in year 2. Armstead. They are actually sneaky deep here after getting several guys back. Someone will say Seattle signed their leading sacker last year. I'd say there was a reason SF didn't offer that much and I highly doubt he'll repeat that performance.

LB: Warner. Greenlaw. I also like their depth there with Azeez. Niners picked up a few UDFA here.

DB: Ward still there. resigned Tartt. Resigned Moseley who took Witherspoons spot. Resigned K'waun Williams. Verrett had a great year, but yes...injury history is a concern. That's why they addressed the position in the draft. Book also might not have been written yet on Sherman...we'll see.

QB: Of course, this is the big one. I actually agree that Jimmy right now is the 4th best QB in the division. Despite that, with mostly this roster, they went to the SB with him. Now, if Jimmy gets hurt, instead of the season being over, they'll have Trey Lance.

So...just for a sec....what do you think would have happened to Seattle, Arizona, or LA in they'd lost their QB for most of the season in 2 of the last three years? I mean really. How would you react to someone who keeps pointing out that the Seahawks were only good for one year out of those 3 and its the one year Wilson played. Wouldn't that just sound crazy?

Fade

Reaction score
The 49ers are going to finish in last place in the NFC West in 2021 Marv.

The 49ers have the oldest roster in the NFL, they are going to get injured again because that's what older players do.

They have the worst QB in the division. Wilson > Stafford w/McVay = Murray > > Jimmy/Lance.

Elite QBs and/or Elite Defenses win Division titles. The Rams have an elite defense and a massive upgrade at QB, the Seahawks have an Elite QB. Those 2 are the frontrunners to win the Division, and I give the Rams the slight edge right now, with AZ being the darkhorse if everything pops for them and Murray goes to another level in year 3.

The Niners lost a tremendous leader in Robert Salah and their defense is not going to be as good due to that loss. Jimmy is mid on his best day, and Lance is a project.

Kyle Shanahan is an OC LARPing as a Head Coach, and will experience his 5th losing season in 6 years. 2019 was the outlier. Bear in mind I predicted the 49ers were going to have a great 2019 on this very forum "The 49ers are the real threat." I am no hater.

I call a ball a "ball" and a strike a "strike."

I look forward to you damage controlling the injuries on here once again in about 5 months, and how Kyle Shanahan should get another season even though he continues to under perform. He is a brilliant playcaller, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a Head Coach.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":2ycraf0y said:
The 49ers are going to finish in last place in the NFC West in 2021 Marv.

The 49ers have the oldest roster in the NFL, they are going to get injured again because that's what older players do.

They have the worst QB in the division. Wilson > Stafford w/McVay = Murray > > Jimmy/Lance.

Elite QBs and/or Elite Defenses win Division titles. The Rams have an elite defense and a massive upgrade at QB, the Seahawks have an Elite QB. Those 2 are the frontrunners to win the Division, and I give the Rams the slight edge right now, with AZ being the darkhorse if everything pops for them and Murray goes to another level in year 3.

The Niners lost a tremendous leader in Robert Salah and their defense is not going to be as good due to that loss. Jimmy is mid on his best day, and Lance is a project.

Kyle Shanahan is an OC LARPing as a Head Coach, and will experience his 5th losing season in 6 years. 2019 was the outlier. Bear in mind I predicted the 49ers were going to have a great 2019 on this very forum "The 49ers are the real threat." I am no hater.

I call a ball a "ball" and a strike a "strike."

I look forward to you damage controlling the injuries on here once again in about 5 months, and how Kyle Shanahan should get another season even though he continues to under perform. He is a brilliant playcaller, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a Head Coach.

Yeah. M'Kay.

There is ALOT of hope in that post there man. ALOT. We'll see this year, but WOW.

I'll keep the receipts. :)

BTW: Oldest roster in the NFL? uh.....

They have exactly TWO starters over 30. TWO. Alex Mack and Trent Williams. Seattle has 7. Wilson, Wagner, Brown, Dunlap, Hyder, Woods, and if they resign him, Wright.

What on earth are you talking about?

hoxrox

Reaction score
My initial gut feeling is that Lance won't bust like a Jamarcus Russell, but he's not going to be the next Pat Mahomes or Lamar Jackson either. And for everything they paid to acquire him, he better be a sure-fire generational talent.

Since no one knows if he will be, Lynch and Shanny took a huge gamble. They went all in, hoping for an inside straight on the river. Not really the best way to build a team, unless they think they can win it all in the next 2-3 years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hoxrox":1pfugbr9 said:
My initial gut feeling is that Lance won't bust like a Jamarcus Russell, but he's not going to be the next Pat Mahomes or Lamar Jackson either. And for everything they paid to acquire him, he better be a sure-fire generational talent.

Since no one knows if he will be, Lynch and Shanny took a huge gamble. They went all in, hoping for an inside straight on the river. Not really the best way to build a team, unless they think they can win it all in the next 2-3 years.

Errrrr....I think he’ll be much better than both Russell or Lamar, but then that’s because I’m not all that high in Lamar. Tremendous athlete, but he’s a product of the same Greg Roman system that Kap was. I didn’t see it at the time, but it’s clear as day now. The next step is that they will try to get him to play more from the pocket and the more he tries the worse he’ll get.

As for Lance, there is no question this is a big risk. This is what you do tho. Getting any franchise QB requires luck no matter how you try. Some get one in round three. Some in round 6. Most often though, they go top of round one. If you see one you think can be one of those guys, you go get him. There are no guarantees.

Nobody knew Mahomes would be Mahomes. Teams miss as much as they fail up there...but if you want a big time QB, you gotta pay what it takes when you think you’ve identified one.

I just hope Lance is one of those guys. Nobody really knows.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":1y5s1z73 said:

I mean, how exactly do they have the 3rd or 4th best roster in the division? I think you've let one historically bad season of injuries get in your head there.

49ers are good at....

RB: DEEP room. So much so that they lost Coleman and McKinnon and they are still gonna have to cut someone who can play.

WR: Really good With Deebo and Aiyuk. 3rd WR is a question but Jalen Hurd might FINALLY make a splash and Ritchie James looked good in flashes last year.

TE: George. Was sad to see Reed retire. Never really got to see he and George together. They could use another TE tho. Dwelley is just OK.

O-Line: Major area of injury concern last year. Resigned Williams, Signed Alex Mack (Center was huge problem all year), and drafted a few guys to compete at RG. You guys are no stranger to O-Line issues, but I'd submit SF is better there.

D-Line: Getting Bosa back. Might get Dee Ford back. Kinlaw in year 2. Armstead. They are actually sneaky deep here after getting several guys back. Someone will say Seattle signed their leading sacker last year. I'd say there was a reason SF didn't offer that much and I highly doubt he'll repeat that performance.

LB: Warner. Greenlaw. I also like their depth there with Azeez. Niners picked up a few UDFA here.

DB: Ward still there. resigned Tartt. Resigned Moseley who took Witherspoons spot. Resigned K'waun Williams. Verrett had a great year, but yes...injury history is a concern. That's why they addressed the position in the draft. Book also might not have been written yet on Sherman...we'll see.

QB: Of course, this is the big one. I actually agree that Jimmy right now is the 4th best QB in the division. Despite that, with mostly this roster, they went to the SB with him. Now, if Jimmy gets hurt, instead of the season being over, they'll have Trey Lance.

So...just for a sec....what do you think would have happened to Seattle, Arizona, or LA in they'd lost their QB for most of the season in 2 of the last three years? I mean really. How would you react to someone who keeps pointing out that the Seahawks were only good for one year out of those 3 and its the one year Wilson played. Wouldn't that sound crazy?
I think you've taken my comment out of context. Who do you rate your roster ahead of? I would argue that the Cardinals have the most talent on paper. I think Seattle, LA, and San Fran are pretty similar, but I give the edge to Seattle at #2 because of continuity and Russ. The 49ers and Rams are a toss-up because of all the question marks surrounding their teams. Keep in mind, I'm not saying Arizona will be the better team. I look at them on paper and think they have the highest upside in the division.

I've mentioned this before, and I'll repeat it. You can't use injuries as an excuse when your GM prioritizes guys known to have injury concerns. Look at the guys Lynch has gone after Verrett, Sherman, Ford, Deeboo, Alexander, Ward, Hurd, etc... were all guys who've dealt with or were coming off severe injuries when signed/drafted/re-signed. It's no secret that your front office targets players who are undervalued because of injuries, so we can't pretend that it's just bad luck when your team deals with injuries in 3 out of 4 seasons.

As for what would happen if Seattle or LA lost their QBs, that's a tough question. I'm in the minority who think the Seahawks wouldn't drop off dramatically without Russ, but they'd definitely win fewer than 10 games. The Rams offense scored fewer points than the 49ers last year. I'm not sure losing Goff would have had a dramatic impact on their record. Here's where we definitely disagree. I think Goff is a better QB than Jimmy G. In other words; I don't think Jimmy G being healthy has a dramatic impact on your season. You'd win more than 6 games, but definitely fewer than 10. Bosa and Kittle are another story.

As for Seattle, I'd be honest with my assessment of the team. For example, I think Seattle's recent success is a product of their schedule; we're a 10 win team that won 12 due to an easy schedule. If the 2019 Niners were Seattle, I would be worried that 2019 was a flash in the pan. Why? Because many things broke their way that season, and every other year they've been below .500 for the same reason (injuries). On top of that, you had the 6th easiest schedule that year and were half a yard from losing home-field advantage and the division. All while injuries devasted your two biggest rivals for much of the season; Seattle and LA had almost as many season-ending injuries that year as the Niners this year.

I understand why this might not be music to a Niner's fan's ears, and I hope I am wrong because I like having a rivalry with you. I'm just calling it as I see it. I've never seen a GM and HC get so much respect for having accomplished so little. Think about it, Dan Quinn and Dimitroff had 7 more wins than Shanahan/Lynch going into their 5th season. They had a very similar set of circumstances with injuries and SB success. Both were on the hot seat and fired before their 6th season. Meanwhile, you won't hear a peep from the San Fran media or fans about their duo being fired.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":3cmffzvy said:
Marvin49":3cmffzvy said:

49ers are good at....

So...just for a sec....what do you think would have happened to Seattle, Arizona, or LA in they'd lost their QB for most of the season in 2 of the last three years? I mean really. How would you react to someone who keeps pointing out that the Seahawks were only good for one year out of those 3 and its the one year Wilson played. Wouldn't that sound crazy?
I think you've taken my comment out of context. Who do you rate your roster ahead of? I would argue that the Cardinals have the most talent on paper. I think Seattle, LA, and San Fran are pretty similar, but I give the edge to Seattle at #2 because of continuity and Russ. The 49ers and Rams are a toss-up because of all the question marks surrounding their teams. Keep in mind, I'm not saying Arizona will be the better team. I look at them on paper and think they have the highest upside in the division.

I've mentioned this before, and I'll repeat it. You can't use injuries as an excuse when your GM prioritizes guys known to have injury concerns. Look at the guys Lynch has gone after Verrett, Sherman, Ford, Deeboo, Alexander, Ward, Hurd, etc... were all guys who've dealt with or were coming off severe injuries when signed/drafted/re-signed. It's no secret that your front office targets players who are undervalued because of injuries, so we can't pretend that it's just bad luck when your team deals with injuries in 3 out of 4 seasons.

As for what would happen if Seattle or LA lost their QBs, that's a tough question. I'm in the minority who think the Seahawks wouldn't drop off dramatically without Russ, but they'd definitely win fewer than 10 games. The Rams offense scored fewer points than the 49ers last year. I'm not sure losing Goff would have had a dramatic impact on their record. Here's where we definitely disagree. I think Goff is a better QB than Jimmy G. In other words; I don't think Jimmy G being healthy has a dramatic impact on your season. You'd win more than 6 games, but definitely fewer than 10. Bosa and Kittle are another story.

As for Seattle, I'd be honest with my assessment of the team. For example, I think Seattle's recent success is a product of their schedule; we're a 10 win team that won 12 due to an easy schedule. If the 2019 Niners were Seattle, I would be worried that 2019 was a flash in the pan. Why? Because many things broke their way that season, and every other year they've been below .500 for the same reason (injuries). On top of that, you had the 6th easiest schedule that year and were half a yard from losing home-field advantage and the division. All while injuries devasted your two biggest rivals for much of the season; Seattle and LA had almost as many season-ending injuries that year as the Niners this year.

I understand why this might not be music to a Niner's fan's ears, and I hope I am wrong because I like having a rivalry with you. I'm just calling it as I see it. I've never seen a GM and HC get so much respect for having accomplished so little. Think about it, Dan Quinn and Dimitroff had 7 more wins than Shanahan/Lynch going into their 5th season. They had a very similar set of circumstances with injuries and SB success. Both were on the hot seat and fired before their 6th season. Meanwhile, you won't hear a peep from the San Fran media or fans about their duo being fired.

I mean...I really don't think we can have a reasonable conversation based on the bolded. Lol.

Shanahan with Jimmy: 24-9
Shanahan without Jimmy: 7-26

I mean...

I think you are just ignoring that reality. Thats not so much about Jimmy either. That's about the quantum leap down from Jimmy to Beathard and Mullens.

I won't get into a who is better: Goff vs Garoppolo....mostly because I honestly don't care. :)

As for injuries last year...every team gets injuries. All of them. Its just something you deal with. What happened in SF last year was unprecedented. It aint just about the number of injuries. Its WHO was hurt. More than half of their salary cap spent time on IR last season, including several of their best players (Kittle, Bosa, Deebo). Against GB last year they lost nearly their entire WR room to Covid.

Beyond that. No good team can survive for a season without their QB.

Miss me with sating the Seahawks wouldn't be screwed without Wilson. That's just loony tunes. Seattle would be MORE impacted than SF was without him, not less. Here's the thing tho....you don't know that because it hasn't happened. Pray it never does.

94Smith

Reaction score
knownone":1zcyn8on said:
Marvin49":1zcyn8on said:

49ers are good at....

. All while injuries devasted your two biggest rivals for much of the season; Seattle and LA had almost as many season-ending injuries that year as the Niners this year.

This is the the biggest load of horse XXXX I've ever heard! In 2019 Seattle reported 45 players with injuries and SF reported 45. In 2020 Seattle reported 47 players with injuries and SF jumped to 66! This includes COVID, Q, D, IR

Status
Not open for further replies.