Ask an Eagles fan

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Your team gave what they could. But were really decimated by injuries. I can't believe with all the WR's, TE injured. other injuries you lost your QB right away early in the game. Then you were down to a 40 year old back up QB. Just ridiculous. It was over from there. I can't believe how bad it was for your team. That's really dire straights. But they fought as hard as they could and gave it a shot.

It's best for your team to just use this off season to get fully healthy at all positions. This year was doomed. You can't win that injured. And you continued to get even more injured like at QB. Some years you have bad luck like that. It happens to every team different years. Position yourself for the draft, sign some valuable free agents and most importantly get fully healthy. There is some talent on your team. This was just not their year based on all that went against them.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":jsn2i4tr said:
Your team gave what they could. But were really decimated by injuries. I can't believe with all the WR's, TE injured. other injuries you lost your QB right away early in the game. Then you were down to a 40 year old back up QB. Just ridiculous. It was over from there. I can't believe how bad it was for your team. That's really dire straights. But they fought as hard as they could and gave it a shot.

It's best for your team to just use this off season to get fully healthy at all positions. This year was doomed. You can't win that injured. And you continued to get even more injured like at QB. Some years you have bad luck like that. It happens to every team different years. Position yourself for the draft, sign some valuable free agents and most importantly get fully healthy. There is some talent on your team. This was just not their year based on all that went against them.

Yeah sometimes it's just not your year. I mostly feel bad for Wentz for getting knocked out like that in his literal first playoff game after not being able to last year. The guy is a gamer and I know it's devastating for him (they had to bring his wife to the locker room after breaking the news to him about being out apparently). And the whole "they were better off with McCown" narrative is just silly. He's a great backup and a good mentor/coach but still Wentz has been special this year, especially in the RZ and 4th quarter. It's a shame he couldn't finish it out on his own terms.

But as you said even with Wentz the injuries were ridiculous and even without it the holes in the roster are clear, especially against this Seahawks team. Would having our #1 CB healthy and on Metcalf have made any difference? Darby is a decent player but yeah I don't think so. Would having Malik Jackson have been enough to get pressure on WIlson? Again good (potentially very good) player but I doubt it. Deep threats and mobile QBs are a clear weakness.

The good news at least is that most of our players should be healthy for the start of next year at least and we don't have any major players coming up on a big payday so we should have some money to play around with at least. Go big on WR, DB and pass rush in the draft/offseason and get people healthy (and hope that Dallas hires someone awful for their coach).

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
DEagle7":gqyyu38f said:
Good game last night. So much for an injury-free match but I guess with these 2 teams it was inevitable. You got a star in the making with Metcalf. Good luck going forward.

DEagle7,

Even as a Hawks fan, I'm not going to sit here and say I was completely comfortable with that no call.

And I definitely don't agree with how Clowney handled it afterward calling Philly fans the "worst in the world." That was completely uncalled for, trolling an entire grieving fanbase of a team that put forth probably the best "next man up" effort in football this year. So many other teams would and did call their season early, trading their good pieces, and going into Dolphins mode where fans were OK with losses for picks.

You guys didn't do that. You guys stayed season contenders through yesterday. When McCown came in, I thought, "This is where they give up." After all, McCown had written his goodbyes in the Players Tribune. He still flew back every week to coach his son's HS team. He unlike Brady had accepted Father Time's inevitability instead of descending into an delusion that avocado ice cream and homeopathic woo would keep him 25 forever. No one expected him to keep his team in it through three quarters of a playoff game. I'd be surprised if our QB2 or half the QB2s in the league could have done that well.

I've read bleedinggreen since our last game. And Eagles news through the season. My impression was that of a man who caught the baby "unlike Agolor" and had that WR find him on Twitter to give him and his family tickets. My impression is of a team who let high-schoolers play out their game at the Linc after a school shooting. A team and fans who went through being crushed by the Dolphins--the Dolphins!--and somehow got it together with PSquadders and gumption in the middle of a game where they were being beaten by Eli Manning by almost three scores.

I'm not going to focus on the legality of the Clowney hit here. There's another thread for that. But I think that what Clowney told the media afterward about the fans was beyond insulting. He needs to apologize for saying that, and I hope Pete makes him.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":6jarlhtq said:
DEagle7":6jarlhtq said:
Good game last night. So much for an injury-free match but I guess with these 2 teams it was inevitable. You got a star in the making with Metcalf. Good luck going forward.

DEagle7,

Even as a Hawks fan, I'm not going to sit here and say I was completely comfortable with that no call.

And I definitely don't agree with how Clowney handled it afterward calling Philly fans the "worst in the world." That was completely uncalled for, trolling an entire grieving fanbase of a team that put forth probably the best "next man up" effort in football this year. So many other teams would and did call their season early, trading their good pieces, and going into Dolphins mode where fans were OK with losses for picks.

You guys didn't do that. You guys stayed season contenders through yesterday. When McCown came in, I thought, "This is where they give up." After all, McCown had written his goodbyes in the Players Tribune. He still flew back every week to coach his son's HS team. He unlike Brady had accepted Father Time's inevitability instead of descending into an delusion that avocado ice cream and homeopathic woo would keep him 25 forever. No one expected him to keep his team in it through three quarters of a playoff game. I'd be surprised if our QB2 or half the QB2s in the league could have done that well.

I've read bleedinggreen since our last game. And Eagles news through the season. My impression was that of a man who caught the baby "unlike Agolor" and had that WR find him on Twitter to give him and his family tickets. My impression is of a team who let high-schoolers play out their game at the Linc after a school shooting. A team and fans who went through being crushed by the Dolphins--the Dolphins!--and somehow got it together with PSquadders and gumption in the middle of a game where they were being beaten by Eli Manning by almost three scores.

I'm not going to focus on the legality of the Clowney hit here. There's another thread for that. But I think that what Clowney told the media afterward about the fans was beyond insulting. He needs to apologize for saying that, and I hope Pete makes him.

Thanks man I appreciate it. The players/coaches/staff are a great bunch of guys and I'm proud of what they did this year on and off the field. As I said to the other Eagles fan here there's no use in getting too upset after the fact. Yeah it sucks to hear but the only thing we can do about it at this point is bring it next year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He is one hell of a football coach. Nothing short of amazing what he did with what he had to work with.

droop828

Reaction score
DEagle7":p3n8k1uf said:

You’re a grade a poster and couldn’t have represented your fellow Eagles fans any better than you have here. Your team won’t go thru this anomaly of injuries again next year as it tends to even out over time. You guys will be back in the hunt once again and the Hawks going to Philly again next season will be one of the toughest games on the schedule. You guys are over due to beat Seattle for sure.

OP
OP
D

DEagle7

Reaction score
droop828":26vp5cwa said:
DEagle7":26vp5cwa said:

You’re a grade a poster and couldn’t have represented your fellow Eagles fans any better than you have here. Your team won’t go thru this anomaly of injuries again next year as it tends to even out over time. You guys will be back in the hunt once again and the Hawks going to Philly again next season will be one of the toughest games on the schedule. You guys are over due to beat Seattle for sure.

We'll see about it evening out. Going on 3 years now of bad injury bugs so I certainly hope so. I'll probably hope back on this board before that game.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Geez, now people are jumping on how bad the Philly fanbase is because they're salty. Fellow Hawks fans know damn well that if this had been RW and we lost that this whole board would be full-tilt. No shame in admitting it.

We play them next year. Hopefully they do the same as they did this year. Did anyone here really relish the idea of facing the Cowboys again? Two weeks of Bayliss plus ESPN and NFLN shading on RW while talking about "ooh, should Dak get paid? Will Jason Garrett get fired if he can get beyond the Seahawks?" Do we not hear enough about Dallas as it is? Their fellow division rivals and them alone can keep DAL from being part of the conversation. For this reason alone, we should thank them.

Instead of trying to defend Clowney, a beast of a man, for simpering publicly about death threats that he won't define (which is a p move that 13-yo girls make), maybe we should learn from Philly. Especially with the QB loss.

They had a QB3 in Sunfeld. They paid him all this season, but made him a healthy scratch who wasn't dressed for when McCown started visibly limping. McCown is old, but he also didn't get any No. 1 reps in practice. He wasn't prepared. Who knows what level Sunfeld had.

We should take those lessons for ourselves and do differently for next year. Whether we're going with Geno or a Geno-equivalent or a developmental, I'd like to know they were well practiced.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
As long as you guys keep beating Mericas Tesm I'd be a fan. WR will be in surplus in FA so you guys will for sure surround Wentz with better weapons. Watching Mcowan after the game really humanizes these players. Good luck next year!

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
DEagle7; salutations to you for your sportsmanship, knowledge and enthusiasm. You're a credit to your Philadelphia Eagles. Wishing you MUCH better fortune with injuries next year.