Astros stealing signs

Crizilla

Reaction score
I have no issue with coaches and players stealing signs without technology. Every team tries to do it especially with a man on second base. But it sure looked like Altuve was wearing a device. Crazy

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MLB has got a huge scandal on their hands. More stuff is going to come out.
The players involved need to be suspended for a substantial period of time and the Astros need to have their title stripped.

Looking at and hearing the video, the umpires have to do a better job at putting a stop to the sounds that are un-natural (see banging of garbage can or bat rack).

Maulbert

Reaction score
I read some asshole post on Imgur that it didn't matter that they cheated because they were still the most talented roster. I asked him, "Then why did they need to cheat?" The response I got? "They had to keep up with the other teams cheating."

JFC.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I really wonder if the MLB with do anything significant about this if it truly is a league wide issue.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Guess there is some damning evidence concerning the Redsox as well.. they are next.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Looking at team stats between 2016 and 2017, the Houston batting average for the team jumped from .247 to .282.

That's a pretty big jump IMO.

Edit: That's going from 24th (2016) to 1st (2017) in the league.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":o2ivbysk said:
Hmmmm. Looking at team stats between 2016 and 2017, the Houston batting average for the team jumped from .247 to .282.

Article above says. 035...

So which is it?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2tons54e said:
JGfromtheNW":2tons54e said:

Article above says. 035...

So which is it?

Math is your friend.

.247 + .035 = .282

.035 is huge for a whole team.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Wow I just had a total change of mind. I honestly don't care the "astros were stealing signs" since teams always try to do that its part of the game. Hitters still gotta hit. Hell. give batters an ear piece. I don't care. Defensive players in the NFL can have an ear piece. This whole thing is a joke blown out of proportion by the media (mainly NY and LA fans in the media).

btw Kershaw has always been mediocre in the playoffs. To blame one team "cheating" or not for his struggles is rather silly.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I have four issues with cheating. One, rules are rules and "everyone does it" and "teams/players have been doing it since..." do not make it OK. Two, cheating robs other teams/players who play ethically of potential accomplishments, and in turn, robs the fans, the team's city, and the sport. Three, it tells our youth that cheating is OK if you don't get caught. And four, if the league fails to discipline teams/players who cheat, is there any point to following the sport anymore?

Msfann

Reaction score
Ban every team caught cheating from the postseason for 5 years, hold a cheater draft and the worst teams in the league get to pick their roster apart and the cheating team still has to pay the contracts.

Let's see teams cheat after that.

Passepartout

Reaction score
First it was Houston, now going to Boston, then the NY Mets team. It seems to be only beginning the scandal. Dodgers that played and lost to the World Series to Astros and Red Sox. Deserves to have those titles reinstated!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Passepartout":278fikjh said:
First it was Houston, now going to Boston, then the NY Mets team. It seems to be only beginning the scandal. Dodgers that played and lost to the World Series to Astros and Red Sox. Deserves to have those titles reinstated!
Nope. They didn’t win them. Just vacate the title(s).

Threedee

Reaction score
Crizilla":yiuu0vgl said:
Wow I just had a total change of mind. I honestly don't care the "astros were stealing signs" since teams always try to do that its part of the game. Hitters still gotta hit. Hell. give batters an ear piece. I don't care. Defensive players in the NFL can have an ear piece. This whole thing is a joke blown out of proportion by the media (mainly NY and LA fans in the media).

btw Kershaw has always been mediocre in the playoffs. To blame one team "cheating" or not for his struggles is rather silly.

I think both things can be true. Kershaw clearly blows in the postseason, and the Astros cheated enough to advance farther than they should have, thus stealing two pennants and a WS title.