Carlos Dunlap said he spoke with Russell Wilson before re-si

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":8mvrsjnz said:
Wilson let Carlos know he would be QB this coming season.

That was the most likely scenario to almost any observer. We pretty much expected this.

Will Wilson stay longer? That seems unlikely but then it was shocking that he even chose to do another contract with this team in the first place. It seemed like he was gone for sure as soon as he could be a FA, but he signed that large contract. So it is a mystery.

He probably is lamenting that a bit, because since that time it has been peaks and valleys, with most of the valleys coming in the playoffs.

Wilson has done enough for this team that he probably deserves a chance to show he can be a great QB in the playoffs, but it won't happen here. So we shouldn't begrudge him if he wants a chance to play under an effective gameday coach or a good offensive mind.

Who knows how much better he could be?

But ultimately, if it got us Carlos - then it was a win.

We probably need to just enjoy the time we have left with Wilson, appreciate what a great QB he is, and how he has kept this team relevant since the SB loss. Once Wilson leaves, there is no way this team remains relevant, maybe not even competitive.

But adding guys like Carlos let's us continue the ride for a little while longer.

In all fairness to Russ, he signed that contract before realizing the ownership was going to give a ridiculous 5 year extension to a 70 year old coach. The griping started after the extension. There's only 3 possible scenarios moving forward -

From worst to best-
1. Russ leaves after next season and Carroll stays for duration of extension
2. Russ stays and Pete stays for duration of extension which means team is stuck in current cycle of early playoff exits if they even make the playoffs (what seems to be the chosen path of most fans for some reason)
3. Russ stays and Pete leaves within a couple years and the Hawks try something different while Wilson is still in his prime (my choice)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would love to see #3 just to see if change could get us over the hump.

Understand this could be like getting rid George Karl because you don't advance in the playoffs, only to find out you stop making the playoffs entirely under a new coach. But it is worth the risk because the primary driver for success in the new NFL is the QB, not so much the coach. But a coach can hold a team back or push it over the hump too.

The example is McCarthy and Rodgers.

By all rights, Wilson and Rodgers should be duking it out for divisional wins and trips to the NFC conference games.

That is not what is happening.

Are we going to argue that GB has consistently better rosters than the Seahawks?
No, they even miss the playoffs more than we do.

Is Aaron Rodgers that much better than Wilson?
Not sure I even agree on that one.

Is the coaching in the playoffs set up to maximize the effectiveness of their star QB?
You could certainly argue GB does a better job of that than us, especially when they get there. I don't think I have ever really seen GB get utterly embarrassed in the playoffs....it happens to us almost regularly.

And McCarthy isn't even a great coach. But he knew enough to focus on what he could to make sure his QB could win games for him. Didn't always work but rarely turned into a boatrace like some of our playoff games do.

Who knows what the future brings with Wilson, because it made no sense for him to re-sign with us in the first place.

I will take as many extra years we can get of him and Carlos though, now we just need Clowney.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":31zk4l57 said:
I would love to see #3 just to see if change could get us over the hump.

Understand this could be like getting rid George Karl because you don't advance in the playoffs, only to find out you stop making the playoffs entirely under a new coach. But it is worth the risk because the primary driver for success in the new NFL is the QB, not so much the coach. But a coach can hold a team back or push it over the hump too.

The example is McCarthy and Rodgers.

By all rights, Wilson and Rodgers should be duking it out for divisional wins and trips to the NFC conference games.

That is not what is happening.

Are we going to argue that GB has consistently better rosters than the Seahawks?
No, they even miss the playoffs more than we do.

Is Aaron Rodgers that much better than Wilson?
Not sure I even agree on that one.

Is the coaching in the playoffs set up to maximize the effectiveness of their star QB?
You could certainly argue GB does a better job of that than us, especially when they get there. I don't think I have ever really seen GB get utterly embarrassed in the playoffs....it happens to us almost regularly.

And McCarthy isn't even a great coach. But he knew enough to focus on what he could to make sure his QB could win games for him. Didn't always work but rarely turned into a boatrace like some of our playoff games do.

Who knows what the future brings with Wilson, because it made no sense for him to re-sign with us in the first place.

I will take as many extra years we can get of him and Carlos though, now we just need Clowney.

They fired Carl but Wally and previously Whitsitt were the issues, selling out for Centers either broken, past their prime or just not good.

Getting back to Carroll, his on field philosophy about not adjusting and hoping to keep it close until the 4th quarter is what we have. Once he quits coaching he may still run the Franchise as the President of operations. We don't know what that will mean on the field other then I would bet it would be someone with a like mind set in many ways.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Since Pete Carroll has been the Seahawks head coach, we have had
seven seasons with playoff victories,
two seasons of one-and-done in the playoffs, and
two seasons with no playoff appearances.

I'm not in a hurry to see Pete or Russ go anywhere.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1524pe5t said:

If everything I have been told is correct then you will not have to any time soon.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1adz53jc said:

THREE playoff wins in SIX years.

You don’t give lifetime contracts to Super Bowl winning coaches for EXACTLY this reason.

He has turned into Marty Shottenheimer.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Pete and Russell go, then the Hawks would have to rebuild over in the ground up about. As really without Russell, the Hawks go south with everything.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":zyw66exr said:
BlueTalon":zyw66exr said:

You don’t give lifetime contracts to Super Bowl winning coaches for EXACTLY this reason.

He has turned into Marty Shottenheimer.
Dude, we went 10 years without a playoff *appearance* much less a playoff win. We went 16 consecutive seasons without winning more than 9 games.

Of the 32 teams in the NFL, we have been to a Super Bowl more recently than 22 of them. The Bengals have gone 30 years without a playoff victory. The Lions have gone 63 years without competing in the NFL Championship or Super Bowl.

The NFL is a competitive league, and we're in the most competitive division in the league. The worst in our division was 6-10. 3/4 of our division would have been the best team in the NFC East. This division doesn't just hand you the title because you show up with a good coach and a good roster. You have to be better than them, AND avoid the injuries and bad calls that can cost games.

This is the best time of ANY in Seahawks' history. Many other teams would kill for our success. The only team that has been more successful since 2010 is the New England Patriots, not only did they do it in a crappy division; they also were caught cheating no fewer than 3 times since 2007.

Be thankful for what we have instead of wishing it would go away.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":5k4gitcb said:
TEN playoff wins since he's been here. NINE winning seasons in ELEVEN years. And that's nine CONSECUTIVE winning seasons.

As much as I loved Chuck Knox and Mike Holmgren, I don't want to go back to those versions of Seahawks. I'll take this version.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3ly23crb said:
Dude, we went 10 years without a playoff *appearance* much less a playoff win. We went 16 consecutive seasons without winning more than 9 games.

That was without Wilson. The Hawks have a HOF talent at QB and can hardly make it past the first round of the playoffs. I'll never understand why people are content with that. Instead of worrying about the present, they worry about 30 years ago.

FLSeahawk

Reaction score
2020 12-4
2019 11-5
2018 10-6
2017 9-7

I’d say we’re moving in the right direction. Does it suck losing in the playoffs? Yes it does. Is the front office doing what they think is best to win a ring? Yes they are. Hell they just fired the OC that had 33 wins in 3 seasons and averaged the 8th best offense by points per game over that time because of the lack of playoff wins. All of the FO negativity on here reminds me of a spoiled brat crying about the brand new BMW her parents bought her when she turned 16 because she wanted a Range Rover.

We’re one of the best organizations in the league and I have full confidence that this coaching staff has and this roster will have the talent to make a deep run in the playoffs.

We’re still adding talent, hell we’re not even to the draft yet. You guys need to calm down.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":mur9cm94 said:
KiwiHawk":mur9cm94 said:

That was without Wilson. The Hawks have a HOF talent at QB and can hardly make it past the first round of the playoffs. I'll never understand why people are content with that. Instead of worrying about the present, they worry about 30 years ago.

I don't know anybody that says they're content with it; but I for one do enjoy watching winning seasons week-to-week.

You have no real method of ensuring more wins, and there's nobody in the coaching list that you could guarantee could do better; most would do worse, as they're demonstrating year-in and year-out.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ptkif4bp said:
You have no real method of ensuring more wins, and there's nobody in the coaching list that you could guarantee could do better; most would do worse, as they're demonstrating year-in and year-out.

Of course there's no guarantee, but isnt it worth a shot at this point? The one certainty right now is Carroll is a poor gameday coach that needs superior talent to win and the team is in a pattern of getting thumped once the post season starts. I'm ready to try something new while the team has a talent like Wilson available to them. Most people dont seem to agree, thus being content with the current trend.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":slelkq58 said:
Ad Hawk":slelkq58 said:

Of course there's no guarantee, but isnt it worth a shot at this point? The one certainty right now is Carroll is a poor gameday coach that needs superior talent to win and the team is in a pattern of getting thumped once the post season starts. I'm ready to try something new while the team has a talent like Wilson available to them. Most people dont seem to agree, thus being content with the current trend.

Who's content?

I don't know anyone who's content with losing in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs every year. But unless you have an attractive viable alternative to Pete other than "hey let's just try no more Pete," then I'm out.

For all of Pete's faults, he IS the Hawks right now. So it's not just X's and O's, gameplanning and on field things, if he's gone so goes the culture, the locker room and the attractiveness of playing in Seattle, of which MANY free agents talk about as to why they sign here. Pete.

So sure, I'm all for moving on from Pete if you have a better alternative. But I've witnessed 40 years of JAG coaches GM's and coordinators, so be careful what you wish for. Because the quickest way to slip back into eternal 7-9 mediocrity is to get rid of the most successful coach in franchise history without a VERY specific gameplan of how and who you're replacing him with.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":15w6u5zs said:
Ad Hawk":15w6u5zs said:

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Thus being OK with the current coach means being willing to accept the risk of a loss while accepting he also knows how to create a winning team. Playoff success demands many things including depth, team-culture, health, play-calling, game-day coaching decisions (time-management, etc.), and many other factors. Nobody consistently gets it right (besides the BB and Brady combo, and even that coach requires superior talent as the Cam Newton-led Patriots showed). Every team needs superior talent to win. When has that NOT been the case? Seriously...

You want to move on from Pete, but until you have a better alternative, then no, it isn't "worth a shot." It could put the team back into the Mora days of 4-12 or even worse, consistent seasons of 7-9.

I personally don't watch and enjoy football just for the Super Bowl. I watch it because it's entertaining each week into the darkest part of the year. The Super Bowl is just one more game to win or lose for me in the end, just on a bigger stage. Bragging rights are really worthless. I'd always love a chance to get there, and hope we find a winning solution every year so I can keep watching my favorite team keep playing. But I don't live my life around not getting there or even losing the big game. The pain of SB 49 doesn't linger for me even one little bit.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1c950qz9 said:
pittpnthrs":1c950qz9 said:
Ad Hawk":1c950qz9 said:

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Thus being OK with the current coach means being willing to accept the risk of a loss while accepting he also knows how to create a winning team. Playoff success demands many things including depth, team-culture, health, play-calling, game-day coaching decisions (time-management, etc.), and many other factors. Nobody consistently gets it right (besides the BB and Brady combo, and even that coach requires superior talent as the Cam Newton-led Patriots showed). Every team needs superior talent to win. When has that NOT been the case? Seriously...

You want to move on from Pete, but until you have a better alternative, then no, it isn't "worth a shot." It could put the team back into the Mora days of 4-12 or even worse, consistent seasons of 7-9.

I personally don't watch and enjoy football just for the Super Bowl. I watch it because it's entertaining each week into the darkest part of the year. The Super Bowl is just one more game to win or lose for me in the end, just on a bigger stage. Bragging rights are really worthless. I'd always love a chance to get there, and hope we find a winning solution every year so I can keep watching my favorite team keep playing. But I don't live my life around not getting there or even losing the big game. The pain of SB 49 doesn't linger for me even one little bit.

Past performance does denote a trend, I don't think people would have as much of an issue if the way we lost wasn't pretty much a replay of the previous seasons loss. We do not go for the kill, we come to games tentative and not like we are the predator. We take what we we are given rather then take what we want. We use basically the same game plan with new players. Very easy to game plan against when a team just has to look at what you do year after year and what teams have done to shut it down.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uu80ke0g said:
Who's content?

I don't know anyone who's content with losing in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs every year. But unless you have an attractive viable alternative to Pete other than "hey let's just try no more Pete," then I'm out.

For all of Pete's faults, he IS the Hawks right now. So it's not just X's and O's, gameplanning and on field things, if he's gone so goes the culture, the locker room and the attractiveness of playing in Seattle, of which MANY free agents talk about as to why they sign here. Pete.

So sure, I'm all for moving on from Pete if you have a better alternative. But I've witnessed 40 years of JAG coaches GM's and coordinators, so be careful what you wish for. Because the quickest way to slip back into eternal 7-9 mediocrity is to get rid of the most successful coach in franchise history without a VERY specific gameplan of how and who you're replacing him with.

Who's content? Everybody thats satisfied with the current team and the current trend, coach included. Apparently you seem content with it.

Pete and his culture is great, but the team needs an adaptive, current thinking coach and not a best friend. That great culture isnt equating to getting any closer to a Super Bowl. The team is stuck.

The last point is where people get lost. Wilson is the reason the team is as successful as it is, not Pete. You take away Russ and Seattle is a 7-9 team. Without Wilson Carroll has a sub .500 record in the NFL. What exactly are you looking for when you say an attractive, viable option to Carroll? Somebody you approve of? Wilson guarantees 9 to 10 wins a season. I would take my chances on any younger, creative coach at this point. Face it, Pete is never going to get the team close to the Super Bowl again, thinking otherwise is just being delusional, so why not try somebody new? Yes it could fail, but at least they tried while they still have one of the best QB's in the league. As is, we all know how the season is going to end before it even starts.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":46rba2q2 said:
pittpnthrs":46rba2q2 said:
Ad Hawk":46rba2q2 said:

Past performances does kind of guarantee future results. With Pete's antiquated philosophy and the current team makeup, its not so much accepting a loss, its more about expecting it. Looking at the team, it doesnt appear to be any better than it was last season and they only have 3 picks going into the draft. Why should anybody expect them to do better? Playyoff success has a lot to do with coaching and Pete has been behind the curve for some time now. The Rams were beat to hell with a 4 finngured QB and their best defensive player playing hurt and they still thumped the Hawks. That was purely a better coach taking advantage of an inferior coach.

There is no way possible the team falls to 4-12 with Russell Wilson. Its highly unlikely they would fall to 7-9 unless Russ got hurt.

The Super Bowl is the big prize. It should be the goal every season with Wilson. Anything less than divisional round losses should be considered a failure. The pain of SB49 will always be there for me. So is the 2005 SB loss. Guess i'm just more invested than you, but thats OK. Its why I want changes made.

Jville

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":h43g5e28 said:
Sgt. Largent":h43g5e28 said:
Who's content?

Who's content? Everybody thats satisfied with the current team and the current trend, coach included. Apparently you seem content with it.

Pete and his culture is great, but the team needs an adaptive, current thinking coach and not a best friend. That great culture isnt equating to getting any closer to a Super Bowl. The team is stuck.

The last point is where people get lost. Wilson is the reason the team is as successful as it is, not Pete. You take away Russ and Seattle is a 7-9 team. Without Wilson Carroll has a sub .500 record in the NFL. What exactly are you looking for when you say an attractive, viable option to Carroll? Somebody you approve of? Wilson guarantees 9 to 10 wins a season. I would take my chances on any younger, creative coach at this point. Face it, Pete is never going to get the team close to the Super Bowl again, thinking otherwise is just being delusional, so why not try somebody new? Yes it could fail, but at least they tried while they still have one of the best QB's in the league. As is, we all know how the season is going to end before it even starts.

Well, I think the response falls flat on it's face ................

The prerequisite to success in sports and business is to develop a plan. Ya got to have a plan. Throwing ideas up against a wall just to see what sticks is not a plan. Ya got to have a well thought out plan.

I have no idea why posts can't acknowledge week to week changes driven by changing game plans for different opponents, injury or personnel change. Ignoring so much of what's going on around a chosen favorite is terribly incomplete. It's doesn't come close to addressing team needs or forecasting it's future. Nor does in come remotely close to presenting itself as an objective post.

Continuing with the obvious ......... there are 10 other offensive positions on the field and 11 defensive positions. Plus all those other competitors on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Plus lets not forget the rotating crew of officials.

Sorry, it's just not an objective or informative post. :229031_shrug:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have Pete. We are stuck with him.

But the defense right now is stuck with the Appeal to Authority because he has nothing else to offer.

Pete has done nothing but fall short of expectations since his SB loss.

Since that moment, he has never once exceeded expectations, but for winning the division last year...which was actually falling short of expectations given our performance in the playoffs. And even winning the division was more the other teams stumbling than us taking any steps forward.

The argument that we really have made the playoffs regularly as a consequence of Wilson's play, not Pete's coaching is hard to refute. Once Wilson leaves and Pete regularly misses the playoffs it will become canon.

But either way, we have Pete - so there is little we can do but deal with it and hope that the team can somehow play well enough to overcome Pete's poor gameday coaching and terrible decisioning with coordinators.

It isn't changing.