Fire Pete!!! Anyone down?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
JustTheTip":2dx3jnoi said:
Mad Dog":2dx3jnoi said:
JustTheTip":2dx3jnoi said:
Could just as easily be 2-4 or even 1-5 with the way the games have gone.

Pete consistently wastes quarters and halves of football games. He consistently makes poor decisions on both what he does challenge and what he doesn't. He consistently makes very poor time management decisions. He consistently gets out game planned.

Today they had 4 turnovers to 1 (2 of which were very lucky) and a blocked punt, yet still only managed to win by 4.

And yet we are 5-1 due to our ongoing ability to play well into the 4th quarter.

What you consider wasting quarters I call advanced intel so come the 4th quarter you know how to defend and attack them.

Advanced intel? That the other team can defend predictable play-calling fairly well on a consistent basis? Should take one or two quarters in a career to gather that intel, not one or two quarters a game. Was actually surprised at their play-calling on offense out of the gate today. But it didn't take them long to settle into the same patterns we have seen for the last decade. This is a game the Seahawks had a decent chance at putting away by the end of the 3rd quarter, and yet it came down to the last two minutes.

You say that as if solving teams is magically easy. I think you don't understand how tough football is when you are trying to win with second tier talent and a short QB.

This Seahawks team is 5-1 with few pro bowlers and a bunch of JAGs and now you are suggesting that the coaching is second rate as well. Do you think that its even possible that a poorly coached low talent team can be 5-1?

Your complaints don't meet the smell test.

getnasty

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1ay06f36 said:
getnasty":1ay06f36 said:
JustTheTip":1ay06f36 said:
mikeak":1ay06f36 said:
I think people forget all the good things Pete does behind the scenes which allows for bad decisions on the field and still winning.

My point is clearly Pete does more good than bad as we are winning, but that doesnt mean there isn't room for improvement during games su h as when to go for it, playcalling etc.

No, I don't forget about that. It doesn't mean he belongs on the sidelines calling the shots on gamedays. Elevate his front office position and get somebody capable of evolving with the NFL and his players on the sideline.

Year of The Hawk":1ay06f36 said:
You may not like the way he wins but he wins. I will take it.

Until he doesn't. Like when the team is clawing for a chance for a wild card spot because of games that got dropped at the beginning of the year.

Like Freedie Kitchens, Adam Gase, or any of the 100 other heads coaches that have been canned in the NFL since Pete took over. There's more to coaching then drawing plays and throwing a challange flag. I find it crazy that people actaully reply to this topic in a serious fashion.

I find it crazy that people just discard Pete's obvious on worsening flaws without consideration.

Name a head coach without flaws? Pete has fewer then most and he more then makes up for them by being so good at other aspects of coaching.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Mad Dog":mrrn2t7w said:
JustTheTip":mrrn2t7w said:
Mad Dog":mrrn2t7w said:
JustTheTip":mrrn2t7w said:

Pete consistently wastes quarters and halves of football games. He consistently makes poor decisions on both what he does challenge and what he doesn't. He consistently makes very poor time management decisions. He consistently gets out game planned.

Today they had 4 turnovers to 1 (2 of which were very lucky) and a blocked punt, yet still only managed to win by 4.

And yet we are 5-1 due to our ongoing ability to play well into the 4th quarter.

What you consider wasting quarters I call advanced intel so come the 4th quarter you know how to defend and attack them.

Advanced intel? That the other team can defend predictable play-calling fairly well on a consistent basis? Should take one or two quarters in a career to gather that intel, not one or two quarters a game. Was actually surprised at their play-calling on offense out of the gate today. But it didn't take them long to settle into the same patterns we have seen for the last decade. This is a game the Seahawks had a decent chance at putting away by the end of the 3rd quarter, and yet it came down to the last two minutes.

You say that as if solving teams is magically easy. I think you don't understand how tough football is when you are trying to win with second tier talent and a short QB.

This Seahawks team is 5-1 with few pro bowlers and a bunch of JAGs and now you are suggesting that the coaching is second rate as well. Do you think that its even possible that a poorly coached low talent team can be 5-1?

Your complaints don't meet the smell test.

Lol, look at you creating a narrative. Short QB? You mean the one who probably tops the early MVP list after this week? The one that has carried this team for years and probably should have one or two MVP titles and rookie of the year already? The QB that does a good job mitigating poor to questionable offensive lines over and over?

Lack of talent? Questionable OL, Questionable secondary but slightly above average to well above average everywhere else. Even if that talent is lacking, who is that on?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
JustTheTip":uunbocoi said:

This has been going on for years, we have been on the bad break end of many of those early-season contests. The fact that the team is 5-1 is HUGE as the season progresses. Every contender in the division has had to suffer entire failures for 4-5 seasons and even more in the Rams case before they improved after rebuild. The Seahawks? Since RW we are talking about one 9-7 season that was riddled with injuries.

olyfan63

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1kml0bx3 said:
getnasty":1kml0bx3 said:
Like Freedie Kitchens, Adam Gase, or any of the 100 other heads coaches that have been canned in the NFL since Pete took over. There's more to coaching then drawing plays and throwing a challange flag. I find it crazy that people actaully reply to this topic in a serious fashion.

I find it crazy that people just discard Pete's obvious on worsening flaws without consideration.

I find it crazy that people
* Overlook all the ways Pete has evolved and changed and improved during his coaching career, including his years with the Seahawks, and continue to push tired negative narratives not supported by results.
* Think there is some shiny new object coach/GM combo out there that would result in a better team that would regularly steamroll the opponents, ignoring the fact there are a lot of other smart coaches, talented players, and capable organizations out there that are also trying to win games, including beating the Seahawks.
* Overlook Pete's gift for winning Freakin Ugly, fugly games. Any bozo coach can lose fugly, it takes a special talent to win fugly. (Chuck Knox had some of that gift as well, but Carroll is the MASTER)
* Complain about Pete's perceived failings, completely ignoring all the good stuff Pete creates and does.

That said, it's fair to criticize Pete's failings. IMO, Pete's biggest failing as a Seahawk has been excessive loyalty to underperforming assistant coaches, e.g., Cable and Bevell. Will Norton get this Hawks D group rocking and rolling as an elite defense? Well, he will certainly get a fair shot from Pete.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1h9k29b5 said:
JustTheTip":1h9k29b5 said:

This has been going on for years, we have been on the bad break end of many of those early-season contests. The fact that the team is 5-1 is HUGE as the season progresses. Every contender in the division has had to suffer entire failures for 4-5 seasons and even more in the Rams case before they improved after rebuild. The Seahawks? Since RW we are talking about one 9-7 season that was riddled with injuries.
And a kicker that directly cost us 2 games and possibly a third.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
olyfan63":38e8ki9j said:
JustTheTip":38e8ki9j said:
getnasty":38e8ki9j said:

* Overlook all the ways Pete has evolved and changed and improved during his coaching career, including his years with the Seahawks, and continue to push tired negative narratives not supported by results.
* Think there is some shiny new object coach/GM combo out there that would result in a better team that would regularly steamroll the opponents, ignoring the fact there are a lot of other smart coaches, talented players, and capable organizations out there that are also trying to win games, including beating the Seahawks.
* Overlook Pete's gift for winning Freakin Ugly, fugly games. Any bozo coach can lose fugly, it takes a special talent to win fugly. (Chuck Knox had some of that gift as well, but Carroll is the MASTER)
* Complain about Pete's perceived failings, completely ignoring all the good stuff Pete creates and does.

That said, it's fair to criticize Pete's failings. IMO, Pete's biggest failing as a Seahawk has been excessive loyalty to underperforming assistant coaches, e.g., Cable and Bevell. Will Norton get this Hawks D group rocking and rolling as an elite defense? Well, he will certainly get a fair shot from Pete.
Brian Scheider should be included with Cable and Bevell imo

JustTheTip

Reaction score
olyfan63":l980yk8k said:
JustTheTip":l980yk8k said:
getnasty":l980yk8k said:

I disagree with your first bullet point. Yes, he has evolved quite a bit over his coaching career but not in the ways that are important over the last 4 or 5.

I don't think there is necessarily a better combo waiting in the wings. I know it isn't that easy. But that is like an airline saying "Hey let us keep the 60-year-old pilot who has continually and severely bounced landings over the last 5 years because he hasn't crashed one yet and we don't know what the new highly qualified guy will do at our company." Am I spoiled but the success we had the first few years he was here? Probably, but I also don't like seeing talent wasted and that has happened way too often over the last 5 years.

He is also the master out of creating fugly out of should wins.

I am not saying to ignore what Pete creates and does. I am saying he is past his prime for being on the sidelines. I would really like to see him stay in the front office while giving up the sideline gig, if he can manage not to mettle too much in whatever the next guy is trying to do.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":28ao1qoq said:
loafoftatupu":28ao1qoq said:
JustTheTip":28ao1qoq said:

And Pete had nothing to do with that kicker being on the team. Or a washed up kicker instead of Meyers a year later?

getnasty

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1pk3d98j said:
hawksfansinceday1":1pk3d98j said:
loafoftatupu":1pk3d98j said:
JustTheTip":1pk3d98j said:

And Pete had nothing to do with that kicker being on the team. Or a washed up kicker instead of Meyers a year later?

Pete gets full credit for the crap shoot that is NFL kickers but no credit for anything else? Come on bro.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
getnasty":2k24npmw said:
JustTheTip":2k24npmw said:
hawksfansinceday1":2k24npmw said:
loafoftatupu":2k24npmw said:

Pete gets full credit for the crap shoot that is NFL kickers but no credit for anything else? Come on bro.
I didn't say full credit. Nor did I ever say it doesn't deserve credit for any of the good he does. Come on bro.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
getnasty":mtc9ffxt said:
JustTheTip":mtc9ffxt said:
hawksfansinceday1":mtc9ffxt said:
loafoftatupu":mtc9ffxt said:

I was in no way trying to infer that Pete didn't have everything to do with Walsh and letting Hauschka go. I was just reminding loafoftatupu that the team was 9-7 despite Walsh costing the Hawks 2 wins.........bro. You're so strident in your stance that Pete needs to go that you can't see past it to an innocent remark to another poster that was neither defending nor crucifying Pete.......bro.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3hzp6u4k said:
getnasty":3hzp6u4k said:
JustTheTip":3hzp6u4k said:
hawksfansinceday1":3hzp6u4k said:

I was in no way trying to infer that Pete didn't have everything to do with Walsh and letting Hauschka go. I was just reminding loafoftatupu that the team was 9-7 despite Walsh costing the Hawks 2 wins.........bro. You're so lost in your stance that Pete needs to go that you can't see past it to an innocent remark to another poster.......bro.

As far as I can tell he was trying to bag on me with that statement.

Edit: unless you were referring to my portion of the quote and accidentally took his as well, in which case carry on.

kf3339

Reaction score
It was a 4 point margin of victory, and we won!

Who didn't see that coming?

It's like some people on this board have "NEVER' seen a PC coached game in their life! Unreal.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
kf3339":2ke4cei2 said:

It's like some people on this board have "NEVER' seen a PC coached game in their life! Unreal.

More like some of us are really tired of watching PC coached games and their relation to the definition of insanity. Or maybe I am just already insane.

chris98251

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1a1exngi said:
kf3339":1a1exngi said:

More like some of us are really tired of watching PC coached games and their relation to the definition of insanity. Or maybe I am just already insane.

There is a easy fix for that, go watch old games with Mora and Flores.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JustTheTip":37hocyx3 said:

That's not how sports work.

And if he was constantly outcoached or gameplanned then they wouldn't be 5-1.

justafan

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is to pick apart what somebody accomplishes. But thats what negative people do. I never thought i would see Seattle football have a stretch of success like we are having now. I can accept his faults because he gets this team ready for a dogfight every game and they never quit.

You can enjoy the positives or be miserable and pick out other peoples faults its your choice.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
chris98251":39a1vdby said:
JustTheTip":39a1vdby said:
kf3339":39a1vdby said:

There is a easy fix for that, go watch old games with Mora and Flores.

No thanks, watching them in real-time (for some of Florres I had season tickets) was bad enough. Saying we shouldn't contemplate a coaching now simply because of then is a bit ridiculous though.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Uncle Si":wueggprz said:
JustTheTip":wueggprz said:

That's not how sports work.

And if he was constantly outcoached or gameplanned then they wouldn't be 5-1.

I disagree. If he wasn't outcoached I would be more comfortable with the 5-1 record and wouldn't be able to say could just as easily be 2-4 or even 1-5. In hindsight, does beating the Bengals at home by 1 really sound like a well-coached game to you?

How about losing to the Saints 33-27 at home? Yes, I understand they have been winning without Brees, but not putting up 33 points (or anything close to that except against the Bucs) a game.