Firmly believe Pete behind Russell's Struggles

BASF

Reaction score
Individual and team production mean nothing except for more money on incentives. The only thing that actually matters is winning the games. When Russ was "cooking" we lost several because of his turnovers. In the end we once again have a twelve win season because Pete handles his business. People keep harping on the last few seasons as failures of the offense. The defense is the one responsible for giving up four or more touchdowns in all but one of those playoff games.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1peqga3y said:
Mahomes is playing better football than Wilson. Going farther in the playoffs. And will likely go farther this year.

Nobody outside of Seattle would put Wilson over Mahomes. Likely a fifth of our fans would not.

Ranking Wilson over Mahomes takes a lot of mental gymnastics. Maybe Wilson is the better QB.

But Wilson+Carroll < Mahomes+Reid by almost any measure in the past few years.

And there is little chance that Wilson+Carroll goes farther in the playoffs than Mahomes+Reid. Almost zero.

Maybe Wilson COULD be a better QB than Mahomes under another coach. But this year, Mahomes in his system is better than Wilson in his. Not even sure what you could dispute about that.

Chiefs go further in playoffs. Not just mahomes. Plus, it's been the last two seasons to where we are seeing the chiefs take a step back. I dont care if the starters on the chiefs sat yesterday. Teams have figured out mahomes defensively. The problem is he has many other weapons to use. Again, the chiefs are in the playoffs. Not just mahomes and the chiefs have shown they are beatable in several games this year. Look it up. The have the most wins this season of less than 4 points. Teams are playing them really well.

I will go with you on the russ is a better team qb than individual. Still, in the end we will see who isntruely better. Just like two years ago...when we were the only team to shut down the chiefs offense powerhouse.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
In my eyes, it's the lack of an elite scheme, like KC and GB have. They scheme guys open and both QB's have a good amount of easy throws throughout a game. You shouldn't have to rely on a QB constantly threading the needle and him making magic out of broken plays. That's not a formula for winning a title. Hopefully Schotty has just enough tricks in his sleeve for the playoffs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Was Pete also behind Russell's struggles mid season when he turned the ball over 10 times in five games?

I know everyone fell in love with Let Russ Cook Russell, but that's not sustainable once defenses (good defenses) figured out what Russell and the offense was doing.

I'm not crazy about how the offense is playing either, but I DEFINITELY like this version of the Hawks with a much better defense and a balanced offense that can crank it up when they need to in the playoffs.

Then an offense that relies on it's QB to have to score 30+ points a game because the defense is so terrible. Not sure how that's a good recipe for success in January.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
iigakusei":2on0972g said:
https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1346104452684664833

That's nice. Now look up who was sacked and pressured most this season. I wont pay attention to anything that has QBs above wilson who played far less games to compare to. I.E. PRESCOTT. Not that Prescott, cousins or fitz magic are bad, but you are comparing efficiency ratings with stats that dont even matter.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I agree with this, however I will note during the stretch Russell has his interceptions, he was literally also trying to make up for the deficiency we had on Defense during that time.

I feel IMO Russ and the defense are at a stage where they could be balanced but “Pete Ball” doesn’t allow that. He wants the game on the defense.

I think the first 5 games were a sign of what’s Wilson’s capable of, then the series of Interceptions were signs of, when you ask Wilson TOO do to much .. like making up on the offensive side of the ball because the DC and defense are out to lunch, and the last few games have been a sign of, “Pete Ball” and Defense “wins” games

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3cwrvcg6 said:
Was Pete also behind Russell's struggles mid season when he turned the ball over 10 times in five games?

I know everyone fell in love with Let Russ Cook Russell, but that's not sustainable once defenses (good defenses) figured out what Russell and the offense was doing.

I'm not crazy about how the offense is playing either, but I DEFINITELY like this version of the Hawks with a much better defense and a balanced offense that can crank it up when they need to in the playoffs.

Then an offense that relies on it's QB to have to score 30+ points a game because the defense is so terrible. Not sure how that's a good recipe for success in January.
If Wilson struggled against the Giants, Jets, Washington, Rams, Niners, Arizona, Eagles, and Bills, suffice it to say, that just means, it isn’t going to get any easier.

Wilson will most likely struggle in playoffs as well and Seattle will struggle to run the ball.

It doesn’t get any easier on defense, fellas.

It doesn’t matter if Wilson is struggling.

If he’s struggling, all it means is he is not good enough.

Can you honestly say you are 100 percent comfortable with this offense moving forward?

Wilson may not even be a Top 5 QB right now in playoffs:

1. Rodgers
2. Mahomes
3. Allen
4. Jackson
5. Brady

The way Wilson has been struggling, consistently, late in the seasons, he’s not even Top 5 in my rankings right now.

Wilson better get better quickly cause yeah, after a while, blaming coaches become tiresome, Wilson needs to put his football distractions to the side and get better, because it does NOT get easier!

Win or go home!

Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey are coming for Wilson!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, heard all that before. Right before yet ANOTHER win.
And I also heard that the Rams were gonna' come in angry and stomp the Hawks.
Nope.

renofox

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1icg767m said:
Sgt. Largent":1icg767m said:

If Wilson struggled against the Giants, Jets, Washington, Rams, Niners, Arizona, Eagles, and Bills, suffice it to say, that just means, it isn’t going to get any easier.

Wilson will most likely struggle in playoffs as well and Seattle will struggle to run the ball.

Can you honestly say you are 100 percent comfortable with this offense moving forward?

1. Rodgers
2. Mahomes
3. Allen
4. Jackson
5. Brady

The way Wilson has been struggling, consistently, late in the seasons, he’s not even Top 5 in my rankings right now.

Wilson better get better quickly cause yeah, after a while, blaming coaches become tiresome, Wilson needs to put his football distractions to the side and get better, because it does NOT get easier!

Win or go home!

:ditto:

RW is capable of playing better than any of your top 5, but his inconsistency is maddening.

He is playing good enough right now, if good enough means not hurting the team and doing just enough to win games.

However, good enough in regular season games is not good enough in playoff games.

We all know he has the ability to play much better than he has been. The question is, will he be able to turn it up for the playoffs? I think he will.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
JPatera76":1c7z6ep1 said:
I agree with this, however I will note during the stretch Russell has his interceptions, he was literally also trying to make up for the deficiency we had on Defense during that time.

I feel IMO Russ and the defense are at a stage where they could be balanced but “Pete Ball” doesn’t allow that. He wants the game on the defense.

I think the first 5 games were a sign of what’s Wilson’s capable of, then the series of Interceptions were signs of, when you ask Wilson TOO do to much .. like making up on the offensive side of the ball because the DC and defense are out to lunch, and the last few games have been a sign of, “Pete Ball” and Defense “wins” games

I agree. Hmmm

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2fm6zgzf said:

See I think this is who Russell is, a top 5 and at times falls off to more of a top 10 QB.

I never bought into the let Russ cook Russell of the first five games, I knew that had more to do with a VERY polished and experienced offense being way ahead of average to below average defenses that had ZERO time to practice and prepare because of covid.

Far more than some conscious change of offensive philosophy, or Russell all of a sudden turning on a superhero switch.

I love Russell, I'm glad he's our franchise QB for the next 10 years on his way to the Hall of Fame. But this is who he is, a smart prepared elusive and clutch QB that can manage a game and run around and make explosive plays when you need him too.

So he and others can tell us all they want about how he wants to be the greatest QB of all time and win MVP's every year, but IMO that's probably never going to happen, because he's not Aaron Rodgers, he's not Drew Brees, he's not Tom Brady in his prime. Guys that can carry the load game in, game out, year in, year out.

He needs that run game and defense, and the good news is he has that now.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2ym9jf5d said:
Sgt. Largent":2ym9jf5d said:

* I dont know but alotted tip passes and batted balls equal interceptions too. Plus bad snaps and handoff exchanges. Oh did I mention drop balls by the recievers olsen comes to mind. You are right though pete isnt to blame, but nearly is Wilson exclusively.*

*Agree.*

*Saying wilson struggled all by himself would be pointless for a team game.*

They dont seem to struggle when they need to win. Aside the giants game.

*Ok really.*

*Yes. Yes I can. Because when they need to win, whether it in the fourth quarter or 1st...its always close. *

1. Rodgers
2. Mahomes
3. Allen
4. Jackson
5. Brady

*Good thing your rankings don't matter. That would be like saying everything i say is better than what you say.*

Win or go home!

*Oh no...donald and Ramsey. Didnt they lose like two weeks ago? To some team...cant remember the team name...help me out.*

It's clear you favor other teams claims on Twitter to your own team.

tersal

Reaction score
Give it a break.
Wilson's year

YEAR G ATT COMP PCT YDS AVG LNG TD INT 1st 1st% 20+ SCK SCKY RATE
2020 16 558 384 68.82 4212 7.6 62 40 13 213 38.17 45 47 301 105.1

I do not see the problem especially considering a mediocre pass protection on the Offensive line. (the teams most significant weakness right now.)

The early season explosion passing was due to the defenses they played. Was not sustainable considering the last three weeks defenses were all top ten. 40 td's against 13 interceptions is darn good by any standard. Worth 140 million over 4 years.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wtswe3d said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2wtswe3d said:

See I think this is who Russell is, a top 5 and at times falls off to more of a top 10 QB.

I never bought into the let Russ cook Russell of the first five games, I knew that had more to do with a VERY polished and experienced offense being way ahead of average to below average defenses that had ZERO time to practice and prepare because of covid.

Far more than some conscious change of offensive philosophy, or Russell all of a sudden turning on a superhero switch.

I love Russell, I'm glad he's our franchise QB for the next 10 years on his way to the Hall of Fame. But this is who he is, a smart prepared elusive and clutch QB that can manage a game and run around and make explosive plays when you need him too.

So he and others can tell us all they want about how he wants to be the greatest QB of all time and win MVP's every year, but IMO that's probably never going to happen, because he's not Aaron Rodgeurs, he's not Drew Brees, he's not Tom Brady in his prime. Guys that can carry the load game in, game out, year in, year out.

Holy shit...I've never seen so much constant build up of a person to just tear him down.

The ******* hate is strong here. You would think someone with the name largent in it would respect his players more then those of other teams.

I'm sorry guys, but the ******* expectations of some of you who probably work desk jobs, barely loving life and go around hating on others is severely overrated. Tired as some of you may say.

Hot dam...you would think we were 6-10 this year and sitting out.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Russ has been playing tentative lately. Anyone not wearing "Russ-colored" glasses can see this. There is no rhythm for Russ to get in the zone. They are not necessarily running the ball more. They're just not in rhythm in the passing game, and the playground style ball hasn't been as effective this season. Most of this is on Russ for not being sharp on gameday, some of it is on Shotty's play calls, and a little bit of it is on Pete over-correcting, and making sure Russ protects the ball.

3rd down is especially a problem. Earlier this season when Russ was cooking, they converted a lot on 1st and 2nd down, eliminating 3rd down altogether - when defenses can pin their ears back, knowing it is likely a pass play. They also try to go for deep shots on 3rd when all they need is a couple of yards... these plays usually end up in sacks. This is on Shotty for not having better calls on 3rd down... Having a reliable 3rd down target like Olsen, Gordon or Baldwin would help too. I would not say Moore or DK is a reliable 3rd down target... yet.

On 4th quarter comebacks, Russ uses his legs to move the chains a lot. He doesn't really do this on quarters 1-3. Also defenses are usually gassed by then, so it is easier to have 4th quarter comebacks. The 4th quarter comeback strategy might work against low-scoring teams like 9ers and Rams, but it won't work against teams like NO and GB.

Russ will need to cook, and protect the football at the same time in quarters 1-3 to make it back to the SB. Can this be done? Remains to be seen.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1iugr3qr said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1iugr3qr said:

So he and others can tell us all they want about how he wants to be the greatest QB of all time and win MVP's every year, but IMO that's probably never going to happen, because he's not Aaron Rodgers, he's not Drew Brees, he's not Tom Brady in his prime. Guys that can carry the load game in, game out, year in, year out.

Well at least we are under no illusions that you don't put your feelings and bias first, ahead of facts.

Russ can make every throw. The first 5-6 weeks of the season was indicative of great O-line protection (which is what Rodgers, Brees, etc. gets), and him making pin point accurate throws.

The actual FACTS, shows that Seattle was passing on neutral downs more compared to past years. In fact, even with a decent running game we are still statistically a pass first team. The running game has only been dominant in ONE game, the Washington game. And in that game, Russ accounted for over 40 of those yards.

Also, can you name ONE great QB who has gone far without a running game or defense. Name one, since you're not at all biased. You can't possibly love Russell if you also have an agenda to ignore any and all objective facts that contradict your point.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
tersal":218fyp6k said:
Give it a break.
Wilson's year

YEAR G ATT COMP PCT YDS AVG LNG TD INT 1st 1st% 20+ SCK SCKY RATE
2020 16 558 384 68.82 4212 7.6 62 40 13 213 38.17 45 47 301 105.1

I do not see the problem especially considering a mediocre pass protection on the Offensive line. (the teams most significant weakness right now.)

The early season explosion passing was due to the defenses they played. Was not sustainable considering the last three weeks defenses were all top ten. 40 td's against 13 interceptions is darn good by any standard. Worth 140 million over 4 years.

Yes sir!!!