Gonzaga BB 2019-20 Thread

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Good win, some questionable calls kept Oregon in it at the end to send it to over time. Zags have a lot of guys injured right now so to play through it and get the win is a real testament to the team. Wish Anton was able to play right now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Damned good Thanksgiving, a Zags win against the Ducks and a Dallas loss. Only thing that would've made it great was a Falcons win over NO to help the Hawks with seeding.

Gonzaga gutted out a tough win. Gave up way too many offensive rebounds to a shorter team (18 I believe I read). I was shouting "For the love of God rebound the basketball" at the TV on quite a number of occasions. Likely a product of fatigue due to injuries thinning the roster/limiting playing time and other guys playing too many minutes. Got a less than super confident feeling about the Michigan game because of the fatigue factor but have no doubt they'll be in it til the end.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Michigan sure looked good against UNC I will be very impressed if they win the championship. This team has been much better than I thought they would be. Especially with Tillie so limited, Ballo not being permitted to play, and Anton being injured.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags look tired. Especially Petrusev, he has been awful, missing easy buckets right under the basket.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Horrible first half, way too many turnovers including 4 possessions in a row late in the half, missing easy shots, giving up offensive rebounds. 7 man rotation playing their 3rd game in about 40 hours ain't helping. Petrusev looks poor against players his size which is not encouraging for the Big Dance.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
If Few gets this team to the Sweet 16 to keep the string of the most Sweet 16s in a row of any school in the country going it'll be his best coaching job ever.

Crizilla

Reaction score
No clue how Michigan isn't ranked (they will be now). They looked like a Top 10 team during this Atlantis tourney. I'm concerned with Zags guard play....we'll really see how good they are when they play Mike Hopkin's zone in about a week.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Their guard play is terrible minus Kispert. Woolridge doesn't belong. He is tenative, a poor shot, and can't make free throws. Post players are young and weak but will obviously improve as the season progresses. They probably will win their division and get knocked out in the second round.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Zags will be fortunate to go 1-2 in the upcoming stretch of at UW, at Arizona, home vs. North Carolina. 0-3 wold not surprise me. They can't shoot the 3 much at all, give up way too many offensive rebounds, guard defense is not good and go through very sloppy stretches. Oh, and the free throw shooting has droughts too.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":26r5rkpx said:
How many years before Gonzaga beats UW again?
So let's see you posted this on May 2nd and Gonzaga beat them on December 8th so that's 7 months and 6 days by my calculations. So the answer to your question of how many years till Gonzaga beat the Huskies again would be zero. Okay I'll be nice, a half a year.

Just a reminder, Zags have beaten UW 6 in a row and 13 out of 14.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I have a pretty good feeling Zags are healing up and have a good shot on the road tonight. Wish I could watch it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
16 point lead with like 5 mins left turned into a 2 point lead with 1.8 seconds left. Free throw shooting was again extremely poor which allowed AZ to catch up. FINALLY Woolridge hit 2 at that point to end it.

I want North Carolina so badly.....but unfortunately Tillie turned an ankle so guessing he won't be 100%. Not surprisingly they aren't the same team when he's not on the floor.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Tillie and Anton injured again. Not sure this team will ever be fully healthy. Final score was misleading. Zags had some silly play down the stretch to make it a much closer score than it should have been. Free throw shooting is an achilles heel this year for sure.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Natethegreat":pgm01fis said:
Tillie and Anton injured again. Not sure this team will ever be fully healthy......
Agree. The sad thing is that Killien Tillie has the skillset to play the 3 in the NBA at 6'10" and be an all-star.

And their lead was at 15 with 2:12 left. Fracking free throw shooting man.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It's strange to me how they keep winning despite being less talented than last year, clearly flawed and hurt.

I mean ---- Joel Ayayi might be their best player right now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
They win because they play team offense, passing the ball for the best possible shot on most possessions, and because they work to play good D on every possession. Now about that defensive rebounding........They're a good shooting team as well and Ayayi has made a big difference, especially from behind the arc.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Zags have a chance in this wide open field. I don't see a "dominant" team in college hoops landscape. Hopefully its the zags. Cant wait to be in K2 vs NC.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":zkflqhn0 said:
Zags have a chance in this wide open field. I don't see a "dominant" team in college hoops landscape. Hopefully its the zags. Cant wait to be in K2 vs NC.
It would be incredible. They will have to improve on their FT shooting to get further than the Sweet 16 imo.