Russ regressing

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
onepicknick1":2bpaz93i said:
Seymour":2bpaz93i said:
HawkerD":2bpaz93i said:
After watching a couple of weekends of playoff football it is becoming obvious that Russ is regressing and is no longer a top 5 QB and maybe out of the top 10......

Go back and watch the first 6-7 games. He didn't just lose talent one week! :177692:

The high turnover rate and Pete getting pissed off and saying "I don't even recognise this offense" put the question of doubt in his mind and had him 2nd guessing to the point of failure.

There is a very fine line in the NFL between risk, reward, and over caution to the point of failure.

Definitely right but have they ever gave Russ the the help to take it to the next level? I don't think he's regressing I think he's playing the same ball he has for the pass 4 years, Take a look at the way the QB's are getting the ball to their receivers Russ seems to have to have them wide open instead of a step on the receiver is open. I hope they get him some coaching this year because it seems they just count on his raw talent.

RE: Have they ever given Russ help? We have plenty of talent out wide for essentially any kind of game we would want to play. I heard people all year talking about our level of WR play; we also have TEs that are good blockers and can catch 5 passes per game, we have two RBs that have both been 1000-yd rushers and are still in their highly productive years, and an improved OLine. We have what we need to score enough points wo win football games, even against top defenses.

I agree with everything else you're saying.

This is between the coaches and Russell- not his supporting cast, IMO.

While I don't necessarily agree with the OP that he is regressing...I absolutely believe that he is playing at basically the same level overall that he has all of his career. He hasn't ever taken that big next step that we were all thinking he would by this point. He came into the league as one of the most efficient passers, and he still is. But he's shown very little growth. His stats are driven by how much he throws the ball, not by the fact that he's just a much-improved QB. His per-pass-attempt stats have been essentially stagnant since 2012.

Which, in the grand scheme of things, is still ok...he is still in the 4-8 range overall, which should be enough to make a Super Bowl run. BUT...the league is far different now than it was in 2013. Russell, Kaep, Cam...ushered in a new QB style, which- along with league rules- has allowed NFL offenses overall to become much more creative and dynamic.

I'm not sure we have what it takes to beat the likes of KC or Buffalo without an absolute stellar defense.

Which brings everything full circle back to the first time we won the Superb Owl.

Elemas

Reaction score
Seymour":3ussrsee said:
HawkerD":3ussrsee said:
After watching a couple of weekends of playoff football it is becoming obvious that Russ is regressing and is no longer a top 5 QB and maybe out of the top 10......

Go back and watch the first 6-7 games. He didn't just lose talent one week! :177692:

The high turnover rate and Pete getting pissed off and saying "I don't even recognise this offense" put the question of doubt in his mind and had him 2nd guessing to the point of failure.

There is a very fine line in the NFL between risk, reward, and over caution to the point of failure.

Agree with this. You dont lose your abilities in that short a time period. Even over the course of a whole season.

I do believe RW would've been on a tear had we kept our playcalling the same. That was a major change!! But, like any professional, he'll have to adapt. It's obvious that didn't happen over the last half of the season.

You don't go from MVP candidate to out of the top 10.

He did play like shit in more games than I can remember but, this is Russell Wilson. He'll figure it out.

I don't agree with "Pete Ball". I'm on the other side where I'd like us to win 35-20 rather than 3-0 as I feel the rules have changed to the point where the NFL desires them...higher scoring games.

But, I'm not the Seahawks coach and if I'm Russell Wilson, I have to adapt and be my best that's within the boundaries set before me.

THAT...didn't happen.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
A feeling that Russ is regressing is out there for many of us.....here are the stats...

GP Comp Att Pct Yards Avg TD Int Rate Att Yds Avg TD Sck SckY Fum Lost
2012 16 252 393 64.1 3,118 7.9 26 10 100 94 489 5.2 4 33 203 6 3
2013 16 257 407 63.1 3,357 8.2 26 9 101.2 96 539 5.6 1 44 272 10 5
2014 16 285 452 63.1 3,475 7.7 20 7 95 118 849 7.2 6 42 242 11 0
2015 16 329 483 68.1 4,024 8.3 34 8 110.1 103 553 5.4 1 45 265 7 3
2016 16 353 546 64.1 4,219 7.7 21 11 92.6 72 259 3.6 1 41 293 8 2
2017 16 339 553 61.3 3,983 7.2 34 11 95.4 95 586 6.2 3 43 322 14 3
2018 16 280 427 65.6 3,448 8.1 35 7 110.9 67 376 5.6 0 51 355 10 2
2019 16 341 516 66.1 4,110 8 31 5 106.3 75 342 4.6 3 48 319 8 2
2020 16 384 558 68.8 4,212 7.5 40 13 105.1 83 513 6.2 2 47 301 7 4
Total 144 2,820 4,335 65.1 33,946 7.8 267 81 101.7 803 4,506 5.6 21 394 2,572 81 24

The numbers don't prove out a regression anywhere. Russ is rather consistent across the board.

5thgen

Reaction score
Danny Darko":2srv2323 said:
So this trigonometry guy has about the best take I've seen on Russ, holding the ball, and being short.

TLDR- now that russ isn't being flushed out of the pocket or running rpo his 5'7" eye level prevents him from physically seeing anyone behind a 6'4" line within a certain needed yardage and also requires he drops way back to spot people.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/andref1989/status/1349066045403893760?s=20[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/andref1989/status/1349066045403893760?s=20

Great analysis. I agree 100%. Same reason why you see Baker Mayfield doing 5-7 steps drop back.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't know enough about football to point to the problem(s), but watching the Saints looked exactly the same on offense last night as we did in the games we struggled. Turnovers, miscommunications, no big runs, passes that were almost intercepted, etc. Not saying it was either of their fault, but Brees looked exactly like Russ on a lot of plays.

John63

Reaction score
5thgen":2hll6k8p said:
Danny Darko":2hll6k8p said:
So this trigonometry guy has about the best take I've seen on Russ, holding the ball, and being short.

TLDR- now that russ isn't being flushed out of the pocket or running rpo his 5'7" eye level prevents him from physically seeing anyone behind a 6'4" line within a certain needed yardage and also requires he drops way back to spot people.

Great analysis. I agree 100%. Same reason why you see Baker Mayfield doing 5-7 steps drop back.[/quote

HE also made a good case for any QB under 6'4" having the same issue. That's why they have throwing lanes all QBs need them, it is a fact. So all he is doing is saying the same thing all QBs need and trying to make it look like it is just Wilson. It is basically a lie.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":1m5n5yeg said:
PNW":1m5n5yeg said:
One thing I’ll say about Russ is he definitely has been the most durable QB since he’s been in the league, that definitely counts for something. If he can consistently hit the short passes and take what elite defenses give him I think he’ll turn a corner. Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes make you pay if you try to blitz or sit in 2 deep zone. They take over games and can audible into formations that strike the defenses weaknesses.

Yeah i mean we have never seen Wilson do that. OH wait we have.

Can you point to a period when he consistently executed an effective short passing game?

Empirical evidence please. Love Russ but I think there are two camps on this board. One that blames russ for everything, another that rarely finds fault in him but when they do, still find a way to scapegoat Pete, playcalling, or a weak supporting cast. All with tge only evidence presented being anecdotal.

One can post videos and game clips from this year alone of Russ literally not making the right presnap read to adjust to pressure, and the result being a sack. Or not changing the play to a hot in that situation, and taking a sack. Or there being a hot read and nit throwing the ball and taking a sack. Or not getting rid of the ball, and running himself into a sack.

There's enough REAL evidence there that there shoukd be a valid question as to why these things happen consistently in year 9. And whatever culpability there is on the part of Pete or the OC for lack of creativity goes out the window in a situation where in the context of a play it is plainly obvious that a read by the qb, an audible by the qb, or a line adjustment by the qb, or the qb getting the ball out to a wr who is wide open in front of him would yield a successful gain and not a sack, int, or failed first down attempt.

These instances I'm referring to ARE NOT those instances where a call was sent in that just didn't make sense. Or when an offensive lineman just whiffed on a block or a rb failed an assignment.

Had anyone ever considered that maybe Russ is incredibly GIFTED and also inexplicably CHALLENGED? He can freelance and make incredible plays on his own, can succeed at times ' on schedule ' when the offense is multiple, and can threaten on the ground and in the air. But when asked to just step to the line and call adjustments, make multiple level reads and get the ball out, that maybe he struggles with that?

And that maybe THAT is as much the reason for the early game struggles and late game rallies as anything else?

And maybe it's also the reason he never has sustained success. 2016 saw he and Baldwin get hot for a 4 game stretch and then go cold. And for the last 3 years he's been in the mvp conversation early in the season and then slowly regress.

It's not crazy at this point to begin to assume part of the reason is him. All you have to do is look at film.

And if you take that as a possibility, and assume he's just not comfortable with certain plays- short plays over the middle, that maybe THATS why the plays you see the OC sending in involve 3 wrs running long routes to clear the clutter underneath with a TE or RB or Lockett filling the vacated area. This happened constantly this year and I don't tbink it was an accident. It's a valid way to attack the short middle if you aren't going to run faster hitting routes.

Yes, Pete is flawed for time management, challenges, and sometimes stubbornly adhering to an approach ( although that stubborn attitude yielded dividends on D this year when folks were calling for his head)

Yes, Schotty could have been more diverse in his calls.

But Mister Wilson at times performed like a rookie in situations that he controlled fully.

QB play needs to be much better.
Playcalling needs to be better
Pete needs to try to be a lot smarter on gameday.

keasley45

Reaction score
5thgen":2o2m4xec said:
Danny Darko":2o2m4xec said:

Great analysis. I agree 100%. Same reason why you see Baker Mayfield doing 5-7 steps drop back.

Thank you for this. He's not as elusive as he used to be. Where before he could escape the pocket and make a play and didn't HAVE to always stay on script, now he has to hang in. He has a difficult time with the short , quick reads so needs a deeper drop. And if thats the fact, then the pass plays will see a heavy dose of longer developing routes that send wr's downfield to clear out the underneath in timing that correlates with Russ hitting his release point. Hapoened over and over again with the receiver there and the ball didn't come out.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":39frw2jm said:
5thgen":39frw2jm said:
Danny Darko":39frw2jm said:

Great analysis. I agree 100%. Same reason why you see Baker Mayfield doing 5-7 steps drop back.[/quote

HE also made a good case for any QB under 6'4" having the same issue. That's why they have throwing lanes all QBs need them, it is a fact. So all he is doing is saying the same thing all QBs need and trying to make it look like it is just Wilson. It is basically a lie.

A lie? The shorter you are, the more it becomes an issue. And the more experienced a qb is in actually running an offense from a pocket, the less an issue it might be. If you watched the Saints this weekend, you saw Brees throwing the ball over the short middle when it was clear from the camera behind him on one play that he couldn't actually see Kamara and the ball was there on time, on the spot, for a completion and run after catch. Brees let the ball go because he knew where his receiver would be given the presnap read.

Russ is SHORTER than Brees and can't recall him doing that recently on time that way. In fact the most recent example against the Giants( a very similar play) where he hit Carson late over the middle, the ball was a little off and hot, and it bounced off of Carson and was picked off. Prime example that was even highlighted on fiedgulls I believe as a case where Russ NEEDED to get the ball out over the line when his rb was open but chose to wait a half second, hit him too late with fastball that resulted in an int.

Russ doesn't want to throw that ball or patterns like it. He doesn't trust it ( I think partially because he can't see it), and honestly, I don't think he's trusted his oresnap reads since the first cards game where he was baited by a show of pressure pre snap but the lbs bailed and he threw it right to them.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
strohmin":2hxohdak said:
I think Pete is the one who is ruining Russ. After hearing how pete was arguing with Schotty about a play, I believe this sort of stuff was happening the whole season throwing Russ off each game without letting him get into a groove. I was in the boat of blaming Russ but I definitely think Pete is the one that is regressing and dragging Russ down with him.
Russ looked way more indecisive as the season developed; there was a lot more hesitation, and plays were taking longer to develop, and hell, they were waiting too long to snapping the ball, getting flagged for Delay Of Game,& False Starts.
It became obvious that something was going on, on the sidelines, whether it was Carroll or Schottenheimer, it caused turmoil in the play-call, and THAT is a Coaching issue.
Oh and, I ain't buying the "Too Short" crappola either, as has been mentioned, Drew Breese is only ONE INCH taller.
I also agree with the idea of running more EFFICIENTLY, and not abandoning it so quick and getting hot & heavy in long developing passing game, if Defenses KNOW that you are not going to run the ball, they don't have to be honest, will pin their ears back and and go balls out to the QB.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
BChawkfan":361klrt9 said:
Scorpion05":361klrt9 said:
This obsession, almost relentless dedication to bashing Russ on this forum is exhausting. And far worse than the few Russ defenders who push back.

Since wildcard weekend, the following notable QBs have played:

- Patrick Mahomes
- Aaron Rodgers
- Tom Brady
- Drew Brees
- Jared Goff
- Josh Allen
- Ryan Tannehill

Outside of Rodgers, who I would argue was outplayed by Goff for most of the game...which QB lit it up?

Some of the almost interceptions, missed throws, etc. I’ve seen since last weekend, you would rip RW to shreds. It confirms my belief that RW is treated like garbage unless he is playing lights out every week.

Even the game Rodgers had yesterday, I can’t help but think what several of you would be saying if RW was assisted by 170 rushing yards. You’d be saying something like “RW needs a run game and that’s why he played well.” Even if RW has played exactly like Rodgers. It’s never enough. If he has a good defense, a good running game you diminish him. If he plays well, there’s always a “yea but.” There has been an argument about how good RW is EVERY YEAR on this forum, and that is abnormal given the history.

I think what people want out of Rus,is consistency. Which,is one thing we really havent gotten from him.
We've all seen how he CAN perform at any given time.

RW has been one of the most consistent QBs year to year and has never had a true "down" year. I've been here long enough, and my main point is there is an argument amongst fans about his ability every year. Every. Single. Year. And that is abnormal for a QB that has done what he has done.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Danny Darko":74zow740 said:

Everyone's an expert lol. Wilson's height is not an issue. Several QBs have shown they can make short and intermediate throws. It is simply not Pete's preference.

LoneHawkFan":74zow740 said:
onepicknick1":74zow740 said:
Seymour":74zow740 said:
HawkerD":74zow740 said:

Definitely right but have they ever gave Russ the the help to take it to the next level? I don't think he's regressing I think he's playing the same ball he has for the pass 4 years, Take a look at the way the QB's are getting the ball to their receivers Russ seems to have to have them wide open instead of a step on the receiver is open. I hope they get him some coaching this year because it seems they just count on his raw talent.

RE: Have they ever given Russ help? We have plenty of talent out wide for essentially any kind of game we would want to play. I heard people all year talking about our level of WR play; we also have TEs that are good blockers and can catch 5 passes per game, we have two RBs that have both been 1000-yd rushers and are still in their highly productive years, and an improved OLine. We have what we need to score enough points wo win football games, even against top defenses.

I agree with everything else you're saying.

This is between the coaches and Russell- not his supporting cast, IMO.

While I don't necessarily agree with the OP that he is regressing...I absolutely believe that he is playing at basically the same level overall that he has all of his career. He hasn't ever taken that big next step that we were all thinking he would by this point. He came into the league as one of the most efficient passers, and he still is. But he's shown very little growth. His stats are driven by how much he throws the ball, not by the fact that he's just a much-improved QB. His per-pass-attempt stats have been essentially stagnant since 2012.

Which, in the grand scheme of things, is still ok...he is still in the 4-8 range overall, which should be enough to make a Super Bowl run. BUT...the league is far different now than it was in 2013. Russell, Kaep, Cam...ushered in a new QB style, which- along with league rules- has allowed NFL offenses overall to become much more creative and dynamic.

I'm not sure we have what it takes to beat the likes of KC or Buffalo without an absolute stellar defense.

Which brings everything full circle back to the first time we won the Superb Owl.

Wilson spent half of his career with a 29th-31st ranked O-line.

He had Paul Richardson, Jermaine Kearse, and Ricardo Lockette. Those were considered "Weapons."

Only recently, was there a decent investment in the O-line and weapons. The best he's ever had, does not mean much when it's coming from a low standard.

That is why I say trade Wilson to the Saints. He'll have the O-line, the playcaller, and the weapons. And as Hawks fans, we can cry about how wrong we were. Because we're ignoring the fact that Wilson has spent MOST of his career carrying a team with flaws. No different from the McCarthy Packers.

It is also false Wilson has not improved. He has arguably improved every year and improved his mechanics under Schotty.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
keasley45":114o7bel said:
John63":114o7bel said:
PNW":114o7bel said:
One thing I’ll say about Russ is he definitely has been the most durable QB since he’s been in the league, that definitely counts for something. If he can consistently hit the short passes and take what elite defenses give him I think he’ll turn a corner. Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes make you pay if you try to blitz or sit in 2 deep zone. They take over games and can audible into formations that strike the defenses weaknesses.

Can you point to a period when he consistently executed an effective short passing game?

Empirical evidence please. Love Russ but I think there are two camps on this board. One that blames russ for everything, another that rarely finds fault in him but when they do, still find a way to scapegoat Pete, playcalling, or a weak supporting cast. All with tge only evidence presented being anecdotal.

One can post videos and game clips from this year alone of Russ literally not making the right presnap read to adjust to pressure, and the result being a sack. Or not changing the play to a hot in that situation, and taking a sack. Or there being a hot read and nit throwing the ball and taking a sack. Or not getting rid of the ball, and running himself into a sack.

There's enough REAL evidence there that there shoukd be a valid question as to why these things happen consistently in year 9. And whatever culpability there is on the part of Pete or the OC for lack of creativity goes out the window in a situation where in the context of a play it is plainly obvious that a read by the qb, an audible by the qb, or a line adjustment by the qb, or the qb getting the ball out to a wr who is wide open in front of him would yield a successful gain and not a sack, int, or failed first down attempt.

These instances I'm referring to ARE NOT those instances where a call was sent in that just didn't make sense. Or when an offensive lineman just whiffed on a block or a rb failed an assignment.

Had anyone ever considered that maybe Russ is incredibly GIFTED and also inexplicably CHALLENGED? He can freelance and make incredible plays on his own, can succeed at times ' on schedule ' when the offense is multiple, and can threaten on the ground and in the air. But when asked to just step to the line and call adjustments, make multiple level reads and get the ball out, that maybe he struggles with that?

And that maybe THAT is as much the reason for the early game struggles and late game rallies as anything else?

And maybe it's also the reason he never has sustained success. 2016 saw he and Baldwin get hot for a 4 game stretch and then go cold. And for the last 3 years he's been in the mvp conversation early in the season and then slowly regress.

It's not crazy at this point to begin to assume part of the reason is him. All you have to do is look at film.

And if you take that as a possibility, and assume he's just not comfortable with certain plays- short plays over the middle, that maybe THATS why the plays you see the OC sending in involve 3 wrs running long routes to clear the clutter underneath with a TE or RB or Lockett filling the vacated area. This happened constantly this year and I don't tbink it was an accident. It's a valid way to attack the short middle if you aren't going to run faster hitting routes.

Yes, Pete is flawed for time management, challenges, and sometimes stubbornly adhering to an approach ( although that stubborn attitude yielded dividends on D this year when folks were calling for his head)

But Mister Wilson at times performed like a rookie in situations that he controlled fully.

Can you point to evidence of Pete gameplanning a short passing game, consistently?

He did it in the Steelers game last year. His time to throw in that game was 1.89 seconds. Did you know that, or attempt to research it? Do you realize how quick that is? Or is the main goal just making up narratives?

He did it in the Dallas game in 2018, where his time to throw was 2.58 seconds. He has shown in several games that he can pass over the middle and make quick throws. In the 2019 season, his time to throw fluctuated week to week. It is simply not Pete's philosophy.

But facts are clearly not important here. If it was, you wouldn't even bring up 2016. The year he played with an injured MCL and a torn pectoral. Somehow, that sacrifice for our team isn't appreciated, because of course not. Oh, and that's the year where his time to throw for the season was 2.61. He couldn't move around, and still found ways to win

Now we're going back to the Wilson is stupid narrative again. When several NFL analysts have praised RW before as one of the best pre-snap QBs in the league. With even NFL films showing what Wilson saw and how he read the defense. Suddenly, because he struggles in some games we're back to questioning his brain. Just as it was before. And you think your view is fair. Okay.

Like I said, trade Russ to the Saints, or another team that will appreciate him. We will see who is right.

keasley45

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2icbunsw said:
keasley45":2icbunsw said:
John63":2icbunsw said:
PNW":2icbunsw said:

Can you point to evidence of Pete gameplanning a short passing game, consistently?

He did it in the Steelers game last year. His time to throw in that game was 1.89 seconds. Did you know that, or attempt to research it? Do you realize how quick that is? Or is the main goal just making up narratives?

He did it in the Dallas game in 2018, where his time to throw was 2.58 seconds. He has shown in several games that he can pass over the middle and make quick throws. In the 2019 season, his time to throw fluctuated week to week. It is simply not Pete's philosophy.

But facts are clearly not important here. If it was, you wouldn't even bring up 2016. The year he played with an injured MCL and a torn pectoral. Somehow, that sacrifice for our team isn't appreciated, because of course not. Oh, and that's the year where his time to throw for the season was 2.61. He couldn't move around, and still found ways to win

Now we're going back to the Wilson is stupid narrative again. When several NFL analysts have praised RW before as one of the best pre-snap QBs in the league. With even NFL films showing what Wilson saw and how he read the defense. Suddenly, because he struggles in some games we're back to questioning his brain. Just as it was before. And you think your view is fair. Okay.

Like I said, trade Russ to the Saints, or another team that will appreciate him. We will see who is right.

Pete doesn't put together the offensive plan. The OC does.

Great info on Russ's release times. Didn't know that but if you could provide the info I'd be interested in looking at other games where he was that fast and understand why it was and maybe why it then stopped . Love digging into this stuff and contrary to yiur insinuation, don't do so with the intent of creating any 'narrative' but rather after 9 years , just not falling victim anymore to the 'its everybody's fault but Russ's' for the offenses predictable stagnation... because it always stagnates after some period.

And I never said Russ was stupid. But apparently the entire coaching staff is according to your argument to have a qb that can consistently do all the things some here claim he struggles with, but then just arbitrarily decide to stop calling those plays.

And like I said, as many times aas one might post a video or play break down, or point to nfl analysts posts where they are also wondering what's wrong with the guy and why he won't release the ball and actually in some cases turns a 25 yard play into a 15 yard sack, the folks that want to blame it all on Pete and the OC either don't acknowledge that those things... those pivotal plays... cost us games and have no alternative reason for why they happen.

But back to Russ is stupid, which again is NOT what was said.

There are plenty of really intelligent people that seem less so in situations where they aren't at ease or forced to give responses to questions they woukd otherwise easily answer. Classic example is in a timed test. Same translates tonthe football field and in particular at the qb position. A qb with time to throw can drop back, make his reads and get the ball out. Under pressure, maybe not. And at times, the perception of pressure or anticipation of pressure can have a similar effect. Look no further than the first cardinals game to see the effect Arizona 4th qtr blitzes had on russ. The y showed the look, russ panicked, released the ball, and tossed right to Arizona. And his ansiness in the pocket, double clutching, not throwing until he can see a receiver undeniably open (on certain routes).. non of that is speculation or blame gaming. It's fact.

But whether it's perceived pressure when there is none that results in abandoning his reads in the pocket, not trusting protection, not actually bothering with the 2nd read or primary open, underneath read in favor of the big play, the guy needs to get back to basics and make the play when it's there.

And I have pointed to exact in game instances that are exhibit A B and C of what im talking about. Look at my posts. And I brought up 2016 because it's yet another example of the hot hand never lasting too long. That was the reason. Theres a reason why we lightbit up in the passing game and them go dark. And I absolutely do not belive that it's all on the shoulders of now two OCs or that's it's a result of Pete going into the playbook and pulling out pages of plsys that worked otherwise.

And sheesh, man. The talk about how he sacrificed himself... that's wonderful, but the adoration of Wilson above all others is a bit much.

And I would Love to see Russ work with one of the offensive 'geniuses ' in the NFL (funny how they all have either top talent or HOF qb's running their plays... but I digress). To think it's ALL the play calls is a bit blind. It's a two way street.

But I guarantee you that if he did get traded to NO and failed, all the talk would be about how Pete ruined him and he just wasn't the same player anymore.

Dude is human. Needs to get better.

AgentDib

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1owui8ag said:
More pieces?Like Mahomes has?But will not have once his Monster cap guzzling contract
This is a good point that I think many posters here do not fully realize. Many of the teams that are envied out there are led by QBs on cheap rookie deals. Getting one of those catapults even formerly bad teams into the playoffs and gives average teams a great shot at winning a Super Bowl. Mahomes has a $5m cap hit this season; if the Chiefs weren't good that would be an enormous failure on their part.

Consider that some posters here would be giddy at the thought of replacing Carroll with Andy Reid. However, Andy Reid has been a head coach for 21 years in the NFL and has won just one Super Bowl; while he had a star QB on a rookie contract just like Carroll did. You can talk about schemes and play calling as much as you want, but that discussion is ultimately dwarfed by the advantage that a team gets from a good cheap QB.

If you want a real comparison, see how Reid's team compares in 2023 when the Mahomes contract eclipses Russ's contract. My guess is that Chiefs team gets bounced from the playoffs with notable holes on the roster and people start to criticize Reid for letting his scheme get stale and for not addressing areas of weakness.

That isn't to say that we should get rid of Russ, because getting a good cheap QB is very hard. Teams that try it are more likely to end up with Dwayne Haskins instead of Josh Allen. It's also a short lived window because good QBs do not stay cheap for very long. However, if a team does pull it off then bear in mind they have a major advantage for a short period of time and that is a major reason for successes they find in that period of the time.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Andy Reid was a very good coach for years. He never was a threat until he got a Russell Wilson/Mahomes type of QB.

With Mahomes, suddenly he is winning more playoff games. Weird how that works.

Meanwhile, Carroll has his own Wilson/Mahomes type, but instead chooses to squander it and trust in his mediocre to good defense (depending on the day). Predictably, he is generally not winning more playoff games.

I find it odd that people spin this narrative that Russ cannot do short passes, quick passes, or the middle of the field when he literally did all those things and put up one of his best seasons doing it (under Fing Bevell!). Did it suddenly vanish from his ken?

Wilson does not do things his team is not allowing him to do because his coach is not making it a part of the gameplan. Period.

He might struggle with some aspects of it now, because he keeps barely using this skill for years - but it was there and he was effective at it.

Most of Wilson falling short is his HC not building the system to win around his best players. Some is WIlson as well, obviously. But come on.

If the stories of Pete's legendary control freak nature are true, then not even sure you can put most of this on the other coaches. This falls on Pete, for the most part.

BASF

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":21kjntt6 said:
I find it odd that people spin this narrative that Russ cannot do short passes, quick passes, or the middle of the field when he literally did all those things and put up one of his best seasons doing it (under Fing Bevell!). Did it suddenly vanish from his ken?

Wilson does not do things his team is not allowing him to do because his coach is not making it a part of the gameplan. Period.

Then please explain why on the All-22 there are dozens of examples of open receivers in the middle and intermediate area that have obviously been game planned to be there and open and Wilson is not throwing to them.

chris98251

Reaction score
BASF":3jk2n4a8 said:
TwistedHusky":3jk2n4a8 said:

Then please explain why on the All-22 there are dozens of examples of open receivers in the middle and intermediate area that have obviously been game planned to be there and open and Wilson is not throwing to them.

Easy, more chances for a INT, tip, or bounce that creates a turnover, almost all of Wilsons throws are out and away or deep and away.

Wilson still does not do the anticipation throw, you know the one where you throw to s spot on the field based on the read and the WR breaks there on a timing pattern.

He doesn't throw into tight windows unless it's a 4th Quarter Comeback, not happening in normal offense. That gives him a out card trying to lead a comeback and there was a mistake.

Thats all in the design of protect the football and don't take chances, a message repeatedly made by Pete and I would bet drilled into Wilson and every Offensive Coach.

John63

Reaction score
BASF":1kcphdko said:
TwistedHusky":1kcphdko said:

Okay first prove they were open when it was their turn in the progression, then prove they were game planned to be open, then prove he had a throwing lane like all QBs need. You see all the all 22 show sis a moment in time of a play but no context around it at all. LAso prove they were at the right down adn distance needed. Does little good to be open 2 yards over the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 30.

FYI with well over 400 pass attempt s a dozen of so-called missed open receivers is not much, all QBs miss them. Also I can show picture s and videos of him throwing over the middle too. I Can also show pictures and videos of Brady, Rodgers, and every QB missing what appears to be open guys over the middle. The question is though, were they open when it was their turn in the progression, was their a throwing lane, and what was the down and distance.

Latest posts