We Won the Game and I'm Pissed Off

Optimus25

Reaction score
Smellyman":1znkpi6n said:
Natethegreat":1znkpi6n said:
Absolutely, I am still mistyfied on the tackle on the punt. They said personal foul but didn't say what for. No penalties for PI was also aggravating considering they rarely even turned to look at the ball and 2 were called on us an as you said multiple lowering of the helmet calls went uncalled and then they call one on Jefferson.

The most frustrating part about the roughing on the punt returner was it was the next play after Shem committed PI on 3rd down. Not called.

Yup. Literally tackled his arm that was extending for the ball. I remember similar plays religiously called PI when he was in a hawks uni too, and truthfully, i actually like the no call. But not when it's not both ways!. As in how was that not PI on Sherman but that early PI call on Flowers was what, exactly?

I think one of the best immediate fixes for this is a weekly ref recap, where the league publicly debriefs on a television show every penalty and the reasoning behind why it was called and complete analysis. That would at least give some kind of accountability to the game changing calls that sometimes get forgotten about.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The officiating that really has me confused is how a player who is out of bounds can reach into the field of play and impact the outcome. End of the half dude reaches in and grabs Metcalf/the ball and maintains contact while coming into the field of play and affecting the outcome.

Now, hypothetically, if Metcalf hands the ball to any player who is standing out of bounds, possession of the ball does not change for purposes of the game because player is considered outside the field of play so.... WTF?

I don't think this has ever happened in a way that the NFL has a clear ruling about this.

What if a player, standing out of bounds, reaches in and knocks the ball out of a player's hands, causing a fumble, which is then recovered by a third in-bounds player? Because the person hit the ball while out of bounds the play should be dead, I would think.

Elemas

Reaction score
No call PI on Richard Sherman, another no call PI where I can't remember the guilty party...just Boogers comment that "...the defender wasn't looking at the ball but he made a play on the receiver's hands being up" (guess we label that contact "incidental" now), no call offensive PI that Wagner almost intercepted...

Just to add a few.

Prior to yesterday's game, I don't think I've ever commented (at least in forums) about officiating. I've always looked at it as it would balance itself out in the end.

To win a game, and STILL be pissed, shows you just how bad it was.

Ridiculous.

hawksbydesign

Reaction score
I was just sick of how they just kept showing 49er's DC Robert Saleh and praising him as if he invented defense. There was no mention of Ken Norton Jr.

JPatera76

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2vnzuo5n said:
The officiating that really has me confused is how a player who is out of bounds can reach into the field of play and impact the outcome. End of the half dude reaches in and grabs Metcalf/the ball and maintains contact while coming into the field of play and affecting the outcome.

Now, hypothetically, if Metcalf hands the ball to any player who is standing out of bounds, possession of the ball does not change for purposes of the game because player is considered outside the field of play so.... WTF?

I don't think this has ever happened in a way that the NFL has a clear ruling about this.

What if a player, standing out of bounds, reaches in and knocks the ball out of a player's hands, causing a fumble, which is then recovered by a third in-bounds player? Because the person hit the ball while out of bounds the play should be dead, I would think.
100% agree

HawkFan72

Reaction score
You guys are such homers. The Seahawks got away with a lot of holds and other penalties as well (including at least 1 missed facemask I saw). There were really bad calls and missed calls on both sides. The officiating was fair, it was just horrendous.

daveman918

Reaction score
bandiger":qvysbiis said:
Watching this MNF crew praise the refs was something. Very grating to the point I had to mute most of it :p

You listen to them? I mute the TV and time align the radio broadcast. Raible and Wyman were great last night! :D

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2rva99fp said:
At no point did they explain the personal foul on the punt return.

I still have no idea what was done wrong. 15 yards for tackling?

But the in the grasp may have been the worst call in the history of the NFL. Absolutely a fireable offense.

Thank God Russ gave them the finger on the next play.

This was one of the stranger moments in a game filled with madness and magic. In the bar we can't hear the call "In the grasp". We see Russell escape and run for 4 or 5 yards setting up a 3 and reasonable. When Russell is under center we see it's 3rd and 16? WTF. And while were trying figure it out Malik busts out for 20 some odd yards and a first down! Magic.

The Refs suck. We won. I'm not mad.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
HawkFan72":vvfyj4rm said:
You guys are such homers. The Seahawks got away with a lot of holds and other penalties as well (including at least 1 missed facemask I saw). There were really bad calls and missed calls on both sides. The officiating was fair, it was just horrendous.

Fair? Utter nonsense. We had 9 penalties for 75 yards, they had 5 for 40.

And the PI flag on Taylor in the 1st quarter which negated the interception, was tossed a good 5 seconds after the pick.

Crizilla

Reaction score
SF is an NFL darling team. If they're having a good year they will get most calls. Makes the win even sweeter.

davidonmi

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":39r2nl46 said:
The worst guy was the ref expert on the commentary, he was so one sided it was untrue. Tried to suggest Carson's very close td was 3 yards short. Honestly the guy was horrible I wanted to spark the prick out.
that was infuriating. He was praising the refs for not calling a TD while completely ignoring that they had missed the spot by almost an entire yard.

davidonmi

Reaction score
olyfan63":1skku3h3 said:
For sure, the BS game stoppages in overtime were totally lame. For one, after Malik Turner's catch, stopping it for that?
Please, NFL, reinstate coach challenges in OT so we don't have this BS disrupting the game. Of course, what it did was give SF Defense a chance to catch their breath, just when Carson was about to gash them, would have been a 10 yard run.

The PI non-calls... when did the NFL change their definition of DPI? OK, fine, but call it that way FOR the Hawk defenders as well.

The BS call on Thorpe on that Punt tackle... OMG, will we have any actual FOOTBALL left?

I felt the same way about the multiple SF defenders hitting Russell after he gave himself up; shoulda been a flag. Watching the replay though, it wasn't as bad, and they mostly hit each other.

8) The play where Reed, IIRC, sacks Jimmy G and gets called for the helmet hit... OK, fine, but then call the hit on Russell, FalconGoggles' item 3).

Overall, it felt like the refs tried to "steer" the game to the 49ers, but couldn't quite manage to get it done.
of they are trying to get rid of leading with the helmet like Parry claimed after that call against Jefferson on the sack it really shouldn't matter that they hit each other. All three of them were leading with their helmets after Russ had slid and the fact that the friendly fire may have led to a concussion shows how dangerous it was.

You can't call one a foul and one not just because Wilson turned his head to avoid the hit and Garappolo ducked into it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I only saw the 4th Quarter but that was the best part..
What wasn't was as you all saw the ESPN/Ref lovefest for the Santa Clara team.
Yes Sherm was all over our rookie before the ball got there and yes RW got hit
multiple times while he slid plus a facemask another time.
That personal foul on the return man?My ass..I was like what???
The one I didn't see a Niner getting the fumble while out of bounds..
A player is dead out of bounds no matter what that rule cannot be twisted
as it is cut and dry..Now a player if pushed out by other team can come back in the
field of play to do whatever as long as he is on the field!
Great game much as the Refs tried to steer it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1bsu0nnv said:

The ball was NOT out of Metcalf's outstretched hand until AFTER the tip of the ball brakes the plane...Let's see...Hmm, a player goes out of bounds, DOES NOT reestablish, jars the ball loose AFTER the ball breaks the plane, and then the ball gets away from BOTH Defender & Receiver?
Player goes out of bounds, makes a play on the ball from Out Of Bounds....uh..(talks to self) Player goes out of bounds and doesn't have to RE-ESTABLISH?...Other than a few marbles, am I missing something here?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkFan72":7kzj75d5 said:
With all due respect, I disagree 100%.
This was a “steered game”, refs handed the wheel to the Niners, the Niners grabbed the wheel and drove it into the ditch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2nj9n1yk said:
The ball was NOT out of Metcalf's outstretched hand until AFTER the tip of the ball brakes the plane...Let's see...Hmm, a player goes out of bounds, DOES NOT reestablish, jars the ball loose AFTER the ball breaks the plane, and then the ball gets away from BOTH Defender & Receiver?
Player goes out of bounds, makes a play on the ball from Out Of Bounds....uh..(talks to self) Player goes out of bounds and doesn't have to RE-ESTABLISH?...Other than a few marbles, am I missing something here?

You're missing everything.

1. Tartt had complete control of the ball at the 2 yard line, which is why that's where the ball was spotted. One hand still on the ball does not = control. The rule states that when two players have control of the ball, it's the player that maintains possession all the way through the completion of the play that's awarded possession...........that was Tartt at the two.

2. All Tartt had to do since he was pushed out of bounds by Moore to re-establish himself was to get both feet back in bounds before making contact with the player or ball. Now if he ran out on his own? Then no, he's not allowed to be the first person to touch or make contact.

It's a complicated call for sure, but IMO the refs got it right.

[youtube]tGSL85gVm78[/youtube]

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2l5z28rd said:

I believe that ORDINARILY, the player that goes out of bounds like that, makes a play FROM THE SIDELINE, gets flagged for a foul, he sure as hell doesn't get an atta boy & the take away.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tjh1ykt said:
scutterhawk":2tjh1ykt said:

1. Tartt had complete control of the ball at the 2 yard line, which is why that's where the ball was spotted. One hand still on the ball does not = control. The rule states that when two players have control of the ball, it's the player that maintains possession all the way through the completion of the play that's awarded possession...........that was Tartt at the two.

2. All Tartt had to do since he was pushed out of bounds by Moore to re-establish himself was to get both feet back in bounds before making contact with the player or ball. Now if he ran out on his own? Then no, he's not allowed to be the first person to touch or make contact.

He made contact OFF THE FIELD OF PLAY...That's a penalty.
AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1vblt0cz said:
Sgt. Largent":1vblt0cz said:
scutterhawk":1vblt0cz said:

He made contact OFF THE FIELD OF PLAY...That's a penalty.

That's OK for the defender to do.

A receiver cannot go out of bounds and then return to the field of play to make a catch. Players can however go out of bounds and return to the field of play to make a legal tackle on a ball carrier.

He's not allowed to have possession out of bounds, but is allowed to engage the play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2kbja265 said:
AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.

Lol, did you watch the video? Moore absolutely pushes him out.

I see I'm not getting anywhere with you, you're too far down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. God speed. It was the right call, but you go on with your bad self.