We Won the Game and I'm Pissed Off

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":140edgau said:
You guys are such homers. The Seahawks got away with a lot of holds and other penalties as well (including at least 1 missed facemask I saw). There were really bad calls and missed calls on both sides. The officiating was fair, it was just horrendous.

Another one we got away with was Carson's TD. He was moving forward before the snap.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
OK, I'll drop the needle on my broken record...

The NFL is entertainment, not a court of law. If you are expecting justice to be served, well, keep on a-waitin'. The games are a Product, and we are the Market. As long as they are raking in cash, don't expect big changes.

Are the refs - by extension - manipulating the game for the NFL? Hard to say, but it sure feels like it sometimes. It's not as bad as the WWE or Reality TV, but it sure does seem like it's more than just poor judgement on the field. Or, in the booth. Or NY. Or whatever. It was really odd though how the booth announcers were praising the refs. Then again, I would never take anything serious from somebody named Booger. Hopefully the fad of having former refs justify the calls for the networks goes away. It also seems like a PR move by the NFL/networks.

I don't think computer refs are the answer. Might as well just throw some robots out there to play while you're at it. It's the human element that makes the game interesting. Otherwise, just go back to playing Madden.

I've given up on getting mad at the calls, because I feel manipulated and it ruins it. It's just part of the current iteration of the NFL. For better or for worse.

I would also guess that people who get REALLY ANGRY at the officiating week in and week out probably bet on sports or play fantasy football. Either way, here's another thread that has 30 posts of people arguing with each other, and talking sports on a day without a game. Mission accomplished, NFL.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3tyhlpea said:
Add to that the morons calling the game clearly loved the niners and wanted them to win. Be a little objective.

Yeah I was commenting during the game how obvious it was...The announcer would go ape sh*t whenever there was a big play by the 49ers...That Wilson TD his tone was barely raised above an average play. I miss when MNF actually had good announcers.

Osprey

Reaction score
AubHawk71":20z1fl11 said:
I would also guess that people who get REALLY ANGRY at the officiating week in and week out probably bet on sports or play fantasy football.

Not a fully formed thought, but wouldn't the opposite be true. The theory behind shaping is that they are trying to keep the game close so as not to lose viewership late in the game. Since gambling is based on probability / predictability wouldn't that help the book by reducing variability and drive interest from fans whose team always has a shot?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":umzolnx1 said:
scutterhawk":umzolnx1 said:
AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.

Lol, did you watch the video? Moore absolutely pushes him out.

I see I'm not getting anywhere with you, you're too far down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. God speed. It was the right call, but you go on with your bad self.
LOL yer ass Sarge, Moore did NOT push him out...I absolutely DID watch in freeze frames throughout the entire play, Moore didn't even touch Tartt until he was ALREADY OUT.
You're not getting anywhere with me because I recognize when someone is trying to blow smoke up my arse.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3j59fxhp said:
Sgt. Largent":3j59fxhp said:
scutterhawk":3j59fxhp said:
AND Moore did NOT push him out, Tartt was so wrapped up in making a play, that HE stepped out on his own.

I see I'm not getting anywhere with you, you're too far down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole. God speed. It was the right call, but you go on with your bad self.
LOL yer ass Sarge, Moore did NOT push him out...I absolutely DID watch in freeze frames throughout the entire play, Moore didn't even touch Tartt until he was ALREADY OUT.
You're not getting anywhere with me because I recognize when someone is trying to blow smoke up my arse.

I think you have a poor understanding of the rules. Please cite which penalty should have been enforced, referencing the NFL rule book.

justafan

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have is if you are going to protect the QBs and preach player safety then protect all QBs. Not just the statues but the scramblers as well. Newton is another QB that takes some pretty crappy hits that never get called just because he is athletic.

Wilson was clearly giving himself up and was taking shots.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Osprey":24kq2637 said:
AubHawk71":24kq2637 said:
I would also guess that people who get REALLY ANGRY at the officiating week in and week out probably bet on sports or play fantasy football.

Not a fully formed thought, but wouldn't the opposite be true. The theory behind shaping is that they are trying to keep the game close so as not to lose viewership late in the game. Since gambling is based on probability / predictability wouldn't that help the book by reducing variability and drive interest from fans whose team always has a shot?

Last time I looked a guess is, by definition, not a full formed thought. If I ABSOLUTELY thought/knew I wouldn't call it a guess. Hmm, I don't quite get your logic. Honest. If the NFL is trying to keep the game close, that is purely for viewership purposes, the NFL is not betting on the game or has a Fantasy team. Which is really just betting too. They want to keep the game close to keep people watching, to heck with point spreads and individual stats. No?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2o34edlk said:
You guys are such homers. The Seahawks got away with a lot of holds and other penalties as well (including at least 1 missed facemask I saw). There were really bad calls and missed calls on both sides. The officiating was fair, it was just horrendous.

LOL, what game did you watch? SF had 5 penalties called on them all game. :pukeface:

NBC

3. Poor officiating

Seattle was called for two dubious helmet-to-helmet penalties. Neiko Thorpe made what appeared to be a perfect tackle on punt coverage, and Quinton Jefferson was flagged for lowering his helmet against Garoppolo, a penalty that wiped out a sack.

Meanwhile, the refs missed a late hit and a separate facemask against Wilson. The facemask came on the play where San Francisco scored a defensive touchdown. It's never wise to play the "blame the refs" game, but Seattle had a few legitimate gripes in this one.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
OK, I think I see what you are getting at. It's kind of high concept pretzel logic but...

You're saying that the NFL would WANT to keep to the pre-game predictions without messing with probability so as to not anger the sports bettors and fantasy players. That would make sense if they weren't concerned with general advertising revenue first and foremost. In your scenario, the majority of viewers would have to be betting on the game to make it work for the NFL revenue.

I would GUESS the vast majority of people watching the game don't have any stake in it besides their team winning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3o71ks7v said:
Sgt. Largent":3o71ks7v said:
scutterhawk":3o71ks7v said:

Even Pete said at his presser that it "was a legitimate great play by them."

Some of you guys are so far gone it's ridiculous.........even after we win I count SEVEN threads on the front page about the refs or media bias.

It's insufferable. Good god, you guys know we won right?

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l1iwrw7u said:
scutterhawk":l1iwrw7u said:
Sgt. Largent":l1iwrw7u said:
scutterhawk":l1iwrw7u said:

Even Pete said at his presser that it "was a legitimate great play by them."

Some of you guys are so far gone it's ridiculous.........even after we win I count SEVEN threads on the front page about the refs or media bias.

It's insufferable. Good god, you guys know we won right?

Exactly. Sometimes the other team makes a good play. Surprisingly the refs got this one correct.

Osprey

Reaction score
AubHawk71":2hk8urx1 said:
Osprey":2hk8urx1 said:
AubHawk71":2hk8urx1 said:

Last time I looked a guess is, by definition, not a full formed thought. If I ABSOLUTELY thought/knew I wouldn't call it a guess. Hmm, I don't quite get your logic. Honest. If the NFL is trying to keep the game close, that is purely for viewership purposes, the NFL is not betting on the game or has a Fantasy team. Which is really just betting too. They want to keep the game close to keep people watching, to heck with point spreads and individual stats. No?
I was saying my thought wasn’t fully formed...not meant to insult your comment, just that it raised an interesting question .

The benefit to bookies and incentive for gamblers is a side effect not the motivation for the NFL. For the league viewership throughout the game is the driver due to add revenue.

Fantasy is a whole other beast. My quick take is that it drives the bias towards offensive production.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkStrong":y5qgz8t3 said:
scutterhawk":y5qgz8t3 said:
Sgt. Largent":y5qgz8t3 said:
scutterhawk":y5qgz8t3 said:

I think you have a poor understanding of the rules. Please cite which penalty should have been enforced, referencing the NFL rule book.

I don't need a rule book to know that some of Y'all are trying to lie your way out of nonsensical statements...Statements like "Moore Pushed Tartt Out".
YES, I absolutely understand that we won IN SPITE of some SHIT CALLS / NO CALLS, BUT, it shouldn't come down to inept Officiating steering games. OH AND, if some of you jokers that are put off with these threads, why not spare yourselves the grief, hell , no one is forcing you to click on, and play smart ass. :roll:

HawkStrong

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1iled9nc said:
HawkStrong":1iled9nc said:
scutterhawk":1iled9nc said:
Sgt. Largent":1iled9nc said:

I don't need a rule book to know that some of Y'all are trying to lie your way out of nonsensical statements...Statements like "Moore Pushed Tartt Out".
YES, I absolutely understand that we won IN SPITE of some $h!t CALLS / NO CALLS, BUT, it shouldn't come down to inept Officiating steering games. OH AND, if some of you jokers that are put off with these threads, why not spare yourselves the grief, hell , no one is forcing you to click on, and play smart ass. :roll:

:roll: so nothing to base your opinion on? Just because you feel like it shouldn't be allowed?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
AubHawk71":2cwo5s9f said:
I would also guess that people who get REALLY ANGRY at the officiating week in and week out probably bet on sports.........
And herein lies the hope that officiating improves. With the legalization of sports gambling in the entire country, bad officiating is a threat to people's pocketbook and you'd think they will demand better from the NFL when it comes to their referees.

chris98251

Reaction score
Metcalf caught the ball and was driving, he had control and possession, the defender was trying to strip it, Metcalf still had possession and had not given it up even if it was with one had all the way to the end zone, if they say the defender had possession when DK had one hand on it, it would have been out of bounds since that is where he would have got possession, still Seattle's ball since he had not re established himself.

Secondly if a receiver can make a one handed catch and score a touchdown with possession how can he not still have possession even if it is with one hand, most running backs carry in one hand, a QB throws with one hand.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The Metcalf fumble was odd, but I think maybe I understand the call after watching the replay from the opposite angle and doing a lot of stop/start clicking on the video.

Metcalf never stepped out of bounds. His foot was just inside the boundary. Tartt starts grabbing at the ball before he (Tartt) steps out of bounds. Although his momentum takes him out, he never stops ripping at the ball, and DK was in bounds. Therefore the play was still live.

I think. Maybe. Just an odd play either way.

cymatica

Reaction score
chris98251":1sr0h67o said:
Metcalf caught the ball and was driving, he had control and possession, the defender was trying to strip it, Metcalf still had possession and had not given it up even if it was with one had all the way to the end zone, if they say the defender had possession when DK had one hand on it, it would have been out of bounds since that is where he would have got possession, still Seattle's ball since he had not re established himself.

Secondly if a receiver can make a one handed catch and score a touchdown with possession how can he not still have possession even if it is with one hand, most running backs carry in one hand, a QB throws with one hand.

I'm always bitching about officiating but they got this one right. Fieldgulls explains it well
[url=https://www.fieldgulls.com/20...ww.fieldgulls.com/2019/11/12/2 ... -mnf-tartt[/url]

He lost possession for just a second before the ball crossed the goal line. There is also nothing in the rulebook about an out of bounds player stripping the ball, as long as the offensive player is in bounds it's all fair game.

There were 2 calls that are absolutely worth dissecting imo. The sack on Wilson where he was in the grasp and never stop forward momentum, and the defenseless punt returner. There were plenty of other ticky tack bad judgements, and they all seem to go against Seattle, but you could at least argue they were just missed calls. These 2 calls were just beyond mistakes, either sheer ignorance of the rules or deliberately trying to steer certain plays for whatever reason. There is no legitimate excuse for those calls, especially the punt return, that is why there is a fair catch. I have never once seen a defenseless player penalty on a punt return tackle like that. Wilson never stopped moving forward on the sack, this isn't 2hand touch football. You can't rule a fumble on his strip sack with him moving backwards, then rule him down when he never lost forward momentum. You can't act like you are protecting QBs by saying in the grasp, then straight up ignore him getting speared on his slide.

Vesuve

Reaction score
cymatica":j21o5yyp said:
....There is no legitimate excuse for those calls, especially the punt return, that is why there is a fair catch. I have never once seen a defenseless player penalty on a punt return tackle like that. Wilson never stopped moving forward on the sack, this isn't 2hand touch football.

I didn't get it at first, but the announcers (and the 3rd guy they call in) said he was a "defenseless player" or something like when it comes to a punt-return catch that and our guy tackled high near the neck and head, and it therefore qualified. Rare to happen or get called.

I'm not saying I like it or support it.

I assume if he tackled lower it would not have been called.