What should the Seahawks do with Penny (poll)

What should the Seahawks do with Rashaad Penny

• Sign him to a contract extension

Votes: 76 62.8%
  • Transition or Franchise tag him

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Let him walk in free agency

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters

nanomoz

Reaction score
The only way I'd sign him is if the base salary is in the neighborhood of the vet minimum, with the bulk of the contract being performance incentives. Massive performance incentives are fine.

The odds he's balling out now to earn a second contract are too high. It'd suck if he leaves and tears it up, staying healthy, somewhere else. But it'd suck more to pay him a bunch only to have him recede into the injury-riddled background he's mostly been in during his career.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":14imzva9 said:
For those that think it’s just a 3 game sample so far for Penny are probably clouded in judgement based on availability. When he’s healthy and plays, he’s dynamic and a home run threat every time he touches the ball. The problem is that he hasn’t been healthy in the NFL. He was healthy in college so perhaps the injuries he’s had as a Seahawk are more of an anomaly and we are finally seeing the real Penny.

It’s really not a 3 game sample size. So far in the 9 games he’s played this season, he has 96 Carrie’s for 559 yards. That equates to 5.8 yards per carry. Raise your hand if at the beginning of the season you would be disappointed with those numbers from Penny. My guess is that nearly to a person, everyone would have taken that and been pleased.

His career numbers are pretty close to this season’s numbers. His career numbers are 257 Carrys for 1382 yards for a 5.4 yard per carry average. When he plays, he is a very very good RB. With the number of holes on this team, not resigning him just digs another hole that needs to be filled. If I’m management, I’m looking at his production and feeling pretty good about the RB room. At least this year showed quality depth among the RBs. Give him a 1-2 year prove it deal and bring back Collins, Dallas, and Homer. I think Carson is done. Neck injuries are scary. Focus attention on the other areas of need instead of creating an additional need.
Good post :2thumbs:
To add..Penny has put up numbers against good teams also in past.
There have been games like the Rams one where it seemed like
Russ was pulling off on run plays so he never got the chances.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1por1n8r said:
For those that think it’s just a 3 game sample so far for Penny are probably clouded in judgement based on availability. When he’s healthy and plays, he’s dynamic and a home run threat every time he touches the ball. The problem is that he hasn’t been healthy in the NFL. He was healthy in college so perhaps the injuries he’s had as a Seahawk are more of an anomaly and we are finally seeing the real Penny.

It’s really not a 3 game sample size. So far in the 9 games he’s played this season, he has 96 Carrie’s for 559 yards. That equates to 5.8 yards per carry. Raise your hand if at the beginning of the season you would be disappointed with those numbers from Penny. My guess is that nearly to a person, everyone would have taken that and been pleased.

His career numbers are pretty close to this season’s numbers. His career numbers are 257 Carrys for 1382 yards for a 5.4 yard per carry average. When he plays, he is a very very good RB. With the number of holes on this team, not resigning him just digs another hole that needs to be filled. If I’m management, I’m looking at his production and feeling pretty good about the RB room. At least this year showed quality depth among the RBs. Give him a 1-2 year prove it deal and bring back Collins, Dallas, and Homer. I think Carson is done. Neck injuries are scary. Focus attention on the other areas of need instead of creating an additional need.

You used a lot of words to not commit to Penny long term like the rest of us.

mrblitz

Reaction score
He looks like a real running back. He has a lot of patience now; picking his holes up the middles. He's big and fast. If they can start beating good teams, and he can play like that in the process, they should keep Penny around.

jeremiah

Reaction score
mrblitz":3sbvg3zy said:
He looks like a real running back. He has a lot of patience now; picking his holes up the middles. He's big and fast. If they can start beating good teams, and he can play like that in the process, they should keep Penny around.

I agree. I would rather have him on the team than two very hyped RB's from NYG and the bOYS. Imagine Lucky Penny playing behind the Cowboys OL for the last few years? I like him better than both of those. People need to get off of Petes train. HE IS D U N. This team cannot count on him, he is deep in heart attack country, where even the best coaches lose it. HE IS TOO OLD.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fhkdiz3 said:
oldhawkfan":3fhkdiz3 said:

Per Sgt. Largent:
Two year deal with around 5-6M guaranteed, rest incentives.

That's as far as I'm willing to go with Penny. The good news IMO the rest of the league will feel the same, so I doubt he's going to get bum rushed with big contracts in free agency. RB's just aren't valued like that anymore, especially ones with his injury history.

You are saying a two year deal. In my post I said a 1-2 year prove it deal. It looks to me like you and I are in agreement on resigning Penny along with length of contract.

nwHawk

Reaction score
2 years / $8 million (4/yr) base with incentives that could double it. If he blows up he can still sign another big contract after this one.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Honestly, I could care less about Penny. If they keep him with a cheap incentive contract,,,,fine. If they let him walk,,,,fine. Personally, i'd let him walk.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":mrpiy206 said:
Honestly, I could care less about Penny. If they keep him with a cheap incentive contract,,,,fine. If they let him walk,,,,fine. Personally, i'd let him walk.

He's dominating, though.

If you don't care about that, I find it hard to believe you'd care about other facets of the team.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
We'll see against AZ if he breaks 125 he might be legit if he doesn't he did great against bad teams.

flv

Reaction score
Baring an unlikely tag Penny will be free to sign any contract offer he chooses. Most likely he'll sign with the team whose contract terms are best for him. Either the Seahawks are prepared to compete in an 'offer him the best terms' contest, or they aren't. Posting he should get a cheap contract with incentives is BS.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
onepicknick1":cjhkvqn1 said:
We'll see against AZ if he breaks 125 he might be legit if he doesn't he did great against bad teams.

This is still the NFL. Even against bad teams, racking up consistent 130 yard games is a pretty ridiculous tear.

Not sustainable, but certainly adds to how ruthlessly effective he's been when he plays. He's averaging well over 5 YPC on his career.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
flv":u5njutev said:
Posting he should get a cheap contract with incentives is BS.

Maybe it won't be what he actually gets, but it should be what is offered based on his abysmal availability.

flv

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":xq5nqref said:
Maybe it won't be what he actually gets, but it should be what is offered based on his abysmal availability.
By all means offer him a cheap contract with incentives. Realistically it would be letting him walk with a 'we tried' sop to the fans.

The question isn't what penny has done in the past but what a team thinks he'll be worth to them for the next 2-3 years. Many teams will look at him as a 'by committee' RB, but it'll only take 1 team to view him as a #1 RB for him to move on.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2ndhe6od said:
pittpnthrs":2ndhe6od said:

He's dominating, though.

If you don't care about that, I find it hard to believe you'd care about other facets of the team.

Dominating? He ran well against the Texans, Bears, and Lions. He had 35 and 39 against the Niners and Rams. I'll tell you what, if he dominates against the Cardinals i'll relent a little.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Decent/modest guarantee with hefty incentives. Don’t let him walk to save minimal gain in return. Has his first major injury ever and takes time to trust that knee after returning when has never experienced something as such. AP helped a lot in coaching him. He’s big while also dynamic, you break a little on what would offer and go heavy on incentives especially with the unknown of what Carson’s future holds. I could see that neck injury going the way of Avril very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm extremely hesitant to sign Penny to anything. Raashad Penny has had issues with motivation, weight and has been even more injury prone than Carson has while he's been a Seahawk. The only deal I'd sign Penny to is an extremely incentive laden one year contract.

Another elephant in the room is the competition Penny has faced. We've been running over teams that have bottom dweller rushing defenses. He's been given huge holes to run though. Against the Rams and 49ers he didn't look very good.

If we do sign Penny, I really want John Schneider and Pete Carroll to really look at the draft and FA for running backs to hedge their Penny bet. Let's all be realistic, Penny is an extremely risky bet at this point. I have a feeling someone will overpay and I just hope it is not us.

kf3339

Reaction score
He only had 35 yards and a 3.5 yard average against the Rams a few weeks ago. He hasn't proven anything to me.

Offer a one year veterans minimum with extra financial incentives for games played and production. If he wants more let him walk.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":362po1a0 said:
Sgt. Largent":362po1a0 said:
oldhawkfan":362po1a0 said:

Per Sgt. Largent:
Two year deal with around 5-6M guaranteed, rest incentives.

That's as far as I'm willing to go with Penny. The good news IMO the rest of the league will feel the same, so I doubt he's going to get bum rushed with big contracts in free agency. RB's just aren't valued like that anymore, especially ones with his injury history.

You are saying a two year deal. In my post I said a 1-2 year prove it deal. It looks to me like you and I are in agreement on resigning Penny along with length of contract.

Yep, and as we've found out this last month Penny sure is motivated to show the league he's good.

So I'd have no problem giving him just enough guaranteed money, but not enough so he continues to stay motivated to hit all the incentives.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1477805634556997636[/tweet]

............................. carry on young man. Carry On !