What should the Seahawks do with Penny (poll)

What should the Seahawks do with Rashaad Penny

• Sign him to a contract extension

Votes: 76 62.8%
  • Transition or Franchise tag him

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Let him walk in free agency

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3gxvk4ar said:
pittpnthrs":3gxvk4ar said:
jeremiah":3gxvk4ar said:
Give me a guy who gives you under 4 yards per carry, that is the definition of a situational back.

Rashaad Penny against good teams

His name isn't Creed Humphrey, therefore he is bad.

Your still upset that the Eskridge pick was wrong arent you?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3imc7ami said:
Maelstrom787":3imc7ami said:
pittpnthrs":3imc7ami said:
jeremiah":3imc7ami said:
Give me a guy who gives you under 4 yards per carry, that is the definition of a situational back.

You're*

Also, no. It's just that the aggressive pessimism wears thin. Dude plays better than any running back in the league recently, puts up 170 yards on the way to a 50 burger on offense, and you come in here with nothing to say other than "Wah he sucks!"

Like shit dude, give it a rest already. Some things can be good even when you're disappointed overall

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1478555156073623555[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1478759918706434051[/tweet]

................ could we be witnessing a late bloomer turning into a superstar?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2kpvl1qr said:
pittpnthrs":2kpvl1qr said:
Maelstrom787":2kpvl1qr said:
pittpnthrs":2kpvl1qr said:

You're*

Also, no. It's just that the aggressive pessimism wears thin. Dude plays better than any running back in the league recently, puts up 170 yards on the way to a 50 burger on offense, and you come in here with nothing to say other than "Wah he sucks!"

Like $h!t dude, give it a rest already. Some things can be good even when you're disappointed overall

Lol. Nobody said he sucks. I just dont think he's the second coming of Barry Sanders like you do. Its been pointed out that he has only feasted on weak teams this season and you got all defensive and butthurt. When he does anything against any team of note, get back to me.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I bet you that if this upcoming game goes on schedule and Waldron has his thinking cap on this game, Penny gets over 100 yards vs Arizona.

Great conversation this thread guys.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jerhawk":fqbeb34u said:
I bet you that if this upcoming game goes on schedule and Waldron has his thinking cap on this game, Penny gets over 100 yards vs Arizona.

Great conversation this thread guys.

I bet he doesnt.

Somos doces

Reaction score
For the record, I'm all for bringing Penny back with a budget-friendly deal that doesn't hurt the club too much if he gets hurt.

That said, I keep seeing the phrase "incentive-based contract," but I don't really know what this means. I presume it means he has a base salary and if he hits certain targets, such as number of games played, carries, yards, scores, etc., he will get paid more.

Do these types of contracts actually exist in the NFL? If so, can someone provide an example or two? Or are they just a concept invented by fans?

Jville

Reaction score
Somos doces":5ldln6n4 said:
For the record, I'm all for bringing Penny back with a budget-friendly deal that doesn't hurt the club too much if he gets hurt.

That said, I keep seeing the phrase "incentive-based contract," but I don't really know what this means. I presume it means he has a base salary and if he hits certain targets, such as number of games played, carries, yards, scores, etc., he will get paid more.

Do these types of contracts actually exist in the NFL? If so, can someone provide an example or two? Or are they just a concept invented by fans?

I present to you a link to the answers for your questions and a whole lot more >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/13/section/6/[/urltargetblank]

Elemas

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1y9dzdlx said:
Extend him for two years with heavy emphasis on production and games played incentives.
Exactly what I would do. But, I can’t help but think some desperate team is going to come along and pay him something good with guarantees.

Weird to even be having this conversation tbh. A month ago, this would’ve been a candidate for crazy post of the year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Incentives aren't that relevant for Penny's contract. They fall into two categories depending on whether they are likely to be earned (LTBE) or not. In the former case, they count against the salary cap immediately, and in the latter they count if a player achieves the incentive. Stuff like workout bonuses and other LTBE targets wouldn't mitigate the salary cap impact and the problem with Penny has never been a lack of incentives.

Penny's injury history has cost him a huge amount of money this off-season. His production while healthy has been better than that of Joe Mixon who recently got a $48 million extension. Penny will be looking at a couple of million at most instead, and that alone is a very powerful motivation that didn't lead to him playing more games - because he's been legitimately injured over the years.

If we can bring Penny back at a reasonable price then that is a no-brainer, but if some other team wants to pay him more than a few million then we need to let him walk. The lesson from observing the NFL is that workhouse RBs don't stay healthy and the optimal strategy is a deep RB rotation rather than paying one guy a bunch of money.

chris98251

Reaction score
Penny is showcasing what he can do now.

Penny is not going to take a prove it contract here when teams that need a RB are watching and going he fits and we can give him 5.5 and a 4 year deal plus bonus etc and fix our problem, all he needs is one.

Elemas

Reaction score
AgentDib":2p7nu0hr said:
Incentives aren't that relevant for Penny's contract. They fall into two categories depending on whether they are likely to be earned (LTBE) or not. In the former case, they count against the salary cap immediately, and in the latter they count if a player achieves the incentive. Stuff like workout bonuses and other LTBE targets wouldn't mitigate the salary cap impact and the problem with Penny has never been a lack of incentives.

Penny's injury history has cost him a huge amount of money this off-season. His production while healthy has been better than that of Joe Mixon who recently got a $48 million extension. Penny will be looking at a couple of million at most instead, and that alone is a very powerful motivation that didn't lead to him playing more games - because he's been legitimately injured over the years.

If we can bring Penny back at a reasonable price then that is a no-brainer, but if some other team wants to pay him more than a few million then we need to let him walk. The lesson from observing the NFL is that workhouse RBs don't stay healthy and the optimal strategy is a deep RB rotation rather than paying one guy a bunch of money.

I disagree that incentives are not relevant but do agree with most of the rest of your statements. An incentive based contract allows us to be competitive with potential offers he may get (if we’re even interested in going that route). I don’t doubt for a second that some team is going to offer him something more guarantee wise than we will. He’s a shiny new toy…NFC offensive player of the week new toy. There are several teams in need at this position.

I’m not saying he has EARNED this newfound relevancy. If he had, we wouldn’t be discussing this as we would’ve picked up his 5th year option.

You can’t really do anything about freak injuries and perhaps I’m wrong but, a guy that has admitted to not putting in the effort to get in shape (like..who does that as a Rookie???) may or may not have discipline issues when it comes to rehab and dealing with injuries. I don’t have proof of this but…I do know that if I were getting paid on what I produced, I’d put a lot more effort in to do what I needed to do.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
What should happen? Let him go or a very team friendly prove it deal.

What will happen? Pete will double down on a stupid draft choice and bid against himself and offer Penny far more than any other team would even think of offering him and maybe even cite some hypothetical team wanted him so we Had to overpay. Penny will last less than a quarter of next season, be underwhelming, but have 2-3 break away runs against bad teams so that the knob slobbers will anoint him the next great RB. All for less than 400 yards rushing next season. Pete and his pride need to GTFO.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":220obuh3 said:

What will happen? Pete will double down on a stupid draft choice and bid against himself and offer Penny far more than any other team would even think of offering him and maybe even cite some hypothetical team wanted him so we Had to overpay. Penny will last less than a quarter of next season, be underwhelming, but have 2-3 break away runs against bad teams so that the knob slobbers will anoint him the next great RB. All for less than 400 yards rushing next season. Pete and his pride need to GTFO.

Woah man. Take it easy. I had to urban dictionary what a knob slobber is, and it's not pretty.

I'll take it you voted for "let him walk in free agency."

You wouldn't want the team to at least offer him an incentive heavy deal?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1c3wg2xs said:
JayhawkMike":1c3wg2xs said:

Woah man. Take it easy. I had to urban dictionary what a knob slobber is, and it's not pretty.

I'll take it you voted for "let him walk in free agency."

You wouldn't want the team to at least offer him an incentive heavy deal?

IMO this isn't the same as other players like Reed and Griffin who left in free agency. DT and CB are big positions of importance and need for most teams.

That's when teams overpay.

RB is a dime a dozen position where there's not a huge need for an often injured 5th year player that hasn't proven he can produce and stay healthy.

So while Penny will certainly garner some interest around the league with teams who need RB's. I can't see any GM giving him more than we'd probably offer, which is a 1-2 year deal with a low amount of guaranteed money and lots of incentives.

nutluck

Reaction score
Somos doces":2pvp8f5m said:

They exists and a recent example is what the Rams gave Odel, his contract is worth anywhere from I think just under 2mil to just over 4 mil. There is other bigger examples of that, but someone else linked a article to it so I won't rehash it, it is fairly common for 1 year deals or deals for older vets, injury prone players etc.

Somos doces

Reaction score
Jville":183gejhr said:
Somos doces":183gejhr said:

I present to you a link to the answers for your questions and a whole lot more >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/13/section/6/[/urltargetblank]

nutluck":183gejhr said:
They exists and a recent example is what the Rams gave Odel, his contract is worth anywhere from I think just under 2mil to just over 4 mil. There is other bigger examples of that, but someone else linked a article to it so I won't rehash it, it is fairly common for 1 year deals or deals for older vets, injury prone players etc.
Thanks, guys. I just hadn't really heard about this happening too often.

The OBJ contract is interesting — the incentives are based on the team reaching certain milestones, not Beckham himself. I'm not sure that approach would be entirely appropriate in Penny's situation, but at least it gives me an idea of how this type of contract works. A "prove-it" deal seems like a better fit here, but maybe adding some individual performance incentives to a team-friendly base salary would help make Penny's decision to re-sign a bit easier.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It’s an interesting question and to some degree a risky decision for the team given Penny’s injury history.

I’d take the risk and re-sign him. The deal will be the deal they agree to. Many will be unhappy, but he could finally return the faith the team had in his ability if he does stay healthy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Throw in some incentives and hope you have to pay them, for obvious reasons.
If it's a fair $ deal, bring him back.

jeremiah

Reaction score
If Penny doesn't get injured on Sunday, and has a nice day of say 60 yars on 18 carries, which seems like a good game. I would sign him to at least $4 million per year for next year, with a raise to $6 Million in 2023 with a guarantee of some sort. He will be a young man still as an NFL runner, and he is one we should not let get away. WE NEED a RB, and they seem to be as hard to find as QB's for Seattle.