What should the Seahawks do with Penny (poll)

What should the Seahawks do with Rashaad Penny

• Sign him to a contract extension

Votes: 76 62.8%
  • Transition or Franchise tag him

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Let him walk in free agency

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":139iz1hk said:
3 games doesn't make up for 4 years of non stop issues. Good luck to him.

:ditto:

I'd rather have a B level talent that will consistently be on the field that the team can set gameplans and chemistry with vs an A level talent that will show up 1/3 of the season. Same applied to Carson and I said the same thing before his extension as well.

justafan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":21v2pn16 said:
onepicknick1":21v2pn16 said:
We'll see against AZ if he breaks 125 he might be legit if he doesn't he did great against bad teams.

This is still the NFL. Even against bad teams, racking up consistent 130 yard games is a pretty ridiculous tear.

Not sustainable, but certainly adds to how ruthlessly effective he's been when he plays. He's averaging well over 5 YPC on his career.

Exactly. If he doesnt get 130 yards doesnt mean he sucks. He has proven he can do it. The speed and vision have always been there we just need the Oline to keep it up. An even if he doesn't get the yards he changes the way the defense will play us. Less 2 deep more man and thats the goal.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
justafan":3unynwtg said:
Maelstrom787":3unynwtg said:
onepicknick1":3unynwtg said:
We'll see against AZ if he breaks 125 he might be legit if he doesn't he did great against bad teams.

This is still the NFL. Even against bad teams, racking up consistent 130 yard games is a pretty ridiculous tear.

Not sustainable, but certainly adds to how ruthlessly effective he's been when he plays. He's averaging well over 5 YPC on his career.

Exactly. If he doesnt get 130 yards doesnt mean he sucks. He has proven he can do it. The speed and vision have always been there we just need the Oline to keep it up. An even if he doesn't get the yards he changes the way the defense will play us. Less 2 deep more man and thats the goal.

Nobody claimed he sucks, but somebody did claim he was dominating. Once a few people mentioned that there was context behind the so called domination, the backpedalling and excuses started.

justafan

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":je9yib9r said:
justafan":je9yib9r said:
Maelstrom787":je9yib9r said:
onepicknick1":je9yib9r said:

Nobody claimed he sucks, but somebody did claim he was dominating. Once a few people mentioned that there was context behind the so called domination, the backpedalling and excuses started.

Many people have said he sucks. Its frustrating seeing players hurt but people take it over the line. Very few get to the NFL without being tough.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1cqlxfm0 said:
justafan":1cqlxfm0 said:
Maelstrom787":1cqlxfm0 said:
onepicknick1":1cqlxfm0 said:

The context behind the domination is that he has been, by far, the most effective running back in the NFL for the last quarter of this season.

That's it. That's the context.

If you want to excuse that with "well, those run defenses are bad!" I mean, sure? Okay? You say the OL is shit too. Does it not even out?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
justafan":1hcoubs5 said:
Maelstrom787":1hcoubs5 said:
onepicknick1":1hcoubs5 said:

No he hasn't, neither on the ability to stay healthy for an entire season, or consistently run the ball effectively over a long enough period of time to warrant a new contract beyond a heavily incentivized one.

You guy have spent an entire page arguing about nothing. You paying him or not? How are you paying him? What are you offering him?

That's the question. We all know Penny has talent.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I like the incentive/performance skewed contract comments.

Basically a prove it contract would be the thing.

Like the dude but can't stay on the field.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2o3vk3pz said:
pittpnthrs":2o3vk3pz said:
justafan":2o3vk3pz said:
Maelstrom787":2o3vk3pz said:

The context behind the domination is that he has been, by far, the most effective running back in the NFL for the last quarter of this season.

If you want to excuse that with "well, those run defenses are bad!" I mean, sure? Okay? You say the OL is $h!t too. Does it not even out?

The context is that the Seahawks played three of the worst teams in the league in that last quarter and thats where his big numbers came from. Yes, the Oline is bad and will almost assuredly be so again next season, so if you want to resign a chronically injured RB who only performs well against bottom tier teams, knock yourself out. Just dont make him out to be more than he really is. Like I said, I dont care if he's resigned or not. Either way is meaningless to me.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":35xcdirj said:
pittpnthrs":35xcdirj said:
justafan":35xcdirj said:
Maelstrom787":35xcdirj said:

If you want to excuse that with "well, those run defenses are bad!" I mean, sure? Okay? You say the OL is $h!t too. Does it not even out?
That is a highly reductionist point of view, lacking in any sort of nuance.

Penny's big games came against these teams, the numbers next to them indicate their rushing defense ranks:

32. Houston Texans
28. Detroit Lions
24. Chicago Bears

You cannot overlook just choose to ignore the competition. Of course players will look better playing against inferior competition.

Now, what has Penny done against better competition?

Against the 49ers and Rams who rank 6th and 9th, Penny was unable to even break 40 yards rushing. You can't ignore the large discrepancies between the good teams and bad teams. Arizona will be a good litmus test as they rank 11th in rushing defense. If Penny comes out struggling against the Cardinals, I think it's safe to say that the bottom feeder argument holds significant weight.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":24h9mf2n said:
Maelstrom787":24h9mf2n said:
pittpnthrs":24h9mf2n said:
justafan":24h9mf2n said:

Penny's big games came against these teams, the numbers next to them indicate their rushing defense ranks:

32. Houston Texans
28. Detroit Lions
24. Chicago Bears

You cannot overlook just choose to ignore the competition. Of course players will look better playing against inferior competition.

Against the 49ers and Rams who rank 6th and 9th, Penny was unable to even break 40 yards rushing. You can't ignore the large discrepancies between the good teams and bad teams. Arizona will be a good litmus test as they rank 11th in rushing defense. If Penny comes out struggling against the Cardinals, I think it's safe to say that the bottom feeder argument holds significant weight.

Username checks out.

Keep wringing your hands over nuance and reductionism as you use extremely basic defensive yardage rankings to deny that which is CLEAR - that Penny has, by far, been the most effective back in the league over the past quarter of the season. Not even a discussion.

Total yardage is a really trash trash trash stat to use in this instance, as bad teams get run on more.

Yards per carry is more accurate, and also makes each team slightly better in the overall run defense rankings than you're portraying them.

You also go on and on about 39 yards, yet fail to mention Rashaad only received 11 carries, averaging out to a 3.5 YPC. Not like he was getting completely stonewalled as your surface-level, barely-there take would suggest.

If a 3.5 YPC performance is your reason for invalidating his nearly 6 YPC overall season and nearly 600 yards already amassed on the ground, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Can't even imagine galaxy-braining myself into thinking a guy averaging 5.4 YPC career and 5.8 this season simply can't run against above-average defenses. Simone Biles type mental gymnastics.

justafan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2h00wvft said:
justafan":2h00wvft said:
Maelstrom787":2h00wvft said:
onepicknick1":2h00wvft said:

No he hasn't, neither on the ability to stay healthy for an entire season, or consistently run the ball effectively over a long enough period of time to warrant a new contract beyond a heavily incentivized one.

You guy have spent an entire page arguing about nothing. You paying him or not? How are you paying him? What are you offering him?

That's the question. We all know Penny has talent.

He hasnt proven he can stay healthy but a lot of that is luck. But he has proven to me he has the talent to be a good back in this league. I felt that way before this year. As far as signing him, I already said I think he will be above what we will pay.
I would sign him for the numbers you posted. I think he is north of that though. But my priority would be on OT and C.

Who cares what we argue about. Should we start a Wilson Shackled by Pete thread havent had one of those in a minute?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2pfy3l16 said:
Extend him for two years with heavy emphasis on production and games played incentives.
This right here ^
If he produces, great, if he fizzles out, he's gone.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":ohjy1a62 said:
Spin Doctor":ohjy1a62 said:
Maelstrom787":ohjy1a62 said:
pittpnthrs":ohjy1a62 said:

32. Houston Texans
28. Detroit Lions
24. Chicago Bears

Username checks out.

Keep wringing your hands over nuance and reductionism as you use extremely basic defensive yardage rankings to deny that which is CLEAR - that Penny has, by far, been the most effective back in the league over the past quarter of the season. Not even a discussion.

Total yardage is a really trash trash trash stat to use in this instance, as bad teams get run on more.

Yards per carry is more accurate, and also makes each team slightly better in the overall run defense rankings than you're portraying them.

You also go on and on about 39 yards, yet fail to mention Rashaad only received 11 carries, averaging out to a 3.5 YPC. Not like he was getting completely stonewalled as your surface-level, barely-there take would suggest.

If a 3.5 YPC performance is your reason for invalidating his nearly 6 YPC overall season and nearly 600 yards already amassed on the ground, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Can't even imagine galaxy-braining myself into thinking a guy averaging 5.4 YPC career and 5.8 this season simply can't
Answer the question, how many of those yards came against a good defense? You're doing the same exact thing that you're accusing me of doing when you're glomming onto the YPC statistic. Even by the metric you set, these three teams are among the worst in YPC. The three teams rank this high in YPC: 21th, 22th, and 30th. Your argument about them "not being as bad as they look" holds no water.

They're near the bottom of the league in YPC and yards, okay, why don't we go even further? In TD's the three teams rank as follows: 31st, 26th, 12th, the 12th -- the last one being the Bears.

These teams are near the bottom of the league in every major category, Yards, YPC and TD's, the lone exception being the Bears and their lack of TD's given up. They really aren't any better than I'm making them out to be. They are what they are, bottom tier rushing defenses.

YPC is not a great statistic either. Felix Jones lead the league in YPC, twice. Conversely, Marshawn Lynch came onto the Seahawks and averaged 3.5 yards per carry. That same year Justin Forsett averaged 4.4 YPC on the Seahawks. That makes Justin Forsett the better player by your logic, right? Wrong, despite the lower ypc you could see a difference in the two players talents. Forsett wasn't bad per say, but he needed space, where Marshawn Lynch could do both well. He could pound the ball into stacked boxes and still create yardage, while not losing yardage.

Once again, your argument is lacking some nuance. I'm not saying you're wrong per-say, I'm saying we need more data to back-up Penny, given his underwhelming NFL career thus far. We've seen guys such as Thomas Rawls look unstoppable for short periods of times. When the bulk of his stats are against 3 bottom feeders, that isn't exactly very much to go on.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3fmxvv53 said:
Maelstrom787":3fmxvv53 said:
Spin Doctor":3fmxvv53 said:
Maelstrom787":3fmxvv53 said:

32. Houston Texans
28. Detroit Lions
24. Chicago Bears

Username checks out.

Can't even imagine galaxy-braining myself into thinking a guy averaging 5.4 YPC career and 5.8 this season simply can't
Answer the question, how many of those yards came against a good defense? You're doing the same exact thing that you're accusing me of doing when you're glomming onto the YPC statistic. Even by the metric you set, these three teams are among the worst in YPC. The three teams rank this high in YPC: 21th, 22th, and 30th. Your argument about them "not being as bad as they look" holds no water.

They're near the bottom of the league in YPC and yards, okay, why don't we go even further? In TD's the three teams rank as follows: 31st, 26th, 12th, the 12th -- the last one being the Bears.

These teams are near the bottom of the league in every major category, Yards, YPC and TD's, the lone exception being the Bears and their lack of TD's given up. They really aren't any better than I'm making them out to be. They are what they are, bottom tier rushing defenses.

YPC is not a great statistic either. Felix Jones lead the league in YPC, twice. Conversely, Marshawn Lynch came onto the Seahawks and averaged 3.5 yards per carry. That same year Justin Forsett averaged 4.4 YPC on the Seahawks. That makes Justin Forsett the better player by your logic, right? Wrong, despite the lower ypc you could see a difference in the two players talents. Forsett wasn't bad per say, but he needed space, where Marshawn Lynch could do both well. He could pound the ball into stacked boxes and still create yardage, while not losing yardage.

Once again, your argument is lacking some nuance. I'm not saying you're wrong per-say, I'm saying we need more data to back-up Penny, given his underwhelming NFL career thus far. We've seen guys such as Thomas Rawls look unstoppable for short periods of times. When the bulk of his stats are against 3 bottom feeders, that isn't exactly very much to go on.

My argument isn't really that Penny is the back of the future or the best option as a lead back going forward. It's simply that his performance during the last quarter of this season has been fairly dominant, and I find it hard to argue to the contrary.

I recognize this is small sample, but he's always performed well when he's actually been able to play, which has been close to never.

I fully recognize that he's been an overall disappointment and cannot argue otherwise, but to say he only performs against poor defenses is to fully disregard his career prior to the past 4 games, which was my objection to pitt's point. It's not like he's unilaterally shitting the bed whenever a team ranks as a decent run defense.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
When someone rarely plays but shows some promise you give them prove it contracts not guaranteed contracts.

Not that it matters what we think anyway but I don't think teams are going to be running out to offer penny guaranteed money. Had he not shown something these last few games he would likely not have even been offered a contract at all.
Chris Carson accomplished far more in his time at RB and did not get a high dollar guaranteed contract by other teams last offseason.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1q2ek0x0 said:
When someone rarely plays but shows some promise you give them prove it contracts not guaranteed contracts.

Not that it matters what we think anyway but I don't think teams are going to be running out to offer penny guaranteed money. Had he not shown something these last few games he would likely not have even been offered a contract at all.
Chris Carson accomplished far more in his time at RB and did not get a high dollar guaranteed contract by other teams last offseason.

Chris Carson play in 49 games in 5 years. 3 of those years he was above average. He is finished, his money can be moved to Lucky Penny, as he is the best hope ON THE ROSTER for the future. His YPC shows he is a star in the making, if only he remains healthy. He is healthier and younger than Carson, so it is his time. If you want a bruiser as a back, get one that moves a pile for third and short. If you want an inspired and productive running game, you keep Lucky Penny and keep him healthy.

When Shaun Alexander went from 4.5 YPC to 3.9, everyone said he was done. Yet you belittle the YPC that actually define excellence. Give me a guy who gives you under 4 yards per carry, that is the definition of a situational back. Over 4.3 and you have something special.

YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
2019 Seattle Seahawks 1 12 34 2.8 15 1 2 16.67 0 0 0
2018 Oakland Raiders 6 90 376 4.2 52 3 20 22.22 1 1 0
2017 Oakland Raiders 15 207 891 4.3 51 7 44 21.26 5 1 1
2015 Seattle Seahawks 7 111 417 3.8 24 3 29 26.13 1 0 0
2014 Seattle Seahawks 16 280 1306 4.7 79 13 65 23.21 7 1 1
2013 Seattle Seahawks 16 301 1257 4.2 43 12 68 22.59 6 1 3
2012 Seattle Seahawks 16 315 1590 5.1 77 11 68 21.59 9 2 4
2011 Seattle Seahawks 15 285 1204 4.2 47 12 63 22.11 4 2 3

Which of these years were productive for Lynch?? The injury year of 2015 or the over the hill man of 2019?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your so worked up about. I'm all for bringing Penny back on a prove it deal. I just really doubt any NFL team will be offering him guaranteed money. For some reason teams don't usually dump large amounts of guaranteed cash to RB's who hardly play over a 4 year period.

I simply used Carson as an example of what RB's get in free agency. He without a doubt accomplished far more than penny and he didn't get an offer for big guaranteed money from any team besides the Seahawks and even that contract was very reasonable.
I am not arguing that Carson is the future I was simply pointing out where he was valued in free agency.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2lo3ecql said:
I fully recognize that he's been an overall disappointment and cannot argue otherwise, but to say he only performs against poor defenses is to fully disregard his career prior to the past 4 games, which was my objection to pitt's point. It's not like he's unilaterally $h!t the bed whenever a team ranks as a decent run defense.

Except he has this season. Dee Jay Dallas had a 5.1 ypc on 8 carries against the Rams to Pennys 3.5 on 11 carries. Maybe the wrong back is getting the carries. If I had the energy I would go back and see how Penny faired against good teams when he did play, but I dont feel like dragging stats up from 3 years ago. I have a pretty good idea how that would turn out though. The fact of the matter is that he's only been successful against garbage teams this season and thats in black and white. I would never classify a player as dominant when thats the case.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
jeremiah":3n8opekf said:
Give me a guy who gives you under 4 yards per carry, that is the definition of a situational back.

Rashaad Penny against good teams

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1ezeb1p1 said:
jeremiah":1ezeb1p1 said:
Give me a guy who gives you under 4 yards per carry, that is the definition of a situational back.

Rashaad Penny against good teams

His name isn't Creed Humphrey, therefore he is bad.