What should the Seahawks do with Penny (poll)

What should the Seahawks do with Rashaad Penny

• Sign him to a contract extension

Votes: 76 62.8%
  • Transition or Franchise tag him

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • Let him walk in free agency

Votes: 31 25.6%

• Total voters

chris98251

Reaction score
jeremiah":v2wqo575 said:
If Penny doesn't get injured on Sunday, and has a nice day of say 60 yars on 18 carries, which seems like a good game. I would sign him to at least $4 million per year for next year, with a raise to $6 Million in 2023 with a guarantee of some sort. He will be a young man still as an NFL runner, and he is one we should not let get away. WE NEED a RB, and they seem to be as hard to find as QB's for Seattle.

Sherman Smith
Curt Warner
Derrick Fenner
Chris Warren
Shaun Alexander
David Sims
Ahman Green
Dan Doornink
Ricky Watters
John L Williams
Marshaun Lynch

I think our Running back history is pretty good.

xray

Reaction score
He will probably get back to his actual production level vs AZ ; but if he has another good outing , his handlers will want a long term extension @ premium $ . If the Hawks can't talk him down , they will let him skate . Consistency is everything ; and he has been anything but consistent except for injuries . IMO

jeremiah

Reaction score
chris98251":att8tdm2 said:
jeremiah":att8tdm2 said:
If Penny doesn't get injured on Sunday, and has a nice day of say 60 yars on 18 carries, which seems like a good game. I would sign him to at least $4 million per year for next year, with a raise to $6 Million in 2023 with a guarantee of some sort. He will be a young man still as an NFL runner, and he is one we should not let get away. WE NEED a RB, and they seem to be as hard to find as QB's for Seattle.

Sherman Smith
Curt Warner
Derrick Fenner
Chris Warren
Shaun Alexander
David Sims
Ahman Green
Dan Doornink
Ricky Watters
John L Williams
Marshaun Lynch

8 years now since Lynch was a great back, 17 years ago since Shaun... it has been a long while. It is time to draft O linemen if you can, it will be late before we can get a back in the coming draft. Lucky Penny is the REAL DEAL, he shredded the AZ defense. How many yards did he run for this year? In 5 games. It takes some players time to blossom. Lucky Penny is a possible Pro Bowl back in the future....

jeremiah

Reaction score
jeremiah":b5npozc6 said:
chris98251":b5npozc6 said:
jeremiah":b5npozc6 said:

Sherman Smith
Curt Warner
Derrick Fenner
Chris Warren
Shaun Alexander
David Sims
Ahman Green
Dan Doornink
Ricky Watters
John L Williams
Marshaun Lynch

8 years now since Lynch was a great back, 17 years ago since Shaun... it has been a long while. It is time to draft O linemen if you can, it will be late before we can get a back in the coming draft. Lucky Penny is the REAL DEAL, he shredded the AZ defense. How many yards did he run for this year? In 5 games. It takes some players time to blossom. Lucky Penny is a possible Pro Bowl back in the future....

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Did today's performance change anyone's opinion that previously wanted him gone?

chris98251

Reaction score
What the last few games have shown.

He still has the speed and ability to play past the injuries.

He has the game to play in the league with a decent line.

He can be motivated, now the question is that AP or the payday he can get, that is the real question.

Going forward, does he maintain that mentality after a payday.

Can he be counted on to not be on an IR list for a severe injury, yes this is not all his fault, but you have rolled the dice for 4 years and are getting clean up winnings right now.

Then what kind of payday is the league going to offer versus what the Seahawks will offer. He has not just been a good back these last weeks he has looked All Pro level. His agent is going to market that you can bet since he is now healthy.

He is going to leverage himself in a Derick Henry class with his numbers even if he is a different style of back, but will market himself as an every down back.

He is not going to take a prove it deal, I will also bet he will want a injury Guarantee if he is smart. I know I would.

So you now have to look at a good base salary, then a ton of incentive clauses that can push him to a 15 million bracket.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3kmpgigl said:
Did today's performance change anyone's opinion that previously wanted him gone?

Not at all.

And that's because my opposition to retaining Penny is not based on whether Penny is good or not. Personally, I think he's talented and dynamic.

But that doesn't matter in the shadow of my conclusion that he is a severe injury risk. With his recent performance he will likely get paid this off season. Good for him! Hopefully the decision is made easy for the Seahawks and some other team overpays for.

chris98251

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":xvyc4lpk said:
Well Pete and John drafted him so he has a good chance to be back.

They will do what they always do, say go and check out the market, get back to us and we will see what we can do.

We NEVER go out and set the market for a player.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":26a3v9t5 said:
Northwest Seahawk":26a3v9t5 said:

They will do what they always do, say go and check out the market, get back to us and we will see what we can do.

We NEVER go out and set the market for a player.

True. I also wonder if declining the 5th year option will give Penny motivation to leave too.

Granted, the Seahawks did the right thing at the time imo as he was being labeled a bust already. But it wouldn't surprise me if that will give him an axe to grind this offseason.

Pete and John will tell Penny to do what's best for him

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1u56xypt said:

They can also say truthfully that the team stuck by him through his travails. I realize that money talks and agents are who they are, but as a man Penny should realize this. I say a 2-yr incentive laden contract and see what happens.

Somos doces

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":3f72fe2m said:
Northwest Seahawk":3f72fe2m said:

They can also say truthfully that the team stuck by him through his travails. I realize that money talks and agents are who they are, but as a man Penny should realize this. I say a 2-yr incentive laden contract and see what happens.
This seems about right to me. The first year to prove the injuries are a thing of the past (and if so, Penny should shine) and the second year to either cement his status as a top RB in the league or indicate his career as a productive back in the NFL is drawing to a close.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":20khjfnn said:

He can be motivated, now the question is that AP or the payday he can get, that is the real question.

Can he be counted on to not be on an IR list for a severe injury, yes this is not all his fault, but you have rolled the dice for 4 years and are getting clean up winnings right now.

Then what kind of payday is the league going to offer versus what the Seahawks will offer. He has not just been a good back these last weeks he has looked All Pro level. His agent is going to market that you can bet since he is now healthy.

He is going to leverage himself in a Derick Henry class with his numbers even if he is a different style of back, but will market himself as an every down back.

He is not going to take a prove it deal, I will also bet he will want a injury Guarantee if he is smart. I know I would.

So you now have to look at a good base salary, then a ton of incentive clauses that can push him to a 15 million bracket.

$15 million? If so, let him walk.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":4ncu4r3a said:
chris98251":4ncu4r3a said:

$15 million? If so, let him walk.

2021 top 10

1. Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey: $16 million
2. Saints RB Alvin Kamara: $15 million
2. Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott: $15 million
4. Vikings RB Dalvin Cook: $12.6 million
5. Titans RB Derrick Henry: $12.5 million
6. Browns RB Nick Chubb: $12.2 million
7. Packers RB Aaron Jones: $12 million
7. Bengals QB Joe Mixon: $12 million
9. Broncos RB Melvin Gordon: $8 million
10. Giants RB Saquon Barkley: $7.8 million

Yes that is what he is going to target, or his agent based on his Healthy productivity.

evergreen

Reaction score
That was the litmus test. He shredded bad teams. Let’s see what he can do against someone good. Oh 190 yards. Hmmm. Both hard yards and long runs. Plus game winning runs when they know it’s coming.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Finishing out the year really strong, and most importantly without injury, I do think has elevated his stock no doubt at this point. Keep in mind this is his longest streak of playing in his career however that just happens to be when he is playing for his football life. One wonders why its taken him 4 years to get here but the talent is certainly there.

sutz

Reaction score
Someone will give him $15-20 mill over 4 years. Might as well be us. :twisted:

Latest posts