Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire Pete

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:48 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Except that made complete sense last January.

    Wilson was not being used well. It looked for all the world that he would have done better under an offensive coach, and we were already losing defensive effectiveness. Betting on Wilson was a reasonable risk and betting on Wilson would have meant moving away from Pete.

    This year somewhat indicated that the 'Let Wilson carry the team like Aaron Rodgers did" approach was not going to work. He had the chance instead of better results, they got worse.

    But pretending that there was not a reasonable hint that this team would be better focusing more on what Wilson did well and leveraging it? That isn't all honest.

    There were plenty of reasons that looking at another coach was a reasonable gamble, because back then,Pete was not open to giving Wilson the keys to this team. In hindsight, maybe Pete was right - but last January betting on Wilson vs betting on Pete was not an insane stance.



    If the Seahawks would have listened to you the whole organization would have been turned upside down... the Hawks would have not made the playoffs let alone beat the Rams...

    You don't have a leg to stand on... Not one of your arguments carry any credibility... and before you start talking about how I'm overly optimistic and don't know what I'm talking about let me remind you I'm probably the only person on the board that said when the Seahawk D was the very worst in the league that they would turn it around and be one of the best in the league and almost everybody thought I was crazy... How crazy am I now?

    Dude you're clearly a very intelligent person and the premise that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs is a very easy general position to take. Not only does it apply to the Seahawks but it applies to every team in the NFL.. The NFL is the most competitive organization in the world... the odds of a team winning the SB are far more than a team losing in the playoffs... So to take the position that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs you're riding the odds... and that's not brilliant IMO...

    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:54 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Except that made complete sense last January.

    Wilson was not being used well. It looked for all the world that he would have done better under an offensive coach, and we were already losing defensive effectiveness. Betting on Wilson was a reasonable risk and betting on Wilson would have meant moving away from Pete.

    This year somewhat indicated that the 'Let Wilson carry the team like Aaron Rodgers did" approach was not going to work. He had the chance instead of better results, they got worse.

    But pretending that there was not a reasonable hint that this team would be better focusing more on what Wilson did well and leveraging it? That isn't all honest.

    There were plenty of reasons that looking at another coach was a reasonable gamble, because back then,Pete was not open to giving Wilson the keys to this team. In hindsight, maybe Pete was right - but last January betting on Wilson vs betting on Pete was not an insane stance.


    JFC, this place.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 630
    Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:57 pm
  • Who do you want to replace Carroll as head coach?
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:57 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Except that made complete sense last January.

    Wilson was not being used well. It looked for all the world that he would have done better under an offensive coach, and we were already losing defensive effectiveness. Betting on Wilson was a reasonable risk and betting on Wilson would have meant moving away from Pete.

    This year somewhat indicated that the 'Let Wilson carry the team like Aaron Rodgers did" approach was not going to work. He had the chance instead of better results, they got worse.

    But pretending that there was not a reasonable hint that this team would be better focusing more on what Wilson did well and leveraging it? That isn't all honest.

    There were plenty of reasons that looking at another coach was a reasonable gamble, because back then,Pete was not open to giving Wilson the keys to this team. In hindsight, maybe Pete was right - but last January betting on Wilson vs betting on Pete was not an insane stance.



    If the Seahawks would have listened to you the whole organization would have been turned upside down... the Hawks would have not made the playoffs let alone beat the Rams...

    You don't have a leg to stand on... Not one of your arguments carry any credibility... and before you start talking about how I'm overly optimistic and don't know what I'm talking about let me remind you I'm probably the only person on the board that said when the Seahawk D was the very worst in the league that they would turn it around and be one of the best in the league and almost everybody thought I was crazy... How crazy am I now?

    Dude you're clearly a very intelligent person and the premise that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs is a very easy general position to take. Not only does it apply to the Seahawks but it applies to every team in the NFL.. The NFL is the most competitive organization in the world... the odds of a team winning the SB are far more than a team losing in the playoffs... So to take the position that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs you're riding the odds... and that's not brilliant IMO...

    LTH


    TBF, I also thought you were crazy.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 630
    Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:01 pm
  • Hockey Guy wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Except that made complete sense last January.

    Wilson was not being used well. It looked for all the world that he would have done better under an offensive coach, and we were already losing defensive effectiveness. Betting on Wilson was a reasonable risk and betting on Wilson would have meant moving away from Pete.

    This year somewhat indicated that the 'Let Wilson carry the team like Aaron Rodgers did" approach was not going to work. He had the chance instead of better results, they got worse.

    But pretending that there was not a reasonable hint that this team would be better focusing more on what Wilson did well and leveraging it? That isn't all honest.

    There were plenty of reasons that looking at another coach was a reasonable gamble, because back then,Pete was not open to giving Wilson the keys to this team. In hindsight, maybe Pete was right - but last January betting on Wilson vs betting on Pete was not an insane stance.



    If the Seahawks would have listened to you the whole organization would have been turned upside down... the Hawks would have not made the playoffs let alone beat the Rams...

    You don't have a leg to stand on... Not one of your arguments carry any credibility... and before you start talking about how I'm overly optimistic and don't know what I'm talking about let me remind you I'm probably the only person on the board that said when the Seahawk D was the very worst in the league that they would turn it around and be one of the best in the league and almost everybody thought I was crazy... How crazy am I now?

    Dude you're clearly a very intelligent person and the premise that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs is a very easy general position to take. Not only does it apply to the Seahawks but it applies to every team in the NFL.. The NFL is the most competitive organization in the world... the odds of a team winning the SB are far more than a team losing in the playoffs... So to take the position that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs you're riding the odds... and that's not brilliant IMO...

    LTH


    TBF, I also thought you were crazy.


    Yeah I did too. I thought LTH was on LSD
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    Hockey Guy wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Except that made complete sense last January.

    Wilson was not being used well. It looked for all the world that he would have done better under an offensive coach, and we were already losing defensive effectiveness. Betting on Wilson was a reasonable risk and betting on Wilson would have meant moving away from Pete.

    This year somewhat indicated that the 'Let Wilson carry the team like Aaron Rodgers did" approach was not going to work. He had the chance instead of better results, they got worse.

    But pretending that there was not a reasonable hint that this team would be better focusing more on what Wilson did well and leveraging it? That isn't all honest.

    There were plenty of reasons that looking at another coach was a reasonable gamble, because back then,Pete was not open to giving Wilson the keys to this team. In hindsight, maybe Pete was right - but last January betting on Wilson vs betting on Pete was not an insane stance.



    If the Seahawks would have listened to you the whole organization would have been turned upside down... the Hawks would have not made the playoffs let alone beat the Rams...

    You don't have a leg to stand on... Not one of your arguments carry any credibility... and before you start talking about how I'm overly optimistic and don't know what I'm talking about let me remind you I'm probably the only person on the board that said when the Seahawk D was the very worst in the league that they would turn it around and be one of the best in the league and almost everybody thought I was crazy... How crazy am I now?

    Dude you're clearly a very intelligent person and the premise that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs is a very easy general position to take. Not only does it apply to the Seahawks but it applies to every team in the NFL.. The NFL is the most competitive organization in the world... the odds of a team winning the SB are far more than a team losing in the playoffs... So to take the position that the Seahawks will lose in the playoffs you're riding the odds... and that's not brilliant IMO...

    LTH


    TBF, I also thought you were crazy.


    Yeah I did too. I thought LTH was on LSD


    It doesn't mean that I'm a brilliant football guy cause I'm not... there are plenty of guys on this board that know more about football than I do...I just recognize that what's happening in Seattle right now with Pete Carroll is a really special thing...what he is doing with the way he is approaching the game is ground breaking in the since that he has found attributes that are changing the way things are done in the league...Its as simple as that...


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:17 pm
  • Well that's something to hang your hat on. You had confidence and faith in Pete to turn the defense around.

    People like me were freaking out and thinking the sky was falling. I wanted Norton ran out of town. You and Welshers and others believed in him through all the adversity. I think that's awesome.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:23 pm
  • It's just pouring outside right now.
    Thanks a lot Pete
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17116
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:24 pm
  • We don't know they turned the defense around.

    We know the results have gotten incredibly better.

    But we also know we have faced several backups and at least 2 QBs that have been permanently benched.

    I do think that DJ Reed has massively improved this secondary, and some of that is bleeding in. And we were facing some very good offenses earlier. So we are probably not the worst of all time like we were. And we did go from one of the worst pass rushes in the league to one of the top 5.

    But we have still faced a group of godawful QBs, and unsurprisingly our defense has gotten 'better'.

    But to pretend we are out of the woods and there is no issue with the DC? Let's hope for the best but maybe expecting that kind of change is a bit much.

    Since one of the issues with Pete and one of the reasons we tend to get outcoached in the playoffs is our tendency to cling onto below average coordinators - fixing the Norton issue would be huge.

    I hope it happened. But he was never good before, so it feels reasonable to wait until we face a decent QB before claiming things are fixed.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4768
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:02 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Nunya,

    The moment I put the multiple roster rankings up, the entire thread devolves into you arguing that this source isn't good for X reason, or DVOA not counting, or this isn't applicable, or whatever.

    So I used your source. Then you argued against your own source.

    You keep setting up weird strawman arguments and knocking them down. Not sure what you are arguing at this point or if you even know.

    I appreciate the discourse. You are just veering all over the place and diving deep into minor points that aren't really relevant to the key of the discussion.


    So let me get this straight.

    1. You claim that PC under-achieves in the playoffs based on our high roster ranking.
    2. A roster ranking YOU claim exists and shows us as a #5-#7 team.
    3. However, you do not want to produce proof that we have a roster ranked #5-#7 under the lame excuse that some would divert to the validity of a roster ranking that may or may not exist.

    I would think that a raster ranking from a normal source shouldn't been too big of an issue. After all, they are subjective.

    I'm not the one all over the place bro. I agree that EPSN had the Seahawks roster ranked at #15 at the beginning of the season. A source that I produced. Not arguing that one bit.

    I have been very consist in asking for proof of your claim of our current roster rating. I would also like to ask why you would demand that a coach perform better than that roster ranking bar you set and finish higher than their #5-#7 rank (that you claim)....and if they do not they are "under-performing".

    So let's simplify.

    Does Carroll improve the roster? Obviously yes.

    Is this a key strength of his that most coaches cannot consistently deliver like results on? Yes.

    If you want to argue that then Carroll's faults are not offset by these strengths because his faults don't hold us back? Ok....years of watching him seems to counter that but whatever.


    I have never once argued against the fact that PC is very good at improving the roster. That, is the strawman that YOU seem to constantly want to build. That is nothing more than you deflecting from your assertion that the roster is ranked as high as you claim.....something you still have not provided any evidence of and avoid all request to do so.

    My argument was you cannot get rid of Pete for not getting the results that a #5 roster brings, because without Pete the roster is not #5. What is yours?

    My second argument is that with Pete, we will play like the crappier roster we were (not #5) because his process works in the regular season but falls apart when facing better teams/coaches in the playoffs.

    Is that what you are arguing against?


    My argument is that you are pulling the roster ranking number out of your arse....and are then building your whole argument that PC under-performs in post-season based on that bogus roster ranking.

    By the way, simple Google gets you this quote:
    "The Seattle Seahawks are ranked No. 7 in ESPN's Football Power Index ahead of the 2020 NFL season."

    Or go to Lineups.com. Or betting sites. fantasy football ranking sites. Madden. .....the list is longer than some of my posts.


    Stop changing the goal post. You are not basing your claim off of Power rankings. Your argument has been that PC has a roster of skilled individual which results in a high ROSTER RANKING and that PC under-performs with that high ranking roster once he reaches the playoffs. Then you are using that claim of self-produce evidence of under performance as an argument that he will NEVER reach the Conference Play-offs.

    All the while ignoring the fact that PC play-off record is comparable to any other coach in the league.

    While also expecting a #5 team based on roster (by your claim) to out-perform the #1, #2, #3, and #4 teams by roster ranking and not doing so is in your world "under-performing".
    Nunya
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 212
    Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:29 pm
  • Nunya,

    I see your problem. I gave you my argument. You still couldn't figure it out even though it was literally written out in 2 sentences. You invented a new argument and then decided to argue against it. I don't want to insult you but it is a stupid circle and probably boring for other people to read.

    I gave you several sources to check yourself and then even a power ranking (which is based on the roster since none of the games were played yet). You didn't like that ranking. Again, it depends upon what you are going to consider a 'valid source' which is a silly game to play. Online peeing contests are dumb and it makes no sense to create one of those.

    So we will go with your last point, to at least try to preserve some coherence and get back to the topic.

    "While also expecting a #5 team based on roster (by your claim) to out-perform the #1, #2, #3, and #4 teams by roster ranking and not doing so is in your world "under-performing".

    Is expecting to win a single division playoff game, as the #5 roster (or even #7), with a top three elite QB and one of the better RB and WR groups in the NFL...too high a bar? Especially considering near half of the top 5 teams are not even in your conference?

    Just be happy we won the division and good with winning a wildcard game? Never going farther in over 5 years is to be expected?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4768
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:43 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Nunya,

    I see your problem. I gave you my argument. You still couldn't figure it out even though it was literally written out in 2 sentences. You invented a new argument and then decided to argue against it. I don't want to insult you but it is a stupid circle and probably boring for other people to read.

    I gave you several sources to check yourself and then even a power ranking (which is based on the roster since none of the games were played yet). You didn't like that ranking. Again, it depends upon what you are going to consider a 'valid source' which is a silly game to play. Online peeing contests are dumb and it makes no sense to create one of those.

    So we will go with your last point, to at least try to preserve some coherence and get back to the topic.


    Ok....so you are going to continue to dodge anything to back up your claim.

    "While also expecting a #5 team based on roster (by your claim) to out-perform the #1, #2, #3, and #4 teams by roster ranking and not doing so is in your world "under-performing".

    Is expecting to win a single division playoff game, as the #5 roster (or even #7), with a top three elite QB and one of the better RB and WR groups in the NFL...too high a bar? Especially considering near half of the top 5 teams are not even in your conference?

    Just be happy we won the division and good with winning a wildcard game? Never going farther in over 5 years is to be expected?


    I'm very happy we won the Division and think the Seahawks have a decent chance at the SB. They are certainly capable of laying an egg in the playoffs and going home short.....but they also have a chance to play well and reach the end goal. Their success or failure will be a team effort and not because of some voodoo belief that PC can't go farther that Divisionals.

    Your claim that PC can NEVER take us past Divisionals.....a premise based on YOUR claim that he under-performs with a high ranked roster in post-season.....a roster ranking that you pulled out of your hind end.....and make lame excuses to not produce.......is too much bovine excrement for me the swallow.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 212
    Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:10 pm
  • Nunya wrote: Their success or failure will be a team effort and not because of some voodoo belief that PC can't go farther that Divisionals.


    So if Pete goes into the playoffs with a terrible game plan and the Hawks end up losing that game, no blame goes to him. Got it.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1880
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:36 pm
  • Kind of like Signal-to-Noise ratio, the Football-to-Pissing ratio got out-of-whack there for a bit. Some thoughtful points being made for sure amidst all the pissing.

    CONSENSUS
    * Pete+John team is a terrific roster-builder and roster-improver during the season

    * The Hawks D has made amazing strides during the season and now is an "above average" NFL defense
    - This is a massive improvement from being an all-time historically bad defense the first half of the season

    * We finally got over the Rams hurdle by actually outplaying and outcoaching them when it mattered
    - Few expected this and it was an exceedingly pleasant surprise, and bodes well going forward.

    UNCLEAR
    * Pete's teams underperform in the playoffs -- disputed
    - Maybe the most accurate thing we could say is that Pete's teams don't overperform in the playoffs--well, except for that one SB48 game.

    * Pete will get outcoached in the playoffs once again, we'll be disappointed once again
    - Perhaps the real issue was we had too many weak links at playoff time before, which got exploited by quality opponents? Maybe the accurate view is Pete's teams overperform the roster in the regular season, and get exposed in the playoffs? Last year it was anemic pass rush, no healthy RBs, among others

    * KNJ is the worst DC in the league and gets badly exposed by quality opponents.
    - The defense's turnaround and KNJ's role in that?? Anybody's guess. Probably multiple factors.
    - Jamal Adams and Carlos Dunlap impact, emergence of Jordyn Brooks, DJ Reed, JReed, LJ Collier,
    - Maybe Norton sucks less when the players are better and can execute what he calls?
    - Disclaimer: I was a fence-sitter on "Fire KNJ!". Amazed and hoping he and the D don't go back to sucking.

    This season, and this roster, and the team dynamic, FEELS different than past seasons. It feels like we have a solid across-the-board roster on both offense and defense. We have probably the best O-Line during Carroll's tenure. We have Russell, and he seems healthy. We have healthy playmakers at all skill positions. We have a pass rush. We have corners who can cover. We have a defense that is suddenly playing well together, and improving week-to-week.

    To me, it feels like this year, we are entering the post-season EXPECTING to win, because of our collective strengths, rather than HOPING to win, despite our glaring weaknesses.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3847
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:50 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Nunya wrote: Their success or failure will be a team effort and not because of some voodoo belief that PC can't go farther that Divisionals.


    So if Pete goes into the playoffs with a terrible game plan and the Hawks end up losing that game, no blame goes to him. Got it.

    Hoping for Pete, Schotty, and KNJ to pull an Andy Reid this year, and show the learning and adjustments from the losing+learning of past (short) playoff runs.

    How the frack did Andy Reid suddenly become a playoff genius? OK, Patrick Mahomes made him a smarter, very clutch playoff game coach. I'm thinking that DK Metcalf will help Pete Carroll suddenly become a better playoff game coach this year. Jamal Adams and Carlos Dunlap will make KNJ a smarter playoff DC. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3847
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:We don't know they turned the defense around.

    We know the results have gotten incredibly better.

    But we also know we have faced several backups and at least 2 QBs that have been permanently benched.

    I do think that DJ Reed has massively improved this secondary, and some of that is bleeding in. And we were facing some very good offenses earlier. So we are probably not the worst of all time like we were. And we did go from one of the worst pass rushes in the league to one of the top 5.

    But we have still faced a group of godawful QBs, and unsurprisingly our defense has gotten 'better'.

    But to pretend we are out of the woods and there is no issue with the DC? Let's hope for the best but maybe expecting that kind of change is a bit much.

    Since one of the issues with Pete and one of the reasons we tend to get outcoached in the playoffs is our tendency to cling onto below average coordinators - fixing the Norton issue would be huge.

    I hope it happened. But he was never good before, so it feels reasonable to wait until we face a decent QB before claiming things are fixed.


    I'll make the argument that stopping Goff and the Rams offense was a valid data point for the improvement of the Hawks D. Goff and the Rams offense have torched our D consistently since McVay arrived. They didn't torch us this time. We kept them without a TD. Our D got pressure on Goff. Goff's throwing hand injury was later in the game, and he scored no TDs with a healthy hand. How will that translate to Erin and the Packers? Unknown. Hoping someone else knocks off the Packers, if they get #1 seed.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3847
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:04 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Nunya wrote: Their success or failure will be a team effort and not because of some voodoo belief that PC can't go farther that Divisionals.


    So if Pete goes into the playoffs with a terrible game plan and the Hawks end up losing that game, no blame goes to him. Got it.


    No offence, but I seriously doubt you could recognize a good or bad game plan if it ran over you.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 212
    Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:35 pm
  • Nunya wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Nunya wrote: Their success or failure will be a team effort and not because of some voodoo belief that PC can't go farther that Divisionals.


    So if Pete goes into the playoffs with a terrible game plan and the Hawks end up losing that game, no blame goes to him. Got it.


    No offence, but I seriously doubt you could recognize a good or bad game plan if it ran over you.


    All one needs to do is revisit the playoff losses the Hawks have had the past 5 years to recognize the bad ones.

    Shooting from the hip, but you were a Darrell Bevell fan werent you?
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1880
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 pm
  • Pretty sure the game plan where Pete went in to run the ball, did so repeatedly with a noname RB for little gain, barely used Wilson and then lost that playoff game was a bad one.

    You know, the one he was soundly outcoached by that savant Jason Garrett?

    But the ones we lost by halftime against the Falcons and Panthers were poor showings too.


    Are we now pretending these didn't happen?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4768
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:26 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Pretty sure the game plan where Pete went in to run the ball, did so repeatedly with a noname RB for little gain, barely used Wilson and then lost that playoff game was a bad one.

    You know, the one he was soundly outcoached by that savant Jason Garrett?

    But the ones we lost by halftime against the Falcons and Panthers were poor showings too.


    Are we now pretending these didn't happen?


    Those are all voodoo beliefs apparently.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1880
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


Re: Fire Pete
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:12 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:Kind of like Signal-to-Noise ratio, the Football-to-Pissing ratio got out-of-whack there for a bit. Some thoughtful points being made for sure amidst all the pissing.

    CONSENSUS
    * Pete+John team is a terrific roster-builder and roster-improver during the season

    * The Hawks D has made amazing strides during the season and now is an "above average" NFL defense
    - This is a massive improvement from being an all-time historically bad defense the first half of the season

    * We finally got over the Rams hurdle by actually outplaying and outcoaching them when it mattered
    - Few expected this and it was an exceedingly pleasant surprise, and bodes well going forward.

    UNCLEAR
    * Pete's teams underperform in the playoffs -- disputed
    - Maybe the most accurate thing we could say is that Pete's teams don't overperform in the playoffs--well, except for that one SB48 game.

    * Pete will get outcoached in the playoffs once again, we'll be disappointed once again
    - Perhaps the real issue was we had too many weak links at playoff time before, which got exploited by quality opponents? Maybe the accurate view is Pete's teams overperform the roster in the regular season, and get exposed in the playoffs? Last year it was anemic pass rush, no healthy RBs, among others

    * KNJ is the worst DC in the league and gets badly exposed by quality opponents.
    - The defense's turnaround and KNJ's role in that?? Anybody's guess. Probably multiple factors.
    - Jamal Adams and Carlos Dunlap impact, emergence of Jordyn Brooks, DJ Reed, JReed, LJ Collier,
    - Maybe Norton sucks less when the players are better and can execute what he calls?
    - Disclaimer: I was a fence-sitter on "Fire KNJ!". Amazed and hoping he and the D don't go back to sucking.

    This season, and this roster, and the team dynamic, FEELS different than past seasons. It feels like we have a solid across-the-board roster on both offense and defense. We have probably the best O-Line during Carroll's tenure. We have Russell, and he seems healthy. We have healthy playmakers at all skill positions. We have a pass rush. We have corners who can cover. We have a defense that is suddenly playing well together, and improving week-to-week.

    To me, it feels like this year, we are entering the post-season EXPECTING to win, because of our collective strengths, rather than HOPING to win, despite our glaring weaknesses.

    I agree with that assessment of the team the last couple years compared to this year. It never felt like we had the type of complete team that you expect to do much damage in the playoffs, but were good enough to make a run if they got hot and things went their way. This year the team feels much more complete and able to weather some bad bounces and are capable of making their own "luck" so to speak. It's still remains to be seen what the improved D will look like against one of the top playoff teams and whether or not the offense has stabilized. All in all the team and player health appear to be where it needs to be going in.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 561
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:15 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Pretty sure the game plan where Pete went in to run the ball, did so repeatedly with a noname RB for little gain, barely used Wilson and then lost that playoff game was a bad one.

    You know, the one he was soundly outcoached by that savant Jason Garrett?

    But the ones we lost by halftime against the Falcons and Panthers were poor showings too.


    Are we now pretending these didn't happen?
    It's hard to argue one way or another on being outcoached, but throught the years the team has not typically beat teams by margins they were capable of. One can argue that the coaches are brilliant or not, but we have seen the team need 3 feet for a new set of downs and throw a 40 yrd attempt.

    I travel a lot and notice that the seahawks are a heroin high. Every other team plays for those 3 feet. Not Seattle. They throw a 2 yard pass when they need 5, or 40y when they need 3 inches- or punt with in field goal range. We are the adicts of the rush. Some of us self loathe the need for the high, the others ignore the pain to get to the high.

    I would really like to see Nunya and Twisted meet face to face- I doubt Nuynya would be so rude. I think the level of discourse here has disintegrated to the point where now I don't read for exposure of the other opinions, but to see how big of a douche bag some can be to others.

    For any to call a justified opinion of anyone 'garbage' is just lost. Some of you just need a punch in the mouth that would happen if you actually talked to each other in a bar.

    The hawks are a good, but frustrating to watch team. None of us are on the team, and none of what is posted influences the outcome of anygame in any way. Be a homer, be a dissenter, in the end it doesn't matter.

    Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
    NOLAHawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 320
    Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:18 pm
  • So punching someone in the face makes your opinion the correct one?
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 549
    Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:04 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:We don't know they turned the defense around.

    We know the results have gotten incredibly better.

    But we also know we have faced several backups and at least 2 QBs that have been permanently benched.

    I do think that DJ Reed has massively improved this secondary, and some of that is bleeding in. And we were facing some very good offenses earlier. So we are probably not the worst of all time like we were. And we did go from one of the worst pass rushes in the league to one of the top 5.

    But we have still faced a group of godawful QBs, and unsurprisingly our defense has gotten 'better'.

    But to pretend we are out of the woods and there is no issue with the DC? Let's hope for the best but maybe expecting that kind of change is a bit much.

    Since one of the issues with Pete and one of the reasons we tend to get outcoached in the playoffs is our tendency to cling onto below average coordinators - fixing the Norton issue would be huge.

    I hope it happened. But he was never good before, so it feels reasonable to wait until we face a decent QB before claiming things are fixed.


    I'll make the argument that stopping Goff and the Rams offense was a valid data point for the improvement of the Hawks D. Goff and the Rams offense have torched our D consistently since McVay arrived. They didn't torch us this time. We kept them without a TD. Our D got pressure on Goff. Goff's throwing hand injury was later in the game, and he scored no TDs with a healthy hand. How will that translate to Erin and the Packers? Unknown. Hoping someone else knocks off the Packers, if they get #1 seed.


    As soon as the Rams couldn't dink and dunk across the middle to Reynolds or a 8 yard sideline play to Woods they are toast without their run game.

    I think our corners and safeties are actually set up pretty well against Green Bay. I'm actually more worried about their running game. Wish we had a lockdown corner for Adams, but we can keep him in decent check.

    In all likelihood we'd have to win a bit of a shootout (hi 20s/30s) to beat GB.

    I think our worse matchup is the Saints.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7213
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:11 pm
  • NOLAHawk wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Pretty sure the game plan where Pete went in to run the ball, did so repeatedly with a noname RB for little gain, barely used Wilson and then lost that playoff game was a bad one.

    You know, the one he was soundly outcoached by that savant Jason Garrett?

    But the ones we lost by halftime against the Falcons and Panthers were poor showings too.


    Are we now pretending these didn't happen?
    It's hard to argue one way or another on being outcoached, but throught the years the team has not typically beat teams by margins they were capable of. One can argue that the coaches are brilliant or not, but we have seen the team need 3 feet for a new set of downs and throw a 40 yrd attempt.

    I travel a lot and notice that the seahawks are a heroin high. Every other team plays for those 3 feet. Not Seattle. They throw a 2 yard pass when they need 5, or 40y when they need 3 inches- or punt with in field goal range. We are the adicts of the rush. Some of us self loathe the need for the high, the others ignore the pain to get to the high.

    I would really like to see Nunya and Twisted meet face to face- I doubt Nuynya would be so rude. I think the level of discourse here has disintegrated to the point where now I don't read for exposure of the other opinions, but to see how big of a douche bag some can be to others.

    For any to call a justified opinion of anyone 'garbage' is just lost. Some of you just need a punch in the mouth that would happen if you actually talked to each other in a bar.

    The hawks are a good, but frustrating to watch team. None of us are on the team, and none of what is posted influences the outcome of anygame in any way. Be a homer, be a dissenter, in the end it doesn't matter.

    Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk



    The rule of thumb is attack the post not the poster... I assume you're talking about me with the garbage thing... I have the right to my opinion too and you have the right not to like it...That's fine with me...

    The fire Pete thing is a misunderstanding of epic proportions of what's happening. a winning organization is far more than just a coach and performance on the field...

    To replace Pete your pretty much rebuilding the organization.. This organization, in its current form, can not operate efficiently without Pete because he is the one that makes it all work... sometime go onto the Seahawks site and look at who is employed for what position and get an idea of how Carroll has designed this thing and why..

    someone coming in new wants their people and rightfully so... the question is if you are an owner do you blow up the whole organization, which by the way, has a revenue increase of 8% last year, because Carroll has not reached the SB in recent years... the fact he has missed the playoffs twice since he got the job along with 2 SB appearances and is knocking on the door of a third is an amazing accomplishment that will launch him into the NFL Hall of Fame...

    Now if he didn't win the division and his team was 2-14 for the last 2 seasons then that's when the conversation is relevant in terms of looking to replace a coach who is under performing...So yeah if you look at this situation from my perspective, firing Pete Carroll is an incredibly stupid thing to do that no one in their right mind should even consider for a nano second... So that's where the Garbage comes from...see it the way you want...


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:19 pm
  • Woah NOLA coming in hot!
    RKO out of nowhere!

    This escalated quickly
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3748
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Fire Pete
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:14 pm
  • Its clear Nunya and I are just not going to agree here. But I am not going to circle back to defend every point when it isn't entirely relevant to the topic if you go deeper. We disagree.

    I disagree with LTH all the time. Clearly, he loves the Hawks and knows football. Getting disagreed with is good, its pretty weak to not want to see your opinion challenged. The whole point is to see other perspectives, defend the point when valid or realize you are wrong when not.

    One of my favorite posters is Soulfish and we never agree. But if we do, I know damn well it is probably a valid observation. And his optimism is important to talk people like me off the ledge occasionally - like when the defense was putting up hideous stats.

    So the whole thing with Nunya, not trying to be jerk just not sure why or how 'proving' we are a #5 roster in some ratings is significant to the discussion. It just derails the point. It probably deserves its own thread. What is our roster rating right now and due to that, what should reasonable expectations be in the playoffs?

    (The questions will probably be asked as another thread, where links to the ratings are more relevant. But whether the ratings are #4, #5, or #8 is only important because the point was Carroll significantly improves the roster over the year. I am not even sure you can debate THAT, unless you want to give that credit solely to JS. )

    My opinion:

    Pete improves the roster, significantly. He also is a coach that in my opinion isn't great on gameday, has challenges with his staff, and forces gameplans on the team that are not always relevant to the strengths/weaknesses of the team or worse, the opposition.

    So the team always looks great in the regular season but those issues above tend to become glaring when matched up against a team that does not have those issues.

    Is that a reason to fire Pete? Earlier in the year it seemed that we were missing an opportunity with Wilson. But we gave Wilson the keys to the car and he kept crashing it. So maybe not.

    Still, it is disappointing that we are not clearly capable of being better and just choosing not to be that because of rigid stances that are counterproductive to winning in the playoffs.



    And if I ever met Nunya in person, I would probably just buy him a beer because he is a Seahawk fan too. We both support the same team - just massively disagree on a few things. There are a lot worse things in this world than that...as effing 2020 has spotlighted.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4768
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:48 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Its clear Nunya and I are just not going to agree here. But I am not going to circle back to defend every point when it isn't entirely relevant to the topic if you go deeper. We disagree.

    I disagree with LTH all the time. Clearly, he loves the Hawks and knows football. Getting disagreed with is good, its pretty weak to not want to see your opinion challenged. The whole point is to see other perspectives, defend the point when valid or realize you are wrong when not.

    One of my favorite posters is Soulfish and we never agree. But if we do, I know damn well it is probably a valid observation. And his optimism is important to talk people like me off the ledge occasionally - like when the defense was putting up hideous stats.

    So the whole thing with Nunya, not trying to be jerk just not sure why or how 'proving' we are a #5 roster in some ratings is significant to the discussion. It just derails the point. It probably deserves its own thread. What is our roster rating right now and due to that, what should reasonable expectations be in the playoffs?

    (The questions will probably be asked as another thread, where links to the ratings are more relevant. But whether the ratings are #4, #5, or #8 is only important because the point was Carroll significantly improves the roster over the year. I am not even sure you can debate THAT, unless you want to give that credit solely to JS. )

    My opinion:

    Pete improves the roster, significantly. He also is a coach that in my opinion isn't great on gameday, has challenges with his staff, and forces gameplans on the team that are not always relevant to the strengths/weaknesses of the team or worse, the opposition.

    So the team always looks great in the regular season but those issues above tend to become glaring when matched up against a team that does not have those issues.

    Is that a reason to fire Pete? Earlier in the year it seemed that we were missing an opportunity with Wilson. But we gave Wilson the keys to the car and he kept crashing it. So maybe not.

    Still, it is disappointing that we are not clearly capable of being better and just choosing not to be that because of rigid stances that are counterproductive to winning in the playoffs.



    And if I ever met Nunya in person, I would probably just buy him a beer because he is a Seahawk fan too. We both support the same team - just massively disagree on a few things. There are a lot worse things in this world than that...as effing 2020 has spotlighted.


    I Don't love the Seahawks so much that I won't criticize them when I feel it's warranted. If you listen to the players like JA and Dunlap you can see how special it is to make the playoffs. these guys are appreciative of the fact they are on a SB contending team because it doesn't happen very often... The Hawks fans including myself are spoiled a bit by the fact that Carroll keeps this team in the playoffs consistently... It's been a long time since this team has been on a dry run of the playoffs... Most have forgotten what it's like to be a fan of a Jets like team... Making the playoffs is the norm with this team... You think if Carroll were to quit right now that he would have problems finding a job being the highest paid coach in the NFL history if he isn't already... I mean Jerry Jones would LOVE to have Pete Carroll... he would pay whatever it took to land Carroll...I think this needs to be taken into consideration...


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:02 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Who do you want to replace Carroll as head coach?


    Brian Daboll.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1832
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm


Re: Fire Pete
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:06 pm
  • This didn’t age well sheesh
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 622
    Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 pm
    Location: Marysville


Previous


It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online