Fire Pete

pinksheets

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2zqcn4h5 said:
pinksheets":2zqcn4h5 said:
I believe we're .500 in the playoffs since winning the SB, which is quite good.
We're below .500 since the 2015 season and our last Super Bowl run.
Wait, so your line is after we last made a SB we lost not last we won? Is just making the SB the goal or is winning one? Because it sounds like you're drawing an arbitrary line that suits this narrative.

It's extremely difficult to make the playoffs a lot and also have a strong winning record in the playoffs because unless you win the SB, you're taking a loss.

Pete has still won a playoff game in each of their last 4 appearances. That's quite good, period. There's not someone who just constantly gets to Conference Championships out waiting in the wings because that's either Belichik or they don't exist.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
pinksheets":6t76ku71 said:
Spin Doctor":6t76ku71 said:
pinksheets":6t76ku71 said:
Wait, so your line is after we last made a SB we lost not last we won? Is just making the SB the goal or is winning one? Because it sounds like you're drawing an arbitrary line that suits this narrative.

It's extremely difficult to make the playoffs a lot and also have a strong winning record in the playoffs because unless you win the SB, you're taking a loss.

Pete has still won a playoff game in each of their last 4 appearances. That's quite good, period. There's not someone who just constantly gets to Conference Championships out waiting in the wings because that's either Belichik or they don't exist.
We should have lost in Minnesota, and we lost in 2018 against the Cowboys, not a single win that season. Pete does not have what it takes to get us to another Super Bowl. What concerns me is not that we're losing, it is HOW we're losing. We keep making the same mistakes each loss, we keep losing the same way and not adjusting. I highly doubt Pete ever brings us another Super Bowl again, and I doubt he even gets us an NFC Championship game.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3p72xtl9 said:
pinksheets":3p72xtl9 said:
Spin Doctor":3p72xtl9 said:
pinksheets":3p72xtl9 said:

We should have lost in Minnesota, and we lost in 2018 against the Cowboys, not a single win that season. Pete does not have what it takes to get us to another Super Bowl. What concerns me is not that we're losing, it is HOW we're losing. We keep making the same mistakes each loss, we keep losing the same way and not adjusting. I highly doubt Pete ever brings us another Super Bowl again, and I doubt he even gets us an NFC Championship game.

Just to humor us, could you provide the list of coaches in the last few years that have a playoff record well over .500?

I'm struggling to come up with a long list....since you seem to think Pete losing games in the playoffs is an anomaly.

Thanks

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Just for context, Bill Belichick was 9-8 in the playoffs in the 9 seasons between their 3rd & 4th SB titles.

This just illustrates the fact that winning in the NFL playoffs is really, really easy.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Hawkpower":n3836cue said:
Spin Doctor":n3836cue said:
pinksheets":n3836cue said:
Spin Doctor":n3836cue said:

Just to humor us, could you provide the list of coaches in the last few years that have a playoff record well over .500?

I'm struggling to come up with a long list....since you seem to think Pete losing games in the playoffs is an anomaly.

Thanks
Should be coaches who made it at least 4 of 5 years to be fair, too.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":10uopsg7 said:
Just for context, Bill Belichick was 9-8 in the playoffs in the 9 seasons between their 3rd & 4th SB titles.

This just illustrates the fact that winning in the NFL playoffs is really, really easy.

Andy Reid, even with his latest success, is 11-13

Pete is 11-9

rsRyno

Reaction score
pmedic920":3w5cct5d said:

I’m not necessarily saying fire Pete, even though I think his asinine coaching and reluctance to change has cost us many, many times, but Bill O’Brien won 4 out of 6 division titles; that didn’t make him a good coach.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Spin doctor is plain and simple just a hater. Not one single positive post in years. Hope he had a shitty Christmas...lol

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1j8micgc said:
Pete is a great regular season coach. With Pete I feel like he makes worse teams play above their potential, and he makes good teams play below what they are truly capable of. He's a motivator and honestly he's created a great culture in Seattle.

My issue with Pete is he is dogmatic. He's ridgid in his approach, not only does he want to win, but he wants to win his way. We'll be doing things that work, specifically on offense and inexplicably go away from it. Game plans are often times lacking and in game coaching decisions often leave me befuddled, especially when it comes to clock management.

This is okay in the regular season, but in the playoffs it has bitten us very badly. We've under performed there for quite some time. Since our Super Bowl run we've lost more than we've won in the playoffs. What concerns me is we've lost the same way, each and every time. We've really dropped the ball there and turned what should have been wins into losses. We haven't learned from our losses in the post season thus far.

Maybe this year will be different, I don't know. I'm suspecting it won't be though -- especially with Wilson being off his game. I'm a bit of a different breed, I'm willing to have a potential nonce as head coach and go through losing seasons for the potential of a Super Bowl. I feel like we have the roster to accomplish a Super Bowl run, but I don't think Carroll is the guy to get us there. I think we need a fresh prospective and sometimes that is all a roster needs in order to get a Super Bowl and push a team over the top. Things could always be worse, but I feel like we've been caught in a circular loop that I don't see breaking under Carroll.
You do realize that this roster you speak of would go away right along with Pete if got canned right? You'd have 1 year maybe intact and from then on you no longer have the thing that draws a lot of the players to this roster right?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":32szfld7 said:
Spin doctor is plain and simple just a hater. Not one single positive post in years. Hope he had a $h!t Christmas...lol
What a mean spirited post. I never wish ill will on posters even if I disagree with them. You really need to take a step back and examine yourself. You're wishing bad luck on somebody just because they happen to have a different opinion on football than you. You should be ashamed.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Ahhh the annual gloat posts by the kool aid drinkers gotta love em.
On a side note credit to Pete and ken Norton for turning the defense into an average defense instead of the dumpster fire it was the first half of the season. I still hope for a new coach. But Pete will keep us around 9-11 wins a year with first or second round exits and he’ll play out his contract imo. Can we just appreciate everyone’s opinion. We won the west let’s enjoy it like you positive patties say

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":2a822h7m said:
Can we just appreciate everyone’s opinion. We won the west let’s enjoy it like you positive patties say

No, there is no need or responsibility to appreciate ridiculous opinions. They are open to criticism and rejection. Not all opinions are equal in value, even in our politically correct world of everyone getting a trophy.

Wanting PC replaced is a ridiculous opinion, and should be rejected outright.

That's my opinion. :D

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
All I know from reading these forums, & don't attack me for my opinion, is that winning in the NFL is extremely easy. All the coaching staffs around the league need to do is read these forums & every team will go 16-0 & win the SB.

Seriously, it's so simple that coaches should be allowed to browse the forums on the sidelines to see what should be done next.

Getting the orders right at the MacDonald's drive-thru? Now, that is the real challenge.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1qy20m22 said:
Ahhh the annual gloat posts by the kool aid drinkers gotta love em.
On a side note credit to Pete and ken Norton for turning the defense into an average defense instead of the dumpster fire it was the first half of the season. I still hope for a new coach. But Pete will keep us around 9-11 wins a year with first or second round exits and he’ll play out his contract imo. Can we just appreciate everyone’s opinion. We won the west let’s enjoy it like you positive patties say

Being happy over yet another division title and an 11-4 record isnt being a kool-aid drinker, its called being a rational and emotionally stable human being.

By the way, go ahead and take a poll around the league and see how many franchises would sign up quickly for a coach that gets them double digit victories and playoff appearances every year.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rsRyno":gf0bycb1 said:
pmedic920":gf0bycb1 said:

I’m not necessarily saying fire Pete, even though I think his asinine coaching and reluctance to change has cost us many, many times, but Bill O’Brien won 4 out of 6 division titles; that didn’t make him a good coach.

Winning the weak AFC south with 9-7 records and winning what has been consistently the best division in the NFL repeatedly are two different things.

Pete Carroll is 143-94 in Seattle with a Super Bowl win
O'Brien was 52-48

Pete is considered to be a great coach for reasons beyond division titles. But you know this.

Nunya

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1hcrstgk said:
pinksheets":1hcrstgk said:
Spin Doctor":1hcrstgk said:
pinksheets":1hcrstgk said:

No coach is ever going to meet your expectations. It is statistically impossible. You are setting a standard that is completely unsustainable. Then you use this unrealistic expectation as a measuring stick to determine whether PC will be successful in the off-season.??!!!!????!!???

The playoffs are a "loser go home" format. It is not like regular season where there are a set number of games to be won or lost. Under the old format:

1. 12 teams made the playoffs.
2. 4 of those teams are guaranteed to be "one and done".....that is 33% of the teams.
3. The 4 top seeded teams that received a bye week could be "one and done" if they under perform.
4. Assuming the top 1 and 2 seeds all win, 4 teams will be "two and done".
5. If any of the top seeded teams lose, the "one and done" percentage increases.
6. Only 4 teams will make the Conference Championship Games (CCG).....that is only 33% of the teams that made the playoffs.
7. Assuming the top 1 and 2 seeded teams make the CCG, 2 of the teams will have a 1-1 playoff record for that season.
8. Only 2 teams will make the Superbowl....that is only 16.6% of the teams that make the playoffs.
9. EVERY team is capable of laying an egg in the playoffs....for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with coaching. Injuries, nerves, weather, away game, poor refereeing, bad bounces, etc can all impact a game's outcome.

In order for a coach to have a above .500 playoff record, they would pretty much need to get to the Conference Championship Game almost every time they reach the playoffs....however, even then, only 2 of the top seeded teams will be able to break .500.

Your claim that a coach that consistently has 10+ wins a season suddenly does not have "what it takes" to advance in the playoff is asinine. You are talking about the 6 best teams from each Conference. It does not take a genius to understand that stiff competition would be expected....even from the teams that just "squeaked in".

The coaching is not the problem......the problem is your unrealistic expectations.

renofox

Reaction score
Even NE fans were constantly calling BB out and saying he sucked and should be fired in the middle of:

19 years
6 SB Championships
9 SB appearance
17 Division championships

Human nature. Some people aren't happy unless the world meets their irrational and unrealistic expectations.

Some people aren't happy. Shocker. Don't let their attempt to spread their misery bring you down.

Nunya

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3jieymum said:
Flyingsquad23":3jieymum said:
Spin doctor is plain and simple just a hater. Not one single positive post in years. Hope he had a $h!t Christmas...lol
What a mean spirited post. I never wish ill will on posters even if I disagree with them. You really need to take a step back and examine yourself. You're wishing bad luck on somebody just because they happen to have a different opinion on football than you. You should be ashamed.

While I do not condone his vitriol, it can be understandable. It gets pretty aggravating to constantly read posts from people that make unsubstantiated claims based on their "feels" and see them present those "feels" as fact. Then when called on it they say "hey man, I never said it was fact. It's only my opinion".

This team has had some great play this season....and some pretty poor play this season. That is something that is common with ALL teams. Not a single team had an easy road to the playoffs. They all fought injuries. They all played bad games. They all executed some plays poorly.

To claim that an NFL coach that constantly has 10+ win seasons, reaches the playoffs more times than not, and has made their team a competitor season after season....that this type of coach is "dogmatic", "rigid", or "does not have what it takes" to win in the playoffs....well, that does not seem to hold much reasoning nor logic. Constantly beating people upon the head and shoulders with your "feels" kind of gets old, especially when those "feels" seem to be lacking that reason and logic. But hey, I understand it if you just don't like PC. Heck, seeing as how many of us are Oregon and/or Washington fans, we were kind of ingrained to dislike a coach from USC.