Was Russ selfish?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I am not trying to fan the flames. He is my all time favorite QB. I just do not like 1 end of the spectrum thinking 24/7.

I am on twitter and I saw they did not go under center due to RW's finger. So they did all shot gun and Pistol formations. So was he not ready then and he forced the hand of the front office? Or did he think he was good to go?

Russ was not right and I understand rust as well but his picks were horrible decisions today. Hopefully we go on a run but i think he is only 70% better.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3gdhm85d said:
I am not trying to fan the flames. He is my all time favorite QB. I just do not like 1 end of the spectrum thinking 24/7.

I am on twitter and I saw they did not go under center due to RW's finger. So they did all shot gun and Pistol formations. So was he not ready then and he forced the hand of the front office? Or did he think he was good to go?

Russ was not right and I understand rust as well but his picks were horrible decisions today. Hopefully we go on a run but i think he is only 70% better.

Regardless of how he played today, Russ always gives us a chance to win. A lot of times he succeeds. Today he didn't. Nothing selfish about trying.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3sta14vx said:
Shanegotyou11":3sta14vx said:

Regardless of how he played today, Russ always gives us a chance to win. A lot of times he succeeds. Today he didn't. Nothing selfish about trying.

Fair reply. My only issue is if you cant do certain formations itll hurt.

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":23s5qhrf said:
I am not trying to fan the flames. He is my all time favorite QB.

I would not call it selfish. Russell has made it to his level believing in himself. The power of that belief can be magical, but unfortunately it’s a razor’s edge, especially when he’s not 100%. At times his belief is not enough. I just don’t think making the smarter and safer decisions in the moment is an option for him.

Russell believes those throws were good ones, even in his presser his mind and heart couldn’t conceive of the concept of making a mistake. That is Russell and that is why he will win many and lose his share going forward.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2as5q466 said:
I didn't know this and if it's true it really irritates me. No, if he can't go under center because of his finger he absolutely should NOT have been the QB for the game and it absolutely does read as selfish.

Despite the crap we've had this year one of the few bright lights I've seen is how Waldron has managed to get us to go under center in situations that call for it, so if it turns out we really didn't do that and put Russell in despite the fact that he couldn't do that, that's very frustrating.

As for Russ giving us a chance to win, we were within reach all the way to the end for every single one of Geno's games before this. This was one was done before the final possession. If Russ can't actually go under center in situations that call for it he absolutely does not give us the best chance to win.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You think Geno would have done anything?

Only a 100% healthy Wilson can overcome Pete's terrible gameplans. Wilson was not healthy (clearly) or was incredibly rusty (likely both)...so we lost.

Geno would have lost too.

The only chance to win was with Wilson. He just was not ready. Our gameplan did not help him though.

pinksheets

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2k8fdfko said:

Only a 100% healthy Wilson can overcome Pete's terrible gameplans. Wilson was not healthy (clearly) or was incredibly rusty (likely both)...so we lost.

The only chance to win was with Wilson. He just was not ready. Our gameplan did not help him though.
This is inane.

The game was tight up until the end and the major issue was Russ not executing.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":28qpllbi said:

Russ gave us ZERO POINTS.

Do I think Geno--who is still, you know, a professional NFL quarterback who also just set the record for most consecutive pass completions in the NFL this season in his last start--could possibly have done better than ZERO POINTS?

Are you serious?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
pinksheets":4dyxsoht said:
TwistedHusky":4dyxsoht said:

This is inane.

Nope. The major issue was no game plan that took into account the limited health of the starting QB. Why did they not run the ball more in the second half after it was plain to see that Russ was less than 100%? This staff either cannot or will not make in-game adjustments. Same as it has been since forever...
Yes, the game was tight. But you cannot expect your defense to hold Rodgers to 3 points while also losing the time of possession battle to the extent that they did. No team can do that. The D simply ran out of steam. This is on the coach. No adjustments = loss. Every time. Hell, if they had adjusted and played to Geno's strengths, this team could have won every game he started.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
WmHBonney":3a24a81a said:
pinksheets":3a24a81a said:
TwistedHusky":3a24a81a said:

This is inane.

Nope. The major issue was no game plan that took into account the limited health of the starting QB. Why did they not run the ball more in the second half after it was plain to see that Russ was less than 100%? This staff either cannot or will not make in-game adjustments. Same as it has been since forever...
Yes, the game was tight. But you cannot expect your defense to hold Rodgers to 3 points while also losing the time of possession battle to the extent that they did. No team can do that. The D simply ran out of steam. This is on the coach. No adjustments = loss. Every time. Hell, if they had adjusted and played to Geno's strengths, this team could have won every game he started.
But a good running game needs to have a QB who can, you know, play under center? Which is the premise of the thread.

So, if (and again, I say IF because I don't know this is true) Russ can't go under center because his finger, the FIRST adjustment the team should have made was to not let Russell be the starting QB.

But again, Russ played BADLY. The scheme did not force him to throw into the exact same double coverage 4 or 5 times. He did that on his own.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Bingo, Bonney nailed it.

This was on the stupidity of our aging HC and not the injured Wilson.

NOTHING in that game plan made it easier on him.

The only adjustment I saw was us not having him under center but instead in shotgun/pistol (unless I am confused).

So if we adjusted our formation because he was not 100%, adjusting our effing playcalling seems reasonable. But we didn't.

This was ALL on Pete, even though expecting him to win this is a tall order - we did little to help Wilson.

LTH

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3jeg0ysh said:

I don't think its selfishness... I think Russ just totally believes he can make the plays... he believes it with all his heart... the problem was he is a bit rusty and he was off today... not sure how much the finger hampered his play, although his accuracy was off he missed some wide open receiver's ...

He just needs to make some adjustment with his decision making and he probably should not have played today IMO

LTH

pinksheets

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2jfwddln said:
Bingo, Bonney nailed it.

This was on the stupidity of our aging HC and not the injured Wilson.

NOTHING in that game plan made it easier on him.

The only adjustment I saw was us not having him under center but instead in shotgun/pistol (unless I am confused).

So if we adjusted our formation because he was not 100%, adjusting our effing playcalling seems reasonable. But we didn't.

This was ALL on Pete, even though expecting him to win this is a tall order - we did little to help Wilson.
You're so in the bag for Russ, much like Johnny boy, every opinion you have starts from "Russ is perfect".

Russ failed to execute repeatedly. There were a number of missed opportunities and bad decisions/throws that are entirely on the QB. Sorry.

I don't think Waldron is proving to be a worthwhile OC, either, but this game was winnable despite his play calls if there's better execution and decision making by the most important, highest paid guy on the field who can check out of any playcall.

chris98251

Reaction score
Harder to get a run game going with no play under center, saying that the stretch draws with Collins were working with the hurry up on our best drive and we did not go back to either the hurry up or the stretch draw plays.

That's the limitations due to Wilson being still injured and not wanting to jam his finger with a snap under Center, the bandage on his finger also created a slippery grip and release on his passes, Romo attested to this in his comments, ball doesn't come off the same way.

Geno should have started giving Wilson a week to get more healed and play at home with the Cardinals.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":27a89ov6 said:
Harder to get a run game going with no play under center, saying that the stretch draws with Collins were working with the hurry up on our best drive and we did not go back to either the hurry up or the stretch draw plays.

That's the limitations due to Wilson being still injured and not wanting to jam his finger with a snap under Center, the bandage on his finger also created a slippery grip and release on his passes, Romo attested to this in his comments, ball doesn't come off the same way.

Geno should have started giving Wilson a week to get more healed and play at home with the Cardinals.

Imagine the outrage that would have exploded on the news that they chose to build the game plan around Geno instead of Russell as the QB for the Packers game. The social media protests would been deafening ...... probably registering as a seismic event.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":28vailx1 said:
chris98251":28vailx1 said:

Imagine the outrage that would have exploded on the news that they chose to build the game plan around Geno instead of Russell as the QB for the Packers game. The social media protests would been deafening ...... probably registering as a seismic event.

LOL well there are a few coaches in the league that would have said they don't play the game and they are entitled to their opinion. That is a nice way to put it.

Pete could just say what he says with every other player not named Wilson, taking precautions to make sure he comes back 100 percent with no limitations.

John63

Reaction score
Okay reality time.

Wilson played bad. Yes some was rust, some was game plan, some was oline, some were drops, and some was Russ.

As to weather he should or should not play that is on the HC period. Do I think stating geno would have changed things, no we still loose.

As to the whole selfish not under center etc. This is were it get stupid. No one know but let's just say it was him being selfish. Here is an idea.if we sent know for a fact don't give life to it.

As to his presser he is also said it was on him. So that is a fact were he said it's all on him.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":3761vb6s said:
Okay reality time.

Wilson played bad. Yes some was rust, some was game plan, some was oline, some were drops, and some was Russ.

As to weather he should or should not play that is on the HC period. Do I think stating geno would have changed things, no we still loose.

As to the whole selfish not under center etc. This is were it get stupid. No one know but let's just say it was him being selfish. Here is an idea.if we sent know for a fact don't give life to it.

As to his presser he is also said it was on him. So that is a fact were he said it's all on him.

Reality is the whole offense would have been available with Geno, Geno was improving every week, this is on Russell and Pete, Russell is able to audible out of everything now and he chose deep ball after deep ball at important junctures, many on short conversations for a new set of downs.

When you are limiting the time of possession and forcing the defense to play more then half the game you are playing against the odds unless you are scoring every time the offense touches the ball so the defense can play down hill.

Wilson should have stepped up and said he needed at least another week to get right, not need a finger bandaged, be able to run the whole offense.

But he didn't, so yes this was on Russell and Pete for not having the balls to tell him your not ready like he has with every other player.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":36iudsu4 said:
John63":36iudsu4 said:
Okay reality time.

Reality is the whole offense would have been available with Geno, Geno was improving every week, this is on Russell and Pete, Russell is able to audible out of everything now and he chose deep ball after deep ball at important junctures, many on short conversations for a new set of downs.

When you are limiting the time of possession and forcing the defense to play more then half the game you are playing against the odds unless you are scoring every time the offense touches the ball so the defense can play down hill.

Wilson should have stepped up and said he needed at least another week to get right, not need a finger bandaged, be able to run the whole offense.

But he didn't, so yes this was on Russell and Pete for not having the balls to tell him your not ready like he has with every other player.

Imagine the social outrage if they had of benched Russell in favor of Geno to make more of the playbook available. Seattle's social media reaction would have been greater than a massive hypersonic boom. It would have been heard in Green Bay on its way to circling the planet. It would have been epic.