49ers no longer 0 fers

SF49r

Reaction score
Marvin what are your thoughts on Adrian Colbert, that guy has been lighting it up at FS very impressive for a 7th round corner. I think we may have something there. Also heard he had the same coach who developed Earl Thomas in college.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SF49r":1kyafrpp said:
Marvin what are your thoughts on Adrian Colbert, that guy has been lighting it up at FS very impressive for a 7th round corner. I think we may have something there. Also heard he had the same coach who developed Earl Thomas in college.

Like Garoppolo, Colberts sample size is really small, but every time he plays he seems to make an impact. He's been far more impactful than I'd expect for a 7th rounder and I'll be interested to see him moving forward.

I had hoped that Ward could play that Earl Thomas role in this D but he was a disappointment before he got hurt. Maybe Colbert can be that guy? (and before a Seattle fan says anything, I'm referring to the role he plays, not his skill level in the Thomas comparison).

SF49r

Reaction score
Witherspoon is finally putting it together too and Reid and Tartt have been handling the 'kam' spot very well. I think if Colbert keeps improving and we grab one of the top CBs opposite witherspoon we'll have ourselves a secondary.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
original poster":lhgggl9h said:
I LOVE your avatar 5 Golden Rings!
Lol thanks. It's hilarious, right? I believe someone actually posted it here, and that's where I got it.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":1mh2dsp6 said:
SF49r":1mh2dsp6 said:

Like Garoppolo, Colberts sample size is really small, but every time he plays he seems to make an impact. He's been far more impactful than I'd expect for a 7th rounder and I'll be interested to see him moving forward.

I had hoped that Ward could play that Earl Thomas role in this D but he was a disappointment before he got hurt. Maybe Colbert can be that guy? (and before a Seattle fan says anything, I'm referring to the role he plays, not his skill level in the Thomas comparison).

Some might take your meaning that way, but deep down, I think most every football fan, regardless of fandom, knows the only safety in the league who might, and I say MIGHT, be in the same stratosphere as Earl Thomas in this league is Eric Berry.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":7gvi7r5y said:
Marvin49":7gvi7r5y said:
SF49r":7gvi7r5y said:

Some might take your meaning that way, but deep down, I think most every football fan, regardless of fandom, knows the only safety in the league who might, and I say MIGHT, be in the same stratosphere as Earl Thomas in this league is Eric Berry.

After seeing what's happened to the Chiefs defense this year, I think Berry is better than we thought he was.

NINEster

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1s97zs6m said:
Marvin49":1s97zs6m said:
Honestly, trying really, really hard not to buy into hyperbole with Garoppolo.

I love everything I've seen from him and it would be really easy to proclaim him the next great Niners QB...

...but I'm not going to do that. One start in which he didn't throw a TD.

However....I can say this and it isn't hyperbole....

I haven't seen a QB in red and Gold look that comfortable in the pocket, deliver with that kind of precision, or just look like he belongs there more than Garoppolo since Steve Young. No joke.

Now next week it could all fall apart and he could look horrible, but for one week he looked fantastic. The release...oh my god the release. Its one of the fastest I've ever seen that in itself is preventing sacks. His feet are fantastic and he's more decisive than any 49er QB I've seen in decades.

If you don't believe me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hADLqB2XEU

As I said, I'm making no proclamations for his future, but right now I'm pretty damn happy with him.

The other thing I'll say is this....Good QBs make the players around them better. That was on display on Sunday. Both Marquise Goodwin and Trent Taylor had career games.

Even if Garoppolo is the real deal, they are several pieces away so don't take this as "Niners gonna roll the west in 2018" or anything. Thats a long way off, but it looks right now like they might have solved the hardest position on the field to fill.

He's good, but this would be my concern about him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H8AYVygTE

He's not built "sturdy" ... His frame reminds me of Jim Zorn, Hugh Millen, Brock Huard, Marc Wilson, RG3, et. Great arm, great release, but he's not "thick enough" to make me think he'll be durable. Marino had that quick release but he was also built like a brick shithouse. Garoppolo is not, he's got those long limbs that fall awkwardly. That would worry me as a fan.

Interesting take. Could be very accurate, but seeing that critique first from a Hawks forum...... :mrgreen:

Joe Montana gave the Niners 10 seasons as a starter, and missed quite a bit of action (knocked out of '86 and '90 playoff games against Giants), had back surgery and missed some games in '86. He was a tough SOB but he definitely missed action. He wasn't going to be Eli Manning on the durability level (who should have died in Candlestick several years ago but didn't...).

If Montana could survive the '80s, I wager Jimmy G with some luck can have a real NFL career. Kinda interesting how that OL suddenly learned how to pass protect last weekend.

RG3 if he played like Kirk Cousins would be fine. But he tried to play like Cam Newton.

On behalf of all Niner fans, we're content to see Shanalynch roll the dice in that respect.

NINEster

Reaction score
Michael Bennett - "I'm glad he didn't come in the game sooner".

Bennett usually has accurate comments about Niner QBs (Kap vs. Gabbert).

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1ygwtg7p said:
Marvin49":1ygwtg7p said:

I love everything I've seen from him and it would be really easy to proclaim him the next great Niners QB...

I haven't seen a QB in red and Gold look that comfortable in the pocket, deliver with that kind of precision, or just look like he belongs there more than Garoppolo since Steve Young. No joke.

Now next week it could all fall apart and he could look horrible, but for one week he looked fantastic. The release...oh my god the release. Its one of the fastest I've ever seen that in itself is preventing sacks. His feet are fantastic and he's more decisive than any 49er QB I've seen in decades.

As I said, I'm making no proclamations for his future, but right now I'm pretty damn happy with him.

The other thing I'll say is this....Good QBs make the players around them better. That was on display on Sunday. Both Marquise Goodwin and Trent Taylor had career games.

Even if Garoppolo is the real deal, they are several pieces away so don't take this as "Niners gonna roll the west in 2018" or anything. Thats a long way off, but it looks right now like they might have solved the hardest position on the field to fill.

He's not built "sturdy" ... His frame reminds me of Jim Zorn, Hugh Millen, Brock Huard, Marc Wilson, RG3, et. Great arm, great release, but he's not "thick enough" to make me think he'll be durable. Marino had that quick release but he was also built like a brick shithouse. Garoppolo is not, he's got those long limbs that fall awkwardly. That would worry me as a fan.

Its possible, but I think he's sturdier than you think. He's 6'2, 226lbs. Thats not huge obviously but it isn't exactly scrawny either. He did get hurt last year but that was the first time he'd ever been hurt and he was a 4 year starter in college.

Every guy gets dings at some point. Remains to be seen if he can hold up. You mention Marino but Marino also wasn't very mobile. He could move around in the pocket as can Jimmy but Marino was never escaping or buying time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":315v0104 said:
The_Z_Man":315v0104 said:
Marvin49":315v0104 said:

Interesting take. Could be very accurate, but seeing that critique first from a Hawks forum...... :mrgreen:

Joe Montana gave the Niners 10 seasons as a starter, and missed quite a bit of action (knocked out of '86 and '90 playoff games against Giants), had back surgery and missed some games in '86. He was a tough SOB but he definitely missed action. He wasn't going to be Eli Manning on the durability level (who should have died in Candlestick several years ago but didn't...).

If Montana could survive the '80s, I wager Jimmy G with some luck can have a real NFL career. Kinda interesting how that OL suddenly learned how to pass protect last weekend.

RG3 if he played like Kirk Cousins would be fine. But he tried to play like Cam Newton.

On behalf of all Niner fans, we're content to see Shanalynch roll the dice in that respect.

Montana was about 6'2" and 205 and played in a different era. You could say that the players now are bigger and faster, but you can also point out that QBs are protected MUCH more now than they were back then.

Jimmy G has at least 20 lbs (226lbs) on Montana and is pretty thick in his lower body.

ANYONE can get hurt on any play (just look at Shazier last night...jeez) but I don't think his size is really a concern. Russell Wilson BTW was 5'11", 215lbs at the combine.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":2m17qe9g said:
NINEster":2m17qe9g said:
The_Z_Man":2m17qe9g said:
Marvin49":2m17qe9g said:

Montana was about 6'2" and 205 and played in a different era. You could say that the players now are bigger and faster, but you can also point out that QBs are protected MUCH more now than they were back then.

Jimmy G has at least 20 lbs (226lbs) on Montana and is pretty thick in his lower body.

ANYONE can get hurt on any play (just look at Shazier last night...jeez) but I don't think his size is really a concern. Russell Wilson BTW was 5'11", 215lbs at the combine.

But what people miss about Wilson's size is that he's short, not small. He's got some mass on his frame that is often overlooked that I feel plays well into his durability. Not speaking about Garropolo, I don't know his measurables, but skinny guys tend to have more injury issues than small guys. When Wilson was drafted, no one said he was too small to play football, just that he was too short to play QB.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Not being sarcastic here: I just picked up Jimmy G in fantasy and am strongly considering playing him. How do you niners fans think he'll do against a banged up Texans defense?

Exittium

Reaction score
adeltaY":vn34hlk3 said:
Not being sarcastic here: I just picked up Jimmy G in fantasy and am strongly considering playing him. How do you niners fans think he'll do against a banged up Texans defense?
Not a miner fan BUT IMO he’s a slightly better Osweiler but for the most part no different.. career backup to a great. But I think given the time and tools, he could be legit for SF unlike How Osweiler was for Broncs, and Texans.

It’ll come down to his endurance level, how many his can he take, how long can he play for, full games, full season etc etc.
And at least behind Brady he saw that he can move around and not stand like a statue like Payton and Osweiler

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":36ng3d2y said:
The_Z_Man":36ng3d2y said:
Marvin49":36ng3d2y said:

Its possible, but I think he's sturdier than you think. He's 6'2, 226lbs. Thats not huge obviously but it isn't exactly scrawny either. He did get hurt last year but that was the first time he'd ever been hurt and he was a 4 year starter in college.

Every guy gets dings at some point. Remains to be seen if he can hold up. You mention Marino but Marino also wasn't very mobile. He could move around in the pocket as can Jimmy but Marino was never escaping or buying time.

Being called fragile is code speak for:

"Oh s**** this guy might actually be good. We still have to knock him somehow"

:mrgreen:

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":rpsnu36p said:
Marvin49":rpsnu36p said:
The_Z_Man":rpsnu36p said:
Marvin49":rpsnu36p said:

Being called fragile is code speak for:

"Oh s**** this guy might actually be good. We still have to knock him somehow"

:mrgreen:

Or it's truth and saying when you had Kaep he could escape, Grab a Ho is going to be like the Statue of Liberty and taking abuse against teams with good fronts and won't be able to escape for long in this division.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Maulbert":2o5cn2vv said:
Except all you need to do to throw Eric Berry off his game is make some horse noises, lol.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Could still call the Niners the “0 and 1’ers” as that’s their Super Bowl record this century.
That’s a special shutout to LivingInHawktown, who still has multiple “personalities” over on the denialzone. 8)

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fcj07jh said:
Could still call the Niners the “0 and 1’ers” as that’s their Super Bowl record this century.
That’s a special shutout to LivingInHawktown, who still has multiple “personalities” over on the denialzone. 8)
A typical comment from a member of the 1-2th man. :stirthepot:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3n6zp1di said:
To be fair, even most 49ers fans agree that the refs changed the outcome of Super Bowl XL.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":nnkpf7bq said:
Sports Hernia":nnkpf7bq said:
1-2 is still better than 0-1. :2thumbs: