49ers no longer 0 fers

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2hmt228v said:
Marvin49":2hmt228v said:
LOL. No worries. Just hear that ancient trophies comment quite a bit...and maybe its true. If it is though, I'm ancient too. :)

Yeah, the whole expiration date on trophies thing has also been a total herring. Find me a Hawks fan who sincerely thinks there's an expiration date on their Super Bowl win counting and I'll find you liar.

TBF 82 and 84 don't mean as much to me because I wasn't old enough to really care about them (I was born in '79). but I got to watch my favorite team win three Super Bowls when I was the perfect age to be super into it and really, really care.

There's no way I trade one of those wins for a win in '13 against the Ravens. Getting to watch your favorite team win it all while you're a kid is just the absolute best.

Totally with you. The Joe comparison is ludicrous. I can't help myself though.

A lot of what made Joe what he was tho is performance under incredible pressure (and I don't just mean pass rush). There is ZERO way to test that in Jimmy.

What DOES look similar though is his demeanor in the pocket. He's the last guy that looked the part the way Jimmy does.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
The 9ers will suck until the organization rids itself of its major problem . . . Jed York.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2ry5a7cz said:
The 9ers will suck until the organization rids itself of its major problem . . . Jed York.

m'kay.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":g8gcztzj said:
What DOES look similar though is his demeanor in the pocket. He's the last guy that looked the part the way Jimmy does.

Oh, yeah, I know you and me both have been watching those precision touch passes over out-stretched defenders' fingers off the back foot and trying to contain or giddiness.

Out of the pocket too.

I'd bet money that on that non-TD to Kittle in the corner two weeks ago you were also watching and thinking to yourself "damn if that's not an inch or two off from being an absolutely perfect recreation of the Immaculate Reception." :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3hfz2tvd said:
Marvin49":3hfz2tvd said:

Oh, yeah, I know you and me both have been watching those precision touch passes over out-stretched defenders' fingers off the back foot and trying to contain or giddiness.

Out of the pocket too.

I'd bet money that on that non-TD to Kittle in the corner two weeks ago you were also watching and thinking to yourself "damn if that's not an inch or two off from being an absolutely perfect recreation of the Immaculate Reception." :lol:

LOL.

I'm usually not given to hyperbole and try to be fairly level headed...

...but Jimmys performance so far is really testing me. I keep having to remind myself that its a small sample size...but MAN has he looked good.

He's doing this with Goodwin and Taylor of all people. Now I like those guys but they are a far cry from legit #1 or #2 WRs. Good QBs make players around them better and Goodwin has had back to back career games.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":3269ppby said:
Maulbert":3269ppby said:
Marvin49":3269ppby said:
NINEster":3269ppby said:
Interesting take. Could be very accurate, but seeing that critique first from a Hawks forum...... :mrgreen:

Joe Montana gave the Niners 10 seasons as a starter, and missed quite a bit of action (knocked out of '86 and '90 playoff games against Giants), had back surgery and missed some games in '86. He was a tough SOB but he definitely missed action. He wasn't going to be Eli Manning on the durability level (who should have died in Candlestick several years ago but didn't...).

If Montana could survive the '80s, I wager Jimmy G with some luck can have a real NFL career. Kinda interesting how that OL suddenly learned how to pass protect last weekend.

RG3 if he played like Kirk Cousins would be fine. But he tried to play like Cam Newton.

On behalf of all Niner fans, we're content to see Shanalynch roll the dice in that respect.

Montana was about 6'2" and 205 and played in a different era. You could say that the players now are bigger and faster, but you can also point out that QBs are protected MUCH more now than they were back then.

Jimmy G has at least 20 lbs (226lbs) on Montana and is pretty thick in his lower body.

ANYONE can get hurt on any play (just look at Shazier last night...jeez) but I don't think his size is really a concern. Russell Wilson BTW was 5'11", 215lbs at the combine.

But what people miss about Wilson's size is that he's short, not small. He's got some mass on his frame that is often overlooked that I feel plays well into his durability. Not speaking about Garropolo, I don't know his measurables, but skinny guys tend to have more injury issues than small guys. When Wilson was drafted, no one said he was too small to play football, just that he was too short to play QB.

Yeah, Wilson is built more like a RB than a QB. I agree with you there.

My point tho was that Jimmy isn't frail. He's bigger than people think. One of the concerns around the combine was that he might be TOO muscular and people invoked the Brady Quinn name.

I don't think thats an issue. Anyone can get hurt tho at any time but I hope he can stay healthy as right now he looks to be the guy for quite some time.

Well, again, I wasn't accusing Garoppolo of being fragile, I honestly don't know his measurables, I'll take your word for it. I was simply attempting to dispel the myth that small=fragile. As an example of skinny being a bigger issue, Paul Richardson, who is finally breaking out for the Hawks this season after 3 years of injuries, is listed at 6'1", 176lbs. He's taller than Wilson, but he looks tiny next to him. And like I said, he's struggled to stay healthy.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Why are people arguing whether Jimmy G is fragile? Seems like a complete nonfactor until an injury actually happens. Could happen to any QB, contact or no contact. Carson Wentz is massive and he just tore his ACL when a Rams player hit his leg when he was diving. Definitely feels like reaching to criticize a guy.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
What is the Whiner confidence level that Garoppolo will even be re-signed? He could sign elsewhere if cheap Jed is unwilling to pay the savior. If that happens, it will be fun to watch Marvin explain it away.

:snack:

SF49r

Reaction score
If only we had Jimmy g starting this season, I know for a fact we'd be sitting at least 8-5 right now despite our lack of talent. A great QB can do so much for your team it's crazy. And York doesn't handle players contracts, that's all on Lynch.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SF49r":269v2yfp said:
If only we had Jimmy g starting this season, I know for a fact we'd be sitting at least 8-5 right now despite our lack of talent. A great QB can do so much for your team it's crazy. And York doesn't handle players contracts, that's all on Lynch.

I know you're being passionate about your team, but it's impossible to "Know for a fact" something that didn't happen. You can be 100% confident that would have happened, but it's still just an opinion and nothing "fact based" about it.

SF49r

Reaction score
Mkay. But every niner fan who has seen every game this season can agree that there were about 5-6 winnable games this season if we had better quarterback play. Colts, cardinals ×2, redskins, and first Seahawks game come to mind.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SF49r":6yx641ql said:
Mkay. But every niner fan who has seen every game this season can agree that there were about 5-6 winnable games this season if we had better quarterback play. Colts, cardinals ×2, redskins, and first Seahawks game come to mind.

Did I say it wasn't possible? There's just a huge difference between facts and opinions and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine is all. He (and anyone else) is free to have the opinion that the qb change would make the Niners an 8-5 team right now, but it's still not a fact.

rlkats

Reaction score
hawknation2017":12j545br said:
What is the Whiner confidence level that Garoppolo will even be re-signed? He could sign elsewhere if cheap Jed is unwilling to pay the savior. If that happens, it will be fun to watch Marvin explain it away.

I don’t know what Whiner fans think but us Niner fans are hopeful and confident that at least franchise tag will be put on him. But I’d like to think that as long as Kyle and John are around and they like him (which looks like they do). I see no reason he doesn’t get a HUGE contract.

Now stop being a turd lol.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2gxkgl2g said:

Very High.

Jed being cheap is and always has been a misnomer. Up until Chip got a new job, Jed was paying THREE HCs at the same time (Shanahan/Tomsula/Chip). For several years they were right up against the cap had the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL under Harbaugh. That thing was about personalities, not money.

As far as Garoppolo goes, they'll either franchise him or give him a big contract extension in the offseason.

I'd be stunned if he gets away.

They are so far below the cap BTW that they actually NEED to spend money to reach the salary floor.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SF49r":1i24tffa said:

I wouldn't go that far. I don't like to play that game to be honest. Who knows if Jimmy even survives if he starts in week 1.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SF49r":1afjsf21 said:

Well they lost 5 games in a row by 3 points or less...but they would have been entirely different games with a different QB.

Thats why I don't like playing those games. Niners are 3-10. Doesn't matter how they got there. You are what you are.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":3mre5jxy said:
hawknation2017":3mre5jxy said:

I don’t know what Whiner fans think but us Niner fans are hopeful and confident that at least franchise tag will be put on him. But I’d like to think that as long as Kyle and John are around and they like him (which looks like they do). I see no reason he doesn’t get a HUGE contract.

Now stop being a turd lol.

Honestly I don't think Belichick even trades him to SF if he doesn't think the chances are very high he resigns in SF. The last things he wants is a team turning around and flipping him to a team in the AFC like Denver or Jacksonville.

Belichick made sure he found a team that would suit Jimmy (IE he'd want to sign long term) that was in the NFC. That is another reason why it was only for a 2. He could have gotten more from an AFC team but he didn't want to see Jimmy on a team the Pats were going to be playing in the Playoffs in a few years.

SF49r

Reaction score
You're right Marvin I'm just being a Homer lol. Haven't felt this hype about our team in a while just gotta look forward to next season and enjoy our extended preseason right now lol.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SF49r":1xm417hv said:
You're right Marvin I'm just being a Homer lol. Haven't felt this hype about our team in a while just gotta look forward to next season and enjoy our extended preseason right now lol.

:2thumbs:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
The Whiners have $57 million in unused cap space. The only team that has spent less this season is the Cleveland Browns -- by $1 million. That is more than $25 million less than any other NFL team.

And Jed is not cheap? LOL.