49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

SF49r

Reaction score
Only stat that matters is he was 5-0 with 2 of them being late 4th quarter comebacks, he just needs to get better in the redzone too many times they had to settle for a field goal inside the 10, Gould hit like 18 field goals in those 5 games

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SF49r":3qwoafki said:
Only stat that matters is he was 5-0 with 2 of them being late 4th quarter comebacks, he just needs to get better in the redzone too many times they had to settle for a field goal inside the 10, Gould hit like 18 field goals in those 5 games
He’d better improve that ratio or he will be mediocre at best.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2e0bfhj7 said:
I don't know, Popeye. Even with the on-going influx of inflating contracts, increasing caps, and the incredible amount of cap space the '9ers have, this seems off. It seems like a move made by someone more concerned with butts in seats than taking calculated risks to build advantages over the rest of the league. It was similar to what so many other teams do, like a move that'll help the 49ers rejoin the plethora of playoff and playoff hopeful teams but perhaps not surpass them. In a word, it was safe. If I'm a '9er fan and feeling on the brink of some good seasons to come, I'd have hoped for more than safe.

What would you have done? (Real question)

Safe to me would have been slapping him with the franchise tag, not signing him long term.

JimmyG

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":bbv9c3ec said:
Am I the only one that thinks Jimmy G is overrated? 6 TD passing, 1 Rushing TD to 5 INT in 5 games, that don't scream anything special to me. I guess we will see this next season if they hit the jackpot, or took a hit on too many pots.

I will give him that he can move the chains and sets up his Running backs who can actually score in the red zone and has a kicker that actually won a game for them.
Look at the numbers before and after Garoppolo got there. It's staggering. Here's the link Popeye provided (https://s6.postimg.org/jjxo0mm8x/BJG.jpg).

Look at his supporting cast. The receivers the 49ers were running out there the second half of the season were pathetic. Kendrick Bourne (UDFA)? Aldrick Robinson? Louis Murphy? Trent Taylor? Marquis Goodwin was a Buffalo castoff and he looked like a star in the second half of the season. I agree his TD/INT numbers were underwhelming, but his overall efficiency -- and the offense has a whole -- was astounding. It's also hard to ignore that he inherited a 1-10 team and finished with five straight wins.

What is his production going to look like with a real supporting cast? They could sign a guy like Allen Robinson, and suddenly go into next season with Pierre Garcon, Allen Robinson, Marquis Goodwin, and Trent Taylor. Also, Garoppolo had been with the 49ers for what -- a month before he got there? The system New England ran was completely different than what Shanahan runs. Imagine a real supporting cast, plus a full offseason to digest and master Shanahan's system.

They paid a ton, but that's sort of par for the course with QBs these days. I think it takes a pretty cynical lens to not be impressed by what he accomplished. The NFC West is suddenly looking like it has a lot of competition again.

SF49r

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":242jmqpi said:
SF49r":242jmqpi said:
We need a red zone target bad, too many small quick receivers.. Jimmy Graham pls

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SF49r":2nepubfn said:
Sports Hernia":2nepubfn said:
SF49r":2nepubfn said:
We need a red zone target bad, too many small quick receivers.. Jimmy Graham pls
As long as Bevell isn’t your OC, I think “I’m Jimmy” would beast down there.
In other words, I hope you don’t get him. 8)

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":8eioknlm said:
SF49r":8eioknlm said:

Every time I have tried to type something in an attempt to criticize Jimmy, I keep remembering that the stats he had during his 5-0 run was with basically a bunch of practice squad replacements, so it’s difficult to criticize what he did knowing that the bigger picture is he turned a legit 1-10 loser of a team into a squad that NOBODY in the postseason would have wanted to see. I mean he kicked the Jaguars off their pedestal by dropping 44 points on them with basically BACKUPS!

The dude elevated all the players around him, and put them in starter costumes making them look the part.

Knowing all that it’s extremely difficult to say anything negative about him or the Niners choice to pay him like they did.

I for one am looking forward to the competition within the division.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
So I’m going to choose to bite my homer tongue so I don’t have to eat a ton of crow later.

This makes me even more so DESPERATE for us to right our ship so that we can compete against them next year. As it seems right now that we are just starting what the Niners went through the last few years.

Because if I have to watch us clawing for 3rd behind the Niners and Rams next year, I’m gonna freakin’ lose it!

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Popeyejones":25ds4ukt said:
BirdsCommaAngry":25ds4ukt said:
I don't know, Popeye. Even with the on-going influx of inflating contracts, increasing caps, and the incredible amount of cap space the '9ers have, this seems off. It seems like a move made by someone more concerned with butts in seats than taking calculated risks to build advantages over the rest of the league. It was similar to what so many other teams do, like a move that'll help the 49ers rejoin the plethora of playoff and playoff hopeful teams but perhaps not surpass them. In a word, it was safe. If I'm a '9er fan and feeling on the brink of some good seasons to come, I'd have hoped for more than safe.

Safe to me would have been slapping him with the franchise tag, not signing him long term.

Try to sign him for less. Even with the simple perspective of a fan, SF looks like an incredible opportunity to work with a seemingly exceptional offensive mind and to be the hero of a previously down-trodden franchise. Why would Jimmy G. need this much of a financial incentive to stay?

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2fgkv3d8 said:
Popeyejones":2fgkv3d8 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":2fgkv3d8 said:

Try to sign him for less. Even with the simple perspective of a fan, SF looks like an incredible opportunity to work with a seemingly exceptional offensive mind and to be the hero of a previously down-trodden franchise. Why would Jimmy G. need this much of a financial incentive to stay?

Don’t think that his contract is going to seem that big after the rest of the QB’s sign their extensions/contracts soon. It just seems large due to the fact that his was before the others.

Marvin49

Reaction score
JimmyG":2zu4n8lc said:
theincrediblesok":2zu4n8lc said:
Am I the only one that thinks Jimmy G is overrated? 6 TD passing, 1 Rushing TD to 5 INT in 5 games, that don't scream anything special to me. I guess we will see this next season if they hit the jackpot, or took a hit on too many pots.

I will give him that he can move the chains and sets up his Running backs who can actually score in the red zone and has a kicker that actually won a game for them.
Look at the numbers before and after Garoppolo got there. It's staggering. Here's the link Popeye provided (https://s6.postimg.org/jjxo0mm8x/BJG.jpg).

Look at his supporting cast. The receivers the 49ers were running out there the second half of the season were pathetic. Kendrick Bourne (UDFA)? Aldrick Robinson? Louis Murphy? Trent Taylor? Marquis Goodwin was a Buffalo castoff and he looked like a star in the second half of the season. I agree his TD/INT numbers were underwhelming, but his overall efficiency -- and the offense has a whole -- was astounding. It's also hard to ignore that he inherited a 1-10 team and finished with five straight wins.

What is his production going to look like with a real supporting cast? They could sign a guy like Allen Robinson, and suddenly go into next season with Pierre Garcon, Allen Robinson, Marquis Goodwin, and Trent Taylor. Also, Garoppolo had been with the 49ers for what -- a month before he got there? The system New England ran was completely different than what Shanahan runs. Imagine a real supporting cast, plus a full offseason to digest and master Shanahan's system.

They paid a ton, but that's sort of par for the course with QBs these days. I think it takes a pretty cynical lens to not be impressed by what he accomplished. The NFC West is suddenly looking like it has a lot of competition again.

Beat me to it.

To piggyback a bit...

People quoting his TD/INT ratio...man that's comical. WATCH THE GAMES. The 49ers scored on 64% of their drives with Jimmy G at QB. By way of comparison NE scored on 51%.

Hows this for performance. When he was in there THE ENTIRE TEAM was better. How much better?

YARDS PER GAME
Before Garoppolo: 321.7 (21st in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 410.0 (1st in NFL*)
Total: 349.3 (12th in NFL)

NET PASSING PER GAME
Before Garoppolo: 221.8 (17th in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 297.0 (1st in NFL*)
Total: 245.3 (9th in NFL)

THIRD DOWNS
Before Garoppolo: 34.1 percent (26th in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 50.0 percent (1st in NFL*)
Total: 38.9 percent (16th in NFL)

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
Before Garoppolo: 56.6 percent (31st in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 67.0 percent (3rd in NFL*)
Total: 59.6 percent (25th in NFL)

SACKS ALLOWED
Before Garoppolo: 35 (tied for 6th most in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 8 (27th most in NFL*)
Total: 43 (tied for 11th most in NFL)

TIME OF POSSESSION
Before Garoppolo: 27:36 (31st in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 32:54 (1st in NFL*)
Total: 28:44 (26th in NFL)

POINTS PER GAME
Before Garoppolo: 17.0 (28th in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 28.8 (2nd in NFL*)
Total: 20.9 (20th in NFL)

He did that without playing a single down with their best WR, Pierre Garcon. He did that without a redzone threat and a month to learn the offense.

So come on...don't quote one cherrypicked stat (TD/INT) and pretend like that the end all. How about this stat....8.8 Yards per ATTEMPT. Here's another one. No team in NFL history that started 1-10 had EVER finished better than 3-13. The 49ers went 6-10. That had never happened before. Ever.

I can do this all day. This isn't an illusion. Now I'm certain there will come a time when he has struggles, but I got ZERO problem with that contract. None...particularly now that I've seen the structure.

There are times when you watch a guy play and you can just see it. You can see when a guy just has that "it" that is so hard to define.

Anyone who watched him without prejudice can see...the dude has "it".

Marvin49

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3qw1wsu4 said:
QuickLightning":3qw1wsu4 said:
I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

It's not that he didn't look good. It's that you couldn't get him for less due to him having only started half a season. It was a chance to possibly get an excellent player inked to a more advantageous contract for the rest of the team - for winning a championship.

Honestly, this just ain't how it works.

Jimmys agent knew if they didn't sign him to a long term deal they'd have to franchise him. Means the START point is the value of the tag.

If you add up tagging a player three times its going to be roughly 80-90 mil...which is the value of Jimmys contract in the first 3 years.

It is structured however to be front-loaded (since they have so much space now) so that in a few years they could cut him with relatively little dead money. If he is what they think he is, a huge portion is paid out in the first few years which leaves them with the ability to resign some guys when their rookie contracts expire. Most contracts for QBs get bigger and bigger in later years of the deal. Jimmys deal is huge in year 1, much smaller in year 2, and then pretty stable in years 3-5...meaning it doesn't increase with the cap as many others are.

Bottom line, Jimmy was simply next. Thats the way this works. People always get up in arms about what a guy is "worth". Thats bogus. Doesn't work that way. Whatever halfway decent QB is next in line will get the biggest deal. Jimmys status as highest paid player won't even survive the offseason. He'll fall to the 2nd or 3rd spot before Kickoff on opening day.

When Jimmy is makin' 26 mil or so in a few years, Wilson will sign his contract and it'll likely be way north of 30.

Crizilla

Reaction score
The guy came in and completely changed the culture of the team. I'm hoping for week 1 to be prime time against SF. NFC West is back to being one of the toughest divisions again. Seahawks, Rams, and Niners will be duking it out for years to come.

adeltaY

Reaction score
It's almost like TD/INT ratio isn't that meaningful of a stat without context...Derek Carr was 28/6 last year.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Marvin49":nro7rcud said:
Honestly, this just ain't how it works.

Jimmys agent knew if they didn't sign him to a long term deal they'd have to franchise him. Means the START point is the value of the tag.

If you add up tagging a player three times its going to be roughly 80-90 mil...which is the value of Jimmys contract in the first 3 years.

It is structured however to be front-loaded (since they have so much space now) so that in a few years they could cut him with relatively little dead money. If he is what they think he is, a huge portion is paid out in the first few years which leaves them with the ability to resign some guys when their rookie contracts expire. Most contracts for QBs get bigger and bigger in later years of the deal. Jimmys deal is huge in year 1, much smaller in year 2, and then pretty stable in years 3-5...meaning it doesn't increase with the cap as many others are.

Bottom line, Jimmy was simply next. Thats the way this works. People always get up in arms about what a guy is "worth". Thats bogus. Doesn't work that way. Whatever halfway decent QB is next in line will get the biggest deal. Jimmys status as highest paid player won't even survive the offseason. He'll fall to the 2nd or 3rd spot before Kickoff on opening day.

When Jimmy is makin' 26 mil or so in a few years, Wilson will sign his contract and it'll likely be way north of 30.

Regardless of whether or not he's "worth" it, they probably could've kept him for less. Rather than ignoring his inexperience, it could've been an opportunity to make a more cost-efficient roster than other teams rather than a comparably cost-efficient roster. It could've been an opportunity to say "Hey, we're building something special here and it's worth leaving some money on the table to be a part of it." It's so safe. If this unwillingness to play even a little hardball continues, how would a playoff team be maintained? I don't think Schneider made a single player the highest paid player at their position for any period of time during his multitude of long-term contracts.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":29aal45k said:
Popeyejones":29aal45k said:
BirdsCommaAngry":29aal45k said:

Try to sign him for less.

Well, I mean, yeah, sure, why not. :lol:

If you want to know what the structure of the deal is, for years 1 and 2 they're more or less paying him two years of the franchise tag. From years 3-5 he's getting 25 million per year but there's not really any dead money if they want to more on from him after year 2. I'd guess by year 3 that 25 APY will put him in the 10-15 range for QB salaries.

The issue with just franchising him this year instead of signing him is three or four guys are about to reset the QB market in the next few months, and then Wilson is going to reset it again probably. Basically, unless he totally flames out you're going to end up paying him even more APY next year or franchise him twice anyway.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
2_0_6":32wffre8 said:
Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:
Kap looked good against Chicago, then the very next week started to look more like the Kap of today. HE never changed much. What changed was Randy Moss and Delanie Walker left, Vernon Davis got old, Anthony Davis retired to smoke weed, Mike Iupati and Frank Gore left, Ted Ginn left, Mario Manningham left, Alex Boone left, Jonathan Goodwin retired, Bruce Miller got cut, and so on.

Jimmy G didn’t have all that. He was throwing to Lewis Murphy, Marquise Goodwin and some rookies, and he had the likes of terrible GUARD Zane Beadles blocking for him at RIGHT TACKLE. Put Jimmy G on the 2012 49ers and that team is significantly better.

I know good quarterbacking when I see it. Kap never progressed beyond “potential.” Garoppolo even without any further improvement will be a quality starter. Why? Because he makes fast reads and gets ride of the ball quickly, and even though he has “game manager” tendencies, he can consistently throw in the 12-25 yard window that makes it hard to do the Alex Smith defense against him, and he can throw under pressure and convert third downs. If he DOESN’T progress, he will still be a worthy starter.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
2_0_6":k9mhq7qm said:
Marvin49":k9mhq7qm said:
2_0_6":k9mhq7qm said:
Kap sure looked good in filling in for Smith. Im sure you guys remember that guy.

:lol:

Fair, but I don't think even Seahawks fans here would say they think he'll be Kap.

You can say what you want about the money and its ludicrous, but thats the cost of doing business. It is what it is. Washington tried to fight it for several years and ended up losing the guy and trading for a guy 3 or 4 years older who isn't as good and them paying HIM what you wouldn't pay the other guy to start with.

Niners don't sign players to dumb contracts. Say what you want but they a smart about contract structure.

It'll be front loaded and they'll be able to get out of it if need be.

Eight games into Kap's career he looked like the next biggest superstar, and where are we at with jimmy? 8 games in, that's all Im saying.
Rodgers also got extended after 7 starts. That seemed to work out.

And Rosgers and Garoppolo have a LOT more in common in play style and strengths than Garoppolo and Kap.