49ers sux

HansGruber

Reaction score
The 49ers offense sucks because they're not showing their hand? Not sure I'm buying that. At all.

You don't stick your starters in the game and allow them to get hit the way Kaepernick did today just to hide your plays. And vanilla play schemes or not, that offense looks BAD. Terrible, actually.

Kaepernick isn't running to elude the rush because that's what Harbaugh wants. It's not an accident. The 49ers realize the Seahawks have Kaepernick figured out and they're trying to expand his skill set, turn him into more than a single-read-and-run QB. Harbaugh knows this his last shot with the Niners, he'll either prove that Kaep was worth the trouble, or he won't be with the team come February. If the Niners lose to the Seahawks in the playoffs again, and Kaep has a game like the last one, Harbaugh is done in Santa Clara.

Whatever the case, Kaepernick is clearly struggling. He's underthrowing guys and overthrowing guys by a big margin on some plays, which is probably just timing issues, working with new receivers, etc. I'm sure he'll get it figured out a bit as the season progresses, but they're going to start slow and it's going to cost them the NFCW.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I thought their punter looked good, although to be fair he had a lot of chances to shine.

chris98251

Reaction score
HansGruber":2pywfmh3 said:
The 49ers offense sucks because they're not showing their hand? Not sure I'm buying that. At all.

You don't stick your starters in the game and allow them to get hit the way Kaepernick did today just to hide your plays. And vanilla play schemes or not, that offense looks BAD. Terrible, actually.

Kaepernick isn't running to elude the rush because that's what Harbaugh wants. It's not an accident. The 49ers realize the Seahawks have Kaepernick figured out and they're trying to expand his skill set, turn him into more than a single-read-and-run QB. Harbaugh knows this his last shot with the Niners, he'll either prove that Kaep was worth the trouble, or he won't be with the team come February. If the Niners lose to the Seahawks in the playoffs again, and Kaep has a game like the last one, Harbaugh is done in Santa Clara.

Whatever the case, Kaepernick is clearly struggling. He's underthrowing guys and overthrowing guys by a big margin on some plays, which is probably just timing issues, working with new receivers, etc. I'm sure he'll get it figured out a bit as the season progresses, but they're going to start slow and it's going to cost them the NFCW.

Yes and no, yes because they are not running the playbook the will normally run. No because Harbaugh is about principle and forcing an issue, two years same mistakes, he is now force feeding Kaep to grow, stay in the pocket and make it work or throw it away etc. Trying to force him to grow and not rely on his legs.

Remember he is from the school of Bo, tough love when he felt it was needed. Harbaugh was mobile as well and cocky. Bo took him to school and built him up as a more responsible leader.

I think a lot of that is now happening here.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I have never seen Marvin write posts that were so concise. Is this a sign the Niners are in trouble?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":19vmns63 said:
But what the hell is wrong with Mike Iupati. Almost got Kap killed twice and getting dominated vs the run.

He's coming back from a broken leg. Honestly, you should have expected this.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I don't see the point of running a different playbook. Coaches know your tendencies once the season starts anyway. All that would do is steal practice reps from the staters, and make it impossible to evaluate the backups.

I'm not pulling that out of thin air either. I've heard multiple coaches dismiss that as silly in interviews. Belichick, when asked about the Jets stealing his playbook, said everyone has everyone else's playbook anyway, that most of the coaches have worked together, know each other, and share info in the off-season anyway. Carroll said the same thing and also said the Seahawks don't hide anything because they need the practice. Holmgren said the same thing. I've heard many coaches say that and it makes sense.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They get the Cowboys in the opener who may field the worst defense of all time. Then they get a Chicago team that we just shredded. Their offense should look good in those first two games. If not, then it's going to be a LONG season for them. :snack:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree on the playcalling. No one is trying to hide anything and with coaching trees resembling bamboo sticks everyone knows everyone's plays. They might run a conservative offense in the preseason but nothing more than that. The offense has looked bad and Kaep does look way off. I would expect him to get much better in short order. If not, then San Fran will struggle to make the playoffs. That defense isn't going to be able to carry them like in years past and the offensive line without Boone, won't either. I expect them to figure it out though and be in the mix, albeit with moderate regression this year.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":303o58xk said:
austinslater25":303o58xk said:
How bad is the Martin injury? That could be big. My buess is Iupati will be fine. He's been a beast up until this point so doubt he struggles when it matters.

I know its the preseason and they can iron this stuff out but the offense has just looked bad. The defense will definitely regress and had a pedestrian DVOA last year before the injuries. If the offense can pick up the slack San Fran could be in trouble.

Dunno on Martin. MRI tomorrow. Didn't look like much, but you never know with knees.

It's probably another knee dislocation. He had that happen a few months ago and knee dislocations often become recurring injuries. This is one of the reasons I didn't want the Seahawks to consider drafting Martin: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=92608&p=1336322&hilit=martin#p1336322

"This condition happens when the patella is forced out of its natural place located in the trochlear groove of the femur. As this happens, articular cartilage behind the knee cap can be damaged, and the soft tissue that holds the patella in its correct position can be stretched or torn. Dislocations become easier and occur more frequently after the initial dislocation."

https://www.rcmclinic.com/patient-info/ ... clocations

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I've been saying for a while letting Goodwin walk was risky. Kilgore so far seems lost as does Iupati. Kaep looking bad has much to do with the pressure he has been under. If the o-line play doesn't improve significantly and rapidly they are going to struggle mightily and those weapons will be useless.

We went through this with Chris Spencer. It's easy to think you can just plug another centerin and not skip a beat but good centers are as important as a good left tackle and bad ones are hard to identify because it is other area's that fail when they are the problem.

Going to be interesting. We might get to see what Kaep looks like when he's under the kind of pressure Wilson was all last season. Take away bolding and Crabtree with that kind of protection and imagine what he would look like.

Cell ph oink ne typing so please forgive spelling.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Regarding them not wanting to show anything in the preseason, that doesn't exactly account for losing 1 on 1 battles at the line of scrimmage, errant throws, no pocket presence and bad footwork at the QB spot.

The argument hasn't been that they weren't creative enough on offense, it's that they were getting blown off the line on both sides of the ball (more so on offense) and the quarterback couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for the first 2 series.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":auy9qn0g said:
I've been saying for a while letting Goodwin walk was risky. Kilgore so far seems lost as does Iupati. Kaep looking bad has much to do with the pressure he has been under. If the o-line play doesn't improve significantly and rapidly they are going to struggle mightily and those weapons will be useless.

We went through this with Chris Spencer. It's easy to think you can just plug another centerin and not skip a beat but good centers are as important as a good left tackle and bad ones are hard to identify because it is other area's that fail when they are the problem.

Going to be interesting. We might get to see what Kaep looks like when he's under the kind of pressure Wilson was all last season. Take away bolding and Crabtree with that kind of protection and imagine what he would look like.

Cell ph oink ne typing so please forgive spelling.

Iupati hasn't played well at all but not sure where you are getting that on Kilgore.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":37x3s2ap said:
Regarding them not wanting to show anything in the preseason, that doesn't exactly account for losing 1 on 1 battles at the line of scrimmage, errant throws, no pocket presence and bad footwork at the QB spot.

The argument hasn't been that they weren't creative enough on offense, it's that they were getting blown off the line on both sides of the ball (more so on offense) and the quarterback couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for the first 2 series.

With the starters back, they did NOT get "blown off the ball" on D.

As for Colin, I'm really not concerned. O-Line? THAT's a concern. Dunno what the prob is. Peeps keep sayin "Man, we need Boone back" but Looney and Martin haven't played badly. Looney has actually been pretty good. Anthony Davis will take back that RT spot.

The problems have come largely from Iupati, tho someone (Ingram?) got the best of Staley on the goal line and he almost gave up a safety.

As for this whole "vanilla" thing....I think what we are seeing is the 49ers playing straight shotgun or drop back passing. No rollouts, no pistol, no nothing. Very little play action. Essentially playing it straight up. Colin is sitting back there in the pocket and he's getting crushed because Iupati couldn't block Luiget to save his life. I dunno for sure, but I think a few of those "overthrows" were just cap trying to get the ball out and prevent a loss. I don't know for sure tho.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":27ccszne said:
Laloosh":27ccszne said:

As for Colin, I'm really not concerned. O-Line? THAT's a concern. Dunno what the prob is. Peeps keep sayin "Man, we need Boone back" but Looney and Martin haven't played badly. Looney has actually been pretty good. Anthony Davis will take back that RT spot.

The problems have come largely from Iupati, tho someone (Ingram?) got the best of Staley on the goal line and he almost gave up a safety.

As for this whole "vanilla" thing....I think what we are seeing is the 49ers playing straight shotgun or drop back passing. No rollouts, no pistol, no nothing. Very little play action. Essentially playing it straight up. Colin is sitting back there in the pocket and he's getting crushed because Iupati couldn't block Luiget to save his life. I dunno for sure, but I think a few of those "overthrows" were just cap trying to get the ball out and prevent a loss. I don't know for sure tho.

Marv, go back and read my post. It's obvious that I was talking about offense primarily but yes, they were getting blown off the line on run D at times. Go read your own forums, it's not just me saying it.

Last time I checked, everybody's playing pretty vanilla in the preseason. Not sure how losing matchups can be blamed (in any way) on being vanilla. Either you're blocking your guy or you're not. Either you're hitting receivers or you're not. Issue wasn't receivers getting open, right?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2vlxdrxd said:
Marvin49":2vlxdrxd said:
Laloosh":2vlxdrxd said:

Marv, go back and read my post. It's obvious that I was talking about offense primarily but yes, they were getting blown off the line on run D at times. Go read your own forums, it's not just me saying it.

Last time I checked, everybody's playing pretty vanilla in the preseason. Not sure how losing matchups can be blamed (in any way) on being vanilla. Either you're blocking your guy or you're not. Either you're hitting receivers or you're not. Issue wasn't receivers getting open, right?

Oh...NOW you want to believe 49er forums. LOL. :D

D is fine.

Dunno where you think I'm not concerned. Iupati played like garbage and got beat like a drum several times. They were playing vanilla O and he couldn't simply block his man one on one on run or pass downs.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2k9ygll5 said:

Straw 16311596

Keep going Marv see how much you can grasp.

Largent80

Reaction score
Any way you spin it, I am quite sure most 9er fans shouldn't be feeling all warm and fuzzy at this moment.

They look like dog doo, and their new field resembles a cabbage patch.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Largent80":3gqehkda said:
Any way you spin it, I am quite sure most 9er fans shouldn't be feeling all warm and fuzzy at this moment.

They look like dog doo, and their new field resembles a cabbage patch.

The media ooohs and aaahs over the Santa Clara 40-Whiners stadium. To me, it looks like someone cooked the books and pocketed about 600 Million of the 1.2 Billion price tag. Totally uninspired dog turd.

Weadoption

Reaction score
I thought the stadium was pretty badass, there must be bazillion monitors in that place.
Sun just beat down on us though it was definitely 15 dollar cold beer time.
My thoughts on the upcoming year for this team are no different than last year really.
The secondary will struggle at times but the front 7 D will be more than good enough barring additional injuries or bomb threats.
The O line will gel and be average to good in pass blocking and very good in run blocking.
The running game will we good to very good.
My real worry for the team really starts and ends with the play and decision making of Kap.
All other considerations pale in comparison to him learning how to exist and succeed in the pocket.
Dude is still the king of the 1-read bailout laser throw(usually Boldin).
He just makes the game look hard at times, while RW seems to do exactly the opposite.
If the game ever slows down for him mentally he could still be Jesus with a football.