A couple observations

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2vn06kxl said:
Fudwamper":2vn06kxl said:
I liked what I saw out of Keiro Small. I think it was his first or second play, he pancaked some guy in open space. Dude is a wrecking ball. (Personal bias disclaimer, he is my adopt a rookie.)
That low center of gravity, and his cannon ball build, is damned hard to slow down, and if he gets any kind of a momentum going?, look out. :shock:
He reminds me of that old Cowboy fullback Robert Newsome. The guy was a fire hydrant almost literally.

Donn2390

Reaction score
MLOhawks":1be8z5lj said:
Pryor experiment at QB is over, I want him playing WR or TE.
I believe Pete is giving Pryor plenty of game action so he himself can come to the realization that he isn't a qb. Then have the chat, play where we want you or find another team who won't let your play qb either...
Be a star where we put you, or fade into obscurity... Stubborn only gets you so far if the talent isn't there...

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Treghc":h418enpx said:
hawkfan68":h418enpx said:
Pryor couldn't hit a broad side of a barn throwing the ball but maybe he could running it.

He threw a damned near perfect pass to Richardson, but Richardson seemed to put on the brakes a bit before attempting a leaping catch when he could've just ran through the route and caught the ball in stride. (likely would've made Pryor 3/4).

I disagree on the Richardson throw. Re-watching the play, the ball is under thrown. If Richardson had been in full stride that entire time, the ball would have hit the CB in the back with Richardson a couple yards downfield. Richardson realized this and slowed to give him space in front of the CB to try and make the catch. Obviously his jump was mis-timed, but smart play on his part I thought.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Polk738":316noo7x said:
The first half offense was just lights out, they almost looked like a completely different team out there and I think the OL had a huge part in it, It's amazing what a difference a decent OL can do for the offense. It wasn't chopped up like last week. Turbin wasn't going down after first contact either, and its great to see he is actually improving for once. That 47 yard run of his last night was a thing of beauty, I'm almost certain that if that had been Lynch he would've taken that one all the way. Percy Harvin is the X-factor to this offense, he draws so much attention when he lines up out there-hence that great catch by Zach Miller when he drew the safey away. Looked good in the screen game too. I think we just got a taste of the new and "improved" Seahawks offense.

I think you mean if that was CW he would have taken that to the house. Lynch is more of a tank while CW is more of a sports car.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":xpqkrxu1 said:
Anthony!":xpqkrxu1 said:
Pryor to date

So lets see to date he is 10-20 50% complt, 147 yards, 1 int 0 tds, 49 qb rating and you think that is good? WOW , I mean that is horrible.

And you guys want him really? wow and do not forget if PC thinks he can with TP it might cost us RW.
Do you seriously believe Pete and John would let Russ go? Really? Cuz if so, you're just not seeing what they know this guy is about to become and that's a first ballot hall of famer. His decision making process is unreal, and he has the "it" factor few QBs have. The chances of PC and JS letting Pryor "cost us RW" are about as good as me getting a date with Scarlett Johansen next week (and if you saw my picture from the Super Bowl trophy stop in Vancouver, WA in a thread I started earlier this summer, you'd know that flat out ain't gonna happen).

I was only going what the OP said with this comment " I think Pete has a crush. I also think Pete believes he can win with Pryor. " I did not say I by it, mainly because I do no tthink you can win with TP.

10-20, 49 qb rating, he is not a QB, he is a run first one rad RB who can throw a little.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Someone had mentioned that stashing Pryor on PS in one of the above posts. I don't believe that is an option. He has played in too many games to be PS eligible.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
If Richardson tried to catch that pass in stride, he would be in the hospital right now. The correct way to catch that ball is to high-point it, he just jumped wayyyyyy too early. You see it happen early in the season when guys are used to playing without a helmet and pads. Hopefully he adjusts and realizes he can't hang up there for 9 seconds. Some guys adjust and start timing it right, some guys unfortunately just never consistently figure out the timing.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":2aahuxft said:
If Richardson tried to catch that pass in stride, he would be in the hospital right now. The correct way to catch that ball is to high-point it, he just jumped wayyyyyy too early. You see it happen early in the season when guys are used to playing without a helmet and pads. Hopefully he adjusts and realizes he can't hang up there for 9 seconds. Some guys adjust and start timing it right, some guys unfortunately just never consistently figure out the timing.

Agreed. I think about how Jermaine Kearse always seems to jump and extend his arms on every deep pass, it's just a good habit to be in.

On the WIIIIIIDE open catch by Miller, he jumped in the air to catch the ball even though he could have caught it in stride no problem and there were no defenders within 15 yards of him. Habit.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":27hwu56t said:
The Percy Harvin effect is astounding. Wilson could have gone to him on the pass to Miller, Percy had the corner and safety beat. Harvin draws 2, if not 3 sets of eyes every play. Bevell has to have a gameplan that gets Percy 10 touches besides kick returns every week. Simply replacing the 65 or so touches to Golden would be a total failure, Percy needs to have double that plus some.

I'm guessing Pete might disagree with me, but in the games Harvin has played, in terms of weapons available to Wilson, Harvin feels like the true centerpiece on the offense. Lynch is important, but he does not open up the offense like Harvin does IMO, and does not generate the "cheese" yardage that Harvin can on screens and end-arounds. At least a few plays a game, Harvin is good for an automatic 8 yard gain.

The surprising fact about Lynch is he faced only the 19th highest "stack the box" rate in 2012 (2013 data is not yet available). I'm not trying to undersell Lynch, but I think he opens up the passing game a lot less than we were probably assuming. Harvin on the other hand, routinely opens up huge plays for other receivers by demanding safety help and double teams constantly. When Harvin is on the field, it is almost like having a 12th and 13th player on offense.

That "extra player" effect is the real value Harvin brings. I don't know if Harvin will see 130+ touches, but I do think that Seattle will want Harvin to be active enough in the offense that defenses are forced to obsess over him. And it's harder to obsess over Harvin if he's only a five touches a game player.

In 2012, Harvin was on pace for 120 receptions and 72 carries before the Seahawk game that year. Even in the Seahawk loss he managed 6 touches in half a game. No other receiver in the NFL was going to come even close to the total workload Harvin was on pace for that year, and that was with career year AP in the Vikings backfield. In a year when Adrian Peterson just missed having the best season ever by a RB, Harvin was still arguably the focal point of the offense until he got hurt.

I know that Seattle likes to spread the ball around and the chances of Harvin having a 192 touch season here are basically zero. But I think you bring up a great point about Seattle needing to at least try for that kind of workload. The Vikings were 6-2 while channeling their offense through Percy. With Christian Ponder at QB. Seeing Wilson constantly looking for Harvin in the first half was a very encouraging sign I thought.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1lzvd041 said:
The Percy Harvin effect is astounding. Wilson could have gone to him on the pass to Miller, Percy had the corner and safety beat. Harvin draws 2, if not 3 sets of eyes every play. Bevell has to have a gameplan that gets Percy 10 touches besides kick returns every week. Simply replacing the 65 or so touches to Golden would be a total failure, Percy needs to have double that plus some.
I said it in the chat room and I'll say it again here, if we ride Percy like Stafford rides Megatron, we are going 19-0. I hope we don't try to just keep being a run first, run always team as much as we have been simply because it's Pete's overall philosophy. We have a special and unique talent with Percy, and even having him simply running routes as a decoy adds a big component to our offense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2vyoyzi8 said:
Scottemojo":2vyoyzi8 said:
I said it in the chat room and I'll say it again here, if we ride Percy like Stafford rides Megatron, we are going 19-0. I hope we don't try to just keep being a run first, run always team as much as we have been simply because it's Pete's overall philosophy. We have a special and unique talent with Percy, and even having him simply running routes as a decoy adds a big component to our offense.
Understand this, it's not Marshawn's team anymore it's all about Wilson and Harvin on offense trust that. Go ahead and stack the box and lose fast or not and lose slow... your choice and given the new rules it seems fast is the NFLs preference.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":22m1nhb4 said:
Understand this, it's not Marshawn's team anymore it's all about Wilson and Harvin on offense trust that.
I will believe it when I see it. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not doubting it, I'm waiting for confirmation. There's a difference.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":39af1z1m said:
MizzouHawkGal":39af1z1m said:
Understand this, it's not Marshawn's team anymore it's all about Wilson and Harvin on offense trust that.
I will believe it when I see it. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not doubting it, I'm waiting for confirmation. There's a difference.
I get you. But just think about it a bit...they are wanting 35-40 points on offense and 20-24 points given up on defense.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
It had better still be Marshawn's team. Find something that works to the tune of a Super Bowl Championship and then adjust your philosophy? Is the goal to win championships or put up numbers? I think the goal should be to run more and run more effectively, not less. Just, what, oh yeah, yesterday, we absolutely dominated a game by putting up something like 250 on the ground. Was that not good enough? There is zero doubt that Percy is going to get his. Marshawn and our defense feed off each other. It is a beautiful thing. Be very careful what you wish for.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical, there is no such thing as a perfect formula in the NFL's offense. You can't just find something that works really well and ride that horse to five straight Super Bowl championships after it just got you one...

Polk738

Reaction score
Tical21":1eve96kn said:
It had better still be Marshawn's team. Find something that works to the tune of a Super Bowl Championship and then adjust your philosophy? Is the goal to win championships or put up numbers? I think the goal should be to run more and run more effectively, not less. Just, what, oh yeah, yesterday, we absolutely dominated a game by putting up something like 250 on the ground. Was that not good enough? There is zero doubt that Percy is going to get his. Marshawn and our defense feed off each other. It is a beautiful thing. Be very careful what you wish for.

True, but we did face a pretty bad defense last night, I think Manti' Teo could end up being a bust for them. I do love what I saw from the new offense last night and if things keep up I have no doubt in my mind we'll be a top 5 rushing team again this year. It'll be interesting to see how we do against some of the better defenses in the league this year especially in our own division.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fl67lqn said:
Tical, there is no such thing as a perfect formula in the NFL's offense. You can't just find something that works really well and ride that horse to five straight Super Bowl championships after it just got you one...

Maybe not. Attrition always wins. But you can darn well get two.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":15xleq27 said:
I have no doubt it is still Lynch's team. He will get 15-20 touches and this is still a play action passing team. Though there are 10 or so extra plays a game for this offense if they get more first downs and drop the lets chew the clock and run only 50 offensive plays strategy.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Percy is this team's Reggie Bush (minus the NCAA mess). He will open things up for the offense just as Reggie did at USC. If a specific game situation calls for it, Percy will be the focal point for that game, but overall Pete will always use run to set up pass and look for balance of run to pass ratio.