Anyone concerned about JSN ?

GemCity

Reaction score
Nope….

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Not concerned as reasons already stated, but I do believe Smith has better chemistry with Bobo.

rjdriver

Reaction score
My only concern is in his confidence level. This guy was a DOG at OSU and I can't imagine that he is NOT a little frustrated with his production vs. expectation.

I love that mic'd up segment of Geno a few weeks back where he seemed to be real attuned to the frustration of JSN.

He needs to stay positive and confident with the knowledge that the time will come when we need a huge play and he will be the guy to deliver. I predict a breakout game soon. Not like Puka breakout (because we don't need that), but a solid game with a few big plays where he nets substantial YAC.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Am I concerned about a rookie WR who with 4 professional games under his belt has 12 receptions? Not a bit. He’s on pace for 51 receptions in his rookie year. That’s playing behind one of the top tandem receiving corps in the NFL. It’s also on a team with probably the best TE group in the league. Too many fans think every top rookie pick on their team should automatically be an all pro. The WR position is one that traditionally takes a little time to become acclimated to.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
A little concerned. He's a bit smaller and less athletic than i saw on his college tape. I still have faith, but he's not going to win based on pure athleticism.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Flowers and Addison are tearing it up. I thought he was going be the slot receiver we needed. Discuss.
I dunno about 'concerned' - but given how much Geno was upselling JSN - there's a clip with him and Bwagz - I did think that they'd have more chemistry than I've seen....

If I was 'concerned' about something I think it'd be along the lines of a couple of other posters: I hope he has the mental toughness to just hang in there behind an established WR room. I've mentioned before it's gotta be tough going from master of the universe in college to 'just another guy' on the squad - albeit a highly picked draft 'just another guy' - but still.

He's not gonna get all the touches that he wants - and the challenge will be to not pout about it, but just keep grinding until it pops. Unfortunately - the latest clip with Geno talking him down/up was kinda in the pouting category - so I guess stay tuned.

keasley45

Reaction score
His issue is that he's not 'explosive' in the quick twitch, small space, way. Not that he needs to be... that's not what we drafted him for. He needs to get the ball in stride. That means deep overs, seams, slants, crosses... routes through traffic. I actually think he needs to be running some of the routes our TEs typically see. just don't think he has the raport with Geno yet to get regular looks. And when Geno has gone his way, it's often not resulted in a completion.

renofox

Reaction score
Geno and JSN aren't on the same page. Even Lock and JSN weren't on the same page.

My guess is that JSN is running routes that haven't been practiced much so Geno isn't sure exactly where he's going to be or what angle/speed he's going to use.

It takes a lot of practice reps to be successful in a game. Give it time and more reps and things should improve dramatically.

GemCity

Reaction score
I hope he works out. Being an OSU fan, I already bought this dudes Hawks jersey 😂. I have Spoons too so…I guess at worst, I come out even.

In all seriousness though…JSN was a beast at OSU. I understand that the primary targets are DK and Lockett….rightfully so.

But being that this team struggles with 3rd down efficiency, I’m beginning to think that there is a serious lack of cohesion between JSN and Geno. Additionally, I don’t think Waldron has found the best/right way to use him…..yet.

It takes time….I wouldn’t say I’m worried but this production is definitely not what I expected.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think we are going to see JSN come on this year, he just has too much talent.

Get him screens and crossers, repeat, get him going and that's a huge boon to the offense and team!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
His issue is that he's not 'explosive' in the quick twitch, small space, way. Not that he needs to be... that's not what we drafted him for. He needs to get the ball in stride. That means deep overs, seams, slants, crosses... routes through traffic. I actually think he needs to be running some of the routes our TEs typically see. just don't think he has the raport with Geno yet to get regular looks. And when Geno has gone his way, it's often not resulted in a completion.
Exactly - I didn't think we got him for moon-balls - I always assumed that he would shine in a quick/fast underneath game -

Between 14/16 and the TE group - and Bobo - they've all got some competition for touches.

Like Geno said about a week ago in reference to the situation: "There's only one ball."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about JSN's route running so far is he's a little timid running in and out of his breaks, like he's trying to be TOO smooth. As opposed to being aggressive and hitting it hard. Which would help with Geno's timing btw.

Also I've seen more of Bobo on the field, especially in early run downs. Which makes sense, I'm sure Pete loves the bigger slot WR for blocking, and Bobo is a very good blocker. Another thing JSN needs to work on, Pete doesn't tolerate his WR's not being proficient at blocking schemes.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed about JSN's route running so far is he's a little timid running in and out of his breaks, like he's trying to be TOO smooth. As opposed to being aggressive and hitting it hard. Which would help with Geno's timing btw.

Also I've seen more of Bobo on the field, especially in early run downs. Which makes sense, I'm sure Pete loves the bigger slot WR for blocking, and Bobo is a very good blocker. Another thing JSN needs to work on, Pete doesn't tolerate his WR's not being proficient at blocking schemes.
I think being the 4th option at times is really difficult to sustain, 6-10 receptions a game.

Game flow is very important to get a receiver in rhythm. For receivers, if you are not getting your first catch until the second quarter, it’s really hard to build a rapport with the QB.

I personally think Waldron should get more creative with JSN. JSN, DK, and Lockett, needs to split reps being the “first” read and target for the Geno.

You can’t always have DK or Tyler at the first read, cause you end up isolating JSN, and he may not see his fair share of targets.

I agree, you need to be somewhat more “aggressive” in running routes and not be as “smooth.”

Geno needs to get all of his receivers in the game but it may be difficult as the Seattle offensive line still is not as good as we would like it to be.

Waldron, can design plays and set JSN as the first read, but, so far, Waldron, hasn’t done as much.

Maybe Waldron knows something about JSN that us Dot Net arm chair QBs don’t know….

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think being the 4th option at times is really difficult to sustain, 6-10 receptions a game.

Game flow is very important to get a receiver in rhythm. For receivers, if you are not getting your first catch until the second quarter, it’s really hard to build a rapport with the QB.

I personally think Waldron should get more creative with JSN. JSN, DK, and Lockett, needs to split reps being the “first” read and target for the Geno.

You can’t always have DK or Tyler at the first read, cause you end up isolating JSN, and he may not see his fair share of targets.

I agree, you need to be somewhat more “aggressive” in running routes and not be as “smooth.”

Geno needs to get all of his receivers in the game but it may be difficult as the Seattle offensive line still is not as good as we would like it to be.

Waldron, can design plays and set JSN as the first read, but, so far, Waldron, hasn’t done as much.

Maybe Waldron knows something about JSN that us Dot Net arm chair QBs don’t know….

Being the 3rd or 4th option definitely explains JSN's head hanging of a couple weeks ago where Geno had to talk him up. Which is understandable, when you're used to being the best player on the field since like the 5th grade, and then not even being WR1 or 2? Gotta be hard to deal with.

I do think Waldron is working on getting Njigba more involved, which we've seen a little of already. So specific called plays. None of them have popped, but they are trying.

I'm not worried. Dude's a stud, but he's playing a complicated position with lots of assignments, nuances and route trees to learn, and he's behind two of the best receivers in the division with way more experience and trust with Geno.

IMO by mid season we'll see JSN with way more catches and a couple TD's.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
A lot of players are absolute studs on their college teams. Problem is, every player in the NFL is an absolute stud. Many players have a hard time adapting to that. JSN is a #3 and they just dont get a lot of targets throughout the league. As i've stated before, my biggest concern is that Bobo (who looks much better in real time game play) will lose serious reps because JSN is a better athlete and his draft position will cause Pete to stick with JSN to justify the pick.

None of us have seen enough to really make a rational opinion yet, but Bobo to me just seems like he's a game player that isnt intimidated by anything or anybody and produces with the limited chances he has. I just hope Pete isnt playing favoritism when the results could be better with Bobo than JSN and i'm afraid he will regardless.