Anyone concerned about JSN ?

toffee

Reaction score
JSN was targeted 20 times, caught 12 of those, for 65 yards. Waldron and Geno certainly didn't ignore JSN, his 20 targets was next to DK, with Lockett's 27 being the highest. The lack of YAC has been the problem, can someone that knows more about football explain the YAC issue?

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Not concerned at all.

Let's not forget as rookie Golden Tate wasn't effective either.

21 catches for 227 yards averaging 10.8 with a long of 52 yards. He got better each season.

JSN will get more opportunities when the offensive line has our bookend tackles. While the backups have held their own lately I think there's some wrinkles that aren't being exploited because of the pressure it would put on the QB.
Great example film12hawk

morgulon1

Reaction score
JSN was targeted 20 times, caught 12 of those, for 65 yards. Waldron and Geno certainly didn't ignore JSN, his 20 targets was second to DK, with Lockett's 27 being the highest. The lack of YAC has been the problem, can some that know more about football tell me more about the YSC issue?

I'll give it a go.

He's in the pros now, remember when he was @ THE university of Ohio and he was making people look like clowns?
Now he's playing against the top 1% of the best players in the world.

Every week.

He's going to have to figure it out and it may take a season or two. People are as fast, quick, strong and athletic as he is.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about him. As far as chemistry with Geno vs Lock.....he had two passes thrown to him downfield when Lock was in. One of them hit him in the hands and he wasn't able to pull it in (I remember it as a 'tough but catchable' ball), and on the other the ball wasn't anywhere near him. It was clear that he wasn't where Lock expected him to be - whether he or Lock made the error is not something that we'd know without knowing the playcall.

People have mentioned Bobo; JSN has a considerably higher snap count but I think it has gotten closer as Bobo is a better blocker and we've needed it.

View attachment 61164

I've been a little frustrated with the screen passes to JSN (someone mentioned the Eskridge plays and I think that's probably accurate), but I see him as the replacement for Lockett. Tyler has clearly been thinking about life and career post-football. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired after any given year - could be this year, could be next. I think JSN will slide right into that position in the offense.

I don't expect WR3 to be getting a ton of catches so that doesn't worry me, but I'd love to see more of what I was expecting when he was drafted - that 7-15 yard range with a chance for some YAC.
Relegate Thompson back to bench, throw 5% more often, go hurry up at least 2x per game, and give all of that to JSN. Seriously.

He’s the Lockett heir apparent.

With gogo bobo we’re lookin nice at wr.

Torc

Reaction score
The number of JSN catches really isn't the issue. It's the yardage. JSN has the lowest YPC on the team except for Bobo, and one of Bobo's two catches was a 3 yard TD.

Throwing the ball to him behind the line of scrimmage is ludicrous and doesn't use his abilities. The other WRs and TEs double or triple his YPC. He's below the RBs for crying out loud. This is (in my opinion) purely a matter of how he is being used, not a statement of his abilities. Another way to look at it - he's averaging 3.1 yards per target. You're better off handing it to a RB, both Walker and Charbonnet are over 4.4 yards per carry.

YPCAvg

chris98251

Reaction score
They need to hit him in stride at the second level, crossing, slant, comebacks where he can put a move or a juke and go, not stand and wait for the ball someplace.

morgulon1

Reaction score
So not lack of opportunities, just not the right opportunities?
Yeah that's probably a good way to put it. I'm not worried, they'll figure things out with him in time. Like someone said , he broke his wrist , he's a rookie and the level of competition and the speed has to be adjusted to. He's going to catch a lot of passes and be a nice weapon . It is kind of a trip though , that rookie on the Rams comes out of nowhere and is lighting people up. How the hell does that work? Oh yeah, and the dude the Ravens picked is doing well too, ( Zay Flowers?) That was the guy I was hoping Seattle took. I think he's quicker . But having said that I'm not complaining.
#11 is going to be prevalent.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Somebody please explain to me why they don’t have him running quick out routes and shallow slant routes to move the chains on 3rd-and-6. I don’t get it.

HL81

Reaction score
Somebody please explain to me why they don’t have him running quick out routes and shallow slant routes to move the chains on 3rd-and-6. I don’t get it.

3rd and 6 is a down and distance that 90% of the defenses in league are going to blitz. With the injuries to the offensive line, Hawks are keeping TEs in to block (in a lot of these situations). TE block then release to flat/out route has been very successful for this offense.

I get the sense that they aren't going to just throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks, especially at 3-1.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm kind of hoping that the bye week is a chance for the coaches to step back and grade themselves for the first quarter of the season. Now is the time to make necessary adjustments. Hopefully they have some new wrinkles next week, including some plays designed to get the ball to their #3 receiver. It'll also help to get at least one lineman back.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
3rd and 6 is a down and distance that 90% of the defenses in league are going to blitz. With the injuries to the offensive line, Hawks are keeping TEs in to block (in a lot of these situations). TE block then release to flat/out route has been very successful for this offense.

I get the sense that they aren't going to just throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks, especially at 3-1.
In that case, what’s JSN’s role in this offense? Just catch screen passes and try for YAC? That seems like a waste of talent for a first-round draft pick, doesn’t it?

HL81

Reaction score
In that case, what’s JSN’s role in this offense? Just catch screen passes and try for YAC? That seems like a waste of talent for a first-round draft pick, doesn’t it?

I mean, it's not like we only have him for this year. Good teams build with the future in mind.

The ball is going to get spread around, regardless of when/where a player was drafted.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I mean, it's not like we only have him for this year. Good teams build with the future in mind.

The ball is going to get spread around, regardless of when/where a player was drafted.
If JSN is the eventual replacement for Lockett, I’d like to see him running some of Lockett’s routes as the primary target on the play.