Bradford to Vikings for 1st

Atradees

Reaction score
If I were the GM I wouldve called Vernon Adams or traded us for Boykins or even signed there old boy Tavaris Jackson.

Literally a million better options than an oft injured never was.

Boy that Bradford has a ton of potential........

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
While I think Bradford is an improvement over Bridgewater, holy shit did they ever pay for it. I figured a second rounder at worst, but a first AND a fourth? Christ man.

chris98251

Reaction score
RedAlice is rolling on the floor someplace laughing, Bradford is like Herpes, just when you think you have it under control another infection breaks out.

Atradees

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":xz4fmfyz said:
While I think Bradford is an improvement over Bridgewater, holy shit did they ever pay for it. I figured a second rounder at worst, but a first AND a fourth? Christ man.

The fourth is conditional and could be as high as a second round pick (thats contingent upon playoff success though)

kearly

Reaction score
Based on the initial reports, it sounds like Bridgewater is looking at a 2 year recover time from his injury, with a non-zero chance that he's already played his last down in the NFL. Bradford is on a 2 year contract. So it makes sense.

And when Bridgewater does recover, you still have to worry long term about those skinny little gazelle legs of his.

The Vikings paid a lot, but can you really blame them? AP is the motor that makes that team run, and he might have just one good NFL season left in the tank. The Vikings couldn't afford to punt this season, especially when considering how favorable their schedule is.

And while I am hardly a Bradford homer, I do think he is a better QB than Teddy Bridgewater. It goes without saying that Bradford is better than Shaun Hill.

Seattle went without a 1st round pick in 2015 and they still did very well in that draft. People tend to over-react to trading away first round picks, especially for a team like Minnesota that will probably be drafting 20th or later.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":zk2i2qdz said:
This reminds me of when we fleeced the Bears for two firsts for Rick Mirer. What a terrible trade. I get Super Bowl windows are finite and the Vikes are on the brink.. but yikes.

It was one 1st round pick, and Bradford is a better QB than Mirer by quite a bit, but I get the analogy. Both trades were rooted in a mix of optimism and desperation.

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":hdqahda1 said:
Based on the initial reports, it sounds like Bridgewater is looking at a 2 year recover time from his injury, with a non-zero chance that he's already played his last down in the NFL. Bradford is on a 2 year contract. So it makes sense.

And when Bridgewater does recover, you still have to worry long term about those skinny little gazelle legs of his.

The Vikings paid a lot, but can you really blame them? AP is the motor that makes that team run, and he might have just one good NFL season left in the tank. The Vikings couldn't afford to punt this season, especially when considering how favorable their schedule is.

And while I am hardly a Bradford homer, I do think he is a better QB than Teddy Bridgewater. It goes without saying that Bradford is better than Shaun Hill.

Seattle went without a 1st round pick in 2015 and they still did very well in that draft. People tend to over-react to trading away first round picks, especially for a team like Minnesota that will probably be drafting 20th or later.

Sam Bradford will actively make mistakes that will cost the vikings games if not playoffs. Teddy, as ho hum as he was played the role okay. Bradford is going to screw up and possibly get injured and the Vikings will be out a QB and a pick. The variance has been ramped up to 11.

Bradford isn't suddenly going to be better than he's ever been and I feel bad that the Vikings could come up two time losers.

On the pick angle, they lost out on the ability to trade out of it for more picks. 1st round picks have value. I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly trade that pick next year.

I am really tempted to get Sunday Ticket again to follow both Dak, the Rams, and Bradford this year.

kearly

Reaction score
Bradford and Bridgewater are pretty comparable statistically the past two years. I guess I see Bradford as an upgrade because he lacks the hitch in his throwing motion and has a much stronger arm.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":j9ig75m0 said:
Bradford and Bridgewater are pretty comparable statistically the past two years. I guess I see Bradford as an upgrade because he lacks the hitch in his throwing motion and has a much stronger arm.
Definitely an upgrade it's his durability that's the issue not his actual physical talent. Risky and not worth the price but understandable why Minnesota did it. They're pretty loaded everywhere else and Peterson doesn't have forever.

Fade

Reaction score
I get that Minnesota wanted to send a message to their locker room that they weren't giving up on this season, but they are going to eat $7M this year, & potentially $17M next year. $24M plus a 1st & 4th, is a lot of resources to spend on an injury prone QB, and will have an impact that will reverberate on future teams. The '17 & '18 Vikings teams just got weaker by default because of this move. Just so they could win 9-10 games, maybe 11 because of the weak schedule the NFCN plays in '16, and have an early playoff exit.

Finally, if they cut Sam Bradford before the 5th day of the new league year in '17 to get out from his contract, that would signal the trade was a failure, and the Vikings would be in an even worse position than before they traded for him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bradford remains a toothpick. Signing him didn't send a "we're not giving up" message so much as a "oh please God let this work" message.

kearly

Reaction score
When facing certain death, suddenly risky opportunities for salvation seem a lot more appealing. If they don't make a move, they flush the next two seasons down the toilet. And in two years their core will be two years older and AP will be done. The time is now for the Vikings.

FWIW, several other teams were calling the Eagles for Bradford, which is why the compensation level got so high.

I totally get that this could blow up in their faces. But IMO, it's a chance that is worth taking.

RedAlice

Reaction score
It is now or never for B.

I see no way all his lovers can make excuses for him this time.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":x23375bb said:
I would've rather given a first rounder to Tampa Bay for Mike Glennon.

Glennon crossed my mind as well. But I think I am probably biased from the time that Glennon had one amazing half of football against us that one time.

There has never been trade interest in Glennon. There have been constant swirls of trade interest in Bradford. Maybe draft bias plays a big role, but clearly NFL teams have a higher opinion of Bradford then fans do. That doesn't mean the NFL teams are correct, but it's something to consider.

At least we can all agree- this was an unbelievable trade for Philly. The worst free agent signing of the offseason just became the best one.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This has to be a felony. Someone tell the Eagles front office that making another team an offer they can't refuse isn't actually alright to do, despite what you see in The Godfather.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jjhm6u7 said:
This has to be a felony. Someone tell the Eagles front office that making another team an offer they can't refuse isn't actually alright to do, despite what you see in The Godfather.

This actually has to be the funniest *)&* ever. Ha.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I agree with Kearly's thoughts that this move makes a lot of sense for the Vikings. If Bradford can stay healthy I see him as an improvement over Bridgwater and I think Norv Turner is more than capable of making Bradford work out as a capable QB.
He has already done it with Bridgwater who has less talent imo.