Browner signs with Patriots

Wartooth

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":2vs29jul said:
on ESPN "The Patriots now have the best secondary in the league" LOLOLOLOLOL

They also said that Denver was going to beat us in the Super Bowl...
I don't pay much attention to what any of those people think.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'd imagine his contract is similar to http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia ... -williams/

Same overall numbers on the contract (From what we know), roughly same age (5 month difference), Browner suspended but obviously the superior player...

So I'd imagine it essentially ends up being a 2 year 8 mil deal, with a bit of dead money left from the signing bonus.

drdiags

Reaction score
Congrats to BB. Surprised to see that he has a contract of this size. It's the guarantee money though that makes the difference. We will see if that was low and the hangup was the agent wanting a larger number on the the contract to look good? The agent has to come out looking good, even though he got Browner into the FA market, he had to make several concessions with the suspension and playing 4 more games for free.

But forget all that. Really happy the guy will get a chance to see if he can turn it around. I thank him for his time here, helping to establish a physicality I hadn't seen from our defense for a long time. He and Kam were the boomers that inspired Sherm and Earl to get on-board.

rideaducati

Reaction score
This feels new and different. I don't recall many Seahawk free agents going to other teams and me feeling good for the guy. Red, Clem, BB, they will always be looked upon fondly...unless playing the Seahawks.

ErikG803

Reaction score
Agreed ^. Tate, too. I wish we could have kept almost everybody together but we gotta make room for a few mega contracts soon, have to say a sad goodbye and good luck to a few fan favorites.

cesame

Reaction score
Scottemojo":273a2es8 said:
cesame":273a2es8 said:
Pats fans should know Browner was beginning to lose his spot as a starter because he wasn't performing as well last year
He was injured, then while injured he was suspended. Perhaps you can better explain to me how that qualifies as beginning to lose his spot?

Probably because Pete took him out of the game multiple times and put in Maxwell, usually after Browner was getting beat multiple times in the same game?

I thought it was pretty obvious.

jblaze

Reaction score
Anyone else very surprised he got 3/17m? I never thought he was that good, more of a product of the scheme in the right place at the right time type of thing. His coverage skills are suspect. That's a lot for a safety playing CB.

However, it should work for NE because Revis will take away one side and the safety can shade BB's side to help him. Looks like NE's back end looks pretty good at this point.

plyka

Reaction score
jblaze":1a1ci2w5 said:
Anyone else very surprised he got 3/17m? I never thought he was that good, more of a product of the scheme in the right place at the right time type of thing. His coverage skills are suspect. That's a lot for a safety playing CB.

However, it should work for NE because Revis will take away one side and the safety can shade BB's side to help him. Looks like NE's back end looks pretty good at this point.

He was the starting CB for the best secondary in history. He was hurt, replaced, when he returned he always got his position back.

Basically, yes, he is that good. Patriots got a great deal for a premier CB.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Going to be interesting to see how the Pats use those guys. I don't know what they have for safeties but that plays a big part in allowing these press corners to do what they do like in our system. Is this the beginning of the copycat shift on how to stop the pass in a QB driven league. I think so.

Subzero717

Reaction score
plyka":1a8rokhr said:
jblaze":1a8rokhr said:

He was the starting CB for the best secondary in history. He was hurt, replaced, when he returned he always got his position back.

Basically, yes, he is that good. Patriots got a great deal for a premier CB.

He will play there one year as a CB if that. I could see him moving to SS sooner rather than later. No way he plays it out. That said I am super happy for the dude and the journey he has come from.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think there's any way the Patriots are paying Browner $5m+/yr to play SS for the first time in his life. That's not to say a position change isn't possible in the future, but he made his bread and butter as a CB and they're likely paying him to be a CB.

Rocket

Reaction score
May your int's be plentiful (except against us) your blocks be spectacular, your strips awesome and may you plant several players per game.
We'll miss ya, and avoid the green 'till Feb.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":2xsorp1n said:

Yep, it's likely they just don't know any better, maybe the Patsies should have contacted you for advice, before giving "The Rhino" that 3/17 :34853_doh:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am glad for Browner. With the growth of Maxwell, there was just no option to pay BB that kind of money if we could get good corner play for less. BB was such a playmaker.

I am curious about the next find for depth in the LOB. The Hawks won't go without it. Someone new coming to Seattle for sure, maybe x2.

Penman96

Reaction score
Fantastic news for BB, from suspended for a year to 8 million and change...I'm amazed he got that kind of money.

Buy your agent a pint Brandon.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Lol patriots fans already saying: Revis>sherm, browner>Max. Best in the nfl. To them BB is a god right now. Probably never even watched the hawks play :p.

And all this talk about browner at safety is crazy. Not his game at all, and he has no experience at it.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I love BB, and if the Pats play him to his strengths - jamming dudes at the line and generally being a nasty sob, then it is a nice pickup for them , especially against that soft Broncos offense.

But Maxwell is unquestionably better and I just don't see where a sport for Browner could have been had on the roster.