Browner's year long suspension off the table?

bigwrm

Reaction score
12thManNorth":256ttl5i said:
Probably gonna get shredded for this, but is missing Browner really that terrible of a thing ? If anything I'd want him back more for depth reasons in case somebody else gets hurt rather than to get him back in the starting lineup right away when healthy. Said it on Twitter, one could argue that when he plays at least this year, 75% of the big yardage passing plays or PI calls could be attributed to him.

Last 2 yrs without Browner : 8-0, winning by an average score of 36-10

Have to agree with you. I was looking at the suspension as an easy excuse for the team to move on from him without upsetting the other members of the secondary.

kearly

Reaction score
To those who actually heard the audio, does "off the table" mean Browner doesn't have to worry about a 1 year suspension, or does it mean the NFL isn't willing to consider making exception to it's rules for Browner?

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":2insk09o said:
To those who actually heard the audio, does "off the table" mean Browner doesn't have to worry about a 1 year suspension, or does it mean the NFL isn't willing to consider making exception to it's rules for Browner?

Just listened to it. Sounds like they made an offer that included a lesser suspension. He declined because he wants it to be reduced to game checks only.

It's at the 16:55 mark: http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9964625&p=13

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":2il4xz48 said:

Clayton definitely implied that the NFL already offered a reduced suspension and that Browner rejected this offer. He's hoping for a fine only. If Clayton's source is credible, that means Browner's suspension is definitely getting reduced. Somewhere between 0-4 games is my guess of the ultimate result.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They will be lucky to even get a fine. I am tired of the witch hunt it's old and has no basis. He's a stage 1 offender at worst end of story.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":15hr92lr said:
Tech Worlds":15hr92lr said:
Jville":15hr92lr said:
I'd also like to see a published apology from the league. If it is appropriate for the Washington Redskins, why not Brandon Browner and the Seattle Seahawks?

Yep. Then after that, I can see it now.... All the threads demanding all of us who were mad at Browner to "eat crow", "man up" ect... It's coming

lol probably. I still think Browner is a tad overrated on here. Hes a good corner but nothing we cant replace. I wonder if he would come back next year for a cheap deal. If not than I hope we just move on from him.
I have no problem with that scenerio it's the uncalled for witch hunt that is pissing me off.

mikeak

Reaction score
One thing with offers on the table. When rejected everything is back in play. The NFL could easily decide to say screw it ruin his career and fight it out in court over a few years. Possible browner could get an injunction but just saying it isn't cleared yet

I am guessing the NFL offered the four game suspension if they have a positive test. Browner rejected as per the reports he had two years of clear testing and should have been tested

We shall see

Polaris

Reaction score
mikeak":xyq8xasq said:
One thing with offers on the table. When rejected everything is back in play. The NFL could easily decide to say screw it ruin his career and fight it out in court over a few years. Possible browner could get an injunction but just saying it isn't cleared yet

I am guessing the NFL offered the four game suspension if they have a positive test. Browner rejected as per the reports he had two years of clear testing and should have been tested

We shall see

The NFL is going to be very allergic to any kind of lawsuit that puts entire sections of the CBA at risk, and frankly the NFL has been caught with it's shorts down on a number of issues here. The last thing the NFL wants is a ugly, messy, and most importantly public lawsuit. If the NFL were confident in their case, they would have not made the offer in the first place.

There is some very quiet and very high powered negotiations going on. Make no doubt about that, and based on this, I think it's likely that Browner will be available this season (in some way) when his groin heals. I will make no further speculation as to how this will happen.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Snore....sounds like it was his first. Why should he be treated like it was his 3rd. Is that an idiot or someone standing up for themselves.

mikeak

Reaction score
Polaris":1dmbf7y5 said:
mikeak":1dmbf7y5 said:

We shall see

The NFL is going to be very allergic to any kind of lawsuit that puts entire sections of the CBA at risk, and frankly the NFL has been caught with it's shorts down on a number of issues here. The last thing the NFL wants is a ugly, messy, and most importantly public lawsuit. If the NFL were confident in their case, they would have not made the offer in the first place.

There is some very quiet and very high powered negotiations going on. Make no doubt about that, and based on this, I think it's likely that Browner will be available this season (in some way) when his groin heals. I will make no further speculation as to how this will happen.

Browner would not argue that the CBA is unlawful. He would argue that it wasn't followed and that he is subject of slander by the NFL.

If the CBA was followed he wouldn't be in stage 3. The main embarrassment for the league is that the results of these tests keep leaking. It seemingly happens every time then add false information in their own website...

Polaris

Reaction score
mikeak":306chhp9 said:
Polaris":306chhp9 said:
mikeak":306chhp9 said:

We shall see

Browner would not argue that the CBA is unlawful. He would argue that it wasn't followed and that he is subject of slander by the NFL.

If the CBA was followed he wouldn't be in stage 3. The main embarrassment for the league is that the results of these tests keep leaking. It seemingly happens every time then add false information in their own website...

I didn't mean to imply that Browner would call the CBA 'unlawful' but if the NFL hosed things up enough to open themselves up to a very damaging defamation and unfair labour practices suit (and it looks like they have), the NFL won't want an independant Federal Judge making an independant ruling.....which could put parts of the CBA at risk. The CBA isn't a body of law or legistaltion. It's a labour agreement, and like any labour agreement, it can be overridedn in whole or in party by judicial action.

mikeak

Reaction score
So we disagree. There is nothing in Browners lawsuit that would jeopardize the CBA. Defamation yes. Unlawful practice yes. Unrelated to the CBA as it is written - yes

If anything Browner will argue that the league didn't follow this CBA or the old CBA as he didn't play for Denver so he shouldn't have been subject to the additional drug testing when he left the NFL

Polaris

Reaction score
mikeak":2eiqpa1b said:
So we disagree. There is nothing in Browners lawsuit that would jeopardize the CBA. Defamation yes. Unlawful practice yes. Unrelated to the CBA as it is written - yes

If anything Browner will argue that the league didn't follow this CBA or the old CBA as he didn't play for Denver so he shouldn't have been subject to the additional drug testing when he left the NFL

I don't even think we disagree all that much. The whole point of the CBA (well one of them) is to keep disputes like this out of the judiciary. What's worse if players feel they aren't being protected by the CBA and can get relief from outside it, others will. I am not saying that the case itself threatens the CBA per se, but rather the NFL has bungled it so badly that it creates a legal opening for Browner that could wind up putting the CBA at risk.

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
If the CBA wasnt followed correctly then why isnt the players association sticking up for Browner? Isnt that what he is paying union dues for?

mikeak

Reaction score
^ where have you read that they aren't?

The rules are that this shouldn't be public. It looks like all parties except for the league are abiding by that. This is a smart move for legal reasons.....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2jyb5ji5 said:
If the CBA wasnt followed correctly then why isnt the players association sticking up for Browner? Isnt that what he is paying union dues for?
"His lawyer" usually = the unions lawyer. I was involved in a work matter/issue that was to go before an arbiter, the unions lawyer was my representation along with other union agents for support/information.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TJH":17n57rf5 said:
Seeker":17n57rf5 said:
That's what I thought.
NFL trying all in its power to stop this team and it isn't working.

Snore.... The idiot failed a test.
Yawn....IF the NFL has him dead to rights on this matter, then he's done, if NOT, then who is the idiot that's pissing in the wind here eh?

themunn

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2ncsbxz8 said:
I think he failed a recent test and that is what got this entire ball rolling and triggered the 1 year suspension.

Given that the whole reason he is in stage 3 is because he failed a test by missing it... is it not quite possible he failed this recent one by missing it too?

I've seen nowhere suggest he actually tested dirty, only that he failed to test clean... not the same thing

SonicHawk

Reaction score
themunn":3r4q3kdi said:
Tech Worlds":3r4q3kdi said:
I think he failed a recent test and that is what got this entire ball rolling and triggered the 1 year suspension.

Given that the whole reason he is in stage 3 is because he failed a test by missing it... is it not quite possible he failed this recent one by missing it too?

I've seen nowhere suggest he actually tested dirty, only that he failed to test clean... not the same thing

Very unlikely. He missed the first test because he was not in the NFL, there's absolutely no reason for him to miss this latest test.

Latest posts