Can this team still win SB51 without Earl Thomas?

Can the Seahawks win SB51 without Earl Thomas

• Yes

Votes: 188 84.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 15.3%

• Total voters

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cam Newton was pretty unremarkable last night. I thought at first it must have been coverage by the LOB, including Terrill, keeping him from throwing. Then I realized that Carolina was in max protect for much of the game, keeping Cam upright at the cost of giving him targets downfield. So maybe Terrill had it easy.

stizz19

Reaction score
As long as Bennett/Avril/Clark stay healthy it will be fine. Having a great pass rush is the most important thing...

Ozzy

Reaction score
9 people voted no? Can you guys explain why winning a SB is impossible without Earl?

kf3339

Reaction score
austinslater25":eqz2hf6i said:
9 people voted no? Can you guys explain why winning a SB is impossible without Earl?

Of course they can't explain it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":2e4u271q said:

Hawks46 voted no, and said Terrell can't cover the outside run as well as Earl, and is afraid of GB and Rodgers.

Wat

Of course we can still win a SB without Earl, but it does mean our margin for injury error is razor thin, THAT'S the only thing I'm worried about now. This major injury bug doesn't seem to be slowing down for us.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Voted yes, but it def diminishes the chances of it.

TBH I don't really trust the Hawks' offense to show up week in and week out (they could, they could not), and the defense's ability to bail them out if they don't show is more diminished by the absence of ET than anyone else on that side of the ball, IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
austinslater25":26iz1sih said:
Because OMG, the world is collapsing around us. :laugh:

My take is that since the O-line had a decent game-note that I didn's say outstanding :34853_doh: -another reason must be found to predict our impending doom. Earl is a bit of a superstar around here, so that's an easy target to aim at if you're looking for the reason we're going to lose "IF".....

:229031_shrug:

Mick063

Reaction score
Less "robber" on defense and the corners will need to yield more underneath stuff.

It really boils down to QB pressure. Give Cam (or any playoff QB) enough time to throw a 60 yard bomb and Seattle is in trouble. No way should Terrill, in a defense aligned for 3rd and 17, allow a receiver to get behind him. Regardless, Terrill needs an assist from the edge rushers to hurry that throw as well. With that down and distance, they should be firing out of the starting blocks.

With Earl hurt, I think they need to blitz Wagner about 30% more than usual on 3rd and long situations.

Seattle can overcome the loss of Earl if Rawls can stay healthy long enough to control time of possession.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":elqelqr0 said:
253hawk":elqelqr0 said:
Absolutely, but the offense is going to have to show up.
This. If the offense can put up 35+, yes, not a problem.

LOL. 35??? Wow, where did that number come from?

In Vegas, Earl would be lucky to make a 3 point difference.

cymatica

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ml2b3pu said:
McGruff":1ml2b3pu said:
GB doesn't worry me. The rams don't worry me. Arizona and David Johnson worries me.

Don't you remember what happened in the SB against Brady once Lane went out?

Losing a DB starter against a great QB matters, cause it means your rookies or backups are going to be abused by that great QB, like Brady did to Simon in the SB.

So I am a little worried about guys like Rodgers, Brees, Ryan............and Carr, Brady, etc if we make it to the SB, WAY more than RB's. Our front 7 rarely allows a good RB to go off, but a gimpy depleted LOB is a MAJOR issue going forward if any more injuries happen.

Losing a nickel corner mid game is way different, especially with such a good slot receiver to cover. By the time playoffs come, they should be ready with any adjustments they make. Still have Chancellor, and he makes sure everyone is in position from what i understand. And having Shead opposite Sherman definetely helps. Remember Kerry Jennings?

I think the pressure up front is more important. There are ways to attack this secondary when healthy, and a clean pocket makes that happen.

Heyseed

Reaction score
Maybe they can rally around ET and become stronger from this.
Like when the Hammer went down
:2thumbs:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Easily. This team is getting hot when it matters.

And they have the strength and experience to beat Dallas in their house. Minnesota should have beaten them, even with their crap offense, missing head coach, and worn down defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cymatica":293hbli4 said:
I think the pressure up front is more important. There are ways to attack this secondary when healthy, and a clean pocket makes that happen.

It's all important..............what matter is the depth to withstand injury, and right now we are razor thin at the back end.

RussB

Reaction score
Of course, earl is a huge loss but the defense is still probably the most loaded in the league even without him. Terell is capable i just worry about him giving up deep bombs.

They are still a very diciplined unit and im sure the coaching staff will get terell and everyone else prepared accordingly, offense needs to also step up too.

Seymour

Reaction score
How can any "FAN" answer no? The question is CAN WE (is it possible?), not will we? The answer is obvious, of course we can. The odds dropped very slightly, but overall the answer is obvious.

Largent80

Reaction score
If you watched the playoffs last year Carolina put up 31 points in the first half.... WITH Earl in there.

Plus, we both won and lost a SB with him.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":4kjqo67w said:
If you watched the playoffs last year Carolina put up 31 points in the first half.... WITH Earl in there.

Good points. Earl is an important cog in our defense, but we still have more than enough pieces to make a great defense.

cymatica

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2scsaa8y said:
Largent80":2scsaa8y said:

Good points. Earl is an important cog in our defense, but we still have more than enough pieces to make a great defense.

You could argue we lost the suberbowl due to losing Avril and Lane