Clayton says Bevell and Cable will be back

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Our oc has produced top 10 offenses.

Or o line coach has produced bottom feeding lines all way back to Atlanta.

One is way worse then the other.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkNuts":sd1wrnha said:
Does Darrell Bevel get another NFL offensive coordinator job when the Seahawks finally let go of him?
Hopefully inside the division. 8)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3154krq3 said:
MontanaHawk05":3154krq3 said:
As much as you enjoy being The One Who's Cutting Through The BS And Telling It Like It Is right now, all that Pete means is that he's not going to take firings lightly or reactionary-ily. Doesn't mean they won't happen; it just means they will be done if they're earned, not to pacify fans. Chill out.

I don't see how it's necessarily reactionary. These two failed at their jobs time and time again. Firing two coach's after their first season or time in that position is certainly reactionary, but these two have been apart of the team and their respective jobs for YEARS now. What do they have to show for it? An ineffective offense and o-line that is made up of lint and rubber bands.

This is just Carroll being Carroll though, always tries to fix the problems on the surface. The cosmetic issues when he refuses to look deeper at the real underlying problem.

None of this post is definitive. This board really lost a lot when Scottemojo left. He could actually offer REASONS that Bevell sucked, break down plays that were stupid and why, rather than going "well the offense sucked so it must be Bevell's fault" as if there aren't any other factors.

If you watch enough national level commentators (and Brock Huard's Chalk Talks are pretty good), you get the sense that Bevell is winning some and losing some. That's an average coach. You also get reminded very strongly that execution and personnel matter.

Cable, on the other hand - bleh. That's a much more immediate connection. Our OL acquisition has suffered way too much abject busts in the last few years (Odhiambo, Ifedi, Glowinski, Poole, Sokoli, etc.), and Pocic (who has also stunk) was so much of an anti-Cable pick that I almost wonder if he's losing input within the organization. It's pretty hard to excuse such a long track record of below-mediocrity, even if you are willing to talk about how hard Wilson and Bevell make his life.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2j3udyuf said:
Our oc has produced top 10 offenses.

Or o line coach has produced bottom feeding lines all way back to Atlanta.

One is way worse then the other.

"TOP 10" offense with Lynch and Wilson doing their own thing. I hesitate to believe he is that good of an OC. I think he is an average OC that is helped out by Elite Talent at the RB and QB positions in the past. If we had a traditional pocket QB I dont think he would even be OC on this team right now and would of been fired allready

I feel like if our OL was above average or higher we would be fine mostly but sometimes the playcalling or play design leaves a lot to be desired given what type of team we are going against. I feel like they just try to be like the defense and just try to win on talent instead of scheme, which obviously is not working on offense. I also wish we utilized a shorter pass offense with outlets for Wilson but that is just personal preference

The number 1 thing they need to fix this offseason is the running game. When Wilson has around double the rushing yards as anyone else that is a problem. If you fix that, you open up the playaction game again and take some pressure off Wilson to always make a splash play.

ojosdelgato

Reaction score
Bevell is a mystery across the league. He gets no love for head coaching jobs. If he is ever let go his days of being an offensive coordinator in the NFL is likely over. Pete is extremely loyal to his coaches and I'm not surprised that they will try it again. I so wish some small college would give him there head coaching job. That is our only hope of getting rid of him.

My problem with Bevell and the offense is you watch a Seahawk game and you don't feel like there a method to the madness. They don't have a real game plan. They are just running random plays that don't really compliment each other. Now perhaps I could blame Wilson for his lack of staying in the pocket and inability to step up and make passes.

Like usual the coaches will blame something else for the problem. I see with all the RB talk that they think if they find a Gurley like back they be scoring just like the Rams. I think player for player on offense Seattle and LA are pretty similar. I just know Bevell would not be able to create offense like McVay.

AS for Cable. I don't blame him for all the O-line problems. I think Russell Wilson is the toughest qb to block for in history. Germain Ifedi is a problem though. He can't block. He gets dumb penalties. He isn't a starting level tackle. They need to move him back inside or to the bench.

Crizilla

Reaction score
ojosdelgato":17hyan04 said:
Bevell is a mystery across the league. He gets no love for head coaching jobs..

he's a very passive guy. Not everyone has the personality to be a head coach.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":2u7j77dl said:
ojosdelgato":2u7j77dl said:

Until it comes to covering his own ass by throwing the players under the bus. See XLIX for exhibit A.
The reason he is not getting a HC job has zero to do with personality and everything to do with him being piss poor at his current job.

I’ll give you an A for originality though. :irishdrinkers:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3sdvti6c said:
Crizilla":3sdvti6c said:
ojosdelgato":3sdvti6c said:

Until it comes to covering his own ass by throwing the players under the bus. See XLIX for exhibit A.
<snip>

Totally THIS.
Bevell designs and calls a matchup-forked play, with 1) Kearse overmatched trying to block BBrowner. 2) The throw is designed to go to Lockette, who is a #6 WR, still very raw as a receiver. 3) Browner guesses the play based on the formation; avoiding telegraphing plays is whose job?, 4) then Russell makes a crap throw.

Who is in charge of issues 1) thru 3) that led to failure? Oh yeah, Bevell.
Who does Bevell blame after the game? Inexplicably, Ricardo Lockette.

I submit that Bevell is somewhat average as OC's go. Neither better nor worse than most. With a crap O-line, his calls and OC skills look much worse than average, given that players can't block and execute his playcalls worth diddly-poo.

I can almost live with one more season of Bevell, but the game planning and in-game first half adjustments seem so awful.

Latest posts