Status
Not open for further replies.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":10c5rcdl said:
CALIHAWK1":10c5rcdl said:
RolandDeschain":10c5rcdl said:
General Manager":10c5rcdl said:
No Roland I've seen Romo play many times he's a good QB not a great one, certainly not worth that idiotic contract.
Then we have a fundamental disagreement on your quarterback assessment capabilities. 8)

Are you then saying he (Romo) is a great QB?
Great? No. I'm saying he's pretty good, however. Better than Kaepernick right now, IMO.

I will agree that he is pretty good. Better than he gets credit for. They are different. Kap isnt Romo and Romo cant do what Kap does. We have Wilson and Id take Russell any day of the week over either and Im thankful for that.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/harbaug ... k-prospect

Starting to wonder about Kaepernick??? Harbaugh was at Northwestern University scouting Jimmy Garoppolo who's stock is rising and is considered a first round pick. They are not looking to bring him on as a backup so perhaps the Niners are souring on Kaep?? I really think he is worth the money. If you look at the stats of the Niners, Hawks championship game, San Fran isn't even in the game without Colin. The Niners had 147 yards passing and 31 (For a grand total of 178) yards rushing minus the 130 yards from Colin's two feet. Had the Hawks had more success containing Colin, the game might have been a blow out.

Personally I don't see how the Niners will keep up with the Hawks. Bowman could be out most of the year (The front office has already conceded he will be out for at least half of the regular season) and he will not be at 100%. Davis is 30, Justin Smith will be 35 in sept, Patrick Willis is 29, Gore will be 31, Brooks will be 30 in 10 days, Boldin will be 34 in October. These guys are the heart and soul of their defense and pretty soon they are going to qualify for an AARP card. So far the only player in their last two drafts that has had any success is Eric Reid but he is concussion prone. They love Lattimore and Carradine but they both will be rookies (Yes they will be in the league for two years but I believe both have yet to take a snap of NFL football) and are coming off serious injuries?? If you are an optimist, you could see colin take the next step (Personally I think he is weak mentally, who needs a comfort buddy for interviews) but given that the magical age of decline and injury, you will see a dramatic drop in play from all the players I mentioned above.

Marvin49

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2fmh25ac said:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/harbaugh-scouts-hot-quarterback-prospect

Starting to wonder about Kaepernick??? Harbaugh was at Northwestern University scouting Jimmy Garoppolo who's stock is rising and is considered a first round pick. They are not looking to bring him on as a backup so perhaps the Niners are souring on Kaep?? I really think he is worth the money. If you look at the stats of the Niners, Hawks championship game, San Fran isn't even in the game without Colin. The Niners had 147 yards passing and 31 (For a grand total of 178 total) yards rushing minus the 130 yards from Colin's two feet. Had the Hawks had more success containing Colin, the game might have been a blow out.

Personally I don't see how the Niners will keep up with the Hawks. Bowman could be out most of the year (The front office has already conceded he will be out for at least half of the regular season) and he will not be at 100%. Davis is 30, Justin Smith will be 35 in sept, Patrick Willis is 29, Gore will be 31, Brooks will be 30 in 10 days, Boldin will be 34 in October. These guys are the heart and soul of their defense and pretty soon they are going to qualify for an AARP card. So far the only player in their last two drafts that has had any success is Eric Reid but he is concussion prone. They love Lattimore and Carradine but they both will be rookies (Yes they will be in the league for two years but I believe both have yet to take a snap of NFL football) and are coming off serious injuries?? If you are an optimist, you could see colin take the next step (Personally I think he is weak mentally, who needs a comfort buddy for interviews) but given that the magical age of decline and injury, you will see a dramatic drop in play from all the players I mentioned above.

Not souring at all. They've already entered into talks on an extension.

The QB interest has more to do with not being happy with Colt McCoy.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Marvin49":2h1t9jib said:
seahawk12thman":2h1t9jib said:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/harbaugh-scouts-hot-quarterback-prospect

Starting to wonder about Kaepernick??? Harbaugh was at Northwestern University scouting Jimmy Garoppolo who's stock is rising and is considered a first round pick. They are not looking to bring him on as a backup so perhaps the Niners are souring on Kaep?? I really think he is worth the money. If you look at the stats of the Niners, Hawks championship game, San Fran isn't even in the game without Colin. The Niners had 147 yards passing and 31 (For a grand total of 178 total) yards rushing minus the 130 yards from Colin's two feet. Had the Hawks had more success containing Colin, the game might have been a blow out.

Not souring at all. They've already entered into talks on an extension.

The QB interest has more to do with not being happy with Colt McCoy.

This guy is a starter and it would never work as a back up. If he fell to the Niners, I doubt they are going to give a back up QB first round money to sit on the bench. This league has some awful quarterbacks and I highly doubt this guy is going to want to play for a team and rot on the sidelines. Bottom line if both our quarterbacks are sidelined for the year our respective teams are screwed and both teams will need every last dollar in this tight penny penching salary cap free agency period.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Romo is decent; better than the memes would have you believe. And he's better than Kaepernick right now. But he sure as hell didn't deserve the paycheck he got from Dallas. And Cutler doesn't deserve half his paycheck either.

Here's a thought: sign a quarterback to a 25 million dollar a year deal. Throw in "bonuses" that subtract half a mil for every interception thrown, down to the vet minimum contract. He gets to keep whatever he doesn't throw away.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
You really need to take into consideration the tremendous leverage that even an above average starter has in this league. If Chicago didn't pay Cutler that contract than some other team would have - happily, I might add. Same with Romo. Kaep deserves the contract that he gets because that is his market value. A better question would be whether you think he is franchise QB, and if the answer is yes, then he is worth 18 million/yr.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
At some point the quarterback market has to and will correct itself. Flacco, Stafford, Romo, Cutler among a couple others are heinously overpaid and have no business being paid more than 15 million to be generous and at some point VERY soon the market will correct itself and reflect that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I mean what should you expect when you pay ONE player near 20% of your total salary cap? This isn't baseball where you only have a luxury tax or European soccer with no limits beyond the owner's personal wealth.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The NFL may soon have to go the direction of the NBA with hard caps on particular positions (slots)purely because the quarterback market is completely out of whack. You have 3-4 positions (players) making money and 49 getting bent over it can't last.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1y635uwp said:
The NFL may soon have to go the direction of the NBA with hard caps on particular positions (slots)purely because the quarterback market is completely out of whack. You have 3-4 positions (players) making money and 49 getting bent over it can't last.

Can you elaborate. I hate hoops so I dont know anything about it. Are you saying Point Guards have a different cap than Power Fowards? Or cap to their salary in the context youre stating.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1iqlfc6f said:
MizzouHawkGal":1iqlfc6f said:

Can you elaborate. I hate hoops so I dont know anything about it. Are you saying Point Guards have a different cap than Power Fowards? Or cap to their salary in the context youre stating.
Their cap is a soft cap what they do instead is give teams slots each with hard caps and a couple vet exemptions (obviously football would have 10-15 times more of said slots) and they allow the home team of the player that is in a maximum cap slot to pay 15% more than someone trying to poach your max cap players. Plus like baseball you can elect to go over the cap in exchange for paying a stiff luxury tax.

Because of this it both allows you to pay your core the maximum and facilitates a robust trade market because of the static salaries top down. The NFL wouldn't be quite as static given they don't do full guaranteed contracts but it'd work fairly similarly.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
So yes, you get premier player for player trades and 3/4/5 team trades all the time. You want Richard Sherman? Okay give me Greg Hardy and two 2nd tier players Carolina and so forth. Of course under this system the premier players would have no trade clauses so that FA was still an option for them. And of course those clauses would be limited or full depending on the actual money said contract is worth.

NINEster

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3vlnuojz said:
Would Keap make Dallas or Chicago better? I highly doubt it. Rave about his almost in the NFCCG but he also had three critical TO's when they needed him the most.

As for the face if the team I would be embarrassed if he were ours. Don't like Cutler either but his us just demeanor not immaturity and ignorance. I'd take Cutler or Romo on and off the field over Kaep in a heart beat.

And Wilson couldn't improve either of those teams as well.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":5vzqngte said:
CALIHAWK1":5vzqngte said:
MizzouHawkGal":5vzqngte said:

Their cap is a soft cap what they do instead is give teams slots each with hard caps and a couple vet exemptions (obviously football would have 10-15 times more of said slots) and they allow the home team of the player that is in a maximum cap slot to pay 15% more than someone trying to poach your max cap players. Plus like baseball you can elect to go over the cap in exchange for paying a stiff luxury tax.

Because of this it both allows you to pay your core the maximum and facilitates a robust trade market because of the static salaries top down. The NFL wouldn't be quite as static given they don't do full guaranteed contracts but it'd work fairly similarly.

I knew that part. Its to try to give teams like the Bucks a chance to keep players. It still doesnt work. I dont see how that would help the QB pay scale issue.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Marvin49":1v21vhbd said:
Not really a fan of LaCanfora, but he makes a case that Kap will get 20 mil per. Hard to argue with much of it. Also says he'll be making the same argument next year on Wilson.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/ja ... w-or-later

I think 20M a year for Kaep is hilarious.. but LaCanfora is absolutely right.

20M a year will then be topped by Wilson and Luck... Luck I can see actually coming near 25M a year. Anyone who thinks that Wilson is going to take a discount is out of their mind. The NFL QB is becoming as overpaid as the left handed pitcher in baseball.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2k25ai2l said:
Marvin49":2k25ai2l said:
Not really a fan of LaCanfora, but he makes a case that Kap will get 20 mil per. Hard to argue with much of it. Also says he'll be making the same argument next year on Wilson.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/ja ... w-or-later

I think 20M a year for Kaep is hilarious.. but LaCanfora is absolutely right.

20M a year will then be topped by Wilson and Luck... Luck I can see actually coming near 25M a year. Anyone who thinks that Wilson is going to take a discount is out of their mind. The NFL QB is becoming as overpaid as the left handed pitcher in baseball.

Pretty much where I'm at.

The number looks ludicrous, but its the price of doing business now and will be quickly topped and look cheap by comparison in only a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.