Colin Kaepernick wants $18M-plus annually from 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwdown

Reaction score
based on all the other guys making that much, I really don't see why Kaep shouldn't. In his short time, he's done more than Cutler, and Romo, and even if the ring finger says otherwise, I'd say he's a better QB than Flacco.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Just my humble opinion, but Kaepernick deserves every penny, and in a year or two 18 million for a starting QB will be worth every penny.

Despite his turnovers in the NFCCG, he was within a hairs width of completing a TD to Michael Crabtree and getting to hoist the Lombardi. That takes a lot for a QB to make mistakes but then come back and drive his team down the field for an opportunity at a game winning touchdown. If Malcolm Smith isn't there and that ball falls to the ground, who's to say he doesn't throw a TD on the next play or two? And that was AT Centurylink! Not even Drew Brees came that close to winning there.

Then there are his legs, the same legs that destroyed the Green Bay Packers, in their house. His team beat the Panthers, in Carolina. I don't think it's any coincidence that SF and Seattle are the 2 best teams in the NFL.

There's only one question about San Francisco's QB position, and that is, could another young QB from the draft outplay Colin? I doubt it. None of them have his legs, and on a team that relies on defense and the running game, you have to have a QB than can be a threat even though he never gets a chance to get in to a rhythm.

And as far as Romo goes, why is it that everyone this year predicted he would lose the game at the end, even before the game was played? Stats mean nothing, wins mean everything. If you believe otherwise, then you probably fall in the category of all those people who call Russell Wilson a game manager because "his stats aren't very good."

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You're right, Ivotuk; wins are everything to judge a QB by, since this isn't a team game.

Hey, wait a second...

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
He had the lowest completion % in the NFL when under pressure. Just saying.

chris98251

Reaction score
I call Wilson a Field General, I call Alex Smith a Game Manager, I call Kaep a Gambler and unrefined but a guy that if he gets it could win it all.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Romo is definitely underrated. Part of the problem is that we don't really have the language to talk about very good QBs who aren't the best QBs. Of the five young guys some of them (if not all of them, although I'd guess some) will end up being around 30 years old in this category, and people will say they suck simply because they're not in the future Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Brees category.

Basically, if you're past the age of "still progressing" and anywhere from above average to very good but not exceptional (e.g. Romo, Cutler, Stafford, Smith, Flacco; Ryan might end up in this category, etc.) some people are going to insist you suck, which just isn't true.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Don't have the language? Oh my effing goodness that post just screams beat down. Must be hard being a 9ers fan this offseason.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Dtowers":vkj5gm4r said:
Don't have the language? Oh my effing goodness that post just screams beat down. Must be hard being a 9ers fan this offseason.

New stadium? Marcus Lattimore? Tank Carradine? 12 draft picks including 6 in first 3 rounds?

Not really.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Marvin49":2dh37z8b said:
Dtowers":2dh37z8b said:

New stadium? Marcus Lattimore? Tank Carradine? 12 draft picks including 6 in first 3 rounds?

Not really.

And of course the only thing that matters, being defending Super Bowl Cha--oh, wait. :(

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3gj7bfnn said:
Marvin49":3gj7bfnn said:
Dtowers":3gj7bfnn said:

Not really.

And of course the only thing that matters, being defending Super Bowl Cha--oh, wait. :(

Well of course its a BETTER offseason if your a Seahawks fan. :) Not comparing, just sayin its not like the sky is falling and theres nothing to look forward to. :D

amill87

Reaction score
Marvin49":1pd0tne6 said:
Dtowers":1pd0tne6 said:

Not really.

Nevermind the stories every other day about your coach pushing himself out and the fact that your QB, who despite all the amazing plays he made, has had the ball in his hand with the chance to win a championship two times and failed to finish, is going to be paid $20 mil a year.

Kaepernick is an enigma. If I was a Niner fan, I would feel like I'm constantly being teased. At times, he looks simply amazing. And than he does something utterly stupid.

The knock on him is what is between his ears. The thought was after his first season as a starter and a full offseason, he would take the next step. Except he ended up being the exact same player this year.

We can put this a simple way. There isn't a single hawk fan that can question if Wilson can finish and win a championship. Niner fans cannot say the is no questions whether Kaep can get it done.

Marvin49

Reaction score
amill87":2f0nlgjg said:
Marvin49":2f0nlgjg said:
Dtowers":2f0nlgjg said:

Not really.

Nevermind the stories every other day about your coach pushing himself out and the fact that your QB, who despite all the amazing plays he made, has had the ball in his hand with the chance to win a championship two times and failed to finish, is going to be paid $20 mil a year.

Kaepernick is an enigma. If I was a Niner fan, I would feel like I'm constantly being teased. At times, he looks simply amazing. And than he does something utterly stupid.

The knock on him is what is between his ears. The thought was after his first season as a starter and a full offseason, he would take the next step. Except he ended up being the exact same player this year.

We can put this a simple way. There isn't a single hawk fan that can question if Wilson can finish and win a championship. Niner fans cannot say the is no questions whether Kaep can get it done.

So...are you trying to CONVINCE me that I should be having a rough offseason? LOL.

Sorry. I was over the NFCCG very soon after the game.

On your points....

1) Harbaugh: I think most of the stuff in the media lately is just BS, but even if it were true, he'll be the 49ers coach next year. Period. Why worry about that now? Worst case they trade him for draft picks next year...probably multiple 1's. Then they have a great roster and lots of $$$ thanks to the new stadium to go get a big name coach or promote from within. There are worse things.

2) Kap: "And than he does something utterly stupid". Uh, huh? Can you give me an example? I think too many Seattle fans have only seen Kap play against Seattle. Seattle has the best secondary in the NFL and makes ALOT of good players (see Manning, Peyton) look really, really bad. In 3 games last year, Kap threw 6 INTs vs the Seahawks. In the other 16 games he threw FIVE. He actually avoids the big mistake pretty consistantly. He absolutely needs work and needs to improve reading defenses and such, but I don't see him often do something "utterly stupid".

3) If Kap had the same tools out there to work with as he did in 2012, he would have taken a leap. Losing Crab, Walker and Moss really hurt. With Crab is was a ton of production. With Walker and Moss is was vertical speed (or in Moss's case the reputation of speed) that forced defenses to give them space and created room in the passing game. Having Vernon hurt at times and having a speed challenged Boldin as your only viable target didn't help matters.

Case in point.....Kaps QB Rating prior to Crabs return: 86.5. 14 TDs and 7 INTs. 56% comp%. AFTER Crabs return? 101.3 Rating. 7 TDs and 1 INT (and that was against Seattle). 61% comp%.

Its not a great mystery.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":r8q1ix5t said:
amill87":r8q1ix5t said:
Marvin49":r8q1ix5t said:
Dtowers":r8q1ix5t said:

Not really.

So...are you trying to CONVINCE me that I should be having a rough offseason? LOL.

On your points....

1) Harbaugh: I think most of the stuff in the media lately is just BS, but even if it were true, he'll be the 49ers coach next year. Period. Why worry about that now? Worst case they trade him for draft picks next year...probably multiple 1's. Then they have a great roster and lots of $$$ thanks to the new stadium to go get a big name coach or promote from within. There are worse things.

2) Kap: "And than he does something utterly stupid". Uh, huh? Can you give me an example? I think too many Seattle fans have only seen Kap play against Seattle. Seattle has the best secondary in the NFL and makes ALOT of good players (see Manning, Peyton) look really, really bad. In 3 games last year, Kap threw 6 INTs vs the Seahawks. In the other 16 games he threw FIVE. He actually avoids the big mistake pretty consistantly. He absolutely needs work and needs to improve reading defenses and such, but I don't see him often do something "utterly stupid".

3) If Kap had the same tools out there to work with as he did in 2012, he would have taken a leap. Losing Crab, Walker and Moss really hurt. With Crab is was a ton of production. With Walker and Moss is was vertical speed (or in Moss's case the reputation of speed) that forced defenses to give them space and created room in the passing game. Having Vernon hurt at times and having a speed challenged Boldin as your only viable target didn't help matters.

Case in point.....Kaps QB Rating prior to Crabs return: 86.5. 14 TDs and 7 INTs. 56% comp%. AFTER Crabs return? 101.3 Rating. 7 TDs and 1 INT (and that was against Seattle). 61% comp%.

Its not a great mystery.
Ahhhh I see the whiner HEM (Human Excuse Machine) is still spinning like a top. LMAO!

Mike 4G

Reaction score
To me the biggest difference is that Kap needs better players to elevate his game. Wilson is the opposite. His game elevates the players and makes them better.

amill87

Reaction score
Marvin49":18gzspzl said:

On your points....

Its not a great mystery.

So basically he isn't as good without his number 1 receiver? Don't hide behind the Crabtree injury. He still had Boldin and Davis. Both better players than what the hawks had on offense. Oh and BTW, Wilson sure didn't seem to mind not having his top receivers for almost the whole year.

He gets the nickname captain one read for a reason. Of course his stats are better when his first read is a better player.

He made an utterly stupid decision in that pick 6 he threw against Green Bay. He lost you guys that game. Fortunately for you (and us because it just made it that much sweeter), the GB DB wanted to lose the game more by dropping a gimmie pick.

I don't think you're trying to convince us anything about Kaepernick. It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself. You avoided my last statement. Do you really have no doubts that Kaepernick can finish the job? I'll add another layer, if after this season Harbs is gone, do you have no doubt that Kaepernick can be the same player without him?

Marvin49

Reaction score
amill87":tnbqlr6y said:
Marvin49":tnbqlr6y said:

On your points....

Its not a great mystery.

So basically he isn't as good without his number 1 receiver? Don't hide behind the Crabtree injury. He still had Boldin and Davis. Both better players than what the hawks had on offense. Oh and BTW, Wilson sure didn't seem to mind not having his top receivers for almost the whole year.

He gets the nickname captain one read for a reason. Of course his stats are better when his first read is a better player.

He made an utterly stupid decision in that pick 6 he threw against Green Bay. He lost you guys that game. Fortunately for you (and us because it just made it that much sweeter), the GB DB wanted to lose the game more by dropping a gimmie pick.

I don't think you're trying to convince us anything about Kaepernick. It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself. You avoided my last statement. Do you really have no doubts that Kaepernick can finish the job? I'll add another layer, if after this season Harbs is gone, do you have no doubt that Kaepernick can be the same player without him?

I'm not hiding behind anything. Its the truth. I already know what I think, I don't need to convince myself. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning.

I already said he needed work reading defenses and he does lock on his #1 WR. All I'm sayin' is that he doesn't often "do something utterly stupid". Yup...he almost threw a pick 6 in GB. Wilson "almost" threw a pick in Seattle too when it went through Reids hands. In the end "almost" don't mean squat. Kap "almost" threw an INT on the Boldin TD. There are ALOT of "almosts" all year long. Kap "almost" threw a TD to win the game too. The 49ers "almost" stopped Seattle on 4th and 7. Seattle "almost" lost to Houston and St. Louis. The 49ers "almost" lost to Atlanta and Arizona. Don't give me this "almost" crap.

As for comparisons to Wilson, I'm not making that comparison. BTW, one thing I've learned from being on this site is that I appear to have a much higher opinion of Seattles WRs than Seattle fans do. For LARGE portions of the season I'd have killed to have Baldwin and Tate. Boldin is great, but when you double him, Vernon is out or on a bad hamstring, and you have NOBODY ELSE, it's going to make for a tough time. Boldin can't break free by himself. Its a part of why Kap struggled when pressured. He's get back there, Boldin is doubled...and nobody is open.

I'll give big credit here to Wilson on this one. When something like that happened, he was able to elude pressure and give his receivers time to break open. Kap isn't as good at doing that. He accelerates like nobody else, but when he's pressured he doesn't elude defenders nearly as well as Wilson. He's too tall and rangy to be as nimble as Wilson is. In this case, Wilsons height actually works FOR him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ba6627z said:
One thing I've learned from being on this site is that I appear to have a much higher opinion of Seattles WRs than Seattle fans do.

Yeah, that has been a big shocker for me too. Although TBF that really only took hold over the last month of the season and through the first two playoff games when Wilson was really sucking. Hawks fans are so gaga for Wilson (and deservedly so, I really like him as a player too) that for some of them all possible offensive failings are A.B.W. (Anything But Wilson; him still needing to learn how to climb the pocket is exclusively the fault of the o-line; when he goes through bouts of inconsistent accuracy and decision making it's the fault of the WRs; when the offense is stalling and he's not moving the ball it's either the fault of Lynch or Bevell is "the worst playcaller in the NFL", etc., etc). Kinda funny to watch from outside because I too would have killed for the Hawks' WRs last year.

Also, you're getting trolled. Nobody is listening to you, nor do they have any intention of doing so. Give it up, dude. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts