Division Rivals

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":v28rbmpb said:
49ers (Jimmy) bailed out huge time by refs.
It was a correct call, so they did their job.

But HE needs to stop thinking he’s Brett Favre, especially on throws to the outside. He might have a quick release, but he doesn’t have the arm strength to make those throws unless they are well timed.

NINEster

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2q932ckx said:
Coug_Hawk08":2q932ckx said:

But HE needs to stop thinking he’s Brett Favre, especially on throws to the outside. He might have a quick release, but he doesn’t have the arm strength to make those throws unless they are well timed.

All correctable issues.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3ddbqxd1 said:
Coug_Hawk08":3ddbqxd1 said:

In your shoes, I'd probably say the same thing.

But he barely held him and all of the contract happened within five yards - around the five yard mark, he stopped contacting him. I thought it was a bad call as they let that go more often than they call it IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Eh, the rules on bumping vs. holding are pretty clear, you can see the jersey grab, and I think it's generous to say it was all within five yards of the LOS.

The other factor here is that call didn't come in a vacuum: it was the third time the Lions got called for holding on Kittle that game (i.e. if you keep getting called for the same thing on the same player, you gotta be MUCH smarter about not testing those limits).

I'd say the 9ers got bailed out by play/adjustments/coaching by the Lions rather than a gift call, but they still got bailed out.

Who actually got bailed out, though?

I think Kyle Shanahan got bailed out for what was a crappy play call (empty set) on 3rd and 2 when the Lions have no timeouts and you're trying to run the clock down. If you're gonna pass I also don't like a pass that's designed for an RB split out wide who isn't known as much of a receiver.

And from what Shanahan and Garoppolo both said after the game, Dante Pettis got bailed out too, as that pass was a sight adjustment and Pettis ran the wrong route (against zone he was supposed to put the CB in conflict and clear out the flat for Breida by running deep, but against man -- which it was -- he was supposed to run an inside slant rub route which would clear out the flat for Breida).

Long story short, I know Hawks, Cards, and Rams fans are gonna cry foul on this because it's the second time in two weeks, but that would-have-been interception wasn't on Garoppolo. Both times it's a WR running the wrong route on a sight adjustment. We can blame young WRs for that, we can blame Goodwin being out for that, or we can blame Shanahan for that (this IS THE PROBLEM with sight adjustments that assume everyone is on the same page), but it's two quick throws in which as a QB Garoppolo did what he is SUPPOSED TO DO.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1lqo25rz said:
^^^ Eh, the rules on bumping vs. holding are pretty clear, you can see the jersey grab, and I think it's generous to say it was all within five yards of the LOS.

The other factor here is that call didn't come in a vacuum: it was the third time the Lions got called for holding on Kittle that game (i.e. if you keep getting called for the same thing on the same player, you gotta be MUCH smarter about not testing those limits).

I'd say the 9ers got bailed out by play/adjustments/coaching by the Lions rather than a gift call, but they still got bailed out.

I think Kyle Shanahan got bailed out for what was a crappy play call (empty set) on 3rd and 2 when the Lions have no timeouts and you're trying to run the clock down. If you're gonna pass I also don't like a pass that's designed for an RB split out wide who isn't known as much of a receiver.

And from what Shanahan and Garoppolo both said after the game, Dante Pettis got bailed out too, as that pass was a sight adjustment and Pettis ran the wrong route (against zone he was supposed to put the CB in conflict and clear out the flat for Breida by running deep, but against man -- which it was -- he was supposed to run an inside slant rub route which would clear out the flat for Breida).

Long story short, I know Hawks, Cards, and Rams fans are gonna cry foul on this because it's the second time in two weeks, but that would-have-been interception wasn't on Garoppolo. Both times it's a WR running the wrong route on a sight adjustment. We can blame young WRs for that, we can blame Goodwin being out for that, or we can blame Shanahan for that (this IS THE PROBLEM with sight adjustments that assume everyone is on the same page), but it's two quick throws in which as a QB Garoppolo did what he is SUPPOSED TO DO.

You can see the jersey grab, yes. And I'll admit I did not watch the whole game.

But you see a one second grab of a player's jersey all the time not get called. A Raider DB was holding onto Demaryous Thomas' shoulder pad as leverage to jump and contest the pass and didn't get called. The Rams first offensive series against Oakland the DB did the exact same thing to Cooks and didn't get called.

I've seen it called too - don't get me wrong. But if I've seen it both called and not called, I don't want it called with two minutes left in a close game.

Very similar to that OPI the Niners got called for against the Rams last year on Thursday night football - can you argue that technically it's a foul? Sure. Should it have been called? Hell no.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":s796b23m said:
Still looks like an average QB this year.
Average is about 100 times better than anything the 49ers have had in years... Also, dude does have some room to grow. If he gets better at making decisions he'll graduate to pretty good.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":eznd90c0 said:

Also, for the record, Jimmy has played better than I expected. I've been impressed with him so far. That the Niners won this game and were up by multiple scores at one point validates the "hype" IMO. So now when I check out the Rams upcoming schedule:

Chargers
Vikings
@Seahawks
@Broncos
@Niners
Packers
@Saints

I had all three of those back to back to back road games as relatively easy wins - but if Seattle still plays well at home, which I'm assuming they will, and if the Saints are better than what they've shown thus far, which I'm assuming they are - then that's one of the most brutal 7 game stretches I've ever seen. And after that we have the Bears (on the road), Chiefs and Eagles - not in that order though.

94Smith

Reaction score
Ramfan128":t3n8p90i said:
Also, for the record, Jimmy has played better than I expected. I've been impressed with him so far. That the Niners won this game and were up by multiple scores at one point validates the "hype" IMO. So now when I check out the Rams upcoming schedule:

Chargers
Vikings
@Seahawks
@Broncos
@Niners
Packers
@Saints

I'd say that is pretty favorable. By all accounts you are going to be determining home field advantage throughout the playoffs with the games against the Vikings and the Packers and you get to play them in your stadium. You have to play the niners and the seahawks anyway, so when you play them is moot. The Saints have been looking like they have zero home field advantage. It is a stretch of tough teams, but is any game a sure win in the NFC this year?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
94Smith":2en969f8 said:
Ramfan128":2en969f8 said:

Chargers
Vikings
@Seahawks
@Broncos
@Niners
Packers
@Saints

I'd say that is pretty favorable. By all accounts you are going to be determining home field advantage throughout the playoffs with the games against the Vikings and the Packers and you get to play them in your stadium. You have to play the niners and the seahawks anyway, so when you play them is moot. The Saints have been looking like they have zero home field advantage. It is a stretch of tough teams, but is any game a sure win in the NFC this year?

I guess my point was with how the Niners looked, what I originally thought would be easy now looks more difficult

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":18rf4bzo said:
94Smith":18rf4bzo said:
Ramfan128":18rf4bzo said:

Chargers
Vikings
@Seahawks
@Broncos
@Niners
Packers
@Saints

I guess my point was with how the Niners looked, what I originally thought would be easy now looks more difficult

I still think the Rams have a sizable edge there.

Much has been made of "teams figuing out" Jimmy G. I don't think thats the issue at all. I think last year he was just wingin it because he didn't know the offense. This year he almost seems in his head a bit. Shanahan system sometimes take two years to master and I think he/they are i the middle of that. There are a number of times he and his WR are on different pages resulting in ugly interceptions but to me the part that has me more concerned is him holding the ball WAY too long and taking sacks he shouldn't take.

That a combo IMO of two things.

1) Trying to get through his reads and make something happen.
2) WRs not getting open.

I still have 100% faith in him a very good QB but I think we forget how few starts he's had and how much he can still improve particularly in this system. I'll also be nice to get Goodwin back.

Niners aren't there yet. Alot of work to do and holes to fill.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Agreed.

I root for em but the 9ers still have a ton of holes and from these first two weeks I still think they're the 8-8 team I thought they'd be.

They'll lose some they should win and win some they should lose, but overall I think the division is setting up nicely this year for the Rams going all in.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3r3i0it4 said:
Agreed.

I root for em but the 9ers still have a ton of holes and from these first two weeks I still think they're the 8-8 team I thought they'd be.

They'll lose some they should win and win some they should lose, but overall I think the division is setting up nicely this year for the Rams going all in.

Agreed. I think the Niners are gonna have a tough time here early on and really put together a streak at the end as they get better within the schemes and the schedule softens.

As a Rams fan you always have to worry about young, upstart teams (of which you yourself are one), but barring injuries I think the Rams take the division again this year.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Marvin49":3tprv5wk said:
Ramfan128":3tprv5wk said:
94Smith":3tprv5wk said:
Ramfan128":3tprv5wk said:

Chargers
Vikings
@Seahawks
@Broncos
@Niners
Packers
@Saints

I still think the Rams have a sizable edge there.

Much has been made of "teams figuing out" Jimmy G. I don't think thats the issue at all. I think last year he was just wingin it because he didn't know the offense. This year he almost seems in his head a bit. Shanahan system sometimes take two years to master and I think he/they are i the middle of that. There are a number of times he and his WR are on different pages resulting in ugly interceptions but to me the part that has me more concerned is him holding the ball WAY too long and taking sacks he shouldn't take.

That a combo IMO of two things.

1) Trying to get through his reads and make something happen.
2) WRs not getting open.

I still have 100% faith in him a very good QB but I think we forget how few starts he's had and how much he can still improve particularly in this system. I'll also be nice to get Goodwin back.

Niners aren't there yet. Alot of work to do and holes to fill.

Tbh the All 22 film shows a lot of instances where the receivers are absolutely blanketed. Goodwin is really needed, and the loss of Jet is really showing up.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Chargers are a very talented team. They had to play arguably the hottest teams in the league and lost to both with a convincing win against a hapless Bills team (maybe not so hapless as of this week) sandwiched in between. I had high hopes for them, but... chargers

RedAlice

Reaction score
Maulbert":2qi94d1f said:
adeltaY":2qi94d1f said:
The Rams look incredible.

The Rams are class. But they haven't really been tested yet this year. Hell, they haven't even left California yet. Let's see what happens Thursday before we anoint them.

Kick off is less than 4 days away.

Rams today lost Peters, Talib, Easley and JoJo.

There is now no Kick Returner and we have a sub-par fill in for our pro-bowl kicker. Best two DBs out.

I still think Rams beat Vikes in a tough battle.

RedAlice

Reaction score
adeltaY":28wzciu4 said:
Chargers are a very talented team. They had to play arguably the hottest teams in the league and lost to both with a convincing win against a hapless Bills team (maybe not so hapless as of this week) sandwiched in between. I had high hopes for them, but... chargers

Chargers.

When the Rams got a TD cuz they blocked the Charger punter in the Rams end zone...my first thought was - only the Chargers.

Latest posts