Does RW ever use the Audible at the Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":akt01dqb said:
Siouxhawk":akt01dqb said:
Russ definitely has the authority to audible given what he sees from the defense. In fact, his OC and QB coach work with him on this and encourage him to check into another play if he sees a tell in the defense.

Prove this !

I remember after we beat Green Bay in the playoffs where Russ said he got cover 1 and checked into it to score. Changing the play if you see something is not advanced math for a QB. This is something I am sure he has been doing for a while now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":33lrv0iw said:
Siouxhawk":33lrv0iw said:
Russ definitely has the authority to audible given what he sees from the defense. In fact, his OC and QB coach work with him on this and encourage him to check into another play if he sees a tell in the defense.

Prove this !
:2thumbs: This should be interesting.... :snack:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1j62r1eo said:
chris98251":1j62r1eo said:
Siouxhawk":1j62r1eo said:

Prove this !

I remember after we beat Green Bay in the playoffs where Russ said he got cover 1 and checked into it to score. Changing the play if you see something is not advanced math for a QB. This is something I am sure he has been doing for a while now.

Again he does not have complete carte blanche to audible he has some latitude on some sets

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2y48s1rf said:
Siouxhawk":2y48s1rf said:

not true and not all the times. there are some plays where he has no option to audible at all.
It's very true. And 7 of 10 in this thread have said as much that he audibles. Article at beginning of season said that's what the staff has been working on, getting him to read the defense and then decide if the check-to play would work better.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":i441l417 said:
Anthony!":i441l417 said:
Siouxhawk":i441l417 said:

not true and not all the times. there are some plays where he has no option to audible at all.
It's very true. And 7 of 10 in this thread have said as much that he audibles. Article at beginning of season said that's what the staff has been working on, getting him to read the defense and then decide if the check-to play would work better.

PROVE IT !

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3fczt0nn said:
Anthony!":3fczt0nn said:
Siouxhawk":3fczt0nn said:

Okay then please show me the article that says he has complete carte Blanch to audible anytime any play. Because Huard said just last week on 710 he does not. UNtil then I will go with Huard and he does not. Oh and FYI If you actually read what I said earlier is he gets 2 plays the one they want and the one he can change to, that is not much good if both suck though does it. The only time he has close to complete carte blanch in in the uptempo

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":13v0heq8 said:
Siouxhawk":13v0heq8 said:
Anthony!":13v0heq8 said:
Siouxhawk":13v0heq8 said:

Okay then please show me the article that says he has complete carte Blanch to audible anytime any play. Because Huard said just last week on 710 he does not. UNtil then I will go with Huard and he does not
Attach the article in which Brock says that.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3it1xmue said:
Anthony!":3it1xmue said:
Siouxhawk":3it1xmue said:
Anthony!":3it1xmue said:

Okay then please show me the article that says he has complete carte Blanch to audible anytime any play. Because Huard said just last week on 710 he does not. UNtil then I will go with Huard and he does not
Attach the article in which Brock says that.

1 it was on 710 not in an article, 2 you started it, so prove yours first and until then the answer is no he does not have complete carte blanch, I know you want him to, so it can help you boy the OC but sorry he does not.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
So if I read you correctly, you say Russell never calls an audible?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3c66cjfm said:

No not what I said, What I said is he does not have carte blanch to call an audible anytime he wants to anything he wants. As A norm he gets 2 plays, 1 is the one they call, the other is the one he can audible to. Now if they are in the uptempo he can audible to anything he wants any time. However, there are other times where he has no choice but to run whats called. Example the pass in the SB that got picked off, he had no other choice they said it. Example 2 the pass over the top to DB a game or so ago when they were running uptempo he could do what he wanted. When we are running the 15 scripted plays or that style of slow offense he gets 2 plays one they want, and one he can change it too. Typically 1 is a pass play 1 a run.

Hence why the uptempo works so well, Rw and the offense have control over what play is run so if there see something they can go to it.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":etxwg19t said:
Siouxhawk":etxwg19t said:

No not what I said, What I said is he does not have carte blanch to call an audible anytime he wants to anything he wants. As A norm he gets 2 plays, 1 is the one they call, the other is the one he can audible to. Now if they are in the uptempo he can audible to anything he wants any time. However, there are other times where he has no choice but to run whats called. Example the pass in the SB that got picked off, he had no other choice they said it. Example 2 the bass over the top to DB a game or so ago when they were running uptempo he could do what he wanted. When we are running the 15 scripted plays or that style of slow offense he gets 2 plays one they want, and one he can change it too. Typically 1 is a pass play 1 a run.

Hence why the uptempo works so well, Rw and the offense have control over what play is run so if there see something they can go to it
I don't think that's exactly correct. As you said, he can switch to the check-down play depending on the set of the defense. That's what they are trying to instill in him. But he's not just pulling plays out of his butt in the up-tempo. That's why they have that speaker in the helmet. He also has the condensed menu of plays on his arm, if I recall. And I believe that even with the timing plays, he has the option to audible into the check-down. Why wouldn't he?

Torc

Reaction score
Vesuve":2yd1irt3 said:
"Had not been very successful inside the 1."

1st and goal in the Super Bowl.

4 Downs to go.

What do you suggest?

you're forgetting - 26 seconds left and no time outs. If Lynch had failed to get in the end zone on the first run, the Patriots would have laid on him and done everything they could to prevent the ball from being snapped again.

I would absolutely, 100%, NOT have handed the ball to Lynch. I would have called a pass play that didn't bunch up all the players in one 5 yard square and given Wilson a pass that he could have thrown away to stop the clock if he didn't have a clear throwing lane. A hand-off to Lynch, as much as I would have loved to see him win the game, would have been the wrong call on that play. Maybe the next one if the pass didn't work...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's just one play but for at least that play, RW did audible out of the called play. This was last season against the Dolphins - http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...n-called-an-audible-on-game-winning-touchdown

It would be difficult to prove how often he audibles out of a play unless we know what play was called originally. None of us on here are in the huddle to know that. But some of you act like you are in the know (but we know you aren't) so I wanted to see if any proof would have been provided.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1yi6qupt said:
Anthony!":1yi6qupt said:
Siouxhawk":1yi6qupt said:

No not what I said, What I said is he does not have carte blanch to call an audible anytime he wants to anything he wants. As A norm he gets 2 plays, 1 is the one they call, the other is the one he can audible to. Now if they are in the uptempo he can audible to anything he wants any time. However, there are other times where he has no choice but to run whats called. Example the pass in the SB that got picked off, he had no other choice they said it. Example 2 the bass over the top to DB a game or so ago when they were running uptempo he could do what he wanted. When we are running the 15 scripted plays or that style of slow offense he gets 2 plays one they want, and one he can change it too. Typically 1 is a pass play 1 a run.

Hence why the uptempo works so well, Rw and the offense have control over what play is run so if there see something they can go to it
I don't think that's exactly correct. As you said, he can switch to the check-down play depending on the set of the defense. That's what they are trying to instill in him. But he's not just pulling plays out of his butt in the up-tempo. That's why they have that speaker in the helmet. He also has the condensed menu of plays on his arm, if I recall. And I believe that even with the timing plays, he has the option to audible into the check-down. Why wouldn't he?

Yeah well I am sorry but it is correct, both Huard and Millan have spoken volumes about it on the radio as has Holmgren, the outline I said above ie as of now how it works.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":hwd1ca8w said:
Siouxhawk":hwd1ca8w said:
Anthony!":hwd1ca8w said:
Siouxhawk":hwd1ca8w said:

Yeah well I am sorry but it is correct, both Huard and Millan have spoken volumes about it on the radio as has Holmgren, the outline I said above ie as of now how it works.
You can say it all you want, but it doesn't make it correct. Other posters here have just corroborated the point I'm trying to make. That Russell does have the authority to call an audible if he sees fit.

OP
OP
had2bhawk

had2bhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2dskbg5s said:
It's just one play but for at least that play, RW did audible out of the called play. This was last season against the Dolphins - http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...n-called-an-audible-on-game-winning-touchdown

It would be difficult to prove how often he audibles out of a play unless we know what play was called originally. None of us on here are in the huddle to know that. But some of you act like you are in the know (but we know you aren't) so I wanted to see if any proof would have been provided.

Nice touch hawkfan68!

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vtk7z87 said:

All I can do is tell you what Huard, Millan, and Holmgren have said on the radio, and what the OC said during interviews. Any other info I got comes from players I know, or what other experts say.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3fgxnrhj said:
Anthony!":3fgxnrhj said:
Siouxhawk":3fgxnrhj said:
Anthony!":3fgxnrhj said:

You can say it all you want, but it doesn't make it correct. Other posters here have just corroborated the point I'm trying to make. That Russell does have the authority to call an audible if he sees fit.

And you can believe that now prove it, until you do I will go with what I have seen and hear from the experts

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
When you think of it, it would be mind-boggling to NOT think that Russ, as a six-season veteran, has the authority to call an audible when the defensive set dictates that the check-to play would produce better results.

And Bevell has never, ever said that Russ doesn't have the freedom to call audibles in the last couple of years. Conversely, he encourages it.

Status
Not open for further replies.