Does RW ever use the Audible at the Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2sd4t84i said:
When you think of it, it would be mind-boggling to NOT think that Russ, as a six-season veteran, has the authority to call an audible when the defensive set dictates that the check-to play would produce better results.

And Bevell has never, ever said that Russ doesn't have the freedom to call audibles in the last couple of years. Conversely, he encourages it.

CHeck to play simply means the other of the 2 plays he is given but if both suck then what? He cant audible to anything else. and again " I SAID COMPLET CATE BLANCH TO AUDIBLE TO ANY PLAY AT ANY TIME" he does not have permission to do this. A check to is not really an audible, he is given 2 plays, that is it he can only run those 2. That is not audibling.

A"What is Audible?
When a player (generally the quarterback) changes the play call at the line of scrimmage.

Most plays are called while all players are in a huddle; the quarterback would 'audible' if he didn't like the original play call based on what formation he saw the defense in or if there were an opportunity that could be exploited."

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/audible.aspx

So if we use this as our definition and he is given 2 plays and if neither fits the criteria above he is not audibling, as the play he might be able to change to may not work either but another might but he is not allowed to audible to it. To be a real audible he has to be able to change to whatever he thinks will work not just choose from 1 or 2 plays, like he is allowed to in the uptmepo, partly because there is not time for the OC to change anything, part because the OC does not see what the QW and other sees. Guess what it almost always works un the uptempo

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's all about targeting a specific area of the field or defensive personnel grouping. The play you'd check to would better exploit the defensive alignment. That is an audible.

You're talking about the quarterback just having the ability to dial up any play he wants. Aside from Brady and possibly Brees, I don't know of any other quarterback who has that authority. Peyton Manning had it if I'm not mistaken.

But detecting tells in the defense is what Bevell and Wilson work together on all the time. It's why they sit together on the bench and scan the Microsoft Surface computer. They're checking out the defensive sets. They know what plays they want to run and they prepare the potential for audible scenarios based on what they're seeing from the defense.

It's nothing profound. Most teams do this. It's a basic element of the game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Perhaps we are splitting hairs here. Rw is given 2 plays in the normal offense, He calls one and can change to the other. Now if either of those plays work great, but if neither matches to what the defense is doing we are screwed as he cant change the play to anything else. Now at times he has no option at all, at other times mostly in the uptempo he can change it to any play he wants not just choosing from the 2 he is given. According to the definition of an Adubile, you change the play to a different play that takes advantage of the defense, If all you have is 2 plays you cant usually do this, therefore, it is not audibling.

mrt144

Reaction score
6 ignored posts in a row and i combo break it with the observation of combo breaking

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3gbnst7s said:
It's all about targeting a specific area of the field or defensive personnel grouping. The play you'd check to would better exploit the defensive alignment. That is an audible.

You're talking about the quarterback just having the ability to dial up any play he wants. Aside from Brady and possibly Brees, I don't know of any other quarterback who has that authority. Peyton Manning had it if I'm not mistaken.

But detecting tells in the defense is what Bevell and Wilson work together on all the time. It's why they sit together on the bench and scan the Microsoft Surface computer. They're checking out the defensive sets. They know what plays they want to run and they prepare the potential for audible scenarios based on what they're seeing from the defense.

It's nothing profound. Most teams do this. It's a basic element of the game.

Firs part is correct but if the 2 plays you are given to choose from both do not target the defense correctly you are not audibling. And no I am not talking about a QB just dialing up any play he wants, Rw is given 2 plays to choose from, 1 to run 12 he can change to, if neither works for the defense they are playing we are screwed. NOw in the uptempo totally different RW can change the play to anything he wants, and often calls it at the line and change sit at the line. SO sorry once again he does not have CArte Blanche to audible to any play he wants. FYI just because they look at the computer means little, all that means is they look at the computer of what the defense was doing, and if the defense does the same thing great but if not they are screwed as the only 2 plays RW will get will be for what they thought the defense would do, every QB does that, the only difference is most OC is in the booth were they can see everything. Now imagine they did this, Rw got his 2 plays and he sees oh crap neither will work but hey this will work, guess what he cant change it to that in the standard offense. He can in the uptempo though. Sorry he does not have complete carte blanch to change the play to whatever he wants when he wants in the standard offense or certain other situation, He doe sin the uptempo though

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":cw292zql said:
Perhaps we are splitting hairs here. Rw is given 2 plays in the normal offense, He calls one and can change to the other. Now if either of those plays work great, but if neither matches to what the defense is doing we are screwed as he cant change the play to anything else. Now at times he has no option at all, at other times mostly in the uptempo he can change it to any play he wants not just choosing from the 2 he is given. According to the definition of an Adubile, you change the play to a different play that takes advantage of the defense, If all you have is 2 plays you cant usually do this, therefore, it is not audibling.
Doesn't sound like either of us will budge, but that's OK. My belief is that the audible is the second option within that play. Now you can add a wrinkle to that with terminology that moves a player to the other side of the field or puts him in motion, but yes, the audible is the check-down play.

And again, I don't believe Russ is just picking random plays out there in the uptempo. Bevell is still directing him. That's his job. It's why he wears the headset and microphone on the sideline. Russell's job is to carry out the play and perhaps use his great improvising ability and running prowess to keep things alive if the play breaks down for whatever reason.

I don't even think Russ would want the authority to remember the multitude of plays in the playbook and dial up the one that he thinks would work best against the defense lining up across from him. That's too much to ask of the quarterback and it's the reason so few are given that total freedom.

chris98251

Reaction score
Still waiting for proof Siouxhawk, you have made sure to walk around and side step the question.

In fact if you can't link something you should retract everything you have stated and be labeled a Troll and have a .NET name change added to you user name, .Net Bevellsuckup

Oh and prior to the OC in the skybox or booth so to speak most QB's called their own plays, it is not that hard if you have the language down, they used to use hand signals from someone on he sidelines or shuttle players in. Dallas Cowboys started the whole OC calling the plays when they had Meredith as QB. Landry didn't trust QB's much and if you ever seen Dandy Don he was a athlete but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Why stealing signals was a big thing as well, teams used to have a spy try to correlate the hand signal with the play calls to get an advantage. Then reading lips from cameras, why you see OC hide behind their play sheet now.

There is a reason QB's used to be called Field Generals after all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2nth2oty said:
Anthony!":2nth2oty said:
Doesn't sound like either of us will budge, but that's OK. My belief is that the audible is the second option within that play. Now you can add a wrinkle to that with terminology that moves a player to the other side of the field or puts him in motion, but yes, the audible is the check-down play.

And again, I don't believe Russ is just picking random plays out there in the uptempo. Bevell is still directing him. That's his job. It's why he wears the headset and microphone on the sideline. Russell's job is to carry out the play and perhaps use his great improvising ability and running prowess to keep things alive if the play breaks down for whatever reason.

I don't even think Russ would want the authority to remember the multitude of plays in the playbook and dial up the one that he thinks would work best against the defense lining up across from him. That's too much to ask of the quarterback and it's the reason so few are given that total freedom.

Believe what you want, does not change the fact what I said is what is happening.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I don't believe Russell is being prohibited from audibling calls, if that's what you're getting at. In fact, he's being encouraged to do it. His veteran leadership has earned him that authority.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2jiv1oeu said:
Still waiting for proof Siouxhawk, you have made sure to walk around and side step the question.

In fact if you can't link something you should retract everything you have stated and be labeled a Troll and have a .NET name change added to you user name, .Net Bevellsuckup

Oh and prior to the OC in the skybox or booth so to speak most QB's called their own plays, it is not that hard if you have the language down, they used to use hand signals from someone on he sidelines or shuttle players in. Dallas Cowboys started the whole OC calling the plays when they had Meredith as QB. Landry didn't trust QB's much and if you ever seen Dandy Don he was a athlete but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Why stealing signals was a big thing as well, teams used to have a spy try to correlate the hand signal with the play calls to get an advantage. Then reading lips from cameras, why you see OC hide behind their play sheet now.

Yeah, guys like Bradshaw, Staubach ... they likely did call their own plays. Having players shuttle in plays to the huddle and using hand and sign signals, on the other hand, is still having a coach direct the action. It's just a matter of technology.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1p0ku2bn said:
I don't believe Russell is being prohibited from audibling calls, if that's what you're getting at. In fact, he's being encouraged to do it. His veteran leadership has earned him that authority.

so prove it then, Find me an article or a video or an audio were PC or someone said he has complete carte blanch at all times to change the play to anything he wants, and he never has a call made he cant change to anything. Until then you can believe what you want, that does not make it right and all you need to do is watch a game to know it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":12kcj82x said:
chris98251":12kcj82x said:

Yeah, guys like Bradshaw, Staubach ... they likely did call their own plays. Having players shuttle in plays to the huddle and using hand and sign signals, on the other hand, is still having a coach direct the action. It's just a matter of technology.

That is great for them but that was how many years ago? and that is not Rw or the Hawks. And again did nothing to prove your statements correct. IT doe snot prove RW can call any play other than the 2 per play he is given, does not prove in the uptempo he does not have more latitude. It really does nothing

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I didn't even bother reading this thread.

Of frickin course he does..

Football much

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3a61gx0i said:
Siouxhawk":3a61gx0i said:

so prove it then, Find me an article or a video or an audio were PC or someone said he has complete carte blanch at all times to change the play to anything he wants, and he never has a call made he cant change to anything. Until then you can believe what you want, that does not make it right and all you need to do is watch a game to know it.
I don't have to prove a damn thing. You're not proving anything other than saying "I heard" it on the radio. Sure.
Besides, my position has common sense behind it. It's absurd to think that Russ isn't allowed to audible as a six-year vet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":xuikldbw said:
Prove this !
LOL, since when does that poster require proof for anything he says, or even a shred of evidence, for that matter?

Siouxhawk":xuikldbw said:
Besides, my position has common sense behind it.
ROFL. Good one. Which club do you stand-up comedy at? "Common sense" and "Siouxhawk" go together like oil and water.

Anthony!

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2ks3n5yr said:

Football much

Not all the time, unless its the uptempo and again having to choose between only 2 plays is not an audible

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":11614as8 said:

Football much
Thank you. I don't know why I bother.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
P.S., having the ability to audible is one thing. Having good options to audible to that are likely to work well when you have a few seconds to change it based on where personnel already are on the field, etc. is something else.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2bhqxpba said:
P.S., having the ability to audible is one thing. Having good options to audible to that are likely to work well when you have a few seconds to change it based on where personnel already are on the field, etc. is something else.
And that's exactly what Russ is being trained to do. That was my initial point.

Status
Not open for further replies.