Dumping the defensive stars so we can get more offensive?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2co2mnkr said:
Sgt. Largent":2co2mnkr said:
pittpnthrs":2co2mnkr said:
jammerhawk":2co2mnkr said:
schemes change based upon personnel

They sure didnt here. Years have gone by with our coordinators trying to change players strengths to fit their scheme instead of the other way around. This is my biggest concern going forward with Pete too. Is he finally going to scrap his philosophy of the offense doing just enough to keep it close in the end and open things up, or is he still going to depend on a defense that isnt even a shell of its former self. I'm not holding my breath.

Pete's had the same philosophy, on both sides of the ball for over 40 years, so I don't think he's changing now.

- acquire players that love the game, love it's physicality, and have a chip on their shoulder
- ball control grind down the opponent breaking their will on offense
- have a freaky athletically fast and punishing defense that punches people in the mouth

So I think we're all OK with Pete's philosophies, it's the part where we trust he and John to rebuild again. That's where most of our confidence starts to wane.

Do they still have it in them for one more run?

Then we are in much more trouble than we thought. Pete's philosophy works when you have the players and talent to execute it, but it fails miserably (as we have seen) when you don't. This team sure doesn't and wont have the horses for that show for some time. Lean times ahead because we have a coach that refuses to change and adapt. This has been the problem all along and why the team has under achieved.

YEP.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":10edp6lp said:
The more I think about it the more I realize that Pete's affinity to the defense is going to make it really difficult to win with the offense if the defense cannot.

Which means the guy with the trade Wilson thread was probably right. We should have traded Wilson and reloaded our defense. People would have gone crazy but the Viking showed, you can win with a decent but not great QB.

This sounds more like a Pete problem than an everyone but Pete problem. Dude is getting old, might retire soon, doing a whole rebuild and jettisoning one of the two bright spots on offense AND turning over the defense at the same time. Wouldn't be pretty and if it sucks that might accelerate everything and put us into a full on rebuild with a new coach and FO.

Sucks things don't last forever but there's at least some sense in keeping 1 of your two productive offensive players even if the value from a trade could start a rebuild in earnest.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is a reset, we hope last years draft brought some DB talent along with the F.A. we signed, you look at the team and drop Wilsons salary off the top and then begin your structure, our defense was almost making twice or three times as much as the offense if you remove Wilson.

We will retool to more of a 60/40 type split still in favor of the defense, but it will hurt for a bit.

We are not going to go Gunslinger mode on offense, every time something even close to that has happened Pete has fired or got into conflict with his OC. Why Chow left in USC, he was moving the ball too fast.

The problem Pete faces right now is there are three teams if Arizona gets a QB that are better stocked then we are at the moment, When Pete took over only the 49ers were a real threat and the Rams had a defense and that was it.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Part of it is that Jimmy Garoppolo and his agent just drove the price up for a Russell Wilson extension significantly (and before that, Stafford). His agent is going to point out that a guy with 7 starts broke the per year record, and point out that Wilson has been considered for MVP votes and demand that the Brinks truck be brought.

chris98251

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2lxcbjom said:
Part of it is that Jimmy Garoppolo and his agent just drove the price up for a Russell Wilson extension significantly (and before that, Stafford). His agent is going to point out that a guy with 7 starts broke the per year record, and point out that Wilson has been considered for MVP votes and demand that the Brinks truck be brought.

Just one truck?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Except the vikings didn't win, they got the doors blown off them in the NFC championship game.

Also the whole get younger thing misses the point a bit IMO. The Browns are a very young team and they are garbage. Youth is an important factor, but the most important factor is having ELITE talent. That's where the real question lies IMO. Can we get young, elite players on D?

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Pete has always tweaked the defense to the strengths of the players he has, we may see a bit different style of play or how we approach things, but the defense will still be formidable once he gets some of his pieces in place.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":3q4zji1v said:
This is a reset, we hope last years draft brought some DB talent along with the F.A. we signed, you look at the team and drop Wilsons salary off the top and then begin your structure, our defense was almost making twice or three times as much as the offense if you remove Wilson.

We will retool to more of a 60/40 type split still in favor of the defense, but it will hurt for a bit.

We are not going to go Gunslinger mode on offense, every time something even close to that has happened Pete has fired or got into conflict with his OC. Why Chow left in USC, he was moving the ball too fast.

The problem Pete faces right now is there are three teams if Arizona gets a QB that are better stocked then we are at the moment, When Pete took over only the 49ers were a real threat and the Rams had a defense and that was it.

I agree with most of this post. We still dont know what all we have on our offense or defense already on the team. We know some pieces are there and we have a new couple of kids on the block in Offense coaching and Defensive coaching. I estimate at least a 2 year come back to get all parts in sync...then a tweak here and there and they are back on top.