Earl Thomas desirability poll

.net pulse regarding #29

• Get Earl in now, he’s badly needed

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Trade Earl for no less than a 2nd round pick

Votes: 75 32.8%
  • Trade Earl for whatever you can get

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Let him sit out, then let him walk in 2019 (potential comp pick)

Votes: 61 26.6%
  • Earl who?

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters

TallDwarf

Reaction score
Let the fines add up. If he comes back later to accrue the year, sit him or garbage time only. Tag him so he can’t walk to another team. Use it as leverage to get a higher trade value than a potential comp pick. He signs so a trade can happen and other teams come to the party if they want him, or he signs and plays (doubtful), or he doesn’t sign and sits out another year watching 30 come and go.

Make a statement on holdouts.

But the Seahawks are good to their players, so doubt they do that. Probably an in-season injury trade so ET doesn’t have to come back to accrue.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TallDwarf":1942eewk said:
Let the fines add up. If he comes back later to accrue the year, sit him or garbage time only. Tag him so he can’t walk to another team. Use it as leverage to get a higher trade value than a potential comp pick. He signs so a trade can happen and other teams come to the party if they want him, or he signs and plays (doubtful), or he doesn’t sign and sits out another year watching 30 come and go.

But the Seahawks are good to their players, so doubt they do that. Probably an in-season injury trade so ET doesn’t have to come back to accrue.

I think the Seahawks made a statement on holdouts with Chancellor. Stay away and nothing happens. Come back and we'll talk. Earl clearly didn't learn a thing or he somehow thinks he's more special than Chancellor.

The club makes their negotiation strategy around player's contracts abundantly clear. They will not negotiate with players that hold out. They will not negotiate with players that have more than one year on their contract. They will try to take care of you if it fits within their salary and cap structure. Earl's not been paying attention.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TallDwarf":1p99p9dl said:

Make a statement on holdouts..

I think this is exactly what we're doing.

Pete and John know they're in a 2-3 year rebuild, and Earl is not a priority other than his trade value to reload the defense. So they're just going to wait for Earl to come back or a team in contention mid season that desperately needs a safety to give us a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2dyko2rf said:
TallDwarf":2dyko2rf said:

Pete and John know they're in a 2-3 year rebuild, and Earl is not a priority other than his trade value to reload the defense. So they're just going to wait for Earl to come back or a team in contention mid season that desperately needs a safety to give us a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Realistically...more like 3rd to 5th round. Make it happen!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1h7fluyx said:
Sgt. Largent":1h7fluyx said:
TallDwarf":1h7fluyx said:

We'd already get a 3rd round comp pick for Earl next year if we let him walk, so why trade him now when there's a chance someone will give us a higher pick?

I could definitely see a team in contention giving us a 2nd mid season if they think Earl's the missing piece.

If we were going to settle on a 3rd or worse, it would have already happened.

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35f6sfo4 said:
We'd already get a 3rd round comp pick for Earl next year if we let him walk, so why trade him now when there's a chance someone will give us a higher pick?

I could definitely see a team in contention giving us a 2nd mid season if they think Earl's the missing piece.

A guaranteed 3rd rd pick in 2019 draft (anywhere from #65-#96)

or

A, best case, 3rd comp pick in the 2020 draft at the tail end of the round (#97-#100).
Two things to point out:
- If he poo-poos his image/value any more this year, there's no guarantee that he'll get a contract worth a 3rd comp.
- Comp picks go *poof* the moment you start dabbling in Free Agency.

How about another option? Like a 3rd and a 5th in 2019 draft or a 2019 3rd and a decent player? 2019 3rd and a 2020 4th? How about conditional picks (he balls out, that 3rd goes to a 2nd)?

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fiwcill said:
Cyrus12":3fiwcill said:
Sgt. Largent":3fiwcill said:
TallDwarf":3fiwcill said:

^ This.

He either comes back mid-season or gets traded for a 2nd round pick. No need for the team to do a damn thing for him. As for next off-season I could even see us franchise him if they want to put pressure on him and/or another team(Cowturds) to give up a 2nd then.

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":2zlbh6ta said:
^ This.

He either comes back mid-season or gets traded for a 2nd round pick. No need for the team to do a damn thing for him. As for next off-season I could even see us franchise him if they want to put pressure on him and/or another team(Cowturds) to give up a 2nd then.

The Franchise tag is used to hold onto your best player in hopes of working out a long term deal. If JS doesn't want to give Earl an extension, why would he want to tag him next year which would give him a fully guaranteed ~$12M dollars. I understand the "make an example of him, bro!", but throwing guaranteed money at him a year after not wanting to extend him is bizzaro-world stuff.

And if teams aren't trading for him now, why would they next year if he's a year older? Either teams aren't interested (draft pick plus a huge contract) or Schneider isn't shopping him.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":1bdbo4qm said:
Sgt. Largent":1bdbo4qm said:

A guaranteed 3rd rd pick in 2019 draft (anywhere from #65-#96)

or

A, best case, 3rd comp pick in the 2020 draft at the tail end of the round (#97-#100).
Two things to point out:
- If he poo-poos his image/value any more this year, there's no guarantee that he'll get a contract worth a 3rd comp.
- Comp picks go *poof* the moment you start dabbling in Free Agency.

How about another option? Like a 3rd and a 5th in 2019 draft or a 2019 3rd and a decent player? 2019 3rd and a 2020 4th? How about conditional picks (he balls out, that 3rd goes to a 2nd)?
Great points and an overall great post. A guaranteed 2019 3rd (in my opinion even a 4th) is superior to a hoped for comp pick in 2020.

So many of the proposals by posters are either punitive or hope based. I see no short term or long term benefit to being punitive, and hope is not a good strategy. Smart businesses treat their employees well, even during termination, and ground their strategic plans in research and probability, not hope.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TallDwarf":39u1w14y said:

You nailed it! Welcome to .net!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I get a feeling that something is going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Not being paid ...and being fined will force Earl to be between and rock and a hard place. He is in a "no win" situation.....and he knows that his options are very limited.

xray

Reaction score
Earl Thomas appears to be a legend in his own mind.....H e and his handlers must be shocked at the lack of interest other teams are showing. He will get another job no doubt, but not for the $$ he wants. And like most players past their prime any contract he gets will be loaded with incentive pay. He has entered the SHOW ME years in his career.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":2tt36kco said:
The Franchise tag is used to hold onto your best player in hopes of working out a long term deal. If JS doesn't want to give Earl an extension, why would he want to tag him next year which would give him a fully guaranteed ~$12M dollars.
Earl is looking for what he believes to be his last big payday... multiple years (likely no less than 4)... some fully guaranteed money (likely only in years one and two)... and an salary average in the vicinity of Eric Berry's $13M/year.

I see the Franchise Tag as the means for the Hawks to sidestep the multiple years of his demands (that would be a big win for the club) while paying Earl close to what he expects to make and with that money fully guaranteed.

Would Earl play under the tag?... that's a big unknown... but tagging him does have some merit imo. Particularly if he reports to the team before week 1.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":2hbvqynn said:
The Franchise tag is used to hold onto your best player in hopes of working out a long term deal. If JS doesn't want to give Earl an extension, why would he want to tag him next year which would give him a fully guaranteed ~$12M dollars. I understand the "make an example of him, bro!", but throwing guaranteed money at him a year after not wanting to extend him is bizzaro-world stuff.

And if teams aren't trading for him now, why would they next year if he's a year older? Either teams aren't interested (draft pick plus a huge contract) or Schneider isn't shopping him.

1. The franchise tag is used when the two sides can't come to an agreement on the player's worth for a long term extension, AND the team still thinks the player has value and/or can play. So it's very possible that if Earl comes back and plays well that we franchise him................to not only keep him as a valuable player but for his trade value.

2. Because teams are thinking the same thing we're thinking about Earl, he has recent injury history and therefore not worth the risk of giving up a high pick AND a big extension. If he comes back, has an injury free All Pro type year? You better damn bet his value is higher next off season than this one.

chris98251

Reaction score
You tag someone who's contract is expired that you want to resign, not someone under contract still.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I fully expect him to come back game 9, get or fake an injury, then sit the rest of the season.

Fade

Reaction score
I'm thinking he comes back mid-year. Plays 1 game then promptly gets traded to another team. Similar to Duane Brown, but for not nearly as much draft capital unfortunately.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Ilinoiseyhawk":37wx8pkz said:
The Franchise tag is used to hold onto your best player in hopes of working out a long term deal.

Someone should have told Dan Snyder this. :twisted:

AVL

Reaction score
Earl destroyed his own value with the locker room stunt. Not in line with the king Earl theme at all. It also doesn't warrant a raise.
1256ASDFGHJKL;'