Earl Thomas desirability poll

.net pulse regarding #29

• Get Earl in now, he’s badly needed

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Trade Earl for no less than a 2nd round pick

Votes: 75 32.8%
  • Trade Earl for whatever you can get

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Let him sit out, then let him walk in 2019 (potential comp pick)

Votes: 61 26.6%
  • Earl who?

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigskydoc":u5bh7sbo said:
If he comes back, I hope he gets benched.

Not benched, but even when he comes back it'll take him a good 2-3 weeks to be in football shape. Cliff talked about this last week, said it doesn't matter how much Earl's working out and ready to go, he'll need a couple weeks of pads and hitting to be ready to play.

Then of course he'll probably get hurt, like what happens to most players who hold out that long.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
My desirability of Earl Thomas has always been a 10, up until last year with his comments to Cowboys dropped it to 8. He's getting older and he is thinking of final years, this I appreciate. With the age thing coming fast, I would think he needs to get to camp to stay at the top of his game, since this hasn't happened I'm at a 5. Good Luck Earl but we all need to move on.

chrispy

Reaction score
What if Earl is right?

What if Earl is worth more not playing than he is playing right now?

It's easy to say, "Show up and prove your worth. If you're worth it, you'll get paid next season" or "You've made so much already, the difference is negligible compared to the bad will you're building up." But what if he's doing exactly the right thing?

I don't know this to be true, but think about how that might be the case:
If Earl truly believes his success is mostly a result of the other players around him, he'd be absolutely correct in not stepping on the field until he gets a new contract. Now that Kam and Sherm are gone, he'll have to be individually responsible for his play. If he feels like that will result in poorer performance, he's absolutely correct in trying to get a new deal as a reflection of his past performance. In addition, the FO is absolutely correct in waiting him out. The question then becomes how much less does he think he's worth as an individual. If that margin is large, he really should wait until any team is desperate for Safety help and that team assumes he can be of value without the rest of the LOB. ... and sign for whatever he can get guaranteed. That would result in a much better deal than him showing up and performing poorly.

We're all looking at this assuming that Earl is being a diva and thinks he's worth Eric Berry money. If that were the case, it really is in his best interest to show up and play to prove it. ... and maybe that's really what's going on. On the other hand, if he expects to see a big drop off in his play (for whatever reason, but the most obvious is Kam and Sherm being gone) and therefore he knows he's not worth Eric Berry money, but still wants as much as possible, it's in his best interest to wait and negotiate a deal with as much as possible guaranteed. Then he plays with plenty of reasonable excuses why there's a drop-off and he eventually rides off into the sunset.

Obviously that's all just thinking out loud. However, if his next contract includes less in incentives and more guaranteed it'll prove to be true. If he signs a deal like Sherm's with the 9rs, we'll know that this post was not worth the time it took to read it....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chrispy":3r80eom2 said:
What if Earl is right?

What if Earl is worth more not playing than he is playing right now?...

Teams are signing lesser safeties right and left this camp, and Earl is still at home waiting for someone to "come get him."

So how is sitting at home helping increasing his value? All the question marks are still there for any team interested in him.

- has he lost a step
- can he stay healthy
- is he going to be a locker room nutjob

NONE of these questions can be answered without Earl playing. The fact is Earl and his agent GROSSLY miscalculated his market value. They thought he'd holdout and teams would be lining up to trade for him and sign him to his crazy extension demands.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Still a lot of buzz with Dallas now that they are in need of a FS. They only have one healthy FS on their roster. It would be great to get that done and procure assets to facilitate the Hawks rise to get back to the top.

chrispy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29pp4zb7 said:
chrispy":29pp4zb7 said:
What if Earl is right?

Teams are signing lesser safeties right and left this camp, and Earl is still at home waiting for someone to "come get him."

So how is sitting at home helping increasing his value? All the question marks are still there for any team interested in him.

- has he lost a step
- can he stay healthy

NONE of these questions can be answered without Earl playing. The fact is Earl and his agent GROSSLY miscalculated his market value. They thought he'd holdout and teams would be lining up to trade for him and sign him to his crazy extension demands.

I agree, and I was trying to make that last point although I'm not very eloquent. What I'm saying is that those questions aren't being answered. If Earl and his agent think that the answer to those questions largely diminishes his value, they're better to leave them unanswered. That way, there's a probability that a desperate team will be willing to take a chance. If the questions are answered and he can't perform without Kam and Sherm's support in the film room and/or on the field, he's hurt himself more than leaving the questions unanswered.

... just a thought. I have no idea if it'll play out that way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chrispy":1dq8sdo7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1dq8sdo7 said:
chrispy":1dq8sdo7 said:
What if Earl is right?

- has he lost a step
- can he stay healthy

I agree, and I was trying to make that last point although I'm not very eloquent. What I'm saying is that those questions aren't being answered. If Earl and his agent think that the answer to those questions largely diminishes his value, they're better to leave them unanswered. That way, there's a probability that a desperate team will be willing to take a chance. If the questions are answered and he can't perform without Kam and Sherm's support in the film room and/or on the field, he's hurt himself more than leaving the questions unanswered.

... just a thought. I have no idea if it'll play out that way.

My guess is Earl and his agent think that they can minimize Earl's chance of injury by holding out until week 10 and just waiting for free agency next off season.

Which is possibly a good idea on the injury front, but it doesn't get Earl any closer to the monster extension, because 6 games isn't enough to show any interested teams that you're worthy of 40M guaranteed. Even IF Earl comes back, plays well and doesn't get hurt, he'll be a year older and I highly doubt he'll get the extension he wants.

Any interested team will give him a big one year guaranteed prove it deal to prove he can do it over a whole year.............WHICH HE HAS THE CHANCE TO DO NOW WHILE YOUNGER.

Dumb.

Fade

Reaction score
Exactly. Teams are going to offer him 2 options.

1) 1 yr prove it deal.

-or-

2) Longterm deal, but very low guarantees. Similar to what Sherman got.

Good job Earl. Your holdout really payed off. Losing upwards of $6M+ was totally worth it.

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":2gp1kgq0 said:

1) 1 yr prove it deal.

-or-

Good job Earl. Your holdout really payed off. Losing upwards of $6M+ was totally worth it.

Our Earl’s latest posting, channeling his college days.

[instagram]BnHhoA0lY9k[/instagram]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":3uh30ceu said:
Fade":3uh30ceu said:

1) 1 yr prove it deal.

-or-

Our Earl’s latest posting, channeling his college days.

[instagram]BnHhoA0lY9k[/instagram]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or where he wants to go.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Just take the best offer and lets end this BS...get him out of here....

@TomPelissero
Follow Follow @TomPelissero
More
The #Cowboys remain a trade option for Earl Thomas. But my understanding is multiple other teams have reached out recently about acquiring the star safety. No one has met #Seahawks’ asking price yet and they’re not in any hurry. @nflnetwork

Fade

Reaction score
Anyone got a clue what the Hawks are asking for?

I would think a 2nd.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Pride, fear and comfort have crept into Earl's heart.

Pride- From being an all-pro player watching Eric Berry make more $ and Kam getting all that guaranteed money.
Fear- Being the smallest player on the field making full speed hits on bigger players until he is finally injured. Kam retired for the same reason, not worth the risk.
Comfort- Hanging at home with the wife & kids knowing you have enough money to last a lifetime. Better to lose a few million now than to risk injury or subpar play, against the odds of a future big contract.

Earl is the guy that got on a huge lucky streak playing blackjack and is just drunk enough to lose about half of it before he walks away from the table.

Too bad, he's likely cost himself double digit millions and a place in Canton... not to mention the ring of honor.
I hope the front office deal's with Earl's nonsense accordingly and this will be a lesson to players concerning their future contracts. Also, IMHO Earl Thomas isn't even the best FS to play for the Seahawks, that honor goes to Ken Easley and he played strong safety. Sometimes you just can't win.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So, do we get to add Earl’s missed checks to this year’s salary cap?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3gi82b3s said:
So, do we get to add Earl’s missed checks to this year’s salary cap?
I believe so. The regular season gamechecks that is.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
700k in fees, has he put out an letter to fans at all. Hard to stay a ET fan after this crap.

hawks85

Reaction score
Mad Dog":sj4e434j said:
TallDwarf":sj4e434j said:
Let the fines add up. If he comes back later to accrue the year, sit him or garbage time only. Tag him so he can’t walk to another team. Use it as leverage to get a higher trade value than a potential comp pick. He signs so a trade can happen and other teams come to the party if they want him, or he signs and plays (doubtful), or he doesn’t sign and sits out another year watching 30 come and go.

Make a statement on holdouts.

But the Seahawks are good to their players, so doubt they do that. Probably an in-season injury trade so ET doesn’t have to come back to accrue.

I think the Seahawks made a statement on holdouts with Chancellor. Stay away and nothing happens. Come back and we'll talk. Earl clearly didn't learn a thing or he somehow thinks he's more special than Chancellor.

The club makes their negotiation strategy around player's contracts abundantly clear. They will not negotiate with players that hold out. They will not negotiate with players that have more than one year on their contract. They will try to take care of you if it fits within their salary and cap structure. Earl's not been paying attention.
I would make an example out of him. This is so stupid. So Earl you want dallas...Nope your not going anywhere. He has to come back at some point for the season to count unless he is traded. Doesnt Earl realize he has no leverage whatsoever or is he that stupid. Its clear to everybody on this board he doesnt want to be here...why I dont know. I would lock his ass out of the building with no access until he decides to return.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2rxfux21 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1035959656252751872[/tweet]
Half a million in cap space every week. That’s a positive! 8)

Latest posts